Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
grandslam
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:46 am

Re: Cornell 2013

Postby grandslam » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:07 pm

Hughes actually doesn't sound too bad, but I don't know if I want to live on campus anymore... Is it hard to make friends if you don't live there? (Assuming functional, social human being)

Just RSVPed for the April ASW. I wonder how "Diversity Weekend" will be different from the others.

User avatar
panda
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Cornell 2013

Postby panda » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:23 am

grandslam wrote:Hughes actually doesn't sound too bad, but I don't know if I want to live on campus anymore... Is it hard to make friends if you don't live there? (Assuming functional, social human being)

Just RSVPed for the April ASW. I wonder how "Diversity Weekend" will be different from the others.


the law school is really small. regardless of whether you live on campus, or not, you will likely make friends, again assuming you are a functional social human being. the small class size actually makes socializing really easy.. and since you spend all your time in the law school, it's easy to make friends with classmates..and keep in mind, hughes only fits about 48 people. the other 150 are not alienated, i assure you. :)

from what i heard, diversity weekend isn't all that different from the other ASWs. there are just a lot more URMs.

sjsteece
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:21 pm

Re: Cornell 2013

Postby sjsteece » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:32 am

CyLaw wrote:Anyone else thinking about Hughes Hall?

I wish I could find more pictures of the place, but I have only found one on flicker of the inside of a room.



Hughes doesn't allow spouses or pets (perhaps I was being presumptuous, but I thought you had both). Also, those of you thinking about it may change your mind once you see it...there's probably a reason you can't find too many pictures. You should be able to find similarly priced apartments just a little bit further away, and much cheaper apartments if you're willing to go further.

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Cornell 2013

Postby CyLaw » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:56 am

sjsteece wrote:
CyLaw wrote:Anyone else thinking about Hughes Hall?

I wish I could find more pictures of the place, but I have only found one on flicker of the inside of a room.



Hughes doesn't allow spouses or pets (perhaps I was being presumptuous, but I thought you had both). Also, those of you thinking about it may change your mind once you see it...there's probably a reason you can't find too many pictures. You should be able to find similarly priced apartments just a little bit further away, and much cheaper apartments if you're willing to go further.


I do have both, however my wife will be a year and a half behind me as she finishes up her PhD, so I will be on my own the first 3 semesters. The original plan was for me to take the dogs, but now it looks like they might be staying here as it is more likely for me to come back for a visit during breaks then it is for her to come out to visit me, and we don't want to board the dogs that much.

Having been in military barracks before I find it unlikely that any other place I live will be inhabitable :). When I am out there for ASD in two weeks, I plan to tour Hughes and take a look at places around town. Just a lot of the features of living in Hughes interest me, such as forced social interaction and proximity to the library and other study areas. We'll see if I have the same opinion after seeing the place though.

galahad85
Posts: 322
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:50 pm

Re: Cornell 2013

Postby galahad85 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:28 pm

So is anyone else going to be in Ithaca for ASW this week?

fsohn
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:06 pm

Re: Cornell 2013

Postby fsohn » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:17 am

CyLaw wrote:
sjsteece wrote:
CyLaw wrote:Anyone else thinking about Hughes Hall?

I wish I could find more pictures of the place, but I have only found one on flicker of the inside of a room.



Hughes doesn't allow spouses or pets (perhaps I was being presumptuous, but I thought you had both). Also, those of you thinking about it may change your mind once you see it...there's probably a reason you can't find too many pictures. You should be able to find similarly priced apartments just a little bit further away, and much cheaper apartments if you're willing to go further.


I do have both, however my wife will be a year and a half behind me as she finishes up her PhD, so I will be on my own the first 3 semesters. The original plan was for me to take the dogs, but now it looks like they might be staying here as it is more likely for me to come back for a visit during breaks then it is for her to come out to visit me, and we don't want to board the dogs that much.

Having been in military barracks before I find it unlikely that any other place I live will be inhabitable :). When I am out there for ASD in two weeks, I plan to tour Hughes and take a look at places around town. Just a lot of the features of living in Hughes interest me, such as forced social interaction and proximity to the library and other study areas. We'll see if I have the same opinion after seeing the place though.


