Harvard Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
DoubleChecks

Gold

Re: Harvard Class of 2013

Post by DoubleChecks » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:33 pm

gtang_hls13 wrote:
vespertiliovir wrote:
gtang_hls13 wrote:
gilagarta wrote:Have you all decided what to wear to orientation yet? It seems like everything we're doing is really casual (tours, field activities, etc.) except for the group picture. Do you all think jeans are too casual? How about black or khaki capris for girls?
hmm an entire day walking around in jeans makes for very unpleasantly sticky denim given the summer weather in Cambridge; I was hoping shorts would be okay :-/
You clearly are not from Texas -- mid-80s in August seems like nothing short of divine intervention :D
well you're right i'm not from tx but i did spend a summer working in Austin and the humidity in Cambridge definitely makes me sweat a lot more - kinda like that one day i checked out San Antonio that same summer
haha i live(d) in houston and austin so im actually looking forward to Cambridge weather...for the next month or two...

then im going to cry

vespertiliovir

Bronze

Post by vespertiliovir » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:01 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:haha i live(d) in houston and austin so im actually looking forward to Cambridge weather...for the next month or two...

then im going to cry
San Antonio then Austin, so same here haha

sfdreaming09

Bronze

Post by sfdreaming09 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:42 pm

So someone asked the question before but there wasnt really an answer so im gonna ask again: does anybody know if the recommended books at the Coop are necessary? For my section, for example, the Coop recommended the Examples and Explanations for a couple of the courses (the Civ Pro one by Glannon and one other for criminal, if i remember correctly). Does anybody know how useful these will be? If they would help at all, i would be more than happy to buy them, but im on a budget (like most of us), so if theyre not going to be of much use, i'd rather not.

smov_operator

Bronze

Post by smov_operator » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:54 pm

sfdreaming09 wrote:So someone asked the question before but there wasnt really an answer so im gonna ask again: does anybody know if the recommended books at the Coop are necessary? For my section, for example, the Coop recommended the Examples and Explanations for a couple of the courses (the Civ Pro one by Glannon and one other for criminal, if i remember correctly). Does anybody know how useful these will be? If they would help at all, i would be more than happy to buy them, but im on a budget (like most of us), so if theyre not going to be of much use, i'd rather not.
You should probably wait until you see what the professor suggests. I was going to grab some of the recommended books from the Coop. But, when I saw the syllabi for some of my classes, the books that the professor suggested (or at least listed on his course overview) were completely different from the Coop's "recommended" books.

naett

New

Post by naett » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:54 pm

Hi all! I'm new to the discussion - just got into MA from California, and did a bit of catch-up reading the posts from the last couple days. Also ordered books today from amazon. Did anyone else sign up for their student special? I figured I'd take free 2-day shipping and figure out how to deal with a couple of them arriving late...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sfdreaming09

Bronze

Post by sfdreaming09 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:32 pm

smov_operator wrote:
sfdreaming09 wrote:So someone asked the question before but there wasnt really an answer so im gonna ask again: does anybody know if the recommended books at the Coop are necessary? For my section, for example, the Coop recommended the Examples and Explanations for a couple of the courses (the Civ Pro one by Glannon and one other for criminal, if i remember correctly). Does anybody know how useful these will be? If they would help at all, i would be more than happy to buy them, but im on a budget (like most of us), so if theyre not going to be of much use, i'd rather not.
You should probably wait until you see what the professor suggests. I was going to grab some of the recommended books from the Coop. But, when I saw the syllabi for some of my classes, the books that the professor suggested (or at least listed on his course overview) were completely different from the Coop's "recommended" books.
Thanks a lot for the help. Definitely appreciated!

mightyaphrodite

New

Post by mightyaphrodite » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:01 pm

smov_operator wrote:
Generally true, but I think the Civ Pro E&E is pretty universal. From my own personal experience, I'd say that supplements were helpful in the following courses:

Civ Pro
Leg Reg (visiting prof): I used the Admin E&E and it was wayyyy more clear than my prof
Property (Benkler): Gilberts is a godsend. There was a run on these closer to finals at the Coop, so those who took advantage sooner lucked out.
Torts (Shugerman): I used the E&E and it was helpful, but less so than the Civ Pro E&E or Admin E&E

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:14 am

Alrighty then who is up for a meetup Monday night?

timbuk

New

Post by timbuk » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:45 am

Let's do it

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:13 pm

To give a little more notice, why don't we say tomorrow(tuesday) at 8:00 pm at a campus pub (anyone know of any good ones?). Post on here or shoot me a PM if you are in.

The Dan

Bronze

Post by The Dan » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:49 pm

I'm in.

justbluemyself

New

Post by justbluemyself » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:54 pm

I'm probably in, almost certainly in if SO's are welcome. :)

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:09 pm

I'll be back in town tomorrow... sounds like a plan!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

creatinganalt

Bronze

Post by creatinganalt » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:35 pm

Arrive into Boston too late to attend but looking forward to seeing everyone on Friday!

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:02 pm

Alright looks like we have enough people to make something happen. I will be bringing my wife so I say bring your so or your mom if she's hot. Any ideas for A place?

Pankun

New

Post by Pankun » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:04 pm

Hey Guys,

So whats the purpose of "SideBar" (http://sidebar.law.harvard.edu)? Seems like no one is using it ...

sfdreaming09

Bronze

Post by sfdreaming09 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:25 pm

Do you guys think that the Administrative Law Examples and Explanations would work for the Legislation and Regulation course? In other words (if anybody knows the answer to this question), are they essentially the same thing? I dont want to buy the E&E if its not going to help out

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

exdubliner

New

Post by exdubliner » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:22 am

adameus wrote:Alright looks like we have enough people to make something happen. I will be bringing my wife so I say bring your so or your mom if she's hot. Any ideas for A place?
plough and the stars

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:26 am

oh i might be able to make the meetup tomorrow night -- esp. since it seems a lot are section 1ers haha

any location finally pegged down?

also, anyone been in boston awhile and know of some interesting walkable/subway-able sites i could go see w/ my SO on wednesday?

thanks

exdubliner

New

Post by exdubliner » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:31 am

DoubleChecks wrote:oh i might be able to make the meetup tomorrow night -- esp. since it seems a lot are section 1ers haha

any location finally pegged down?

also, anyone been in boston awhile and know of some interesting walkable/subway-able sites i could go see w/ my SO on wednesday?

thanks
my gf and I did the freedom trail the other day. I'd really recommend it. and stopping at the quincy market for lunch was really fun, lots of choices there and a cool atmosphere.

of course if this rain keeps up maybe not...

justbluemyself

New

Post by justbluemyself » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:54 am

I went to Cambridge Common last night with my dad last night and it was more than decent: http://www.cambridgecommonrestaurant.com/main.html.

It's really close to the law campus (right across from the Law Coop) and about halfway between Porter and Harvard. It has standard pub fare, but it's good for groups and I had some stellar nachos.

Other than that, I'm prone to the Druid, but it's in Inman and thus sort of out of the way. The Queen's Head, right in Harvard Square, is decent and cheap and has karaoke, if we want to get a head start on Socratic humiliation. Christopher's in Porter is good as well.

Thoughts?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:07 am

Ok, I say lets hit the Cambridge Common. I like that its a bit out of the square but still easily walkable. And since its not in the square I think its more likely that we can get a table.

It is at:
1667 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA

My name is Adam, my cell # is 617 233 8797. I will be there at 8:00 with my wife ( I am 27 and she is 26, sometimes I think when I say that I am married it makes it seem like I am 40 :) ) I will attempt to get a table for 10 under the name Adam. If for whatever reason, the place is full we will wander somewhere else so shoot me a text or a phone call and I can let you know where we went.
Any and all are welcome.

I will see you guys tonight!

The Dan

Bronze

Post by The Dan » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:58 am

Any place with 31 beers on tap gets my blessing. I'll be there.

kmap

New

Post by kmap » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:25 pm

On a less fun note, has anybody been able to access course isites? Section 4 just got their first CivPro assignment and when I try to login it says access to that course's site has been restricted and I can't view it. Is there a trick to this that I just haven't discovered yet?

Hating HLS email / MyPlan, btw. :evil:

PoorOrpheus

Bronze

Post by PoorOrpheus » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:31 pm

kmap wrote:On a less fun note, has anybody been able to access course isites? Section 4 just got their first CivPro assignment and when I try to login it says access to that course's site has been restricted and I can't view it. Is there a trick to this that I just haven't discovered yet?

Hating HLS email / MyPlan, btw. :evil:
There was an e-mail sent out this morning saying: "HLS will be conducting emergency maintenance on the Student Information System today, August 24th, beginning immediately. Access to MyPlan will be restricted."

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”