Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Jericwithers

Re: Cornell 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:29 pm

CyLaw wrote:I agree about the kitchen, and that was what initially gave me such a bad reaction. But then I saw some of the kitchens for places to rent, and they were SOOO bad, even in pictures the management company sent me.

I then though about it and realized that most of my "cooking" actually involves just cutting things up from the fridge (Vegetarian FTW). As long as I have a mini fridge and a microwave, I probably only need to use the kitchen a couple of meals a week when I want to bake or stir fry something.

In my mind the kitchen should be the nicest room in a place. Nothing more important than properly cooked food. Nuking vegetables ftl though.

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:30 pm

vexion wrote:Hey CyLaw, forgive my nosiness, but is your wife coming to Ithaca with you? If so, are you sharing a single in Hughes, or renting two places?

She's finishing her PhD at Iowa State before beginning a job with a research lab at Cornell next year.

/creepy

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:30 pm

vexion wrote:Hey CyLaw, forgive my nosiness, but is your wife coming to Ithaca with you? If so, are you sharing a single in Hughes, or renting two places?

She will be coming halfway through 2L. She has to finish her PhD here, and then will come in Spring 2012 to start a postdoc at Cornell. From what we have heard from friends and others, she doesn't want to be around me during 1L anyways. :)

Edit: What holybartender said.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:34 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
CyLaw wrote:I agree about the kitchen, and that was what initially gave me such a bad reaction. But then I saw some of the kitchens for places to rent, and they were SOOO bad, even in pictures the management company sent me.

I then though about it and realized that most of my "cooking" actually involves just cutting things up from the fridge (Vegetarian FTW). As long as I have a mini fridge and a microwave, I probably only need to use the kitchen a couple of meals a week when I want to bake or stir fry something.

In my mind the kitchen should be the nicest room in a place. Nothing more important than properly cooked food. Nuking vegetables ftl though.

Blah. Yeah, no vegetable in the microwave. I was thinking more for tea, soup, lentils, etc. Normally just eat vegetables raw.

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:35 pm

All of this Hughes talk is reminding me I need to find a place in Collegetown. Shit.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:36 pm

CyLaw wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

Blah. Yeah, no vegetable in the microwave. I was thinking more for tea, soup, lentils, etc. Normally just eat vegetables raw.

Enjoying washing them in the sink you are sharing with 4 other doods :D

...I should probably leave this thread though, my welcome has worn out....

GL everyone, see you at the $$$ firms!

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:40 pm

Jericwithers wrote:Enjoying washing them in the sink you are sharing with 4 other doods :D

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. :D Didn't think about that.

vexion

Postby vexion » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:42 pm

holybartender wrote:All of this Hughes talk is reminding me I need to find a place in Collegetown. Shit.
I'm gonna act the shill and do a favor for a friend here, but I'll recommend splitting boss' place, the same place I told him he ought to push to CyLaw...

Boss was asking around back in January or February for someone to split a 2/2 with, and he and I ended up apartment-hunting all day Saturday after the first ASD. He's a pretty cool kid. I ended up signing a lease on a 1BR I couldn't pass up, while he signed one on a really nice 2BR without a roommate yet, and AFAIK he's still looking.

If I remember right it was ~$950/mo, not sure which utilities were included. VERY spacious, huge bedrooms, vaulted ceilings, and about 3 minutes from the law school. You literally can't get closer outside of Hughes.

I felt like a dick leaving him high and dry, but I've heard things about the New York real estate market. It can change a man... :evil:

EDIT: For boss' privacy. My bad.

boss

Postby boss » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:51 pm

vexion wrote:
holybartender wrote:All of this Hughes talk is reminding me I need to find a place in Collegetown. Shit.
I'm gonna act the shill and do a favor for a friend here, but I'll recommend splitting boss' place, the same place I told him he ought to push to CyLaw...

Boss was asking around back in January or February for someone to split a 2/2 with, and he and I ended up apartment-hunting all day Saturday after the first ASD. He's a pretty cool kid. I ended up signing a lease on a 1BR I couldn't pass up, while he signed one on a really nice 2BR without a roommate yet, and AFAIK he's still looking.

If I remember right it was ~$950/mo, not sure which utilities were included. VERY spacious, huge bedrooms, vaulted ceilings, and about 3 minutes from the law school (on Dryden a couple blocks from College, if you want to Google Maps it.)

I felt like a dick leaving him high and dry, but I've heard things about the New York real estate market. It can change a man... :evil:

I am indeed still searching for an anybody to help me fill the spot. It's 975 a person/month + utilities (basically everything). You'd be living right across the street from Vexion (+++perk?)! If you've been to Ithaca, you know how rundown and shady some of the apartments can be, I promise on my mother's life that this is heads and shoulders above it.

Thanks for the kind words Vexion!

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:53 pm

Wait, 975/month includes or doesn't include utilities?

boss

Postby boss » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:54 pm

holybartender wrote:Wait, 975/month includes or doesn't include utilities?

Unfortunately, it includes nothing but cold water.

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:54 pm

Have photos by chance?

extempore88

Postby extempore88 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:21 pm

Last edited by extempore88 on Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:24 pm

Would you message me his info again? I managed to lose it.

sjsteece

Postby sjsteece » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:46 am

Wow, this thread kind of exploded. I feel like my apartment in Cayuga Heights is going to be a world away.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:52 am

sjsteece wrote:Wow, this thread kind of exploded. I feel like my apartment in Cayuga Heights is going to be a world away.

We'll be friends with you <3

sjsteece

Postby sjsteece » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:31 am

I was hoping the 1.3 miles wouldn't keep us apart =)

vexion

Postby vexion » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:32 am

Had a dream about TLS and the first day at Cornell last
night.

I officially need to get out more.

alexyoshi

Postby alexyoshi » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:57 pm

FWIW, i'll be living in a room in one of those big 12-room houses on buffalo street. Only grad students will be living there, including a current 1L. Each floor has its own kitchen, bathroom, and living room. 10 min walk to myron taylor - the address is 504 e. buffalo street if you want to google map it. The rooms are a decent size and the landlord (a guy who's owned the building for about five years) is charging about $530 a room, which includes everything, even wireless.

The place was in much better shape than the ~$800 two-bedrooms that I saw in the same area, which were both shitholes, really.

I think there are a couple rooms left on the top floor. if interested, PM me and i'll give his email.

Luboman411

Postby Luboman411 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:39 pm

This is my first time posting to this forum, or to TLS for that matter. I'm still on the fence about deferring Cornell for the class of 2014. But I'm a prudent guy, so I figure that looking into the apartment situation if I opt for the class of 2013 is a good idea.

Alexyoshi, can you please PM me that email information you offered about the group house near Myron Taylor Hall? The price sounds about right, and from what you're telling me the set-up doesn't sound so bad. I would PM you, but I've never used TLS before, so I don't know how to go about PMing people just yet. Thanks! I would appreciate the help.

Also, does anyone think it would be a good idea to rent a place site-unseen? I'm overseas right now and I can't make it to Ithaca to check out places until early July, at the earliest.

Luboman411

Postby Luboman411 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:45 pm

Just figured how to PM. Very simple. Stupid me! :D

fsohn

Postby fsohn » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:05 am

sjsteece wrote:Wow, this thread kind of exploded. I feel like my apartment in Cayuga Heights is going to be a world away.

Cayuga Heights is a lovely walk when the weather's nice. At least you aren't all the way in Lansing.

turkishangora

Postby turkishangora » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:53 am

Is there a roommate finder for the law school?

vexion

Postby vexion » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:41 pm

turkishangora wrote:Is there a roommate finder for the law school?
Well, Cornell (the university, not the law school) has a housing listserv (http://dos.cornell.edu/dos/ocho/, at the bottom of the page.) But you need a netID to join. I hear there's a lot of "Looking for Roommate" on the law school listserv, but you need a netID for that one too. And there's a Housing discussion on the Cornell Law School Class of 2013 Facebook page, but it's not too busy.

jms116

Postby jms116 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:01 pm

Hey guys,

I just went to Ithaca last weekend and got my apartment for the upcoming year. I was just wondering if anyone could let me know how my location is as far as social life. I am living in a studio across from collegetown bagels in college ave, so like 2 blocks from the law school. Where do law students usually go out?

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”