Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
calicocat

Re: Cornell 2013

Postby calicocat » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:56 pm

CyLaw wrote:
cicely101 wrote:I think I'll be Hughesing it up this fall!!! Who's with me?!

After the tour today i am definitely rethinking the whole Hughes thing. Something just seems off about it, and it does help that it looks like a carbon copy of my old barracks.

Btw I think we had lunch together today.

Oh god are you serious? Did you happen to take pictures of it?

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:23 am

calicocat wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

After the tour today i am definitely rethinking the whole Hughes thing. Something just seems off about it, and it does help that it looks like a carbon copy of my old barracks.

Forgot my camera so no pictures. And i should note that i was air force so barracks for me were like dorms for normal college kids. It was not as bad as the barracks in basic (60 man type) but where very very close to what i lived in for job training.

Sig218

Postby Sig218 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:19 am

I got the same weird feeling from Hughes.

Was it stuffy when you were in there? When I toured, the temperature and living conditions just felt uncomfortable.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:44 am

calicocat wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

So you believe these people but not me? Ouch..
Sig218 wrote:I got the same weird feeling from Hughes.

Was it stuffy when you were in there? When I toured, the temperature and living conditions just felt uncomfortable.

It was when I was there, and that was the 1st ASD on March 5th.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:50 am

tbf jeri, too much of your trolling centers on me

hth

;)

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:19 am

calicocat wrote:tbf jeri, too much of your trolling centers on me

hth

;)

I only did that in the Michigan thread, and it isn't trolling if it's true. Also, much more of my trolling centers on Duke.

Seriously, Hughes sucks and don't go there. It was the worst 15 minutes of my ASD trip, and that includes my stay in a hotel room that was smaller than my bathroom.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:21 am

Jericwithers wrote:

hth

;)

I only did that in the Michigan thread, and it isn't trolling if it's true. Also, much more of my trolling centers on Duke.

Seriously, Hughes sucks and don't go there. It was the worst 15 minutes of my ASD trip, and that includes my stay in a hotel room that was smaller than my bathroom.

Fuck, like how bad is bad? Like increasing the chances of suicide bad?

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:24 am

calicocat wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

hth

;)

Fuck, like how bad is bad? Like increasing the chances of suicide bad?

HAHAH I would say at least 2x increased chance.

sjsteece

Postby sjsteece » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:53 am

Maybe there is a current student out there who can post some pictures for us. Just to add some balance, when I visited it seemed to me that Hughes is really not that bad, its just...dorms. I found it strikingly similar to the dorms at my undergrad. When I toured we met a few people who had lived there for more than one year, and they all still seemed perfectly sane. They all said the greatest thing was being able to just walk right across to the law school. Plus, you can always just go to the library when the small room and depressing paint get to be too much.

Point is, don't freak out. If you don't like dorms, you won't like these, but if you are ok with them then I think you'll make it through the year in tact. Besides, Hughes is always overly in demand by people wanting convenience over comfort, so you can always start the apartment hunt now and make someone else who wants to live there very happy. Just decide what's most important for you.

legallybrunette16

Postby legallybrunette16 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:00 am

I saw Hughes and I really didn't think it was that bad! There are so many positive reasons to live in Hughes! Maybe you had a bad tour or saw different rooms than I did, but I was happy with what I saw. I also spoke with a current student living in Hughes and he had nothing but positive things to say about Hughes! I'm definitely applying!

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:12 am

Bah I guess the stuffy, insufferable heat had a strong effect as to why I liked it. All I know is that nobody who I toured the place with was wanting to live there afterwards, but it could have been a 'will of the majority' and the couple of few who liked it didn't speak up.

It is not too far off to say that Hughes isn't everyone's cup of tea. I look fondly back on my days in my dorm and I hate walking up hills just as much as anyone else, but Hughes is just a different level.

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:39 pm

CyLaw wrote:

Hah, Cy->Cyclones->Iowa State. You described the PILIP to me, appreciate that again!

sjsteece

Postby sjsteece » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:24 pm

Got an email from Dean Geiger saying Cornell has received both of my deposits (sent last year) and that I'll be getting information about orientation and registration in the mail in the next few weeks (whatever that means in Cornell speak). It's all starting to feel more real, I'm excited!

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:07 pm

holybartender wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

Hah, Cy->Cyclones->Iowa State. You described the PILIP to me, appreciate that again!

No problem. Yeah anyone who meets me IRL will know who I am on TLS.

cicely101

Postby cicely101 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:09 am

Typing from my friend's room in Hughes right now, and it is not a bad as Jeri says! I'll definitely be in Hughes next year so long as they assign me a room! The only downfall is the dorm-style bathrooms, but even that is not too awful! Mind you I also saw an off-campus apartment. It was nice, but I value the proximity of Hughes to the law school.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:17 am

cicely101 wrote:Typing from my friend's room in Hughes right now, and it is not a bad as Jeri says! I'll definitely be in Hughes next year so long as they assign me a room! The only downfall is the dorm-style bathrooms, but even that is not too awful! Mind you I also saw an off-campus apartment. It was nice, but I value the proximity of Hughes to the law school.

Will be hughes too!

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:17 am

cicely101 wrote:Typing from my friend's room in Hughes right now, and it is not a bad as Jeri says! I'll definitely be in Hughes next year so long as they assign me a room! The only downfall is the dorm-style bathrooms, but even that is not too awful! Mind you I also saw an off-campus apartment. It was nice, but I value the proximity of Hughes to the law school.

Ouch, specifically called out on my anti-Hughes opinion. Don't forget to find alternative ways to get your daily vitamin D! :lol:

cicely101

Postby cicely101 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:26 am

calicocat wrote:

Will be hughes too!

YAYYYYYY!!!! Can't wait to be "real life" friends!!! lol

And Jeri...why the hate, aren't you going to Duke? Let Cornell and Hughes be man! lol

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:28 am

cicely101 wrote:
calicocat wrote:

Will be hughes too!

And Jeri...why the hate, aren't you going to Duke? Let Cornell and Hughes be man! lol

OH screw him, he's going to duke

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:30 am

calicocat wrote:
cicely101 wrote:
calicocat wrote:

Will be hughes too!

OH screw him, he's going to duke

Ouch, and I thought that out schools could get along as being the same tier and make fun of lower/higher tiers. Does it make you people not hate me if I say that Cornell's ASD was the best out of all I went to?

EDIT: I also never talked nothing bad about Cornell, for the record. Just Hughes. If I was 'Hughes' I would be ashamed to have such a housing situation named after me! The 'Withers' dorm at Duke will be much classier!

acdisagod

Postby acdisagod » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:40 am

How quick does Hughes fill up, when should i apply by?

dreaming

Postby dreaming » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:33 pm

When people got accepted, did you all have links to the admitted students site in your status checker and/or get an email saying you were accepted?? :oops:

sjsteece

Postby sjsteece » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:28 pm

acdisagod wrote:How quick does Hughes fill up, when should i apply by?

I think it fills up pretty quickly. If memory serves me right, last year someone found a link to apply online early. The information packet you get in the mail just tells you to go apply online so you could get a jump on people. You should check the class of 2012 thread.

violinst

Postby violinst » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:58 pm

Just want to say that Cornell's ASW was great. The campus is breathtaking: When I stood behind the clock tower and looked over the valley with clouds rolling above me, I felt that Ithaca could be a very nice place for me to spend three years; The administrative people were down-to-the-earth, honest, and pragmatic: They approached questions in a very direct and realistic way, and were never unnecessarily promotional; The atmosphere was very collegial and the student body seems very tight-knit, much more so than the students I met at Michigan's ASW (people there seemed just friendly and nice to each other, without having a special sense of tightness). To me, Cornell is very much like Michigan, but more intimate and personal. I was very impressed.

sjsteece

Postby sjsteece » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:49 pm

violinst wrote:Just want to say that Cornell's ASW was great. The campus is breathtaking: When I stood behind the clock tower and looked over the valley with clouds rolling above me, I felt that Ithaca could be a very nice place for me to spend three years; The administrative people were down-to-the-earth, honest, and pragmatic: They approached questions in a very direct and realistic way, and were never unnecessarily promotional; The atmosphere was very collegial and the student body seems very tight-knit, much more so than the students I met at Michigan's ASW (people there seemed just friendly and nice to each other, without having a special sense of tightness). To me, Cornell is very much like Michigan, but more intimate and personal. I was very impressed.

Shall we add you to the official attending list? I'm going to start one by the way on the first page, let me know if I've missed anyone.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”