Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
night06

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby night06 » Tue May 11, 2010 7:34 pm

holybartender wrote:
night06 wrote:Hmm, I'm not sure if I'd want to remain uncertain about my housing situation for that long. Oh well. I also applied for Maplewood (grad housing), so hopefully there will be something there.

Seriously, I suggest getting a place in Collegetown.

I'll look, but most places seem too expensive (and I'd imagine that pickings getting pretty slim by this point).

Ostrizr316

Postby Ostrizr316 » Tue May 11, 2010 10:46 pm

night06 wrote:
holybartender wrote:
night06 wrote:Hmm, I'm not sure if I'd want to remain uncertain about my housing situation for that long. Oh well. I also applied for Maplewood (grad housing), so hopefully there will be something there.

I'll look, but most places seem too expensive (and I'd imagine that pickings getting pretty slim by this point).

I was just up there last weekend, and a lot of houses and complexes still have rooms for rent. If you dont mind being about 1/3 mile from the law school building itself, then there are some cheap places near buffalo and quarry streets. I would look at Cornell's off campus housing office (OCHO) site, and their off campus listings (found here: https://larissa.campuslife.cornell.edu:7778/ochpr/public/pub_OCHSearchListingsPage1-2.asp ) ASAP. You've still got a good shot.

night06

Postby night06 » Wed May 12, 2010 10:34 am

Ostrizr316 wrote:
night06 wrote:
holybartender wrote:

I was just up there last weekend, and a lot of houses and complexes still have rooms for rent. If you dont mind being about 1/3 mile from the law school building itself, then there are some cheap places near buffalo and quarry streets. I would look at Cornell's off campus housing office (OCHO) site, and their off campus listings (found here: https://larissa.campuslife.cornell.edu:7778/ochpr/public/pub_OCHSearchListingsPage1-2.asp ) ASAP. You've still got a good shot.

That looks like a great resource. Thanks!

klk

Postby klk » Wed May 12, 2010 11:55 pm

Anyone know what the weather is like in Ithaca right now? Cause it snowed here yesterday, it's effing cold right now (I'm wearing my parka *inside*, fml), and I want to feel better about moving somewhere "colder"...

aquinn

Postby aquinn » Thu May 13, 2010 12:42 am

Hi guys! New to TLS! I will be joining you in Ithaca this fall!

vexion

Postby vexion » Thu May 13, 2010 12:51 am

klk wrote:Anyone know what the weather is like in Ithaca right now? Cause it snowed here yesterday, it's effing cold right now (I'm wearing my parka *inside*, fml), and I want to feel better about moving somewhere "colder"...

http://www.weather.com/weather/today/It ... ox_localwx

36° and foggy. It was 86 and sunny here today. :/

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Thu May 13, 2010 1:00 am

vexion wrote:
klk wrote:Anyone know what the weather is like in Ithaca right now? Cause it snowed here yesterday, it's effing cold right now (I'm wearing my parka *inside*, fml), and I want to feel better about moving somewhere "colder"...

http://www.weather.com/weather/today/It ... ox_localwx

36° and foggy. It was 86 and sunny here today. :/

Was really nice here [LA] as well. Ithaca will be a pretty interesting test.

klk

Postby klk » Thu May 13, 2010 1:25 am

Well I'm jealous of all the nice weather i don't have, considering even Ithaca might have been a step up... Hopefully soon. :)

vexion

Postby vexion » Thu May 13, 2010 10:22 am

The weather's the only part about this experience I'm dreading. If anyone needs me in Ithaca, you'll find me curled up next to my radiator like a hobo at a campfire.

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Thu May 13, 2010 1:02 pm

Friendly reminder: $450 second seat deposit needs to be postmarked by tomorrow.

cicely101

Postby cicely101 » Thu May 13, 2010 5:39 pm

holybartender wrote:Friendly reminder: $450 second seat deposit needs to be postmarked by tomorrow.

Good looking out! Sent mine in on Tuesday!

alexyoshi

Postby alexyoshi » Mon May 17, 2010 9:36 am

vexion wrote:The weather's the only part about this experience I'm dreading. If anyone needs me in Ithaca, you'll find me curled up next to my radiator like a hobo at a campfire.

