Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
danidancer

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby danidancer » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:22 pm

vexion wrote:
legallybrunette16 wrote:just to spice things up...

At the 3rd ASW, when asked about the nightlife in Ithaca, one of the 3L's responded that there's typically a group of law students who party so much that they are virtually indistinguishable from the undergrads!

who thinks they'll be in this group? who thinks they'll be in the "I'm too mature for Collegetown" crowd?

I'm switching from a quarter system that ends in mid-June to a semester system that begins in mid-August. So personally, I can't see myself abandoning my undergrad tendencies a mere 2 months after graduation. Sorry in advance for all the debauchery! :D :D :D

For all interested parties, I already crunched the numbers on a pre-orientation trip to New York City. Instead of taking either of the bus lines, it would be a whole lot cheaper if anybody wanted to carpool... Four hour drive to the city, hotels are expensive (like $150/night,) but we could snag a room or two for a few nights, and just spend 72 hours (say the weekend of August 20th-22nd) soaking up the big city nightlife and hitting every bar we can.

You know, just sayin'...

Considering I did undergrad in NYC and have an entire social network's worth of couches to crash on, I'm already planning on tapping those connections whenever Ithaca gets to cold and boring.

CCoolidge

Postby CCoolidge » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:34 pm

vexion wrote:For all interested parties, I already crunched the numbers on a pre-orientation trip to New York City. Instead of taking either of the bus lines, it would be a whole lot cheaper if anybody wanted to carpool... Four hour drive to the city, hotels are expensive (like $150/night,) but we could snag a room or two for a few nights, and just spend 72 hours (say the weekend of August 20th-22nd) soaking up the big city nightlife and hitting every bar we can.

You know, just sayin'...

Dibs

vexion

Postby vexion » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:15 pm

danidancer wrote:Considering I did undergrad in NYC and have an entire social network's worth of couches to crash on, I'm already planning on tapping those connections whenever Ithaca gets to cold and boring.

Heh. I haven't been since I was, like, 10. My uncle lives up there, so if the "crash in a shared hotel room" plan falls through, I can just take his couch, I suppose.

Also, iirc, I'm already on the hook for hosting a party at my place as soon as everyone gets to Ithaca. Made that commitment earlier in this thread. So now it's a race against time to get a surround sound system hooked up in my apartment.

CCoolidge

Postby CCoolidge » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:28 pm

vexion wrote:race against time to get a surround sound system hooked up in my apartment.

lol

AdamatUCF

Postby AdamatUCF » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:36 pm

vexion wrote:
danidancer wrote:Considering I did undergrad in NYC and have an entire social network's worth of couches to crash on, I'm already planning on tapping those connections whenever Ithaca gets to cold and boring.

Heh. I haven't been since I was, like, 10. My uncle lives up there, so if the "crash in a shared hotel room" plan falls through, I can just take his couch, I suppose.

Also, iirc, I'm already on the hook for hosting a party at my place as soon as everyone gets to Ithaca. Made that commitment earlier in this thread. So now it's a race against time to get a surround sound system hooked up in my apartment.

Hooray

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:50 am

I just got back from a rave in the forest east of tel aviv. You're welcome to guess where I come out on the party issue.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:06 am

CCoolidge wrote:
vexion wrote:For all interested parties, I already crunched the numbers on a pre-orientation trip to New York City. Instead of taking either of the bus lines, it would be a whole lot cheaper if anybody wanted to carpool... Four hour drive to the city, hotels are expensive (like $150/night,) but we could snag a room or two for a few nights, and just spend 72 hours (say the weekend of August 20th-22nd) soaking up the big city nightlife and hitting every bar we can.

You know, just sayin'...

Dibs

I'll be in the city from the 13-21

anyone going let me know and we'll party!

vexion

Postby vexion » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:44 pm

Holy shit, I don't think I need a surround sound system anymore. I just got home for the first time in a couple weeks, and plugged in my new Logitech Z-2300 that came in. This thing is bangin'.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:37 pm

Just got back from a day trip to Ithaca. WOW - the law school is insanely gorgeous. Got me really pumped about going to school there (and made coming home to my Columbia Reserve Rejection a lot sweeter). I also, maybe, have an apartment? I saw one today that I think I'm going to take. It's very... decent. I'm not over the top excited about it, but I'm not sure I'll find anything better at this point?

vexion

Postby vexion » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:53 pm

danidancer wrote:Just got back from a day trip to Ithaca. WOW - the law school is insanely gorgeous. Got me really pumped about going to school there (and made coming home to my Columbia Reserve Rejection a lot sweeter). I also, maybe, have an apartment? I saw one today that I think I'm going to take. It's very... decent. I'm not over the top excited about it, but I'm not sure I'll find anything better at this point?

Eh, you'll spend all your time sleeping in the gorgeous library anyway. :wink:

legallybrunette16

Postby legallybrunette16 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:07 pm

vexion wrote:
danidancer wrote:Just got back from a day trip to Ithaca. WOW - the law school is insanely gorgeous. Got me really pumped about going to school there (and made coming home to my Columbia Reserve Rejection a lot sweeter). I also, maybe, have an apartment? I saw one today that I think I'm going to take. It's very... decent. I'm not over the top excited about it, but I'm not sure I'll find anything better at this point?

