Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
matt386
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby matt386 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:14 pm

vexion wrote:
Devila_C wrote:I'm guessing we have some pre-class reading assignments. Any idea when we get those assignments?

http://blackboard.cornell.edu. If you have any assignments, there will be a notification on the front page.



You will have assignments to read for the first class in every course. They won't necessarily all be on the blackboard page. Some professors don't use blackboard at all actually. You'll receive an email linking you to CLS's "Scoops" newsletter, with the first issue of it this fall semester including the first class reading assignments.

User avatar
Ronaldo
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:21 pm

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby Ronaldo » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:45 pm

What section is 'Professor Mooney' for Lawyering?

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby CyLaw » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Ronaldo wrote:What section is 'Professor Mooney' for Lawyering?


D.

Edit: Found by looking up Mooney on the Fall Term schedule.

User avatar
Ronaldo
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:21 pm

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby Ronaldo » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:01 pm

CyLaw wrote:
Ronaldo wrote:What section is 'Professor Mooney' for Lawyering?


D.

Edit: Found by looking up Mooney on the Fall Term schedule.



Got it, Thanks!

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby calicocat » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:05 pm

jks289 wrote:
CCoolidge wrote:This thread would be lost without cylaw


Without CyLaw we would all just be wandering aimlessly around the commons come August 23rd.

I don't need CyLaw

*looks cool*

User avatar
vexion
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:29 am

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby vexion » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:15 pm

So I mentioned this a couple months ago, but if anyone's up for it, and not bogged down with AOP, I'm thinking we should make a trip to NYC before orientation starts, and it's non-stop studying for the next three years. I haven't been since I was 10, but I'd love to go, see all the sights, have a little fun, party it up. I know this excludes the Hughes people, and that's a shame, but the couple of you who are already in NYC that weekend should definitely come hang out.

The Plan

We drive down from Ithaca on Thursday the 19th, stay three nights, and drive back Sunday the 22nd. I volunteer my truck, I can take four people. A lot of Cornellians take one of the two bus services (Campus-to-Campus Executive Coach Service or Shortline Bus) which run daily between Ithaca and NYC. Unfortunately, round-trip tickets run around $80, and you're forced to adhere to bus schedules. I figure my truck gets 15-16 MPG on the interstate (yeah, the environment can take one for the team), it's a 225-mile drive, so round-trip we'll burn about 30 gallons of gas. At an average New York gas price of $2.86/gal, and five people in the truck, that's only $17.16 per person for the round trip.

The trick is lodging. I've always booked hotels online, and find it's cheapest if you book the day before (snagging the unsold rooms and all that.) Hotel prices vary wildly across the city, but it's not cheap... looks like about $175/night. I'll sleep in the bathtub with a pillow and a comforter, I'm not picky. If we split a room between four people, lodging for three nights would be (conservatively, with tax and fees) about $120/person.

Finally, parking. I haven't looked really closely, but there are a number of lots (Central Parking System lots and the like) around the city that offer 24-hour parking. Most seem to be about $25-30 a day. Three days, between five people, that's $15-18.

SO:

Gas -- $17.16/person, or cheaper if we take a more fuel-efficient vehicle
Lodging -- Maybe $120/person
Parking -- $18
Total == $155.16/person, plus incidentals (lots of alcohol?)

tl;dr come to New York City from the 19th to the 22nd. It'll be a (relatively) cheap trip, a great way to make nice with your new law school friends, and a hell of a lot of fun. Please RSVP or whatever.

User avatar
goodliuchuan
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:41 am

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby goodliuchuan » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:40 pm

just spent the entire afternoon reading this thread...can't believe how i survived the life with access to TLS blocked for the past four months.

little bit about myself: from Beijing, spent four years in Canada, and settled in at Ithaca about 16 hours ago. stealing internet from my neighbor, and found im in section C.

for anyone who want to buy textbooks in advance, you could ship them to my address and i'll give them to you when you arrive at Ithaca. PM me for the address.