Ahhh, no biggie. I grew up in Rochester. Buncha softies.... ;)

NeXP

Postby NeXP » Mon May 17, 2010 10:34 am

alexyoshi wrote:
vexion wrote:The weather's the only part about this experience I'm dreading. If anyone needs me in Ithaca, you'll find me curled up next to my radiator like a hobo at a campfire.

Ahhh, no biggie. I grew up in Rochester. Buncha softies.... ;)

I went to UofR. Where in Rochester are you from?

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Mon May 17, 2010 4:04 pm

I'm also late in the game looking for housing. I've been buried under a pile of work for the last four months, and just dug myself out. Anyone looking for roommates? I want a decent place with sane, responsible people.

vexion

Postby vexion » Tue May 18, 2010 1:07 am

Lincoln wrote:I'm also late in the game looking for housing. I've been buried under a pile of work for the last four months, and just dug myself out. Anyone looking for roommates? I want a decent place with sane, responsible people.

In lieu of original content, I'm just gonna copy/paste some stuff I said earlier. So don't take offense, I'm just not feeling creative.

Cornell has an Off-Campus Housing Office that provides pretty good information to help you out.

There's a list of apartments and apartment complexes in Ithaca at http://dos.cornell.edu/dos/cms/ocho/upload/OCHO-COMPLEX-LISTING-2010.pdf. It's not exhaustive, I'm not sure if inclusion on that list is self-selection by landlords or what. But it's a good jumping-off point. As well, the OCHO has a searchable online database for housing in Ithaca at https://larissa.campuslife.cornell.edu:7778/ochpr/public/pub_OCHSearchListingsPage1-1.asp.

As well, Craigslist has a pretty good selection of apartments for rent in Ithaca. Worth checking out, you never know what you'll find. When I went apartment-hunting I used both OCHO and Craigslist, and a lot of listings on OCHO's database overlapped with Craigslist.

The areas CLOSE to campus are Collegetown, Lower Collegetown, West Campus if you want to walk a bit. If you're looking for $600-$750/mo, you're pretty much limited to small studios in Collegetown. Further out from campus, prices drop dramatically.

Disclaimer: I am not a current student. I'm probably missing a good bit of useful info.

and:

boss wrote:Boss
I am indeed still searching for an anybody to help me fill the spot. It's 975 a person/month + utilities (basically everything). You'd be living right across the street from Vexion (+++perk?)! If you've been to Ithaca, you know how rundown and shady some of the apartments can be, I promise on my mother's life that this is heads and shoulders above it.

Thanks for the kind words Vexion!

Alexyoshi wrote:Alexyoshi
FWIW, i'll be living in a room in one of those big 12-room houses on buffalo street. Only grad students will be living there, including a current 1L. Each floor has its own kitchen, bathroom, and living room. 10 min walk to myron taylor - the address is 504 e. buffalo street if you want to google map it. The rooms are a decent size and the landlord (a guy who's owned the building for about five years) is charging about $530 a room, which includes everything, even wireless.

The place was in much better shape than the ~$800 two-bedrooms that I saw in the same area, which were both shitholes, really.

I think there are a couple rooms left on the top floor. if interested, PM me and i'll give his email.

turkishangora wrote:I found this really awesome 2 bdr apartment in collegetown. Cute house, recently renovated, lots of space. Own apartment (so own kitchen and bathroom separate from rest of house). 4min walk to the Law school. I just need a roommate, so PM me if interested. The landlord describes the occupents ot be "quiet and studious".

Girl. 23. nonsmoker. no pets.

EDIT: about 750/month each. all utilities included.

holybartender wrote:Holybartender
Hey everyone, I'm looking for people to live with. I'm a 22 year old male looking to share a few (2? 3? 4?) bedroom apartment/house in Collegetown. Anyone else looking for room mates?

Note: Some of these people aren't looking for roommates anymore. I know HB and I think boss are Hughesing it. But just go to Advanced Forum Search in the toolbar at the top of TLS, select the TLS Class of 2013 subforum, and type "Cornell roommate" in the keywords box. You'll come up with just about every hit in this thread. There are also one or two on the official Cornell Law Class of 2013 Facebook group, and ongoing (if stagnant) housing discussions both there and the TLS Cornell Class of 2013 Facebook group. It couldn't hurt you to drop a wall post on both of those.

