Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
cicely101

Re: Cornell 2013

Postby cicely101 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:03 pm

CyLaw wrote:
cicely101 wrote:CyLaw I think I met you during ASW!!!! I was the very talkative black girl in the group! lol

Yep.

CyLaw wrote:
cicely101 wrote:I think I'll be Hughesing it up this fall!!! Who's with me?!

After the tour today i am definitely rethinking the whole Hughes thing. Something just seems off about it, and it does help that it looks like a carbon copy of my old barracks.

Btw I think we had lunch together today.

Lol...didn't even catch that earlier post! Well good to have met you IRL!

vexion

Postby vexion » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:06 pm

cicely101 wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
legallybrunette16 wrote:Turned in the deposit this weekend... and literally spent $200 on Cornell clothing!!!

$80 for me. Cornell Law Sweatshirt from Bear Necessities and 2 hats from the Cornell Store.

$45 for me! Got me a black and red Cornell Law sweatshirt that I proudly sported on the bus ride back to NYC! :lol:

So it wasn't just me? I was there on the first ASD in March, and it was pretty cold. I snapped up the black and red hoodie just to keep warm (and show my newfound Cornell pride.)

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:06 pm

CyLaw wrote:At first I thought you meant wearing the sweatshirt. Then I realized you meant leaving Ithaca.

::facepalm to self::

You are reading faaaar too much into my comment lol. I must have a bad rep in this thread if I can even post a neutral compliment without having someone think I am dumping on Cornell.

I was saying that it feels good to take pride in your accomplishments and be borderline 'in your face' about it by wearing law school apparel from your school outside of said school. I bought a Duke t-shirt and wore it the entire week of the final four and have already wore my law tshirt to play golf to show the starchy old white guys that I am one of them. Its comparable gloating.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:06 pm

vexion wrote:
cicely101 wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
legallybrunette16 wrote:Turned in the deposit this weekend... and literally spent $200 on Cornell clothing!!!

$80 for me. Cornell Law Sweatshirt from Bear Necessities and 2 hats from the Cornell Store.

$45 for me! Got me a black and red Cornell Law sweatshirt that I proudly sported on the bus ride back to NYC! :lol:

So it wasn't just me? I was there on the first ASD in March, and it was pretty cold. I snapped up the black and red hoodie just to keep warm (and show my newfound Cornell pride.)

You were at the first ASD? We should have met since there were only 20 of us there lol.

cicely101

Postby cicely101 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:10 pm

vexion wrote:
cicely101 wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

Nope not just you!

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:11 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
CyLaw wrote:At first I thought you meant wearing the sweatshirt. Then I realized you meant leaving Ithaca.

You are reading faaaar too much into my comment lol. I must have a bad rep in this thread if I can even post a neutral compliment without having someone think I am dumping on Cornell.

I was saying that it feels good to take pride in your accomplishments and be borderline 'in your face' about it by wearing law school apparel from your school outside of said school. I bought a Duke t-shirt and wore it the entire week of the final four and have already wore my law tshirt to play golf to show the starchy old white guys that I am one of them. Its comparable gloating.

Sorry. Mea Culpa. You are right.

vexion

Postby vexion » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:03 am

Jericwithers wrote:You were at the first ASD? We should have met since there were only 20 of us there lol.
Yep. I was there.

sjsteece

Postby sjsteece » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:58 am

CyLaw wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

Sorry. Mea Culpa. You are right.

To be fair, I had a similar reaction. I read the post and thought to myself 'Crap, maybe I misjudged jericwithers and now he'll actually start being nice and might even really be going to Cornell' then I read cylaw's post and felt reassured that I had just missed the intial negativitiy. Now I am lost again, but get the feeling he's going to Duke anyway. Oh the trials of getting to know people on message boards.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:02 am

Jeric, whose rep is worse? Mine or yours?

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:58 am

calicocat wrote:Jeric, whose rep is worse? Mine or yours?

Here? Mine. You will be Queen of Cornell this time next year. Ill be the.....yes....the Duke of Duke. Overall? I am not sure. I am becoming more and more hated in the threads I post in each and every day. You keep all your posts to a single thread.

jms116

Postby jms116 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:40 am

Hey guys,

I am going out to Cornell next Friday the 23rd to find an apartment. Anyone have any advice about companies to email or people to contact? I am loooking to spend between 600-750 a month and have a small bird I am bringing with me.

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:01 pm

Cornell seriously wants copies of my and my parents' '09 tax returns? Got to be kidding me.

sjsteece

Postby sjsteece » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:14 pm

jms116 wrote:Hey guys,

I am going out to Cornell next Friday the 23rd to find an apartment. Anyone have any advice about companies to email or people to contact? I am loooking to spend between 600-750 a month and have a small bird I am bringing with me.

I used this site to find my apartment

--LinkRemoved--

They only have a couple left (the link is for a studio) so they seem to be pretty popular. There were quite a few units/properties listed when I started my housing search back in November. They seem to have a really good reputation, and they also seem to care about who they rent to (they actually called the references I listed). Anyway, best of luck on the housing search.

mbw

Postby mbw » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:31 pm

lawschoollll wrote:Cornell seriously wants copies of my and my parents' '09 tax returns? Got to be kidding me.

Don't take it too personally -- last year, they asked for my and my parents' return on three separate occasions. This, despite my informing them via email (and it was on my app), that my parents have been dead for nearly a decade and I'm married with kids. They eventually figured it out -- there's a lot going on in a very small office. If you are over a certain age and independent (in line with their financial aid guidelines,) let them know when you send in your paperwork. Not a big deal.

yelgnits

Postby yelgnits » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:22 pm

You can officially count me in -- sent in the seat deposit on Tuesday!

--edit--

Also, my fiancee and I are looking for a place to live and would be interested in getting a place with another student or student-with-significant-other. P.M. me!

Fuser

Postby Fuser » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:28 pm

sjsteece wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

They only have a couple left (the link is for a studio) so they seem to be pretty popular. There were quite a few units/properties listed when I started my housing search back in November. They seem to have a really good reputation, and they also seem to care about who they rent to (they actually called the references I listed). Anyway, best of luck on the housing search.

I am also looking to find housing in Ithaca, preferably a studio less than 900$. I am concerned that i'll have difficult time finding a place since I wont be able to visit Ithaca before school starts. Anyone have advice on renting sight-unseen, any recommendations?

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:51 pm

Sent my deposit in before work today. Can add me to the list.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:16 pm

holybartender wrote:Sent my deposit in before work today. Can add me to the list.

See you there.

sjsteece

Postby sjsteece » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Fuser wrote:
sjsteece wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

I am also looking to find housing in Ithaca, preferably a studio less than 900$. I am concerned that i'll have difficult time finding a place since I wont be able to visit Ithaca before school starts. Anyone have advice on renting sight-unseen, any recommendations?

I had to rent sight-unseen, which I was very nervous about. In the end I just read a bunch of reviews of different places online and decided the best thing to do was go with a company or landlord that had been around a long time and seemed to care about who was renting from them. I would also suggest requesting a lot of pictures from different angles of the exact unit you will be renting (not a model) and a very specific lease agreement. If you're really concerned about it perhaps the best thing to do would be to just look for a roommate who has been to Ithaca and seen the place they are looking to split with someone. Of course then you may have to reconcile yourself to a sight-unseen roommate :)

vexion

Postby vexion » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:11 pm

Cornell has an Off-Campus Housing Office that provides pretty good information to help you out.

There's a list of apartments and apartment complexes in Ithaca at http://dos.cornell.edu/dos/cms/ocho/upl ... G-2010.pdf. It's not exhaustive, I'm not sure if inclusion on that list is self-selection by landlords or what. But it's a good jumping-off point. As well, the OCHO has a searchable online database for housing in Ithaca at https://larissa.campuslife.cornell.edu: ... age1-1.asp.

As well, Craigslist has a pretty good selection of apartments for rent in Ithaca. Worth checking out, you never know what you'll find. When I went apartment-hunting I used both OCHO and Craigslist, and a lot of listings on OCHO's database overlapped with Craigslist.

The areas CLOSE to campus are Collegetown, Lower Collegetown, West Campus if you want to walk a bit. If you're looking for $600-$750/mo, you're pretty much limited to small studios in Collegetown. Further out from campus, prices drop dramatically.

Disclaimer: I am not a current student. I'm probably missing a good bit of useful info.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:59 am

Alright procrastinators, It is deposit day. Get your checks out in the mail and join us this fall at Cornell.

grandslam

Postby grandslam » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:34 am

On my way to the post office - I guess it's official! Hellooo Ithaca. :P

legallybrunette16

Postby legallybrunette16 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:19 pm

oooh! Today is so exciting! Our class is essentially sealed! :shock:

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:13 pm

legallybrunette16 wrote:oooh! Today is so exciting! Our class is essentially sealed! :shock:

I'm suprised at the percentage of the class on TLS. 7.5% so far. (15 on the front page out of ~200 for expected class size).

ninjagirl

Postby ninjagirl » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:20 pm

Are any of you waiting until you receive your FinAid package before sending in the deposit? When I called the admissions office to ask for an extension of the seat deposit deadline, she said that the seat deposit isn't due until after you've received the FinAid package. (I was admitted only recently.) Not sure if I should trust that or go ahead and send something in today just in case.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”