GULC c/o 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
beef wellington

Silver

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Post by beef wellington » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:03 pm

ktalene wrote:Anyone moving from either the Pacific Northwest or from Chicago area? I'm coming from Seattle but grew up in Chicago and would love to find another die-hard Cubs fan!

I'm interested to see how the housing lottery goes. They say in past years they were able to accommodate all first years who wanted housing but if this site is any indication, seems most of us are in the lottery. I hope they let us know waaaay in advance if they don't have enough space.
I'm reppin the PNW

(and the PT program--hai future section mates)

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:02 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rifka

New

Post by Rifka » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:14 pm

I've been lurking on this board for a while, but thought I would post now that I have decided to attend. I just mailed in my $400 seat deposit today! And then spent a couple of hours looking into housing options both on campus and in surrounding neighborhoods.

I can't wait to meet all of you in August!

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:41 pm

Welcome!
Housing options are intimidating, but I think the city is big enough to hold all of us. :)

jml8756

Bronze

Post by jml8756 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:28 am

Does anyone know if the deposit needs to be in their office by the 3rd or just postmarked on that date? I'm waiting on a decision from another school and it might come down to the wire...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Delinquent

New

Post by Delinquent » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:25 pm

Anyone have any news on the Blue Form?

hugtrees

New

Post by hugtrees » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:38 pm

ihurtmyselftoday wrote:
Snarleyow wrote: from philly originally. stoked to meet some hoyas.
I'll be moving down from Philly too! I love D.C. and I'm especially excited that it's so close to Philly.

I'm actually heading down for a day trip on Wednesday to attend a presentation at Hotung. Should be awesome.

Is anyone here chosing to live off campus? I'm looking into the Glover Park area (near GU main campus). The area has a bus stop that takes you right to Logan's Circle so it's off metro line but the bus makes it pretty easy to get there. I'm hoping to find a house share in one of the nice brownstones.
i'm living off campus, since i come with a furry four-legged sidekick (the world's most adorable greyhound).

i've been doing a lot of craigslist searching, and most of what's on there now is for june 1. there are two "luxury" buildings close to campus - meridian and masscourt - that a lot of students live in. i checked out an apartment in the meridian (1 bd w/ den and "sunroom") that they had three people living in, for fairly reasonable rent. i can't live in either, since they have dog limitations, and they are pretty expensive, but they might be worth investigating for anyone who wants to live close by.

i think i'm going to try and find an august 1 lease on a multi-bedroom rowhouse somewhere in dupont/columbia heights/adams morgan/shaw (pretty much anywhere reasonably safe, really), and get some fellow 1Ls to join me. anyone here interested in rowhouse-hunting with me (and my dog)? pm me if you want more info.

Torvon

Bronze

Post by Torvon » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:50 pm

Delinquent wrote:Anyone have any news on the Blue Form?
On the memo that came in the financial aid letter filling out the blue form is listed in the "After Mondy May 3, 2010 but by Tuesday, June 1, 2010" section. I'm assuming they'll make it available on May 3rd.

I decided to not accept the Federal Work Study aid so I declined it online, however it seems to accept the rest of my financial aid I have to return a sign copied of the financial aid letter (not sure why you can't do that part online). Anyway, does anyone know how to request that the money I would have received for Federal Work Study be shifted into GradPLUS loans or something? I still need that money, I just don't want to worry about having to work during the first year.

ihurtmyselftoday

New

Post by ihurtmyselftoday » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:37 pm

hugtrees wrote: i checked out an apartment in the meridian (1 bd w/ den and "sunroom") that they had three people living in, for fairly reasonable rent. i can't live in either, since they have dog limitations, and they are pretty expensive, but they might be worth investigating for anyone who wants to live close by.
I saw an ad on craigslist for the meridian earlier today ("sunroom" for rent) and i decided to look the place up on apartmentratings.com to see what people have to say about it. overall, pretty bad reviews but i found this one pretty funny (fwiw, the guy comes off like a jerk, but still, after reading complaints like this, i have decided that i won't be staying at the meridian):

"The first year and a half there were professionals residiing in the building. Then the leasing consultants began recruiting trashy kids from Georgetown Law. Once I was in the elevator and overheard ---- (one of the former leasing agents) encouraging the students to rent out the sunroom to make it into a bedroom. The students live like refugees here and have more than the occupancy amount in the apartments. Three people in one bedrooms, 5 people in two bedrooms, etc. The main reason why I HATE living in this place is because of the students who do not control their guests. This is a controlled ACCESS building and the students think it is okay to allow any and everyone into the building including homeless people. When you dont, they become very disrespectful. Oftentimes on the weekend you see the students drunk, vomiting and leaving trash in the building and management allows them to drink in front of the building at all hours of the morning. The property manager does not care because she does not pay market rent to live on the property. The DOOR MEN are awesome!!!! They try their best to do a great job."

Read more: http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/DC ... z0mMIBsfV3

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stace83

New

Post by stace83 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:07 pm

I am happy to say that I'm officially joining you all at Georgetown! Can't wait to be a hoya lawya :) I'm also looking forward to meeting you all this summer!

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:48 pm

stace83 wrote:I am happy to say that I'm officially joining you all at Georgetown! Can't wait to be a hoya lawya :) I'm also looking forward to meeting you all this summer!
Welcome and Congrats!!!!

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:28 pm

Hey, everyone! Don't forget to do your Dean's Certification ASAP if you haven't done it already :)

And deposits due Monday :)

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:56 pm

starrydecisus wrote:Hey, everyone! Don't forget to do your Dean's Certification ASAP if you haven't done it already :)

Done and done :)

I am at the point where I have stopped caring about school. It's so bad. I haven't even started the project for my most important class and it's due in like 2 weeks. Oh well. I've checked out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:11 pm

Kim617 wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:Hey, everyone! Don't forget to do your Dean's Certification ASAP if you haven't done it already :)

Done and done :)

I am at the point where I have stopped caring about school. It's so bad. I haven't even started the project for my most important class and it's due in like 2 weeks. Oh well. I've checked out.
Yeah, it has gotten bad for me too. I only have a week left though with 3 projects to do..

I am trying to pull it together though.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:29 pm

Oh snap that's right. Thanks Starry, have to send that in tomorrow.

I'm last minute as usual. Bottom 10% of the class here I come.

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:54 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tigrelis

New

Post by tigrelis » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:17 pm

Is the deposit a postmark deadline or receive-by??

I was waiting for my finaid to come in the mail, but they sent it to my home address instead, for some reason..

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Torvon

Bronze

Post by Torvon » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:10 am

Are we suppose to receive some kind of confirmation that our Dean's Certification was received? I gave my to the office of student affairs a few weeks back but I haven't heard anything from GULC.

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:35 am

Torvon wrote:

Are we suppose to receive some kind of confirmation that our Dean's Certification was received? I gave my to the office of student affairs a few weeks back but I haven't heard anything from GULC.
Yeah, mine was sent a couple of weeks ago and I never heard back. I guess we just assume they got it?

Interminable_Waiting

Bronze

Post by Interminable_Waiting » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:06 am

Kim617 wrote:
Torvon wrote:

Yeah, mine was sent a couple of weeks ago and I never heard back. I guess we just assume they got it?
I never heard anything either. I imagine they will let us know if they have not received it.

jml8756

Bronze

Post by jml8756 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:36 pm

tigrelis wrote:Is the deposit a postmark deadline or receive-by??

I was waiting for my finaid to come in the mail, but they sent it to my home address instead, for some reason..
I called about this because I am still waiting to hear from another school hopefully by the end of this week. They said they preferred to have it in by Monday (prob for the benefit of the WL), but they will accept it if it's postmarked on Monday.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

iamtaw

Bronze

Post by iamtaw » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:40 pm

can't decide how to rank my housing choices. THIS MIGHT MAKE OR BREAK MY LIFE!!!
[strike]t-14[/strike] large bedroom or bust?

gobears09

Bronze

Post by gobears09 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:13 pm

iamtaw wrote:can't decide how to rank my housing choices. THIS MIGHT MAKE OR BREAK MY LIFE!!!
[strike]t-14[/strike] large bedroom or bust?

Haha I know! I think I might have to pass on Gerwirz if I dont have a living room...

tigrelis

New

Post by tigrelis » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:14 pm

Last edited by tigrelis on Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

gobears09

Bronze

Post by gobears09 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:13 pm

tigrelis wrote:I just got the email for Law Center Scholarship!! $30K per year yayy, good thing I sent in my deposit yesterday anyway haha. So stoked about this!
Wow congrats! Is this one of those things given magically, that you never applied for? Numbers twin, you make me jealous.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”