Like any dorm, walls are thin in Hughes. I will leave it to your imagination what things you might hear through them, but suffice it to say, people are people.

That said, Hughes isn't terrible. I didn't live there, but I know people who did, and they survived with shorts and flipflops all winter. Not bad.

User avatar
como
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Cornell 2013

Postby como » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:18 pm

galahad85 wrote:So is anyone else going to be in Ithaca for ASW this week?


I'll be there.

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: Cornell 2013

Postby calicocat » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:54 pm

Hey all, hopping on board. Pretty sure this is where I'm going barring a miraculous Michigan acceptance.

Como, how are things?

:oops: and Panda <3

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Cornell 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:17 pm

como wrote:
galahad85 wrote:So is anyone else going to be in Ithaca for ASW this week?


I'll be there.


Me too. Heading up tomorrow. Are there places to eat near campus? For some reason I am afraid of starving at this strange, snow-filled place.

sjsteece
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:21 pm

Re: Cornell 2013

Postby sjsteece » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:17 am

You won't starve :) There are tons of great places to eat really close to the law school. I did wear myself out a bit when I visited because I chose to walk to the "best Thai restaurant in New York" - but it was still awesome and nothing but sheer determination kept me from stopping at the many places I passed along the way. I heard the John Thomas steak house is really good too but didn't get a chance to go while I was there.

If you visit during diversity weekend they feed you a lot at the law school too. The different groups hosted different get togethers the whole time I was there, and they always had food. Cornell also pays for a nice meal for you and the other students while you're there (pick Stellas!). Anyways, I think its safe to say if someone who has only spent a total of 3 days in Ithaca is excited about the food, there can only be more to discover. Now I need to go find something to eat.

User avatar
como
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Cornell 2013

Postby como » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:16 am

calicocat wrote:Hey all, hopping on board. Pretty sure this is where I'm going barring a miraculous Michigan acceptance.

Como, how are things?

:oops: and Panda <3


Things are alright. How are you doing?

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: Cornell 2013

Postby calicocat » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:20 pm

como wrote:Things are alright. How are you doing?

Waiting for my cycle to be over. Ugh, it's hell.

User avatar
panda
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Cornell 2013

Postby panda » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:15 pm

calicocat wrote:Hey all, hopping on board. Pretty sure this is where I'm going barring a miraculous Michigan acceptance.

Como, how are things?

:oops: and Panda <3


welcome my sweet. which asw are you coming to?

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: Cornell 2013

Postby calicocat » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:37 pm

panda wrote:
calicocat wrote:Hey all, hopping on board. Pretty sure this is where I'm going barring a miraculous Michigan acceptance.

Como, how are things?

:oops: and Panda <3


welcome my sweet. which asw are you coming to?


probably the last one, might just come end of april though cause I have finals.

User avatar
let/them/eat/cake
Posts: 595
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:20 pm

Re: Cornell 2013

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:52 pm

como wrote:
galahad85 wrote:So is anyone else going to be in Ithaca for ASW this week?


I'll be there.


Good weekend to come for ASW. The sun has been poking out lately.

Also, Como, I don't know why you haven't just told these kids what's up outright:

"Law School Is Easy."

User avatar
como
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Cornell 2013

Postby como » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:53 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
como wrote:
galahad85 wrote:So is anyone else going to be in Ithaca for ASW this week?


I'll be there.


Good weekend to come for ASW. The sun has been poking out lately.

Also, Como, I don't know why you haven't just told these kids what's up outright:

"Law School Is Easy."


Let them find out for themselves. Some people insist on making it difficult.

User avatar
panda
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Cornell 2013

Postby panda » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:26 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
como wrote:
galahad85 wrote:So is anyone else going to be in Ithaca for ASW this week?


I'll be there.


Good weekend to come for ASW. The sun has been poking out lately.

Also, Como, I don't know why you haven't just told these kids what's up outright:

"Law School Is Easy."


said the boy saying "cheers" to our Ks prof. with his "big coffee mug"

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: Cornell 2013

Postby calicocat » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:29 pm

Panda, when are your finals over? When are you leaving Ithaca for the summer do you know?