User avatar
vexion
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:29 am

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby vexion » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:47 pm

goodliuchuan wrote:just spent the entire afternoon reading this thread...can't believe how i survived the life with access to TLS blocked for the past four months.

little bit about myself: from Beijing, spent four years in Canada, and settled in at Ithaca about 16 hours ago. stealing internet from my neighbor, and found im in section C.

for anyone who want to buy textbooks in advance, you could ship them to my address and i'll give them to you when you arrive at Ithaca. PM me for the address.

Welcome! Great to have you! Why was TLS blocked for four months?

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby calicocat » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:53 pm

vexion wrote:
goodliuchuan wrote:just spent the entire afternoon reading this thread...can't believe how i survived the life with access to TLS blocked for the past four months.

little bit about myself: from Beijing, spent four years in Canada, and settled in at Ithaca about 16 hours ago. stealing internet from my neighbor, and found im in section C.

for anyone who want to buy textbooks in advance, you could ship them to my address and i'll give them to you when you arrive at Ithaca. PM me for the address.

Welcome! Great to have you! Why was TLS blocked for four months?

Same question, I just had a panic attack thinking about it.

User avatar
danidancer
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:46 pm

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby danidancer » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:03 pm

Vex: I can't sign on for the drive/hotel, but there's a good chance I'll overlap with your NYC trip by at least a day or 2, and if so, I'm DEF down for some drinking. Coming off of 7 years in the city, I'm happy to give bar recommendations. Also, for cheap accommodations, you guys should look into staying at the Union Theological Seminary. It's right near Columbia, so slightly inconvenient, but clean and cheap. And a bonus, if you're staying up there, you should be able to find street parking for free...

ETA: If only my lease hadn't ended July 31, y'all could have crashed w/ me!

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby calicocat » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:10 pm

danidancer wrote:Vex: I can't sign on for the drive/hotel, but there's a good chance I'll overlap with your NYC trip by at least a day or 2, and if so, I'm DEF down for some drinking. Coming off of 7 years in the city, I'm happy to give bar recommendations. Also, for cheap accommodations, you guys should look into staying at the Union Theological Seminary. It's right near Columbia, so slightly inconvenient, but clean and cheap. And a bonus, if you're staying up there, you should be able to find street parking for free...

ETA: If only my lease hadn't ended July 31, y'all could have crashed w/ me!

You guys will overlap with me too. I'll be in the city till the 21st :D

User avatar
goodliuchuan
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:41 am

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby goodliuchuan » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:14 pm

vexion wrote:
goodliuchuan wrote:just spent the entire afternoon reading this thread...can't believe how i survived the life with access to TLS blocked for the past four months.

little bit about myself: from Beijing, spent four years in Canada, and settled in at Ithaca about 16 hours ago. stealing internet from my neighbor, and found im in section C.

for anyone who want to buy textbooks in advance, you could ship them to my address and i'll give them to you when you arrive at Ithaca. PM me for the address.

Welcome! Great to have you! Why was TLS blocked for four months?


Thanks~ i was in china doing some kinda research, and im pretty sure TLS was blocked by the "great firewall"...so were the Cmail and the Netpay website...

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby CyLaw » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:18 pm

goodliuchuan wrote:
vexion wrote:
goodliuchuan wrote:just spent the entire afternoon reading this thread...can't believe how i survived the life with access to TLS blocked for the past four months.

little bit about myself: from Beijing, spent four years in Canada, and settled in at Ithaca about 16 hours ago. stealing internet from my neighbor, and found im in section C.

for anyone who want to buy textbooks in advance, you could ship them to my address and i'll give them to you when you arrive at Ithaca. PM me for the address.

Welcome! Great to have you! Why was TLS blocked for four months?


Thanks~ i was in china doing some kinda research, and im pretty sure TLS was blocked by the "great firewall"...so were the Cmail and the Netpay website...


I hope you have been able to get everything sorted out now. I'm really interested in digital rights issues, and would love to talk with you about your experiences while in China re: the firewall and information blackouts. Look forward to seeing you in class (I'm also in section C).

