GULC c/o 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Kim617

Silver

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Post by Kim617 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:52 pm

Got my package today! It's nice, I thought it was cool. Like the DC map. Thanks Georgetown!

dancinginseptember

New

Post by dancinginseptember » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:13 am

Kim617 wrote:
dancinginseptember wrote:do we have a facebook group yet? if so, can someone please send the link?

i spent last weekend in DC and had such a wonderful time. my friend brought a GULC 1L along for the shenanigans. she only had the best things to say. i'm very happy with this prospect. :)
i looked for one but couldn't find anything :(
aw. we should get on that soon? i'm keeping myself off of facebook for a while, but will join once i return! :D

also - yay for hoyas making it that far in the big east!

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:45 pm

dancinginseptember wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
dancinginseptember wrote:do we have a facebook group yet? if so, can someone please send the link?

i spent last weekend in DC and had such a wonderful time. my friend brought a GULC 1L along for the shenanigans. she only had the best things to say. i'm very happy with this prospect. :)
i looked for one but couldn't find anything :(
aw. we should get on that soon? i'm keeping myself off of facebook for a while, but will join once i return! :D

also - yay for hoyas making it that far in the big east!
yes, definitely! should one of us make one or is there going to be like an official one? maybe that's a dumb question? lol

Interminable_Waiting

Bronze

Post by Interminable_Waiting » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:45 am

10 days till the ASW... I'm getting pretty excited about Georgetown. I keep flipping through that leather binder we received.

Also, I finally read up on the LRAP and it looks awesome.

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:17 pm

Interminable_Waiting wrote:10 days till the ASW... I'm getting pretty excited about Georgetown. I keep flipping through that leather binder we received.
i know i feel like i've memorized it, i look at it so much.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Torvon

Bronze

Post by Torvon » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:07 pm

Interminable_Waiting wrote:I finally read up on the LRAP and it looks awesome.
They have a video on their website of the person in charge of LRAP reviewing the new program that is very informative. In short, as long as you work for government or non-profit and make 75k a year or less then GULC takes care of your loan payments until they are forgiven by the federal government. You just have to make sure you take care of the details (ie only take out federal loans, file taxes separate from your spouse if your combined is over the 75k limit, etc). Also if you go over 75k you don't lose all the benefits, they just expect you to help out a little in larger increments depending on your exact salary. I think my favorite part of the video is when she just flat out says, "Look, if you do this right you can go to law school for free."

Cedes

New

Post by Cedes » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:40 pm

Hello everyone! I have been reading everyone's comments and finally decided to post. I received my accceptance last month. Georgetown was my #2 so unless I'm accepted at my #1...nevermind I should be attending GULC in the fall. I will be at the open house on the 25th & 26th of this month. I am nearly certain I will be going to Georgetown; I am currently in D.C. for an internship and went to see the Law Center last month. D.C. is an awesome city; there is so much to do, so much to see! I'm excited about the Georgetown padfolios! A few of you were wondering what they are for...when you complete an internship or anything for that matter, you can use it as opposed to a notepad or folder. I did an internship last year and all the law students brought them to work; it is more professional. I suggest everyone get their financial aid done ASAP. Hopefully your fasfa has long been completed; turn in the yellow form. For those of us who may qualify for need-based, go to the accepted students and complete the NeedAccess. Also if you are 100% sure you want to attend Georgetown DO NOT pay your tuition deposit, fill out the tuition waiver, but you will have to withdraw your other apps- which shouldn't matter if you are sure.

*Who here will be attending the open house this month?

*Also, I started searching for the facebook group when I got my acceptance. Lol to no avail. I will reactivate my profile to create one and will post the link here so everyone can join.

I look forward to meeting some of you =)

dancinginseptember

New

Post by dancinginseptember » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:44 pm

Thanks, Cedes!

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:01 pm

Cedes wrote:Hello everyone! I have been reading everyone's comments and finally decided to post. I received my accceptance last month. Georgetown was my #2 so unless I'm accepted at my #1...nevermind I should be attending GULC in the fall. I will be at the open house on the 25th & 26th of this month. I am nearly certain I will be going to Georgetown; I am currently in D.C. for an internship and went to see the Law Center last month. D.C. is an awesome city; there is so much to do, so much to see! I'm excited about the Georgetown padfolios! A few of you were wondering what they are for...when you complete an internship or anything for that matter, you can use it as opposed to a notepad or folder. I did an internship last year and all the law students brought them to work; it is more professional. I suggest everyone get their financial aid done ASAP. Hopefully your fasfa has long been completed; turn in the yellow form. For those of us who may qualify for need-based, go to the accepted students and complete the NeedAccess. Also if you are 100% sure you want to attend Georgetown DO NOT pay your tuition deposit, fill out the tuition waiver, but you will have to withdraw your other apps- which shouldn't matter if you are sure.

*Also, I started searching for the facebook group when I got my acceptance. Lol to no avail. I will reactivate my profile to create one and will post the link here so everyone can join.

I'll definitely be at the open house! I'm mulling over a money offer from Fordham, but I'm pretty sure I'll be at Georgetown. It's definitely going to hurt withdrawing that Columbia WL, but I doubt the WL gives me any chance anyway, so I'll probably end up doing the tuition waiver. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cedes

New

Post by Cedes » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:05 pm

Hey everyone! Please join the Georgetown c/o 2013 Facebook group:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=3 ... t_info=all

Cedes

New

Post by Cedes » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:15 pm

Kim617 wrote:
Cedes wrote:Hello everyone! I have been reading everyone's comments and finally decided to post. I received my accceptance last month. Georgetown was my #2 so unless I'm accepted at my #1...nevermind I should be attending GULC in the fall. I will be at the open house on the 25th & 26th of this month. I am nearly certain I will be going to Georgetown; I am currently in D.C. for an internship and went to see the Law Center last month. D.C. is an awesome city; there is so much to do, so much to see! I'm excited about the Georgetown padfolios! A few of you were wondering what they are for...when you complete an internship or anything for that matter, you can use it as opposed to a notepad or folder. I did an internship last year and all the law students brought them to work; it is more professional. I suggest everyone get their financial aid done ASAP. Hopefully your fasfa has long been completed; turn in the yellow form. For those of us who may qualify for need-based, go to the accepted students and complete the NeedAccess. Also if you are 100% sure you want to attend Georgetown DO NOT pay your tuition deposit, fill out the tuition waiver, but you will have to withdraw your other apps- which shouldn't matter if you are sure.

I'll definitely be at the open house! I'm mulling over a money offer from Fordham, but I'm pretty sure I'll be at Georgetown. It's definitely going to hurt withdrawing that Columbia WL, but I doubt the WL gives me any chance anyway, so I'll probably end up doing the tuition waiver. :)
I know! Still we have until May 3rd to turn it in, so I don't think you should worry about holding out. But get everything else in just in case. I have a Duke application, which is why I haven't done it yet.
I should see you at the open house! Feel free to join the group and facebook me, I'm like the only member.

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:22 pm

Cedes wrote:
Kim617 wrote:

I know! Still we have until May 3rd to turn it in, so I don't think you should worry about holding out. But get everything else in just in case. I have a Duke application, which is why I haven't done it yet.
I should see you at the open house! Feel free to join the group and facebook me, I'm like the only member.
Ok, I requested to join. Accept me!

gators88

New

Post by gators88 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:43 pm

I just submitted my housing application, and it became very surreal to me that I will be in DC in 5 months.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gators88

New

Post by gators88 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:56 pm

Also, do you think its necessary to make the group private, and new members require approval? Might limit people from signing up.

Cedes

New

Post by Cedes » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:25 pm

gators88 wrote:Also, do you think its necessary to make the group private, and new members require approval? Might limit people from signing up.
Lol I forgot to change the settings, I thought I was getting requests because I created it. P.S. D.C. is a big change from Gainesville =)

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:26 pm

gators88 wrote:I just submitted my housing application, and it became very surreal to me that I will be in DC in 5 months.
Ah, I have to do that! I think Gewirz is a good fit for me, I'm very excited to be living somewhere besides NY (love nyc, grew up here, but could use a change of scenery). I did a semester at UMiami and it didn't work for me. I love DC, though, so I can't wait.

Ha, go hurricanes btw :D

gators88

New

Post by gators88 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:32 pm

Yea, it is. Thats why I'm excited to live in Gewirz. I won't know anyone in the city my age, so it will be good to have some folks in the same boat to explore things with. I am definitely beyond stoked about it though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cedes

New

Post by Cedes » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:47 pm

Downtown is not too far from the law center. Chinatown (awesome!) is not far and when I get off work that's where I go. The metro is very easy to grasp. I'm from Fl as well and this past winter was Horrible (the government was closed for a week.) Now it's warmer and the cherry blossoms will bloom soon; I'm sure you two will hear about it (apparently it's a pretty big deal.) If you two would like to get a heads up on the layout of the city, the metro, and where the Law Center is go to:

http://samaw.com/wp-content/uploads/200 ... -Crash.jpg

The Law Center is between Judiciary and Union on the Red Line.

gators88

New

Post by gators88 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:48 pm

Awesome, I'm actually coming this weekend to check it all out. Unfortunately I have a midterm during the ASW so this weekend it is. I'll definitely do some explorin'

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:55 pm

Cedes wrote:Downtown is not too far from the law center. Chinatown (awesome!) is not far and when I get off work that's where I go. The metro is very easy to grasp. I'm from Fl as well and this past winter was Horrible (the government was closed for a week.) Now it's warmer and the cherry blossoms will bloom soon; I'm sure you two will hear about it (apparently it's a pretty big deal.) If you two would like to get a heads up on the layout of the city, the metro, and where the Law Center is go to:

http://samaw.com/wp-content/uploads/200 ... -Crash.jpg

The Law Center is between Judiciary and Union on the Red Line.
Thanks! I've been to DC a few times, and to be honest, ANYTHING is easy after learning the NY subway system! I was running around DC like a pro, it's such a good, simple system.

I've heard the cherry blossoms are awesome, though I'm allergic to everything so I can't imagine I'll enjoy them all that much :D

As far as shopping, is there anything good around the law school? Shopping is my relaxation and I hope there are some good, cheap stores! Dare I say a Forever21?

js87

Bronze

Post by js87 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:56 pm

Kim617 wrote:
gators88 wrote:I just submitted my housing application, and it became very surreal to me that I will be in DC in 5 months.
Ah, I have to do that! I think Gewirz is a good fit for me, I'm very excited to be living somewhere besides NY (love nyc, grew up here, but could use a change of scenery). I did a semester at UMiami and it didn't work for me. I love DC, though, so I can't wait.

Wow, not to e-stalk but we have some eerie similarities here. I know we both spoke a couple weeks ago about the Georgetown vs. Fordham thing, since we were both sort of considering both. I'm from NY originally too, but South Florida now... I did a exactly one semester at UM too, and it wasn't for me either. I actually transferred there from my undergrad and transferred back the next semester because I hated Miami (the city, not so much the school). Now I'm looking forward to moving to a REAL city, either DC or NY. Right now it's certainly looking like DC.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:59 pm

js87 wrote:
Kim617 wrote:

Wow, not to e-stalk but we have some eerie similarities here. I know we both spoke a couple weeks ago about the Georgetown vs. Fordham thing, since we were both sort of considering both. I'm from NY originally too, but South Florida now... I did a exactly one semester at UM too, and it wasn't for me either. I actually transferred there from my undergrad and transferred back the next semester because I hated Miami (the city, not so much the school). Now I'm looking forward to moving to a REAL city, either DC or NY. Right now it's certainly looking like DC.
haha wow. yeah, i started out there, and hated the city. LOVED the school, thought it was awesome, plus i've been a cane fan since i was little. but miami is crap (no offense to anyone from there :wink: ). honestly, my hair could just not stand the humidity.

i'm thinking DC as well. i didn't like fordham when i visited, and i think that you really have to love the place you're going to be for three years. i'm definitely going to miss NY, but i've loved DC every time i've visited, and i think it'll be a good experience. have you decided between the two schools yet for sure?

js87

Bronze

Post by js87 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:05 pm

Kim617 wrote:
js87 wrote:
Kim617 wrote:

haha wow. yeah, i started out there, and hated the city. LOVED the school, thought it was awesome, plus i've been a cane fan since i was little. but miami is crap (no offense to anyone from there :wink: ). honestly, my hair could just not stand the humidity.

i'm thinking DC as well. i didn't like fordham when i visited, and i think that you really have to love the place you're going to be for three years. i'm definitely going to miss NY, but i've loved DC every time i've visited, and i think it'll be a good experience. have you decided between the two schools yet for sure?
I hear ya about Miami. I love the 'Canes, but Miami-Dade county itself is terrible. I've visited DC a few times and really liked the city. I could definitely see myself there. But overall I'm one of those people that tend to think NYC is the best place on earth, and I'd like to ultimately end up there. I haven't totally made up my mind, but I'm leaning heavily towards Georgetown now even though it's not New York. I just really, really love the school.

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:07 pm

js87 wrote: But overall I'm one of those people that tend to think NYC is the best place on earth
Ha, I hear that. It's only 3 hours away by train from DC!

Cedes

New

Post by Cedes » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:08 pm

gator: If you have questions on where to go and the best way to figure out how to get there, feel free to ask.

Kim: Chinatown would be the closest place to shop. There's an H&M there =) I'm not sure about Forever. You would probably have to take the metro to the nearest mall in Pentagon city (Yellow) or White Flint (Red). Coming from having a car in Fl, I was so relieved that this metro system is by color. Here's a better map:

--LinkRemoved--

Lol the cherry blossom festival is coming up, you'll have to do it at least once, otherwise people won't leave you alone.
My city is not crap!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”