Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
niclaw

Re: Cornell 2013

Postby niclaw » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:28 am

Hi TLS Cornell People!

I posted earlier that I'm looking for someone to take over my apartment, but I think it was a bit early since most people hadn't heard yet, or accepted yet.

I'm looking for someone to take over my apartment this summer, either from May 15th or June 1st on. Essentially, if any of you are coming to Ithaca early, you would sublet the apartment from me, then renew the lease from August 1st. It's a great apartment, I'm just working in NYC this summer and then studying abroad in the Fall, so I decided to let it go. It was a great place for me and my fiance b/c it's a one bedroom, but also has an office. It's really close to the commons (which has great restaurants, a few coffee shops, cute stores etc.), and only steps from Cascadilla falls, a gorge path up to campus, and steps from the 10 bus that goes to school if you don't want to walk. Oh, and it's $800/month (though price negotiable for June/July).

The apartment also has a cute balcony off of the kitchen which is really nice during the summer/fall/spring.

Please only contact me if you are interested in renting the apartment from June on, I'm hoping to find someone to take it from June, so I don't want to rent it out from August without finding someone to take it earlier. :)

Thanks and welcome to those of you who decided on Cornell!

Nicolette (If you have more questions, and if you would like pictures, please PM me)

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:41 pm

I am also leasing my apartment for the summer. Price is negotiable. June 1st to July 31st.

cicely101

Postby cicely101 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:48 am

Anyone get word on Hughes room assignments yet?! When do you think we'll start to hear back?

legallybrunette16

Postby legallybrunette16 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:26 am

cicely101 wrote:Anyone get word on Hughes room assignments yet?! When do you think we'll start to hear back?

I spoke to Missy Riker on March 29 and she said they should start coming in the next 2 weeks....

which is right about... NOW!

It is my understanding that Cornell was waiting for the first deposit deadline to pass so that they could assign spots to people who had (1) applied to Hughes and (2) paid their deposit.

I bet we hear by the end of the week.

sjsteece

Postby sjsteece » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:48 am

I'm getting pretty excited! I found a cool review site online if anyone is as nerdy as I am and wants to look at things to do/places to eat and so on.

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=&n ... haca%2C+NY

I hope they start sending out our net IDs soon. It is annoying to me that I can't view everything on their website. I really just have too much time on my hands these days...

vexion

Postby vexion » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:02 am

sjsteece wrote:I really just have too much time on my hands these days...
You and me both... I'm still just obsessively lurking TLS, but now 90% of the threads -- LSAT prep, which school do I choose -- don't interest me. :?

I want something to learn!

sjsteece

Postby sjsteece » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:38 am

vexion wrote:
sjsteece wrote:I really just have too much time on my hands these days...
You and me both... I'm still just obsessively lurking TLS, but now 90% of the threads -- LSAT prep, which school do I choose -- don't interest me. :?

I want something to learn!

I know exactly what you mean! When you made that comment about reading that thread cover to cover (which may have been the Cornell 1L thread now that I think about it) I wondered to myself if you had gone back to read the past years' threads too. I just know way too much about what TLS has to say on Cornell.

vexion

Postby vexion » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:51 am

sjsteece wrote:I wondered to myself if you had gone back to read the past years' threads too. I just know way too much about what TLS has to say on Cornell.
"That's a good idea. I'll go read those now."

*glances at the Cornell 2012 thread*

"Oh God it's 62 pages..."

Mosca

Postby Mosca » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:59 am

Can somebody please tell me how many people are in the Class of 2013 facebook group? I was EA deferred and I want to get a better idea of my chances (I know that number of people in the facebook group =/= number of people who paid seat deposit). Thanks

sjsteece

Postby sjsteece » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:50 pm

There are 133 members, but remember this is just a group for admitted students who wanted to join- so it's quite likely that several of them are not actually attending.

Vexion, I think you and I are going to be friends (I know you're reading the Cornell 2012 thread right now).

Mosca

Postby Mosca » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:20 pm

sjsteece wrote:There are 133 members, but remember this is just a group for admitted students who wanted to join- so it's quite likely that several of them are not actually attending.

Thanks. I agree it's likely that not everyone in the group will be attending. I just wanted a rough estimate to gauge my chances.

cicely101

Postby cicely101 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:26 pm

It's starting to become even more official...just got an email confirming that they got my seat deposit!!! :lol:

violinst

Postby violinst » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:27 pm

cicely101 wrote:It's starting to become even more official...just got an email confirming that they got my seat deposit!!! :lol:

Me too.

(I am still undecided though.)

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:35 pm

violinst wrote:
cicely101 wrote:It's starting to become even more official...just got an email confirming that they got my seat deposit!!! :lol:

Me too.

(I am still undecided though.)

Wait did you put a deposit down at both Cornell and Michigan?

amichig

Postby amichig » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:51 pm

Just beginning the housing search and have a quick question. There was someone (perhaps two people) at the last ASD that said not to live in a Pam Johnston apartment. Does anyone have experience with them as landlords? Anything horrible? Anything exceptionally good?

I've found a cute place with them, but am very hesitant given what was said over my visit. Your help is GREATLY appreciated!

(And for what it's worth, I'm doing the housing search from afar so a visit/meeting with Pam Johnston is not possible).

Thank you!

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:01 pm

Cornell just emailed to let me know they increased my scholarship from $60k to $75k. Since I had already withdrawn and missed the deposit deadline they should have increased it to $155k just for fun lol.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:00 pm

Ug, they just emailed me saying they won't increase my scholarship at all. I told them dead on that pretty much any increase will guarantee that I will put down my deposit and attend Cornell. I'm surprised that, given that level of commitment, as well as all the money they have coming back in from students who decided not to attend, that they didn't give me a penny extra. Ug, now I have a hard decision to make. Of course, they couldn't make it easy on me.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:12 pm

dakatz wrote:Ug, they just emailed me saying they won't increase my scholarship at all. I told them dead on that pretty much any increase will guarantee that I will put down my deposit and attend Cornell. I'm surprised that, given that level of commitment, as well as all the money they have coming back in from students who decided not to attend, that they didn't give me a penny extra. Ug, now I have a hard decision to make. Of course, they couldn't make it easy on me.

:? Sorry. I would give you all my money if I could. What are your choices?

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:15 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
dakatz wrote:Ug, they just emailed me saying they won't increase my scholarship at all. I told them dead on that pretty much any increase will guarantee that I will put down my deposit and attend Cornell. I'm surprised that, given that level of commitment, as well as all the money they have coming back in from students who decided not to attend, that they didn't give me a penny extra. Ug, now I have a hard decision to make. Of course, they couldn't make it easy on me.

It was down to Cornell or BU. My girlfriend is most likely working in Boston, plus BU would put me in nearly no debt, so I put a deposit down there. But I was counting on Cornell upping the offer, since I really want to maximize my opportunities and open up the most doors.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:17 pm

dakatz wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

It was down to Cornell or BU. My girlfriend is most likely working in Boston, plus BU would put me in nearly no debt, so I put a deposit down there. But I was counting on Cornell upping the offer, since I really want to maximize my opportunities and open up the most doors.

Debt free + happy girlfriend is still a great choice. BU has lots of respect so just aim for the top 'o the class and open those doors for yourself!

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:18 pm

My request for increased aid was also turned down. C'est la vie.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:22 pm

Wow they really made a bad choice giving me more money then, the person who had already withdrawn :|

EDIT FOR CLARIFICATION: All schools who give me money made a bad choice.

vexion

Postby vexion » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:26 pm

sjsteece wrote:Vexion, I think you and I are going to be friends (I know you're reading the Cornell 2012 thread right now).
Heh, I wish. Unfortunately work keeps me from browsing the Internet for unhealthy amounts of time like I'm used to. I don't even have a computer where I'm living right now. I thumbed through the Cornell 1L thread on my phone...

But hurrah for friends!

vexion

Postby vexion » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:29 pm

Also, in light of the finaid discussion coming back to the forefront, did anyone else elect to pay sticker at Cornell? I'm desperately seeking validation here...

ladiesandgerms

Postby ladiesandgerms » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:32 pm

Last edited by ladiesandgerms on Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”