User avatar
goodliuchuan
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:41 am

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby goodliuchuan » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:20 pm

calicocat wrote:
vexion wrote:
goodliuchuan wrote:just spent the entire afternoon reading this thread...can't believe how i survived the life with access to TLS blocked for the past four months.

little bit about myself: from Beijing, spent four years in Canada, and settled in at Ithaca about 16 hours ago. stealing internet from my neighbor, and found im in section C.

for anyone who want to buy textbooks in advance, you could ship them to my address and i'll give them to you when you arrive at Ithaca. PM me for the address.

Welcome! Great to have you! Why was TLS blocked for four months?

Same question, I just had a panic attack thinking about it.


im pretty sure it was blocked by the "great firewall"...it just gave me "this page cannot be displayed" for four months.. :roll:

User avatar
goodliuchuan
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:41 am

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby goodliuchuan » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:27 pm

CyLaw wrote:
goodliuchuan wrote:
vexion wrote:
goodliuchuan wrote:just spent the entire afternoon reading this thread...can't believe how i survived the life with access to TLS blocked for the past four months.

little bit about myself: from Beijing, spent four years in Canada, and settled in at Ithaca about 16 hours ago. stealing internet from my neighbor, and found im in section C.

for anyone who want to buy textbooks in advance, you could ship them to my address and i'll give them to you when you arrive at Ithaca. PM me for the address.

Welcome! Great to have you! Why was TLS blocked for four months?


Thanks~ i was in china doing some kinda research, and im pretty sure TLS was blocked by the "great firewall"...so were the Cmail and the Netpay website...


I hope you have been able to get everything sorted out now. I'm really interested in digital rights issues, and would love to talk with you about your experiences while in China re: the firewall and information blackouts. Look forward to seeing you in class (I'm also in section C).


i was able to forward everything sent to the cornell email to my hotmail, so i havent missed anything important. im now just trying to have my own internet installed, but it wont happen until next tuesday :shock: love to share the experience~ just realized only a few of us are in section C now

User avatar
vexion
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:29 am

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby vexion » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:40 pm

goodliuchuan wrote:i was able to forward everything sent to the cornell email to my hotmail, so i havent missed anything important. im now just trying to have my own internet installed, but it wont happen until next tuesday :shock: love to share the experience~ just realized only a few of us are in section C now

Well, if you haven't already, be sure to read all of Scribe's "Collected Wisdom on Success in Law School" (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=123092). Most of those threads and articles have been up longer than four months, but the list of them is nice.

User avatar
goodliuchuan
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:41 am

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby goodliuchuan » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:55 pm

vexion wrote:
goodliuchuan wrote:i was able to forward everything sent to the cornell email to my hotmail, so i havent missed anything important. im now just trying to have my own internet installed, but it wont happen until next tuesday :shock: love to share the experience~ just realized only a few of us are in section C now

Well, if you haven't already, be sure to read all of Scribe's "Collected Wisdom on Success in Law School" (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=123092). Most of those threads and articles have been up longer than four months, but the list of them is nice.


thanks, vexion. gonna read them before school starts! :D

sjsteece
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:21 pm

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby sjsteece » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:46 pm

I'll be going on the NYC trip as well so if vex's car fills up, I can fit two more of you in mine.

User avatar
sunshinefairy
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:47 pm

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby sunshinefairy » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:04 pm

ITHACA IS THE BEST CITY IN NY!!!!!!! PM me for details! Ithaca is Gorges!

User avatar
afghan007
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:15 pm

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby afghan007 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:05 pm

sunshinefairy wrote:ITHACA IS THE BEST CITY IN NY!!!!!!! PM me for details! Ithaca is Gorges!


secret's out my friend

User avatar
vexion
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:29 am

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby vexion » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:05 pm

sunshinefairy wrote:ITHACA IS THE BEST CITY IN NY!!!!!!! PM me for details! Ithaca is Gorges!

