GULC c/o 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Kim617

Silver

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Post by Kim617 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:22 pm

Olivio Pastimante wrote:Hi!

I am an international applicant and I am considering many top US law schools currently. I had Georgetown as my top choice originally, but was informed in another thread that "job prospects" at Georgetown are not very good compared to schools like NYU and Columbia. I am now having to rethink my list of schools. I was just wondering if those of you that chose to go to Georgetown faced a similar dilemma and, if so, what helped you overcome it and choose Georgetown. I am really interested in hearing about things related to "job prospects" specifically, but any help would be great.

Thanks!
Sei italiano?

I got rejected from NYU and WL at Columbia, but they were really my top choices because I'm from NY. When I got accepted to Georgetown, I wasn't thinking that I'd attend. However, as I read more about the school, and visited, it completely made me sure in my mind that it was the place for me. As far as job prospects, what exactly are you looking to do? Georgetown is no slouch, though if you want NY big law then Columbia and NYU would certainly be better. I am interested in International Law, more specifically Comparative law and a possible government job, so Georgetown is probably the best place for me, especially considering their loan repayment program.

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:27 pm

phillygovteacher wrote:
I've started the dreaded apartment search and after extensive touring around the city Friday and Saturday, I've created a loose ranking of my neighborhood preferences, with Dupont Circle the current #1. Is anyone else considering the Dupont area at this point? And for all of the DC experts/residents here, is Dupont Circle good value or is my top pick overrated? Any other neighborhood suggestions that are decently priced/convenient to GULC/semi-interesting for people in their 20's/you yourself are considering?
Dupont Circle is awesome, but it is expensive. It's like living in the Union Square/Greenwich Village area in NYC - you're paying for location. It is, however, a good safe neighborhood.
My main criterion is whether I can walk to school within a reasonable amount of time (20 min). Somewhat limiting.

I've spoken to some alums. A few lived in luxury developments - the high rises. I don't know if I can convince myself to do that, though. So expensive! Maybe I'll just tell myself I'll have a really fancy apartment after law school.

beef wellington

Silver

Post by beef wellington » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:28 pm

I am an international applicant and I am considering many top US law schools currently. I had Georgetown as my top choice originally, but was informed in another thread that "job prospects" at Georgetown are not very good compared to schools like NYU and Columbia. I am now having to rethink my list of schools. I was just wondering if those of you that chose to go to Georgetown faced a similar dilemma and, if so, what helped you overcome it and choose Georgetown. I am really interested in hearing about things related to "job prospects" specifically, but any help would be great.

Thanks!
This has got to be a flame, putting "job prospects" in quotes like that, lol.

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:29 pm

beef wellington wrote:

Thanks!
haha didn't even notice that

Interminable_Waiting

Bronze

Post by Interminable_Waiting » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:32 pm

Kim617 wrote:
beef wellington wrote:

Thanks!
haha didn't even notice that
I was thinking more that it was that English was his second language... Flame is always possible though. This is TLS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:36 pm

Kim617 wrote:

Thanks!
Sei italiano?

I got rejected from NYU and WL at Columbia, but they were really my top choices because I'm from NY. When I got accepted to Georgetown, I wasn't thinking that I'd attend. However, as I read more about the school, and visited, it completely made me sure in my mind that it was the place for me. As far as job prospects, what exactly are you looking to do? Georgetown is no slouch, though if you want NY big law then Columbia and NYU would certainly be better. I am interested in International Law, more specifically Comparative law and a possible government job, so Georgetown is probably the best place for me, especially considering their loan repayment program.
It's an elite school, and I think the difference between it and places ranked 6-8 places higher isn't that drastic in terms of placement. If you're happy here, as I found I was when I visited, you're more likely to do well and learn more. If you go to a school you hate based on ranking, you won't do as well.

But that isn't the crux of the issue. The top 10 percent of the class are always going to have a job. The difference comes below the 50 percent mark, I think.

I say trust your gut.

gators88

New

Post by gators88 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:19 pm

Kim617 wrote:
Sorry to hijack this question, but it'll be nice to finally be in a classroom where someone else enjoys the NFL besides me.
Kim, are you a Giants fan?

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:32 pm

gators88 wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
Sorry to hijack this question, but it'll be nice to finally be in a classroom where someone else enjoys the NFL besides me.
Kim, are you a Giants fan?
Die hard! I bleed blue :D

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:36 pm

Kim617 wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:
mrm2083 wrote:Are any of you guys leaving significant others behind when you go to GULC next year? How do you plan on dealing with the long distance relationship?
I am :( And I'm not really sure.
I'm not. I couldn't be more excited to leave the all girls school (86% girls, 14% gay guys) I am currently at. Georgetown here I come! :D

HEY! I'm a girl, and I happen to LOVE the NFL! we'll have to get together to watch the games on Sunday!

Edit: I'm a Bucs fan, but I have a ton of family in NY, so when it doesn't hurt the Bucs, we root for the Giants!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gators88

New

Post by gators88 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:41 pm

Kim617 wrote: Die hard! I bleed blue :D
Excellent news! I've had season tix in my family for generations. I try to make it up to at least a few games a year, which will be easier from DC than Florida. It will also be nice to be in an NFC East city where I can drunkenly antagonize deadSkins fans.

In my housing app for Gewirz under other relevant information, I put that I am a die-hard football fan and that this obsession typically occupies my entire weekend during the Fall.

beef wellington

Silver

Post by beef wellington » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:46 pm

Go Hawks!

--ImageRemoved--

(These are dark days for us Seattle fans, at least we have the green uniforms.)

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:46 pm

I like football fine, but this girl bleeds Pinstripes. I'm warning you all, I'm a huge Yankees fan.

I'm up for football Sundays during the offseason, though. I'll root for whoever brings the best snacks.

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:55 pm

gators88 wrote:
Kim617 wrote: Die hard! I bleed blue :D
Excellent news! I've had season tix in my family for generations. I try to make it up to at least a few games a year, which will be easier from DC than Florida. It will also be nice to be in an NFC East city where I can drunkenly antagonize deadSkins fans.

In my housing app for Gewirz under other relevant information, I put that I am a die-hard football fan and that this obsession typically occupies my entire weekend during the Fall.
I'm so jealous of your season tix! Ha, Sundays are a strict schedule for me of mass in the mornings and football ALL DAY LONG. Literally, cannot leave the TV. Football is one of those sports where I can watch any game, regardless of who is playing. However, when the Giants are on, I'm a different person. My friends choose not to be around me when big blue is playing. I was a little worried about how I am going to watch the games, but I'm assuming there'll be some sports bar with a good atmosphere where I can watch every week.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:57 pm

volsi wrote:I like football fine, but this girl bleeds Pinstripes. I'm warning you all, I'm a huge Yankees fan.
Also a die hard Yankees fan. I guess I'm going to have to get MLB.tv to watch all the games.

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:57 pm

starrydecisus wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:
mrm2083 wrote:Are any of you guys leaving significant others behind when you go to GULC next year? How do you plan on dealing with the long distance relationship?
I am :( And I'm not really sure.
I'm not. I couldn't be more excited to leave the all girls school (86% girls, 14% gay guys) I am currently at. Georgetown here I come! :D

HEY! I'm a girl, and I happen to LOVE the NFL! we'll have to get together to watch the games on Sunday!

Edit: I'm a Bucs fan, but I have a ton of family in NY, so when it doesn't hurt the Bucs, we root for the Giants!
definitely! i don't care how much work i have to do, sundays are for football.

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:59 pm

volsi wrote:I like football fine, but this girl bleeds Pinstripes. I'm warning you all, I'm a huge Yankees fan.

I'm up for football Sundays during the offseason, though. I'll root for whoever brings the best snacks.

Love the Yankees too! <3

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:11 pm

Kim617 wrote:
Also a die hard Yankees fan. I guess I'm going to have to get MLB.tv to watch all the games.

Do you have an iPhone or a Blackberry? The bonus about having MLB.tv and a smartphone while being a Yankees fan in DC is we won't have to suffer the local blackouts on the MLB app. [cradles her iPhone]. It's been really great to listen to spring training games on my lunch hour.

Kim, Starry, looks like we'll have a good girls sports contingent just between the three of us. [Prepares to paint pinstripes on her face in anticipation]

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:16 pm

volsi wrote:
Kim617 wrote:

Do you have an iPhone or a Blackberry? The bonus about having MLB.tv and a smartphone while being a Yankees fan in DC is we won't have to suffer the local blackouts on the MLB app. [cradles her iPhone]. It's been really great to listen to spring training games on my lunch hour.

Kim, Starry, looks like we'll have a good girls sports contingent just between the three of us. [Prepares to paint pinstripes on her face in anticipation]
ah yes, i have a blackberry! totally didn't even know that!

and finally, other girls who understand my sports obsession!

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:12 pm

volsi wrote:
Kim617 wrote:

I'm very excited! And when sports aren't on, we can watch The Good Wife :)

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:20 pm

starrydecisus wrote:
volsi wrote:
Kim617 wrote:

ha, sounds like a plan. who cares about studying? we have television to watch! :wink:

i'm getting more and more excited for gulc every day!

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:21 pm

Kim617 wrote:
ha, sounds like a plan. who cares about studying? we have television to watch! :wink:

i'm getting more and more excited for gulc every day![/quote]

Hahaha, this is true. But study hard/play hard is a good motto :) and I'm excited too!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PheelTheMusic

New

Post by PheelTheMusic » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:09 am

Just sent in my response form today, so I'm now officially a member of the class of 2013!

Girls who are into football at GULC? Very cool. I'm a die hard J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS fan, though I have nothing against Big Blue--except for your goofy QB :wink: .

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:17 am

PheelTheMusic wrote:Just sent in my response form today, so I'm now officially a member of the class of 2013!

Girls who are into football at GULC? Very cool. I'm a die hard J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS fan, though I have nothing against Big Blue--except for your goofy QB :wink: .
ahhhhhhh I had Bucs Season Tickets this year, and we had to hear that chant over and over again at that game! It's a dark time for my Bucs haha.

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:20 am

PheelTheMusic wrote:Just sent in my response form today, so I'm now officially a member of the class of 2013!

don't talk about eli like that! don't like the jets but would love to have revis...

let's just hope for an injury-free season, GOD WILLING.

gators88

New

Post by gators88 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:51 am

Kim617 wrote:
let's just hope for an injury-free season, GOD WILLING.

A healthy Kenny Phillips + Antrelle Rolle. Giant's secondary will be sickk!

Sorry for hijacking the thread to talk about how good the g-men will be this year

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”