User avatar
panda
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Cornell 2013

Postby panda » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:08 pm

calicocat wrote:Panda, when are your finals over? When are you leaving Ithaca for the summer do you know?


finals are over may 18th. not sure when i'm leaving yet.. but probably soon after. why?

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: Cornell 2013

Postby calicocat » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:11 pm

panda wrote:
calicocat wrote:Panda, when are your finals over? When are you leaving Ithaca for the summer do you know?


finals are over may 18th. not sure when i'm leaving yet.. but probably soon after. why?

Just wanna see how long you'll be there cause I wanna visit while you're there but prob can't go till after finals (end of April for me)

User avatar
mbw
Posts: 343
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:56 pm

Re: Cornell 2013

Postby mbw » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:44 am

panda wrote:
let/them/eat/cake wrote:
como wrote:
galahad85 wrote:So is anyone else going to be in Ithaca for ASW this week?


I'll be there.


Good weekend to come for ASW. The sun has been poking out lately.

Also, Como, I don't know why you haven't just told these kids what's up outright:

"Law School Is Easy."


said the boy saying "cheers" to our Ks prof. with his "big coffee mug"


Heh. I wondered who l/t/e/c was. Thanks, Panda, for outing him.

I won't be around much this ASW, but have a meeting this very morning to help plan for diversity ASW, so will see people there. For those attending this ASW - do they let you off-leash at all? If so, two 1L profs will be giving a talk on the death penalty at lunch in the student lounge.

User avatar
vexion
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:29 am

Re: Cornell 2013

Postby vexion » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:51 am

mbw wrote:I won't be around much this ASW, but have a meeting this very morning to help plan for diversity ASW, so will see people there. For those attending this ASW - do they let you off-leash at all? If so, two 1L profs will be giving a talk on the death penalty at lunch in the student lounge.


http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/admissions/admitted/student_days.cfm

We've got lunch at noon, and a couple of 5-minute breaks...

Also, I'm here for the ASW day. Showed up 45 minutes early, since with my luck I tried to plan for every eventuality and ended up way overdoing it. I stopped and asked a guy for directions to the Moot Court Room, and lo and behold, it was Dean Geiger. :shock:

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Cornell 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:03 am

vexion wrote:
mbw wrote:I won't be around much this ASW, but have a meeting this very morning to help plan for diversity ASW, so will see people there. For those attending this ASW - do they let you off-leash at all? If so, two 1L profs will be giving a talk on the death penalty at lunch in the student lounge.


http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/admissions/admitted/student_days.cfm

We've got lunch at noon, and a couple of 5-minute breaks...

Also, I'm here for the ASW day. Showed up 45 minutes early, since with my luck I tried to plan for every eventuality and ended up way overdoing it. I stopped and asked a guy for directions to the Moot Court Room, and lo and behold, it was Dean Geiger. :shock:


Its too cold for me to leave my hotel room and get to the law school :( Is there food waiting for me? Wish me luck.

User avatar
let/them/eat/cake
Posts: 595
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:20 pm

Re: Cornell 2013

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:36 pm

mbw wrote:
panda wrote:
let/them/eat/cake wrote:
galahad85 wrote:So is anyone else going to be in Ithaca for ASW this week?



Good weekend to come for ASW. The sun has been poking out lately.

Also, Como, I don't know why you haven't just told these kids what's up outright:

"Law School Is Easy."


said the boy saying "cheers" to our Ks prof. with his "big coffee mug"


Heh. I wondered who l/t/e/c was. Thanks, Panda, for outing him.

I won't be around much this ASW, but have a meeting this very morning to help plan for diversity ASW, so will see people there. For those attending this ASW - do they let you off-leash at all? If so, two 1L profs will be giving a talk on the death penalty at lunch in the student lounge.


I don't know why big coffee mug is in quotes. Or the 'cheers' for that matter. It sounds a lot dirtier than necessary with the quotes lol

who is MBW? anyone (panda, como, mbw...) can let me know by way of PM.

Also, can the ASW folks get into the Big Red Barn? if they can they should go. Now. That is all.

User avatar
mbw
Posts: 343
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:56 pm

Re: Cornell 2013

Postby mbw » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:58 pm

MBW = the old, obnoxious hag

I did agree with you, however, on that point.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest