Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
dakatz

Re: Cornell 2013

Postby dakatz » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:32 pm

Called up a few Cornell graduates, including some from as recent as the class of 2009. They had nothing but positive things to say about the school, and all seemed to love it there. I was amazed at how these busy professionals were so quickly willing to chat with me for a solid 30 min. I'm torn between Cornell and BU right now, but all these positive reviews of Cornell from recent grads might be tipping the scales a bit. According to a 2009 grad, everyone he knew who had a pulse got the types of jobs they wanted, with few exceptions. And since Cornell would leave me with about 85K in total debt, it is almost, dare I say, affordable...

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:43 pm

dakatz wrote:Called up a few Cornell graduates, including some from as recent as the class of 2009. They had nothing but positive things to say about the school, and all seemed to love it there. I was amazed at how these busy professionals were so quickly willing to chat with me for a solid 30 min. I'm torn between Cornell and BU right now, but all these positive reviews of Cornell from recent grads might be tipping the scales a bit. According to a 2009 grad, everyone he knew who had a pulse got the types of jobs they wanted, with few exceptions. And since Cornell would leave me with about 85K in total debt, it is almost, dare I say, affordable...

$85k isn't bad. My goal is to end up with less than $100k, but it doesn't seem possible with my current award amounts.

I emailed them about reconsidering my offer to make it more competitive with my other offers, so I hope that works lol.

dudester

Postby dudester » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:05 am

dakatz wrote:Called up a few Cornell graduates, including some from as recent as the class of 2009. They had nothing but positive things to say about the school, and all seemed to love it there. I was amazed at how these busy professionals were so quickly willing to chat with me for a solid 30 min. I'm torn between Cornell and BU right now, but all these positive reviews of Cornell from recent grads might be tipping the scales a bit. According to a 2009 grad, everyone he knew who had a pulse got the types of jobs they wanted, with few exceptions. And since Cornell would leave me with about 85K in total debt, it is almost, dare I say, affordable...

How much would you have to pay for BU?

dudester

Postby dudester » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:11 am

Jericwithers wrote:

$85k isn't bad. My goal is to end up with less than $100k, but it doesn't seem possible with my current award amounts.

I emailed them about reconsidering my offer to make it more competitive with my other offers, so I hope that works lol.

Open your letter with this line FTW:

Jericwithers wrote:$60k, same as Duke. Lame.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:13 am

dudester wrote:Open your letter with this line FTW:

I went with: "$60k? Hah! I know an AGGIE who got twice as much as that with the same numbers. Enter me into LSP and see what happens. Kthxbai"

sjsteece

Postby sjsteece » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:10 am

Jericwithers wrote:

I went with: "$60k? Hah! I know an AGGIE who got twice as much as that with the same numbers. Enter me into LSP and see what happens. Kthxbai"

I thought you had left.

lawblahblah

Postby lawblahblah » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:18 am

120K!!!!! I can't believe this. They didn't invite me to apply for the Dean's Scholar. I was admitted before getting my second LSAT score and even asked them if I could be reconsidered as an applicant for the Dean's Scholar once I got it. After getting denied I didn't even think it was possible.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:48 am

lawblahblah wrote:120K!!!!! I can't believe this. They didn't invite me to apply for the Dean's Scholar. I was admitted before getting my second LSAT score and even asked them if I could be reconsidered as an applicant for the Dean's Scholar once I got it. After getting denied I didn't even think it was possible.

Congrats. That has to be a nice feeling.

ShibaDan

Postby ShibaDan » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:52 am

lawblahblah wrote:120K!!!!! I can't believe this. They didn't invite me to apply for the Dean's Scholar. I was admitted before getting my second LSAT score and even asked them if I could be reconsidered as an applicant for the Dean's Scholar once I got it. After getting denied I didn't even think it was possible.

Congrats! Had you already previously decided on Cornell or did this clinch it for you?

lawblahblah

Postby lawblahblah » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:14 am

def2104 wrote:

Congrats! Had you already previously decided on Cornell or did this clinch it for you?

I was actually going to pay a seat deposit at NYU tonight. I'm about 90% confident that I am taking the Cornell offer. I am still just in shock.

ShibaDan

Postby ShibaDan » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:18 am

lawblahblah wrote:
def2104 wrote:

I was actually going to pay a seat deposit at NYU tonight. I'm about 90% confident that I am taking the Cornell offer. I am still just in shock.

Wow, good thing you waited! If you really like NYU I would try a negotiation. If that doesn't work I say enjoy Ithaca! $120,000 is like getting one year of big law salary handed to you, most excellent!

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:11 pm

sjsteece wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

I thought you had left.

Ouch, I will now. It seems the weather isn't the only thing cold up in Ithaca.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:14 pm

dudester wrote:

How much would you have to pay for BU?

BU would be about 25K total debt, since they decided to up my scholarship a few days ago. So its a difference of about 60K. If Cornell could up my scholarship a bit, and close the gap to less than 60K, then it will pretty much be a done deal. Though the idea of graduating with just 25K in debt is still temping and I haven't written it off yet.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:19 pm

Wow, thats awesome. You gonna take it? If not, withdraw so I can get a cut of that and hopefully get a chance to attend :)

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:22 pm

Jericwithers wrote:Ouch, I will now. It seems the weather isn't the only thing cold up in Ithaca.

No offense, but you've spent most of the last few pages whining about how you got less money than you felt you deserved, when a variety of people with pretty good numbers got no money at all.

CCoolidge

Postby CCoolidge » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:33 pm

Is anyone else getting spammed (more than 1) by emails from the admissions office to update name and address? This is my fourth time doing it.

sjsteece

Postby sjsteece » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:17 am

There must be some sort of glitch in their system. That happened to me earlier in the year. I called and they just said do it once and you should be fine.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:10 pm

I know I said I would leave here, but there are probably 2 more posts I will make that might be relevant to others.

Cornell does seem to be receptive to scholarship negotiations, but they require you to scan or mail the award letters from other schools. I will let people know how this works for me.

Also, what does this part of the financial aid award letter mean:
Please note that scholarship awards are given with the understanding that there is a moral obligation to repay the Law School if further financial circumstances permit repayment.

If I land a high paying job, they will try to get me to repay the scholarship? Or does that mean if I hit the lottery they will expect me to repay them out of the goodness of my heart, but there is no binding contract that I must pay? I found this to be a very odd language in a scholarship letter, and just wanted to see what others thought.

como

Postby como » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:46 pm

Jericwithers wrote:I know I said I would leave here, but there are probably 2 more posts I will make that might be relevant to others.

Cornell does seem to be receptive to scholarship negotiations, but they require you to scan or mail the award letters from other schools. I will let people know how this works for me.

Please note that scholarship awards are given with the understanding that there is a moral obligation to repay the Law School if further financial circumstances permit repayment.

If I land a high paying job, they will try to get me to repay the scholarship? Or does that mean if I hit the lottery they will expect me to repay them out of the goodness of my heart, but there is no binding contract that I must pay? I found this to be a very odd language in a scholarship letter, and just wanted to see what others thought.

Moral obligations mean quite little in the law. It means they will have fundraising people hound you incessantly until you take out your checkbook.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:48 pm

como wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:I know I said I would leave here, but there are probably 2 more posts I will make that might be relevant to others.

Moral obligations mean quite little in the law. It means they will have fundraising people hound you incessantly until you take out your checkbook.

Lol, at least they are upfront about it. I find that a very off putting thing to put in a scholarship letter though. I'll just aim for my financial situation to never improve so I will have no obligation to repay.

alexyoshi

Postby alexyoshi » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:28 pm

i LOL'd when i read that.

fsohn

Postby fsohn » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:36 pm

One must wonder about the morals of a school that charges $51,000 in tuition. . . .

unknownscholar

Postby unknownscholar » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:30 pm

sorry to impose on the incoming class (I haven't been accepted yet), but I have some questions about a couple of contacts at cornell who I've been indirectly referred to. I figure since you all were accepted, you've probably been in contact with several folks. shoot me a pm if you have some free time. thanks and good luck to you this fall! :)

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:17 pm

Going to hand in my seat deposit at brunch tomorrow and then it will be official. See everyone next fall in Ithaca.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:21 pm

cicely101 wrote:I think I'll be Hughesing it up this fall!!! Who's with me?!

After the tour today i am definitely rethinking the whole Hughes thing. Something just seems off about it, and it does help that it looks like a carbon copy of my old barracks.

Btw I think we had lunch together today.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”