Eh, you'll spend all your time sleeping in the gorgeous library anyway. :wink:

TITCR!!! I asked a friend who just finished his first year at Hastings if 1L is truly the worst year of your life... and his answer was, "Yes." sooo get excited :D

afghan007

Postby afghan007 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:51 pm

vexion wrote:Holy shit, I don't think I need a surround sound system anymore. I just got home for the first time in a couple weeks, and plugged in my new Logitech Z-2300 that came in. This thing is bangin'.

What bumps at law school parties?

Lady Gaga certainly doesn't seem appropriate. Then again, I'm not sure how well an eclectic Radiohead head-nod session would go down.

vexion

Postby vexion » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:55 pm

afghan007 wrote:What bumps at law school parties?

Lady Gaga certainly doesn't seem appropriate. Then again, I'm not sure how well an eclectic Radiohead head-nod session would go down.

Why should law school party playlists be substantially different from undergrad? Just have one that starts with a bunch of Top 40, with a little old rap thrown in for nostalgia's sake, or a little singalong country depending on the venue, that by the time everyone's baked/passed out at 3 AM rolls into Sublime and Arcade Fire and shit. :wink:

CCoolidge

Postby CCoolidge » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:57 pm

First of all, it is not a party without a touch of 80's. Secondly, Lady Gaga is always appropriate.

vexion

Postby vexion » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:06 am

CCoolidge wrote:Secondly, Lady Gaga is always appropriate.

That's a funny way to spell Taylor Swift.

CCoolidge

Postby CCoolidge » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:29 am

vexion wrote:That's a funny way to spell Taylor Swift.

Well played sir

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:26 pm

vexion wrote:
afghan007 wrote:What bumps at law school parties?

Why should law school party playlists be substantially different from undergrad? Just have one that starts with a bunch of Top 40, with a little old rap thrown in for nostalgia's sake, or a little singalong country depending on the venue, that by the time everyone's baked/passed out at 3 AM rolls into Sublime and Arcade Fire and shit. :wink:

Journey and Bon Jovi are always the correct response. Nothing says party like a room of drunkards screaming "Livin' on a Prayer" at the top of their lungs. :D

vievegen08

Postby vievegen08 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:56 pm

Hey! So I was admitted late, but have finally submitted my deposits and have my FA set up. Very excited!! Anyone looking for a roommate?? I would prefer to live with other soon to be 1Ls, close to the law school. I am mature, responsible, clean in common areas (can't say the same for my bedroom haha), quiet and serious about school especially during the week, enjoy a social life on the weekends... I am two years past my undergrad, so looking for others around the same age (mid-twenties). Preferably no smoking and no pets.

Please contact me!! Either PM me or email at vievegen08@hotmail.com.

legallybrunette16

Postby legallybrunette16 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:37 pm

danidancer wrote: Journey and Bon Jovi are always the correct response. Nothing says party like a room of drunkards screaming "Livin' on a Prayer" at the top of their lungs. :D

yesssss!!! Livin' on a Prayer and a little Def Leppard "poooourrr some sugar on meeehhhh" always gets the party started!

AdamatUCF

Postby AdamatUCF » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:40 pm

danidancer wrote:Journey and Bon Jovi are always the correct response. Nothing says party like a room of drunkards screaming "Livin' on a Prayer" at the top of their lungs. :D

This is the correct answer.

Devila_C

Postby Devila_C » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:47 pm

I think I have an apartment in Ithaca!!! Wooo!! :D

See ya'll there soon.

cicely101

Postby cicely101 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:19 pm

Can't believe we're nearing 1L so quickly! Only about two and a half-months until academic lock-down folks! Let's thoroughly enjoy our summers!!!!!!

alexyoshi

Postby alexyoshi » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:06 pm

cicely101 wrote:Let's thoroughly enjoy our summers!!!!!!

titcr :D \m/

acdisagod

Postby acdisagod » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:29 am

Hey I'm confused, how can I print the form for the physichal without completing the prior steps. I went to the checklist like it said but there were no print icons. If I print it out from the application page itself, the form is too small to read...

https://newstudents.cornell.edu/grad/forms/

Crap I ahve to leave in an hour and my form is tiny

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:36 am

acdisagod wrote:Hey I'm confused, how can I print the form for the physichal without completing the prior steps. I went to the checklist like it said but there were no print icons. If I print it out from the application page itself, the form is too small to read...

https://newstudents.cornell.edu/grad/forms/

Crap I ahve to leave in an hour and my form is tiny

1. Login to New Students Checklist.
2. Complete the form with all immunization and health history questions answered.
3. Submit the form
4. Click on the " PDF of the Health History form" link.
5. Print PDF.
6. Take printout to doctor for signature and physical information.
7. Mail to Cornell.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”