EDIT: HB is not Hughesing it. That was CyLaw I was thinking of. -_- I can't be bothered to fact-check. Legal research practice be damned!
Last edited by vexion on Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Tue May 18, 2010 2:51 am

I am not Hughesing it thank god, but I have gotten a house together so I apologize but I won't be much help there.

Big Tuna

Postby Big Tuna » Tue May 18, 2010 8:46 am

To the people who have done their Dean's Certification already, how long did it take your school to get it back to you/directly to Cornell? Also to current students, is the June 1 deadline for this form a hard deadline or more of a target?

NeXP

Postby NeXP » Tue May 18, 2010 9:24 am

Big Tuna wrote:To the people who have done their Dean's Certification already, how long did it take your school to get it back to you/directly to Cornell? Also to current students, is the June 1 deadline for this form a hard deadline or more of a target?

Mine took 3 days but my school is unusually responsive. I've heard of some people who's schools took several weeks.

vexion

Postby vexion » Tue May 18, 2010 10:02 am

Big Tuna wrote:To the people who have done their Dean's Certification already, how long did it take your school to get it back to you/directly to Cornell? Also to current students, is the June 1 deadline for this form a hard deadline or more of a target?

I would imagine the turnaround time depends on your particular UG. Mine had it mailed in, like, a day. But I also sent it with my app, back in October or something.

extempore88

Postby extempore88 » Tue May 18, 2010 11:31 am

Last edited by extempore88 on Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

vexion

Postby vexion » Tue May 18, 2010 11:33 am

vexion wrote:
CCoolidge wrote:I just noticed there is a link on the Admitted Students website for a Dean's Certification. Is this form required and if so by when?

If you were admitted, I don't think they required it. :P

From the instructions to the online application (http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/admiss ... inal-2.pdf):

A Dean’s Certification Form is not required as part of your application for admission unless you answered “yes” to Question 22 on your application. If you answered “yes” to this question, please give this form to the dean of students (or a comparable official with access to the school’s official records) at the institution from which you received your baccalaureate degree. Prior to matriculation at the Cornell Law School, all admitted students must submit a completed Dean’s Certification Form. More Information about this form will be provided upon admission.

So the flowchart is:

Did you answer "Yes" to Question 22 on your application?

Y - Include a Dean's Certification in your application packet
N - You are not required to include a Dean's Certification in your application packet

Were you admitted to Cornell Law School?

Y - See next question
N - STOP. Put your pencils down and do not go on to the next section.

Did you include a Dean's Certification in your application packet?

Y - Congratulations! You are done.
N - You're gonna need one before you matriculate.

What does "matriculate" mean?

ma·tric·u·late (v. muh-trik-yuh-leyt; n. muh-trik-yuh-lit)

- verb

1. to enroll in a college or university as a candidate for degree.
2. to register (a coat of arms), used esp. in Scottish heraldry.

The instructions specifically state, "Prior to matriculating at Cornell Law School." Thus, they're probably referring to needing a Dean's Certification before you enroll in classes. But just to be sure, you might want to check your genealogy. If you are Scottish, and your coat of arms has not yet been registered, you may wish to do this during your time at Cornell Law School (extra credit in Trusts & Estates.) This matter warrants further investigation.

If you need it, the Dean's Certification is available online at --LinkRemoved--.

Cheers!

extempore88

Postby extempore88 » Tue May 18, 2010 11:43 am

Last edited by extempore88 on Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Tue May 18, 2010 12:49 pm

So I got a really nice leather folio thing from Georgetown. Do I, uh, send it back? I have no idea what I'd ever do with it.

vexion

Postby vexion » Tue May 18, 2010 12:57 pm

holybartender wrote:So I got a really nice leather folio thing from Georgetown. Do I, uh, send it back? I have no idea what I'd ever do with it.

Keep it. They won't miss it. Then write "SUCKS!" in Wite-Out underneath the school logo.

lawapps0502

Postby lawapps0502 » Tue May 18, 2010 12:58 pm

holybartender wrote:So I got a really nice leather folio thing from Georgetown. Do I, uh, send it back? I have no idea what I'd ever do with it.

you could send it back or you could just toss it out. they probably mailed it before you withdrew your deposit. either way i don't think that they care much, but, if it looks like expensive binding, it may be nice if you sent it back.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”