Harvard Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
GeePee

Silver

Re: Harvard Class of 2013

Post by GeePee » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:56 pm

Here's the general thread by the way, Amadeus:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 2596288965

I'm planning on moving to Cambridge sometime around Aug. 15. However, my housing saga has been long, ridiculously annoying and yet remains unfinished.

Also... how about that NYC meetup sometime this month?

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:23 pm

well I'm nowhere near NYC, but I bet there a bunch of TLSers who are. I also plan on moving around August 15th, but I've got a lot of crap to figure out before then with all the stuff required by Harvard, plus finding a house, immigrating, helping my wife find a job, figuring out what to do with my car, etc. I feel like I need a personal assistant....

sayan

Bronze

Post by sayan » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:12 am

adameus wrote:also, lets get this thread going! when are you guys planning on moving to cambridge, where will you be living?
I'll be arriving in Cambridge around Aug 25. I'll be living at Terry Terrace. Reallllly excited.

I wonder how many Vancouverites will be attending HLS this year.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:19 pm

sayan wrote:
adameus wrote:also, lets get this thread going! when are you guys planning on moving to cambridge, where will you be living?
I'll be arriving in Cambridge around Aug 25. I'll be living at Terry Terrace. Reallllly excited.

are you from Vancouver as well?

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:23 pm

The immunization thing is a pain in the ass. Anyone else agree?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

s419

New

Post by s419 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:40 pm

Sadly the immunization pales in the face of getting my graduate school to correctly fill out the college certification form. Anyone else having trouble with this? I have no disciplinary issues but apparently no one at my graduate school within a preposterously large university is endowed with the power to put this in writing.

sayan

Bronze

Post by sayan » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:12 pm

adameus wrote:
sayan wrote:

Yep. :D

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:49 pm

sayan wrote:
adameus wrote:
sayan wrote:

Yep. :D

sweet! how are you planning on moving your stuff to Boston? I'm not trying to piggy back on your load, just wondering what your plan is? I was planning on trying to rent a small trailer and towing it behind my car so I could at least bring a decent amount of my stuff.

sayan

Bronze

Post by sayan » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:04 pm

adameus wrote:

sweet! how are you planning on moving your stuff to Boston? I'm not trying to piggy back on your load, just wondering what your plan is? I was planning on trying to rent a small trailer and towing it behind my car so I could at least bring a decent amount of my stuff.
I don't have much to move so I haven't really tackled with the heavy-duty moving issue. Depending on the dimensions of what you want shipped, Amtrak may be the cheapest option. From what I've read, they charge $50 for up to 100lbs and 50 cents per pound thereafter. There's an Amtrak station in Vancouver and one in Boston (2.2miles away from Cambridge, IIRC), but I haven't really looked into it beyond that. Here's the link: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentSe ... 1267371736

As for bringing your car, just make sure you understand the parking fees and permits necessary in Cambridge. They add a lot to the cost of ownership. I'm not even sure you can park nearby the HLS campus without paying exorbitant rates. Personally I'd sell the car and save the money that would have gone to pay for a parking permit and parking rates and instead get an apartment near the campus. Unlike Vancouver, Cambridge is really centralized (at least that's what I felt when I went there for ASW) so a car seems unnecessary as long as your apartment is situated in a good location. Then again, having no car may make your moving situation more expensive so it's a tougher call.

BTW, here's a very helpful guide to Cambridge and Boston: --LinkRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:58 pm

the only thing is, I am married and my wife will likely be looking for work and probably need a car to get around. Thanks for the heads up on Amtrak, the costs of having a car in cambridge and the website guide.

sayan

Bronze

Post by sayan » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:01 pm

Ah, ya. That's an important consideration.

Good luck with the move. Just make sure to start apartment hunting now or it will get a lot harder in July.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:06 pm

I found my immunization records, back in the province I grew up in! Took me a while. It looks like I'll have to get a tetanus shot as I haven't had one in the last 10 years. I'm starting to feel like things are coming together. How is everyone else coming along with the logistics of moving to Cambridge?

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:13 pm

Good, good, I've been packing all of my stuff up to send home for the summer while I do some traveling and relaxing. Tomorrow is my last day of work (woohoo, because I've had nothing to do for the past week)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

go4hls

New

Post by go4hls » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:56 pm

This thread has been too quiet.

This question has come up in other threads but not specifically in a T14 context. What are people doing to prepare in this 0L summer? Reading E & E's? Maybe looking over a few cases?

Personally, I haven't done anything yet, and wasn't sure what would be helpful. Anyone have any ideas?

justbluemyself

New

Post by justbluemyself » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:18 pm

go4hls wrote:This thread has been too quiet.

This question has come up in other threads but not specifically in a T14 context. What are people doing to prepare in this 0L summer? Reading E & E's? Maybe looking over a few cases?

Personally, I haven't done anything yet, and wasn't sure what would be helpful. Anyone have any ideas?
My main goal this summer is to get back into the habit of reading, particularly non-fiction. I have several friends at T14 schools, and they've all told me the most important thing to do your 0l summer is to develop a healthy lifestyle that you can use to manage stress and anxiety during the school year.
Last edited by justbluemyself on Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:13 pm

go4hls wrote:This thread has been too quiet.

I have yet to see a 1L or 2L recommend reading anything to prepare for 1L year. There have been a number of 1Ls who recommended not to read anything. They all say just to enjoy your summer and have a good time because you will be working your ass off come september.

smittytron3k

Bronze

Post by smittytron3k » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:28 pm

just got my place locked up (studio about a mile from campus on hancock street.) looking forward to seeing everyone at orientation!

real question: what bank do people recommend while living in cambridge? i am a wells fargo customer but expect i will need to switch when i move out to the east coast.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nameless

New

Post by nameless » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:39 pm

If you're looking for the most available ATMs, Bank of America is everywhere.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:09 pm

ok, so I'm close to locking up a place to live.
It's a one bedroom apartment right on Harvard Campus at 13 Ware Street.
It is fully furnished and rent is $1500 per month. I saw some pictures of the place and it looks nice.

I was planning on flying out to check out places, but this seems good and would save me the money of a flight for my wife and I to Boston.

Do you guys think this seems like a good deal/good location?

jmkelly

New

Post by jmkelly » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:47 pm

A friend of mine lived there last year. The apartments, or at least the 2 bedroom ones, are great, really spacious, well maintained etc. It's not a long walk to the law school. I would take it if I were you.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:54 pm

jmkelly wrote:A friend of mine lived there last year. The apartments, or at least the 2 bedroom ones, are great, really spacious, well maintained etc. It's not a long walk to the law school. I would take it if I were you.
Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

smashedpumpkins

New

Post by smashedpumpkins » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:07 pm

Is anyone else moving to Cambridge early? I was thinking of moving the first week of August, but then I'll have 3 weeks to spend twiddling my thumbs before orientation starts.

Although, twiddling my thumbs in Cambridge is probably more fun than twiddling my thumbs at the 'rents.

sayan

Bronze

Post by sayan » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:19 am

I'll be heading in on the last week of August (22nd-23rd). We should have a TLS HLS meet-up before school starts :D Last one was fun.

ylc

New

Post by ylc » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:32 pm

The 1L courses are showing on the course webpage, if anyone wants to piece together the section schedules. (Not that we know what sections we're in.)

timbuk

New

Post by timbuk » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:53 pm

I've decided it's time to stop being a lurker here.

I'll be moving up there early August and spending the next month enjoying unemployment. Already found an apartment that's very close to campus (signed the lease yesterday!). An August meet-up in Cambridge would be fun, though.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”