GULC c/o 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Kim617

Silver

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Post by Kim617 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:49 pm

starrydecisus wrote:
gobears09 wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
Unitas wrote:
Sometime early May.

I only put one bedroom places down though. Anyone else do that? I have never had a roommate besides my wife and son, so don't want to start that now. If I can't get into a solo room I would rather find a different apartment, and then I'll probably end up getting a roommate, but we'd need our own bathrooms.
I chose the large two bedroom as my number one. I'm only 21, I've never lived alone, so that seems like the best option for me. My room at home now is huge, and I have a huge closet, so this is going to be quite the adjustment. How do you go from a walk-in closet to a dorm closet? Where do you put all your shoes and clothes? I'm very worried. I know this is so trivial, but I'm a girl, and I have a lot of things! The large single looks like it has an amazing closet, that almost made me change my mind. I'm eh on roommates, but since we have our own bedrooms, I think it'll be a good idea for me.

I really like having roommates. I put the large two bedroom as my first choice too, and requested to live to someone close in age (Im 22), maybe well be roommates haha. I also looked at the closet measurements and freaked. What you need to do (I had to in my sorority) is buy these plastic shelf bins from target to use as makeshift dressers and buy shoe racks for the closet doors. And I absolutely do not think worrying about a teeny tiny closet is trivial, especially since you have to have winter clothes on the east coast!! I dont own any of those now, but Im assuming they take up space.

Did anyone else notice that there is only ONE large single unit? Whoever gets it will be very lucky.

Gobears, I like the way you think. We'll have to do a massive Target trip when we all move in so we can figure out where to put everything! haha. So..I went a little crazy with the winter sales and I now own like 5 coats. Have no idea where I'm going to put them!!!
AH, I know. I just bought a bunch of new coats. Plus, I have A LOT of shoes. Like probably about 30 pairs, not including flip flops. Plus, I have a lot of handbags, they're my obsession. I also have two huge bookshelves FULL of books, so I'll have to pick and choose which ones to bring. This is going to be so hard. Also, I have a lot of DVDs.

I didn't even think to request someone closer to my age! Now I wish I had. We have to take a serious trip to Target and prepare for this minuscule amount of closet space.

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:52 pm

Wow, this conversation is making my impending move seem more real. To me at this point the moving away and all it entails hasn't really sunken in. It won't fully until this semester is over at least.

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:13 pm

I've been thinking about all the things I'm going to miss in Florida.

anyone else from the south going to miss Publix?....I'm addicted to their chocolate chip cookies.

Edit: I will NOT miss the ridiculous heat.

Interminable_Waiting

Bronze

Post by Interminable_Waiting » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:50 pm

BTW. Exciting draft. Patriots have made five trades and four picks so far. Crazy.

I officially officially committed today. Time to start hunting for an apartment. I think the luxury ones are too expensive. Someone suggested a row house to me yesterday, so I am going to look at one of those...

js87

Bronze

Post by js87 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:52 pm

starrydecisus wrote:I've been thinking about all the things I'm going to miss in Florida.

anyone else from the south going to miss Publix?....I'm addicted to their chocolate chip cookies.

As another soon to be ex-Floridian I will definitely miss Publix Subs. They're so good. I will NOT miss the heat, haha. I'm also glad to be leaving endless suburbia for a real city.

I think it's almost time to make Georgetown my facebook network. That's what makes it official, of course. :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:59 pm

js87 wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:I've been thinking about all the things I'm going to miss in Florida.

As another soon to be ex-Floridian I will definitely miss Publix Subs. They're so good. I also will NOT miss the heat haha.

I think it's almost time to make Georgetown my facebook network. That's what makes it official, of course. :lol:
I will definitely miss a lot about NY, but pizza and bagels for sure. Food shouldn't be too much of a problem, since I'm gathering all of my family recipes and bringing them with me. I even videotaped my nonna making Sunday gravy so that I remember exactly how she makes it. I make my own meatballs, though, I prefer them a certain way.

Also, I am going to miss the YES network. I am going to hate to pay for MLB.tv. Speaking of baseball, I want to try to get to a game at Camden Yards when the Yankees play there, I think in September. I hear it's a beautiful ballpark.

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:00 pm

Anyone have a Georgetown e-mail address yet??

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:04 pm

Unitas wrote:Anyone have a Georgetown e-mail address yet??
No! When are we supposed to get one? Is it going to be our netID @law.georgetown.edu?

tigrelis

New

Post by tigrelis » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:05 pm

Last edited by tigrelis on Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:11 pm

BTW re: the draft, the Giants have drafted a DE, DT, and a safety. Are they deliberately ignoring the fact that they don't have one decent starting LB? I like Pierre-Paul, I think he's going to be insane, but WE NEED A LINEBACKER. They're going to start having to pull bums off the street like they did in 2005 against the Panthers. It's like they're drafting any defensive position BUT a LB. Does Reese have something up his sleeve? Very doubtful. Teams will continue doing what they always do, and that's pretty much killing the defense over the middle. They couldn't stop a TE if their lives depended on it.

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:21 pm

js87 wrote:

As another soon to be ex-Floridian I will definitely miss Publix Subs. They're so good. I will NOT miss the heat, haha. I'm also glad to be leaving endless suburbia for a real city.

I DIDN'T EVEN THINK ABOUT THE SUBS

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Kim617 wrote:
js87 wrote:

As another soon to be ex-Floridian I will definitely miss Publix Subs. They're so good. I also will NOT miss the heat haha.

I will definitely miss a lot about NY, but pizza and bagels for sure. Food shouldn't be too much of a problem, since I'm gathering all of my family recipes and bringing them with me. I even videotaped my nonna making Sunday gravy so that I remember exactly how she makes it. I make my own meatballs, though, I prefer them a certain way.

Also, I am going to miss the YES network. I am going to hate to pay for MLB.tv. Speaking of baseball, I want to try to get to a game at Camden Yards when the Yankees play there, I think in September. I hear it's a beautiful ballpark.
Ooh, I am so in for Camden Yards in september! I am going to miss YES pretty bad. My TV stays on YES for days on end. It gets switched for the Good Wife, of course. :)

I am going to miss the Russian Delis in brooklyn. I go down there, chat with the russian ladies who've known me since I was a little girl, pick up some boiled fermented milk and pickled cabbage and know that absolutely no one will try to mug me for my groceries.

Anyone who's never had traditional russian cooking, I will be happy to share the ..ahem... unique flavors at any time.

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:31 pm

volsi wrote: Anyone who's never had traditional russian cooking, I will be happy to share the ..ahem... unique flavors at any time.
I'll try any food once! And you can come over for some Sicilian food anytime :)

And we should definitely try to get tickets for a game!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:42 pm

Kim617 wrote:
volsi wrote: Anyone who's never had traditional russian cooking, I will be happy to share the ..ahem... unique flavors at any time.

It's a deal. Russian food is actually really tasty, it just isn't very pretty. And we are on for Camden Yards.
Are they making Brett Gardner jerseys yet? I want one, I love his grit.

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:49 pm

volsi wrote:
Kim617 wrote:

It's a deal. Russian food is actually really tasty, it just isn't very pretty. And we are on for Camden Yards.
Are they making Brett Gardner jerseys yet? I want one, I love his grit.
Ha, probably not. You might need to order one specially. That's what I had to do to get my authentic Mike Mussina one circa 2001. I need to invest in a new one once I can afford it.

PS Attn: New York Giants. If you trade Osi Umenyiora, I will officially have to invest in another jersey. Do you know how hard it is to find the player you want in kids sizes? Please keep Osi <3

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:11 pm

What are you guys doing for laptops, btw? I'm getting a Mac, partially because I love them and partially because I can still get a discount while I'm there. I'm going to run Bootcamp for Windows programs.

I'm conflicted as to size. Should I get a 13" and pump up the specs or should I get a 15", which is heavier but more powerful? Decisions, decisions.

beef wellington

Silver

Post by beef wellington » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:34 pm

volsi wrote:What are you guys doing for laptops, btw? I'm getting a Mac, partially because I love them and partially because I can still get a discount while I'm there. I'm going to run Bootcamp for Windows programs.

I'm conflicted as to size. Should I get a 13" and pump up the specs or should I get a 15", which is heavier but more powerful? Decisions, decisions.
I have a Dell but it's gigantic. 17" screen. Really heavy. I may resort to a rolly bag. It's nice for watching movies but I kinda wish I'd gone with a 15"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:40 pm

beef wellington wrote:
volsi wrote:What are you guys doing for laptops, btw? I'm getting a Mac, partially because I love them and partially because I can still get a discount while I'm there. I'm going to run Bootcamp for Windows programs.

I have a Dell but it's gigantic. 17" screen. Really heavy. I may resort to a rolly bag. It's nice for watching movies but I kinda wish I'd gone with a 15"
I'm getting a new one. I'm definitely going PC, I just don't care for Macs. I'm thinking the HP Touchsmart 2m2t. It's 12.1", which is kind of small, but it's less than 5 lbs, and it's touchscreen. I care less about the touchscreen and more about the fact that you can hand write notes on it and then convert them into type. I just remember stuff better when I physically write it, as opposed to type it. I'm debating whether that feature is worth it or not. It's not that it's all that expensive (probably about $900) but I'm not sure if 12 inches is too small.

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:58 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:13 am

MSPeast wrote: I'm pretty sure I'm getting a powered-up 13" MacBook Pro. I'm an internet multitasker who has often ticked off his laptop simply by having too many browser tabs open at once, so I'm definitely getting the extra RAM. I don't care about hard drive space that much. I still like to have portability though, so a small, powerful one will be nice for me. I haven't had a Mac before, but I've used them and been pleased with them. I'm going to get one as soon as I can afford it, but my paychecks keep disappearing, and I don't even pay rent or bills right now. :? Anyway, right now I have an okay Dell Inspiron from Christmas 2007 -- it's plenty portable, but it runs Vista and I think I was pretty conservative on the options since it was a sudden replacement of a 2005 Dell Inspiron that decided to completely break one week before finals, and I didn't have money saved. I'm definitely going to pay up for my next laptop!
Just so you know, any TLS Mac users get tech support built in - i've been a Genius at the Apple store for 4 years. :) You should wait for the summer school promo - you get a free ipod touch you can either keep or sell. If you sell it, it's a nice 200 dollar discount off your computer.

You're gonna get 8 gigs of RAM? Now, that's commitment.
Kim617 wrote:I'm thinking the HP Touchsmart 2m2t. It's 12.1", which is kind of small, but it's less than 5 lbs, and it's touchscreen. I care less about the touchscreen and more about the fact that you can hand write notes on it and then convert them into type. I just remember stuff better when I physically write it, as opposed to type it. I'm debating whether that feature is worth it or not. It's not that it's all that expensive (probably about $900) but I'm not sure if 12 inches is too small.
If you were 5'11", I'd say it was too small. I think you'll be fine. I have a netbook now that everyone else finds unusable, but it's pretty great for my small hands. Is that the touchscreen computer they had on Project Runway this season? Seems like a pretty cool computer to have.

I was thinking of a 15" just to have my outlines and my exam practices on the screen at the same time. On the other hand, I do have a 24 inch desktop which has all the screen real estate I need.

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:18 am

Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:24 am

MSPeast,

Thanks for telling us about the Target! I'm so excited. I love Target. I was worried I'd only be able to get to one if I rented a zip car or something.

To enter the computer discussion, I have a Dell Inspiron that's a year old.

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:26 am

MSPeast wrote:
volsi wrote: Just so you know, any TLS Mac users get tech support built in - i've been a Genius at the Apple store for 4 years. :) You should wait for the summer school promo - you get a free ipod touch you can either keep or sell. If you sell it, it's a nice 200 dollar discount off your computer.
Do explain this summer school promo, s'il vous plaît. A free iPod Touch sounds very cool. I'm fine on iPod space with my current-model Nano but have been wanting app access (and don't have AT&T), so getting an iPod touch for free sounds very, very interesting.

Also, does an iPod Touch require some sort of data plan subscription for app access? I forget what the deal is with those.
The past few years, Apple has done this promo for students in the summer. You get your usual student discount of 100 dollars off or so, and if you get an ipod touch (or another ipod), you get a rebate on the cost. Last year it was 200 dollars, I don't know what it will be this year. Basically you can get whatever iPod you want, but the rebate will be a max of a certain amount. You can fill out the rebate stuff online so it's actually decently fast to do.
and no, the Touch doesn't require any sort of subscription or anything. It's basically an iPhone without the phone.

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:28 am

MSPeast wrote:
volsi wrote: Just so you know, any TLS Mac users get tech support built in - i've been a Genius at the Apple store for 4 years. :) You should wait for the summer school promo - you get a free ipod touch you can either keep or sell. If you sell it, it's a nice 200 dollar discount off your computer.
Do explain this summer school promo, s'il vous plaît. A free iPod Touch sounds very cool. I'm fine on iPod space with my current-model Nano but have been wanting app access (and don't have AT&T), so getting an iPod touch for free sounds very, very interesting.

Also, does an iPod Touch require some sort of data plan subscription for app access? I forget what the deal is with those.
on my iPod Touch, I can connect to wifi, but if I'm not in a wifi zone, I don't get the internet. You can get Black's Law Dictionary App though!!!! I added all the other law apps already including the Federal Rules of Evidence on there haha. But that's just because I'm a law geek :)

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:39 am

Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”