Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)

Postby 02122015 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:28 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adrian_8am

Re: Cornell 2013

Postby Adrian_8am » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:06 am

Accepted via email...

I am between Cornell and University of Arizona...

I live in Az, and will pay in state tuiton of around 20k a year, and cornell would be 50k a year... plus I wont pay rent in Az either.

Is it worth going in debt for Cornell over Arizona...

I would be willing to work and live outside Az, if its better for my career..

Thanks!

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:10 am

Adrian_8am wrote:Accepted via email...

I am between Cornell and University of Arizona...

I live in Az, and will pay in state tuiton of around 20k a year, and cornell would be 50k a year... plus I wont pay rent in Az either.

Is it worth going in debt for Cornell over Arizona...

I would be willing to work and live outside Az, if its better for my career..

Thanks!

I would probably only go to Arizona if I knew that I only wanted to work there. And even in that case a good argument could be made for still picking Cornell.

Adrian_8am

Postby Adrian_8am » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:31 am

Even if I will pay significantly higher tuition?

I am leaning Cornell but I just want to make sure it will be worth the debt...

Thanks again

sheltron5000

Postby sheltron5000 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:01 am

Adrian_8am wrote:Even if I will pay significantly higher tuition?

I am leaning Cornell but I just want to make sure it will be worth the debt...

Thanks again

The way I see it there's only two reasons to choose a lower ranked school like Arizona over Cornell: (1) you have to stay in Arizona for personal reasons (Family, etc.), or (2) Arizona will be free, and you want to do public interest work in the southwest. Cornell has a great loan repayment program for people who decide to do public interest work, and otherwise, the career opportunities are significantly better.

Unless you have a good reason, Cornell is the safer choice, even with the higher tuition costs.

Adrian_8am

Postby Adrian_8am » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:32 am

Thank you, I appreciate it... Regarding student loans, I will be paying all my costs with loans, is it almost for certainty that Cornell will grant me enough money to pay all of the tuition?... I have good credit but I just want to make sure before I withdraw from other schools. I already submitted a deposit for a school and I would like to withdraw but I first want to make sure i will be granted enough loans or aid to pay for Cornell... Could you please share some insight on how all this process usually work, I really appreciate the advice!

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:43 am

Adrian_8am wrote:Thank you, I appreciate it... Regarding student loans, I will be paying all my costs with loans, is it almost for certainty that Cornell will grant me enough money to pay all of the tuition?... I have good credit but I just want to make sure before I withdraw from other schools. I already submitted a deposit for a school and I would like to withdraw but I first want to make sure i will be granted enough loans or aid to pay for Cornell... Could you please share some insight on how all this process usually work, I really appreciate the advice!

Yes. You should be all set. The government will loan you all the money you need, up to the complete cost of attenance, unless there is some rather large problem with your credit (a bankrupcy, being currently 3 months late with any payment, etc.).

Adrian_8am

Postby Adrian_8am » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:49 am

And when will I know for sure, I am just worried because I submitted both of the deposits for another school, does that matter?... When do u recommend of withdrawing for the other school?

Adrian_8am

Postby Adrian_8am » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:50 am

From the other school *

como

Postby como » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:08 am

@ Adrian: do you want to practice in AZ? If so, you might want to go with the regional school. If you want to have a decent 'shot' at biglaw in NY (or maybe even in TX or CA, depending on any connections you may have), you might want to take Cornell at the higher price.

Whatever you do, don't underestimate the amount of debt that you will be in, and the state of the market. $160K salaries are much harder to get, even out of Cornell. It may be advantageous to go with the cheaper school; however, you will probably be shut out of anything outside of the local market (in this case, AZ).

If you want the sheer possibility of opportunities in the more 'elite' firms and agencies, then you would have to go with Cornell. If you want to work in AZ, go to school there.

Ganbaru

Postby Ganbaru » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:45 pm

Adrian -- I also debated between UofA (free) and Cornell (definitely not).

Some things to consider:
* What type of student do you want to be? At U of A, you will have to work hard to keep yourself in the top 10-20% in order to get yourself a firm job in Arizona (unless you are connected to a firm). I knew I am not the world's most avid studier, hit right near the median at Cornell doing a normal amount of work, and have secured a firm job in Phoenix for the summer. However, I'm of the opinion (it could be wrong) that if you are smart enough to get in to Cornell you are probably smart enough to do well at UofA without an extraordinary amount of work, although you will have to work a little harder than at Cornell.
* Where do you want to work after you graduate? Again, like my study habits, I felt the same about the amount of time I want to invest in work. I realize that I will have to work hard at a firm anywhere, but 50 hour weeks in Phoenix beats 80 hour weeks in NY. I enjoy my time. If you enjoy prestige, a prestigious NYC firm will certainly allow you to boast a powerhouse career with a small chance of making a big name for yourself, but a good AZ firm will allow you to make a name for yourself locally a little easier because the market is smaller.
* What do you want to do long term? Big city firms are usually going to turn you into a very specialized lawyer in a very small topic of law. If you are going to Cornell, that is your likely the course unless you are looking for a good public interest career. If you are looking for a federal public interest career, I would do Cornell if you will take out debt because of the repayment programs; but UofA will provide good state options. If you want to do corporate counsel at some point, Cornell can be a good name to back it, but so can contacts that can be created by working in AZ and effectively networking through law school.
* How's the climate? If you can handle AZ summers, you can handle Ithaca winters. It's pretty much the same, except reverse. Whereas we are typically inside during the summers, you will spend time inside in Ithaca winters. I actually think the winters are a little easier because you can always layer up to stay warm (although I like to exercise a lot and that also tends to keep my body warmer and resistant to cold). One bad part: if you go back to Phoenix for the summer, you hit the worst of both worlds. One good part: Going home for a month to Phoenix during winter break is an amazing way to break the long winter.

If you want to chat with someone, shoot me your e-mail and I will try to get back to you (I don't get on here much, though).

Everyone else:

I live in a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom in downtown, but my roommate will be moving out next year. The building is green, 2 years old, and has modern everything (check out http://www.cayugaplaceapartments.com) . It is unfurnished, so you would have to provide your own bedroom furniture, and we would have to figure out logistics with the rest since my roommate will take some of the living room furniture. I will be away for the first semester, and in my stead you would be living with a really cool phd government student. Rent for the entire place is around $1300 (around 700 for master/600 for bedroom with guest bath). It is at the Green street bus station which has buses running at minimum every 30 minutes and every 15 minutes during peak times (you have free bus service as a first year student, and ~$200 for a year pass the next years). It takes me about 10 minutes door to door from my place to the law school, and in the winter this means about 2 minutes spent outdoors. They are likely the nicest apartments to live in in Ithaca, and inexpensive to boot. Furthermore, if you continued to live in the apartment after I left at the end of next year, you should be able to retain the lowered rent renewal rate (the rent has stayed reduced for long-term tenants) for your 3 years. Shoot me a message for more details or to converse about it.

AdmitMe17

Postby AdmitMe17 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:45 pm

I was wondering if any of you who currently live in Ithaca could give a couple of names of apartments that are most popular among 1Ls or other law students? There are so many options so I was wondering if you had any recommendations for your first year?

Thanks!

TopLaw_Diva

Postby TopLaw_Diva » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:10 pm

I'm in charge of events for Cornell's Black Law Students Association (BLSA) for the upcoming Admitted Students Diversity Weekend (April 8 -11). Travel Subsidies are provided! I encourage everyone to attend. Please PM me if you plan on attending (you've probably already gotten emails from me) or if you're thinking about attending. :D Good times are in store!

panda

Postby panda » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:50 pm

AdmitMe17 wrote:I was wondering if any of you who currently live in Ithaca could give a couple of names of apartments that are most popular among 1Ls or other law students? There are so many options so I was wondering if you had any recommendations for your first year?

Thanks!

There are no places that are necessarily popular amongst the law students. They are pretty much in Hughes, or spread around Collegetown, and the Commons. Some also live up near North Campus, but I don't think that is common, because it's kind of far.. The majority are definitely in or near Collegetown.

For housing options, I found this site really helpful. It has most if not all the info you need, and somewhere on there are listings with numbers, of all the different companies that offer off-campus housing.

sheltron5000

Postby sheltron5000 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:15 pm

just my 2 cents: I found all the places I actually considered renting on craigslist. feel free to ask if you have any questions about where stuff is.

vexion

Postby vexion » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:00 pm

AdmitMe17 wrote:I was wondering if any of you who currently live in Ithaca could give a couple of names of apartments that are most popular among 1Ls or other law students? There are so many options so I was wondering if you had any recommendations for your first year?

Thanks!

As previous users have said, Cornell's OCHO site and the Ithaca Craigslist are actually very helpful. The OCHO has a searchable listing database.

I went to the March 5th ASD and spent all day March 6th apartment-hunting, and ended up signing a lease on a place I found listed on both Craigslist and OCHO. As far as recommendations from current students, they had us paired with 1Ls-3Ls all day long (as tour guides, in a student panel, and at lunch and dinner) and this was my #1 question for them. Almost universally they all recommended the Novarr-Mackesey complexes (http://www.ithacastudentapartments.com/). It seemed a number of them lived there and they all knew each other. Of course, it could be that only a certain core group of friends had volunteered together to help at ASD. You never know.

Anyway, this Novarr-Mackesey company owns a number of large complexes about a 20 minute walk (uphill...) to the law school. However, they run a shuttle every fifteen minutes in the mornings. What all the current students told me was that they just "catch the bus" in the mornings and walk back in the afternoon, after the shuttle has stopped running. The leasing office wasn't open on Saturday when we were apartment-hunting, but we dropped by and cold-called on a current resident to check out the interior (shady? Maybe....) They were very nice, and from what every current resident told us, maintenance calls are answered within the day, and the staff are very friendly and accomodating. Rents were competitive, but could stand to be lower for how far from class they are.

That's just my two cents. Literally all but like one student that I asked lived in one of these properties.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:47 pm

I'm thinkin of living in Hughes Hall. Current student input? or people that went to ASW.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:01 pm

calicocat wrote:I'm thinkin of living in Hughes Hall. Current student input? or people that went to ASW.

Dont.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:48 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
calicocat wrote:I'm thinkin of living in Hughes Hall. Current student input? or people that went to ASW.

Dont.

Don't be an ass Jeric. Explain your reasoning.

;)

edit: checked PM's

*feels like a bitch*

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:58 pm

calicocat wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

Dont.

Don't be an ass Jeric. Explain your reasoning.

;)

edit: checked PM's

*feels like a bitch*

It's ok. I was going to edit my post with my reasoning but I figured you had already read my 'ass-like' comment and moved on.

cicely101

Postby cicely101 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:29 am

Calicocat, would you mind pming me that pm because I too am considering living in Hughes!

vexion

Postby vexion » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:13 am

Has anyone heard anything back re: financial aid? I know the application deadline was just 9 days ago but I'm getting antsy.

sjsteece

Postby sjsteece » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:06 pm

vexion wrote:Has anyone heard anything back re: financial aid? I know the application deadline was just 9 days ago but I'm getting antsy.

Nothing yet. It is getting slightly ridiculous. Offers went out during the first week of March last year. Karla left though so I'm sure they have had to get used to some changes and the sheer amount of files to go through this year probably doesn't help. Any time I start feeling impatient I just check out the EA deferred thread and then realize I have comparatively little to complain about. Hopefully we'll hear back soon!

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:22 pm

cicely101 wrote:Calicocat, would you mind pming me that pm because I too am considering living in Hughes!

Me:
Dont.

It wasn't very nice, I took the tour at the ASD. It is a bit expensive, and very hot. I also think forcing yourself to go outside more in the commute to and from class is healthy. Also you have to deal with people waking up at up 2am to ask you stuff about school. There are only 2 washers & dryers and one kitchen for the 40 people. Take a tour though and make you're own decision.

CalicoCat:
honestly I was thinking of getting a meal plan

I cannot cook to save my life

thanks for the input!

Me:

The cafeteria in Hughes is like pay per item stuff, but I heard the actual food halls aren't that bad. I have just gotten too use to apartment living to go back to a dorm. It has a kind of 'yuck' sense to it and after 5 minutes I wanted to leave (and that was after spending my time in a hotel room that was smaller than many bathrooms). Try and arrange a tour; I'm sure someone from Cornell would give you a one-on-one tour. The weather was nice when I was there, so if I had been there during true winter and had to climb those monstrous hills I would probably find the comfort of living literally within the law school more appealing.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:24 pm

lol Jericwithers way to out me for not being able to cook :P

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”