Are you a spambot?

acdisagod
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:46 pm

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby acdisagod » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:27 pm

vexion wrote:So I mentioned this a couple months ago, but if anyone's up for it, and not bogged down with AOP, I'm thinking we should make a trip to NYC before orientation starts, and it's non-stop studying for the next three years. I haven't been since I was 10, but I'd love to go, see all the sights, have a little fun, party it up. I know this excludes the Hughes people, and that's a shame, but the couple of you who are already in NYC that weekend should definitely come hang out.

The Plan

We drive down from Ithaca on Thursday the 19th, stay three nights, and drive back Sunday the 22nd. I volunteer my truck, I can take four people. A lot of Cornellians take one of the two bus services (Campus-to-Campus Executive Coach Service or Shortline Bus) which run daily between Ithaca and NYC. Unfortunately, round-trip tickets run around $80, and you're forced to adhere to bus schedules. I figure my truck gets 15-16 MPG on the interstate (yeah, the environment can take one for the team), it's a 225-mile drive, so round-trip we'll burn about 30 gallons of gas. At an average New York gas price of $2.86/gal, and five people in the truck, that's only $17.16 per person for the round trip.

The trick is lodging. I've always booked hotels online, and find it's cheapest if you book the day before (snagging the unsold rooms and all that.) Hotel prices vary wildly across the city, but it's not cheap... looks like about $175/night. I'll sleep in the bathtub with a pillow and a comforter, I'm not picky. If we split a room between four people, lodging for three nights would be (conservatively, with tax and fees) about $120/person.

Finally, parking. I haven't looked really closely, but there are a number of lots (Central Parking System lots and the like) around the city that offer 24-hour parking. Most seem to be about $25-30 a day. Three days, between five people, that's $15-18.

SO:

Gas -- $17.16/person, or cheaper if we take a more fuel-efficient vehicle
Lodging -- Maybe $120/person
Parking -- $18
Total == $155.16/person, plus incidentals (lots of alcohol?)

tl;dr come to New York City from the 19th to the 22nd. It'll be a (relatively) cheap trip, a great way to make nice with your new law school friends, and a hell of a lot of fun. Please RSVP or whatever.


I live in NYC and I won't be leaving for Cornell until the 22nd so count me in.

User avatar
vexion
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:29 am

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby vexion » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:10 am

For those who chimed in with "What the f is Blackboard," the Registrar's site has a link to the Powerpoint on Blackboard they're going to show at orientation.

https://support.law.cornell.edu/student ... kBoard.pdf

I also found backlogged editions of Scoops, the Cornell Law newsletter thing. Here's (LinkRemoved) the one from the first week of classes Fall '09 (the special "Assignments Issue.") We're going to get this right before orientation, and it's going to have all our first-day-of-class assignments.

And here's Cornell's online practice exam bank. How cool is this internet thing, m i rite?

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby calicocat » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:36 am

vexion wrote:For those who chimed in with "What the f is Blackboard," the Registrar's site has a link to the Powerpoint on Blackboard they're going to show at orientation.

https://support.law.cornell.edu/student ... kBoard.pdf

I also found backlogged editions of Scoops, the Cornell Law newsletter thing. Here's (LinkRemoved) the one from the first week of classes Fall '09 (the special "Assignments Issue.") We're going to get this right before orientation, and it's going to have all our first-day-of-class assignments.

And here's Cornell's online practice exam bank. How cool is this internet thing, m i rite?

Thanks :D

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby CyLaw » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:15 am

vexion wrote:For those who chimed in with "What the f is Blackboard," the Registrar's site has a link to the Powerpoint on Blackboard they're going to show at orientation.

https://support.law.cornell.edu/student ... kBoard.pdf

I also found backlogged editions of Scoops, the Cornell Law newsletter thing. Here's (LinkRemoved) the one from the first week of classes Fall '09 (the special "Assignments Issue.") We're going to get this right before orientation, and it's going to have all our first-day-of-class assignments.

And here's Cornell's online practice exam bank. How cool is this internet thing, m i rite?


I see you are adopting my exam strategy.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest