Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
holybartender

Re: Cornell 2013

Postby holybartender » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:29 pm

Hey everyone, I'm looking for people to live with. I'm a 22 year old male looking to share a few (2? 3? 4?) bedroom apartment/house in Collegetown. Anyone else looking for room mates?

Big Tuna

Postby Big Tuna » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:01 pm

holybartender wrote:Hey everyone, I'm looking for people to live with. I'm a 22 year old male looking to share a few (2? 3? 4?) bedroom apartment/house in Collegetown. Anyone else looking for room mates?

I can't decide whether I want Hughes or a multi-person apartment. If it's the latter, I'm definitely interested (23 year old male).

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:04 pm

Have you seen Hughes?

Big Tuna

Postby Big Tuna » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:31 pm

holybartender wrote:Have you seen Hughes?

No, though I may visit this weekend if I have the time.

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:33 pm

It's... interesting. I don't think I really want to live in there, personally, but that's a decision for you I guess.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:45 pm

holybartender wrote:It's... interesting. I don't think I really want to live in there, personally, but that's a decision for you I guess.

but the people seem cool

;)

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:48 pm

Yeah, true. But the idea of having an RA doesn't appeal to me, or sharing a kitchen with 50 people. Ya'll will have to visit or something.

Big Tuna

Postby Big Tuna » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:44 pm

holybartender wrote:Yeah, true. But the idea of having an RA doesn't appeal to me, or sharing a kitchen with 50 people. Ya'll will have to visit or something.

An RA? For grad students? Ehhh... lame.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:43 pm

Big Tuna wrote:
holybartender wrote:Yeah, true. But the idea of having an RA doesn't appeal to me, or sharing a kitchen with 50 people. Ya'll will have to visit or something.

An RA? For grad students? Ehhh... lame.

The RA is a law student, 2L or 3L. And I think it is more of so that they are a single point of contact for problems with the building and such.

vexion

Postby vexion » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:38 pm

Big Tuna wrote:Checking in, just got accepted this week and will be committing soon I think. Anyone else get accepted this late? Also I was wondering what the turn-around time is for merit/need scholarship information? I mailed the financial aid form, my/my parents' tax returns and W2's today priority so I am hoping they will be able to review it Monday at the latest.
I don't know of anyone else who's been accepted this late. Congrats! Did you get in off the waitlist?

As far as finaid turn-around, you might be better off asking in the Cornell 1L Taking Questions thread. Most of us had to submit finaid papers before the March 15th deadline, and I got my letter April 6th. YMMV.

Big Tuna

Postby Big Tuna » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:00 pm

vexion wrote:
Big Tuna wrote:Checking in, just got accepted this week and will be committing soon I think. Anyone else get accepted this late? Also I was wondering what the turn-around time is for merit/need scholarship information? I mailed the financial aid form, my/my parents' tax returns and W2's today priority so I am hoping they will be able to review it Monday at the latest.
I don't know of anyone else who's been accepted this late. Congrats! Did you get in off the waitlist?

As far as finaid turn-around, you might be better off asking in the Cornell 1L Taking Questions thread. Most of us had to submit finaid papers before the March 15th deadline, and I got my letter April 6th. YMMV.

I wasn't on a waitlist though I wouldn't be surprised if I was on a "well we are close to the deadlines anyway might as well hold off on a decision til late April" list internally over there. But who really knows how admissions works anyway...

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:15 pm

When did the site redesign happen for TLS?

vexion

Postby vexion » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:13 am

CyLaw wrote:When did the site redesign happen for TLS?

Overnight. There's been a sticky about it at the top of every forum. It's supposed to come with a bunch of new content.

/doesn't like it

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:45 am

I don't like change.

sjsteece

Postby sjsteece » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:17 am

Agreed. I was furious when the Colbert Report redid their set- but now I'm not even sure I remember what the old one looked like. I am of course positive that the new TLS does not look as good (but I'm sure in a couple of weeks I'll begrudgingly admit it's ok).

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:33 am

vexion wrote:
CyLaw wrote:When did the site redesign happen for TLS?

Overnight. There's been a sticky about it at the top of every forum. It's supposed to come with a bunch of new content.

/doesn't like it

I only use the view your posts and view new posts features, so don't normally see the stickies.

Big Tuna

Postby Big Tuna » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:34 am

Anyone living away from campus planning on bringing a bicycle or are the hills too prohibitively steep for that to make sense?

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:36 am

Big Tuna wrote:Anyone living away from campus planning on bringing a bicycle or are the hills too prohibitively steep for that to make sense?

At ASD there was at least one student said they biked around town, so it is possible. The hills are not shear cliffs (at least where the road is) so it is possible to bike, will probably just take some getting used to it if you are from a flatter area.

legallybrunette16

Postby legallybrunette16 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:56 am

not exactly sure at this stage in the process... but, when I asked for more money the financial aid committee was extremely fast. best of luck and congrats!

Big Tuna

Postby Big Tuna » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:59 am

legallybrunette16 wrote:

not exactly sure at this stage in the process... but, when I asked for more money the financial aid committee was extremely fast. best of luck and congrats!

Thanks!

Yeah I am hoping that is the case, considering they gave me a deposit deadline of 5/7 and I'd like to hear about $ before then if possible.

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:32 pm

legallybrunette16 wrote:

Did you have any success? They shot me down pretty fast.

legallybrunette16

Postby legallybrunette16 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:50 pm

holybartender wrote:
legallybrunette16 wrote:

Did you have any success? They shot me down pretty fast.

ya I actually did.... less than I'd hoped for though. But, free money is free money. I can't really complain.

legallybrunette16

Postby legallybrunette16 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:50 pm

Big Tuna wrote:
legallybrunette16 wrote:

Thanks!

Yeah I am hoping that is the case, considering they gave me a deposit deadline of 5/7 and I'd like to hear about $ before then if possible.

you can always request an extension and tell them you are waiting on your financial aid package. I've heard they are pretty nice about this.

Big Tuna

Postby Big Tuna » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:52 pm

legallybrunette16 wrote:
Big Tuna wrote:
legallybrunette16 wrote:

Thanks!

you can always request an extension and tell them you are waiting on your financial aid package. I've heard they are pretty nice about this.

Touché salesman

violinst

Postby violinst » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:18 pm

Just sent my withdrawal letter to Michigan. Wow, that was some tough decision-making process. But Michigan was too generic for my taste.

Officially joining in the thread.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”