Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
vexion

Re: Cornell 2013

Postby vexion » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:22 pm

violinst wrote:Just sent my withdrawal letter to Michigan. Wow, that was some tough decision-making process. But Michigan was too generic for my taste.

Officially joining in the thread.

Hurrah! Good to have you!

sjsteece

Postby sjsteece » Sat May 01, 2010 3:24 am

We're officially 10% of the class.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Sat May 01, 2010 12:41 pm

sjsteece wrote:We're officially 10% of the class.

Yes, but is that top 10% or bottom 10%?

extempore88

Postby extempore88 » Sat May 01, 2010 12:52 pm

Last edited by extempore88 on Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Sat May 01, 2010 1:07 pm

violinst wrote:Just sent my withdrawal letter to Michigan. Wow, that was some tough decision-making process. But Michigan was too generic for my taste.

Officially joining in the thread.

Cornell 1L here. Also turned down Michigan. Very happy I did.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Sat May 01, 2010 2:35 pm

KMaine wrote:Cornell 1L here. Also turned down Michigan. Very happy I did.

I'm not a fan either.

NeXP

Postby NeXP » Sat May 01, 2010 11:53 pm

Looks like I'm sending my deposit this week. I have a wedding to attend up there the second week of June, and was thinking of securing housing then. Should I be doing that earlier?

vexion

Postby vexion » Sun May 02, 2010 6:42 am

NeXP wrote:Looks like I'm sending my deposit this week. I have a wedding to attend up there the second week of June, and was thinking of securing housing then. Should I be doing that earlier?

Couldn't hurt... you might do better in the "Cornell 1L taking questions" thread (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=41118) since they (and Cornell UG alumni) know more about the Ithaca real estate market specifically, and when leases are typically signed.

That being said, there are a few posters in this thread and on the Facebook group advertising their 2BRs, looking for roommates, or looking for places to live themselves. It'd be a good place to start. And I've heard that anyone who wants a spot in Hughes usually gets it, which means that you always have that option to fall back on.

And, oh yeah: congrats! Welcome to the class!

vexion

Postby vexion » Sun May 02, 2010 7:19 am

Can I just use this thread to say I'm trapped on an oil platform in the Gulf of Mexico and bored out of my skull? We haven't been to work in three days because of the weather, they block all the good Internet sites (no Facebook, no Youtube, no blogs). I've got stuff to do, books and movies, but I'm cooped up inside and I want to get out and do something.

And TLS is boring now! I've read all the advice threads and the Cornell threads, I don't care about other people's LSAT prep, and I'm waaay too late to the game to jump into The Lounge. I don't understand what they're all laughing about in there...

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Sun May 02, 2010 7:52 am

The Lounge is a pretty screwed up place, to be honest. The Bitter Pessimism thread moves waaaay too quickly, but Calicocat has it figured out somehow. That said, I still post in the Lounge.

vexion

Postby vexion » Sun May 02, 2010 7:57 am

holybartender wrote:The Lounge is a pretty screwed up place, to be honest. The Bitter Pessimism thread moves waaaay too quickly, but Calicocat has it figured out somehow. That said, I still post in the Lounge.

Yeah CC has some sort of powerful reputation that extends well beyond the typical waitlist/admit/Class of 2013 threads. I'm trying to find the Sparknotes on her so I don't have to wade through all the posts and draw my own conclusions. Then I can know whether I should befriend her or hide from her.

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Sun May 02, 2010 7:59 am

It may be delirium talking but most of them seem alright if not a bit cliquey. On an unrelated note I had the honor of going through three field sobriety tests. I, the 21 year old male on a Saturday night, was the only person pulled over that I could see. Shocking.

vexion

Postby vexion » Sun May 02, 2010 2:06 pm

Summer homework: Learn how to lawyer your way out of them.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Sun May 02, 2010 4:16 pm

vexion wrote:
holybartender wrote:The Lounge is a pretty screwed up place, to be honest. The Bitter Pessimism thread moves waaaay too quickly, but Calicocat has it figured out somehow. That said, I still post in the Lounge.

Yeah CC has some sort of powerful reputation that extends well beyond the typical waitlist/admit/Class of 2013 threads. I'm trying to find the Sparknotes on her so I don't have to wade through all the posts and draw my own conclusions. Then I can know whether I should befriend her or hide from her.

Oh god :lol: don't look in BP I swear I'm a nice person!!!

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Sun May 02, 2010 7:04 pm

calicocat wrote:Oh god :lol: don't look in BP I swear I'm a nice person!!!

This remains to be seen.

Vexion, go read the thread that allegedly started out as about employment statistics from Howard in the Lounge. The mixture of legal misconceptions, blatant racism, implied racism, general stupidity, ad hominems, know-it-all attitudes, and a general trend to devolve into image macro hell is as much of a primer as you can get to the Lounge in one thread.

vexion

Postby vexion » Sun May 02, 2010 8:42 pm

holybartender wrote:Vexion, go read the thread that allegedly started out as about employment statistics from Howard in the Lounge. The mixture of legal misconceptions, blatant racism, implied racism, general stupidity, ad hominems, know-it-all attitudes, and a general trend to devolve into image macro hell is as much of a primer as you can get to the Lounge in one thread.

I can't believe I read the whole thing...

Ostrizr316

Postby Ostrizr316 » Sun May 02, 2010 8:42 pm

Hi All,

I'm also coming off of a 1 year deferral, and will be a member of the class of 2013. I'm looking into housing and trying to find roommates. Is there another post for this currently? If anyone else is looking, feel free to private message me. Thanks!

vexion

Postby vexion » Sun May 02, 2010 9:31 pm

Ostrizr316 wrote:Hi All,

I'm also coming off of a 1 year deferral, and will be a member of the class of 2013. I'm looking into housing and trying to find roommates. Is there another post for this currently? If anyone else is looking, feel free to private message me. Thanks!

The most recent ones in this thread:

boss wrote:Boss
I am indeed still searching for an anybody to help me fill the spot. It's 975 a person/month + utilities (basically everything). You'd be living right across the street from Vexion (+++perk?)! If you've been to Ithaca, you know how rundown and shady some of the apartments can be, I promise on my mother's life that this is heads and shoulders above it.

Thanks for the kind words Vexion!

Alexyoshi wrote:Alexyoshi
FWIW, i'll be living in a room in one of those big 12-room houses on buffalo street. Only grad students will be living there, including a current 1L. Each floor has its own kitchen, bathroom, and living room. 10 min walk to myron taylor - the address is 504 e. buffalo street if you want to google map it. The rooms are a decent size and the landlord (a guy who's owned the building for about five years) is charging about $530 a room, which includes everything, even wireless.

The place was in much better shape than the ~$800 two-bedrooms that I saw in the same area, which were both shitholes, really.

I think there are a couple rooms left on the top floor. if interested, PM me and i'll give his email.

turkishangora wrote:I found this really awesome 2 bdr apartment in collegetown. Cute house, recently renovated, lots of space. Own apartment (so own kitchen and bathroom separate from rest of house). 4min walk to the Law school. I just need a roommate, so PM me if interested. The landlord describes the occupents ot be "quiet and studious".

Girl. 23. nonsmoker. no pets.

EDIT: about 750/month each. all utilities included.

holybartender wrote:Holybartender
Hey everyone, I'm looking for people to live with. I'm a 22 year old male looking to share a few (2? 3? 4?) bedroom apartment/house in Collegetown. Anyone else looking for room mates?

klk

Postby klk » Sun May 02, 2010 11:14 pm

Hey all! I'm double deposited and excited to join you all next year! Thought I'd sneak in and say hi. :) Also, for what it's worth- anyone down in the Novarr Mackesey properties in the Quarry/Valentine area?

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Mon May 03, 2010 1:15 am

klk wrote:Hey all! I'm double deposited and excited to join you all next year! Thought I'd sneak in and say hi. :) Also, for what it's worth- anyone down in the Novarr Mackesey properties in the Quarry/Valentine area?

I think there's one girl from the thread who has a place down there abouts.

CCoolidge

Postby CCoolidge » Mon May 03, 2010 1:17 am

Sent in my second deposit! See you all in the fall.

vexion

Postby vexion » Mon May 03, 2010 6:39 am

klk wrote:Hey all! I'm double deposited and excited to join you all next year! Thought I'd sneak in and say hi. :) Also, for what it's worth- anyone down in the Novarr Mackesey properties in the Quarry/Valentine area?

Pretty much every single current student we met at the first ASD - tour guides and panelists who probably came for the free lunch and dinner - lived in Novarr-MacKesey. All their complexes came highly recommended. So I'm not personally living there, but I know a lot of law students are.

sjsteece

Postby sjsteece » Mon May 03, 2010 7:20 am

Welcome, new officials! You've been added to the list.

AdmitMe17

Postby AdmitMe17 » Mon May 03, 2010 12:13 pm

vexion wrote:

Pretty much every single current student we met at the first ASD - tour guides and panelists who probably came for the free lunch and dinner - lived in Novarr-MacKesey. All their complexes came highly recommended. So I'm not personally living there, but I know a lot of law students are.

I will be! So feel free to PM or anything! Along those same lines, I am still looking for a roommate there. Rent is 865 a month (that includes everything, parking, water, furniture, internet, etc) + 10-20 a month for electricity. I have a 2-bedroom apartment. Let me know if you are interested!

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Mon May 03, 2010 4:10 pm

Aw, Vexion, I thought the link was interesting at least. This stuff has been stewing since November!?

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”