GULC c/o 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
mulberry.tree

New

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Post by mulberry.tree » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:03 pm

MSPeast wrote:
mulberry.tree wrote:So I have financial aid question. I'm out of town but someone just emailed me that a letter came saying my loans were approved... but from what they told me it wasn't the full amount I requested. Has this happened to anyone else? Is it possible that it was just the approval for one type of loan (ie gradplus or something)? Oh and I'm working with the office to fix the fact that I can't log into my access anymore. I don't know if anyone here will have any idea of what I'm talking about, but I'm just freakin out here a little!!! Basically, should I be panicking guys? :shock:
Yes, mine was just for the GradPlus amount. I think approval of the Stafford happened a while back, or is automatic, or something. For example, only the GradPlus loan required a credit check.

Phew! Thanks a lot guys. Now I can relax :)

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:58 pm

I decided to bitly the section spreadsheet, here's the link if you need it. --LinkRemoved--

I'm thinking of adding another sheet for the book list for each section.

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:11 pm

Hello all,

I just visited the dorms. I love my room and it is much bigger than I thought it would be. I was scared it'd be closet size, but no it was good. I have lots of pictures.

The desks do have a light built into them, as do the kitchen areas. The single room has plenty of outlets and the rest probably have a similar amount. We will have wired and wireless internet.

Saveway was really nice and had lots of fruit. It was a little expensive, but with deals not bad. I felt safe walking there and back. Lots of ladies were walking alone a few minutes ago. Only place even a little scary was oddly a group of people behind the dorms. Not sure what they were doing.

I think I met the smurf avatar girl (sorry I know your name starts with a g (gilgamesh?) on here, but I can't remember it - I am on a blackberry so can't easily look it up. Feel free to pm me).

Lastly, everyone at the school was really nice again. I went to the gift shop too and acted total tourist.
Let me know if anyone has any questions. Starry probably answered all of them already though. My hotel air isn't working so I have to wait around to get it fixed.

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:29 pm

Unitas wrote: I think I met the smurf avatar girl (sorry I know your name starts with a g (gilgamesh?)
:lol:

Volsi, my MacBook Pro is here and so is my to-be free iPod touch! Although I only have about an hour or so before I head out for the night so I'm still typing on my Dell right now.

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:44 am

MSPeast wrote:
Unitas wrote: I think I met the smurf avatar girl (sorry I know your name starts with a g (gilgamesh?)
:lol:

Volsi, my MacBook Pro is here and so is my to-be free iPod touch! Although I only have about an hour or so before I head out for the night so I'm still typing on my Dell right now.
Yay. I have totally legal trial copies of all the software you may need. :D
I have all the Apple diagnostics for the current computers - I downloaded them before I quit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cube

New

Post by Cube » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:31 am

Do you guys think we will be able to put a small refrigerator in our rooms at gewirz? I'm in a 3 bedroom and im sure there wont be enough room in the fridge for frozen food for all of us.

Anyone else planning on getting one of these?

And what about a not so small one... like this? --LinkRemoved--
Sorry, i eat a lot. hehe. I have a feeling gewirz admins might ask questions if they see me pulling something like that into the elevators.

softrevolution

New

Post by softrevolution » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:08 am

Does anybody know if I can visit GULC, especially Gewirz during the weekends? I want to drive down sometime but can only make it on the weekends.

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:18 pm

softrevolution wrote:Does anybody know if I can visit GULC, especially Gewirz during the weekends? I want to drive down sometime but can only make it on the weekends.
Starrydecisus was able to visit so I'm pretty sure you can visit this time of year. I don't know if she went on a weekend or on weekdays, though.

wackadoodle

New

Post by wackadoodle » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:31 pm

MSPeast wrote:
wackadoodle wrote:I'm out of the country right now and stupidly forgot the myaccess password- was our default something simple like social or bday or something? Not being able to check has been killing me!
Do you know your Georgetown ID number?
nope, everything is at home- I get the feeling I just have to wait until I get back- not good for my obsessive personality...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:38 pm

MSPeast wrote:
softrevolution wrote:Does anybody know if I can visit GULC, especially Gewirz during the weekends? I want to drive down sometime but can only make it on the weekends.
Starrydecisus was able to visit so I'm pretty sure you can visit this time of year. I don't know if she went on a weekend or on weekdays, though.
I planned my trip so that I would be there on a Monday to be able to visit. I don't think you'll be able to get the visitor's pass from the admissions office on the weekend, but I know Gewirz/Housing Office has strange hours. Maybe they're open on the weekend? I would just shoot an email over to them.

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:33 am

volsi wrote:
You're not my type. I don't go for criers.
You're welcome for opening a world of happiness to you then.

"The chemical bonds formed by the duct in the creation of primate tears ... [creates] an incredibly viscous lubricant that the scientific community has yet to fully explore the benefits of."

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:44 pm

So, gilchristh or anyone who knows:

Should I be concerned that I'm in the section with a bunch of Global Law Scholars when I'm not one myself? I'm worried my section might have a disproportionate amount of overachievers and I'll have to work even harder. (Not that I expected this to be easy or anything.)

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:40 pm

Come to Section 4, we get Mimosas in class on Fridays.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:47 pm

volsi wrote:Come to Section 4, we get Mimosas in class on Fridays.
As awesome as that sounds, I think I'm gonna stick with the having no classes on Friday at all gig.

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:16 pm

MSPeast wrote:So, gilchristh or anyone who knows:

Should I be concerned that I'm in the section with a bunch of Global Law Scholars when I'm not one myself? I'm worried my section might have a disproportionate amount of overachievers and I'll have to work even harder. (Not that I expected this to be easy or anything.)
I don't think you have anything to worry about, honestly. Just because they put in extra effort, doesn't mean they have the ability to do well in school.

Section 4 RULES! Ha, we'll see actually. It'll be awesome just cause I'm there, naturally. :P

nowinGA

Bronze

Post by nowinGA » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:29 am

volsi wrote:I decided to bitly the section spreadsheet, here's the link if you need it. --LinkRemoved--

I'm thinking of adding another sheet for the book list for each section.
Thanks volsi! Apparently section 3 types are not also TLS types...

BTW, anyone, why is the night division section 7? Just curious...what happened to 5 and 6? Was the school ever so big as to also have a 5 and 6 in the day division?

gilchristh

Bronze

Post by gilchristh » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:21 pm

MSPeast wrote:So, gilchristh or anyone who knows:

Nah, not really. The Global Law Scholars program is small, and some of the GLSers are in the evening program (PT). Section 2 gets just as broad a mix of student types as the other traditional sections; you'll just notice that many people in your section will be applying for international internships during the special international program. So definitely stay on your toes, but first year law school grades are a total crapshoot in oh so many ways. No one's got a defined edge over anyone once the first day of class arrives.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gilchristh

Bronze

Post by gilchristh » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:23 pm

nowinGA wrote:BTW, anyone, why is the night division section 7? Just curious...what happened to 5 and 6? Was the school ever so big as to also have a 5 and 6 in the day division?
I always wondered that, too, and no one's been able to offer me any insight other than "that's the way it has always been." As far as everyone I've spoken to is concerned, there's never been a section 5 or 6. Just another Georgetown Law peculiarity. :?:

gilchristh

Bronze

Post by gilchristh » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:28 pm

Unitas wrote:I think I met the smurf avatar girl (sorry I know your name starts with a g (gilgamesh?) on here, but I can't remember it - I am on a blackberry so can't easily look it up. Feel free to pm me).

Lastly, everyone at the school was really nice again.
I'm not back in DC until August, so it wasn't me, but the people of Georgetown Law are really pretty awesome. You might have met the other Heather G who is a student ambassador. Oddly, there were two of us who were first years last year and we were both very active student ambassadors. :)

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:38 pm

I'm getting so excited!!!!!

Trying to make lists to keep myself organized.

Do we have any information on Gewirz (Gee Whiz!) move-in yet, other than that it's Aug. 21? Trying to plan the move up! I remember we found that wayyy old housing packet that had move-in times based on floors, but I haven't heard anything for this year.

Bought more sweaters! Preparing for that winter (and fall)!!!

gilchristh

Bronze

Post by gilchristh » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:52 pm

starrydecisus wrote:I'm getting so excited!!!!!

Do we have any information on Gewirz (Gee Whiz!) move-in yet, other than that it's Aug. 21? Trying to plan the move up! I remember we found that wayyy old housing packet that had move-in times based on floors, but I haven't heard anything for this year.

If I recall correctly, everyone gets scheduled for a move-in slot (I think 15 or 30 minutes), during which you can drive up to the side entrance and use big ol' luggage carts provided by Gewirz to cart your stuff up to your room. It's all organized very well, and there are people available to help facilitate stuff (though you have to bring your own people to help you load/unload). I can't swear to this since I didn't live in Gewirz, but I'm like 95% sure that's right. Look up splitt3r in the user list and PM him if ya want confirmation.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:57 pm

gilchristh wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:I'm getting so excited!!!!!

If I recall correctly, everyone gets scheduled for a move-in slot (I think 15 or 30 minutes), during which you can drive up to the side entrance and use big ol' luggage carts provided by Gewirz to cart your stuff up to your room. It's all organized very well, and there are people available to help facilitate stuff (though you have to bring your own people to help you load/unload). I can't swear to this since I didn't live in Gewirz, but I'm like 95% sure that's right. Look up splitt3r in the user list and PM him if ya want confirmation.
Starry, my guide told me they just mailed out (maybe going to instead of just done) a packet last week of information on move it. That should answer all of our questions and hopefully contains a list of stuff to do. My mail wasn't delivered today (I hate USPS) so hopefully you'll get it today.

Just installed Windows 7.. Hopefully I'll start to like it sometime.

nowinGA

Bronze

Post by nowinGA » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:19 pm

I got my Gewirz move in stuff in the mail today. It is pretty much the same as that "old" one we had posted here a bit back...

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:43 pm

billing statements are available. Just what we all want to see! haha.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:46 pm

starrydecisus wrote:billing statements are available. Just what we all want to see! haha.

Yikes, I prefer not to see actual numbers...... :|

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”