Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
alexyoshi
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:34 pm

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby alexyoshi » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:20 pm

it came in the mail separately as a letter.

turkishangora
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby turkishangora » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:02 pm

jks289 wrote:
alexyoshi wrote:anyone dropping the $102 on the elective tuition refund plan?

coverage does NOT include: war or act of war, declared or undeclared; participation in a riot; terrorism; nuclear reaction, nuclear radiation OR radioactive contamination... lol


I'm going to do it. People get sick and in accidents all the time. $100 bucks is nothing compared to what you are insuring. It will be tough to cut down on my riot participation though...


i was thinking the same; glad someone agrees.

brttanydanielle
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 11:27 pm

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby brttanydanielle » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:21 am

Anyone from Dallas going to Cornell Law? E-mail me if you are!! brttanydanielle@gmail.com

Devila_C
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 5:57 pm

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby Devila_C » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:31 am

Anyone moving from Chicago to Ithaca?

Also - I'm looking for a place to stay between 8/15 - 8/23 (trying to attend AOP). Anyone have an open room or place I can stay at temporarily?

Thanks :D

User avatar
klk
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:08 am

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby klk » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:17 am

So it seems inevitable that we're going to have to buy Clermont's Civil Procedure Stories... I'm toying with getting the Kindle version for my PC since it's cheaper and just using that for the semester. Thoughts, perhaps from some of the 2Ls lurking around, about that?

User avatar
legallybrunette16
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby legallybrunette16 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:09 am

klk wrote:So it seems inevitable that we're going to have to buy Clermont's Civil Procedure Stories... I'm toying with getting the Kindle version for my PC since it's cheaper and just using that for the semester. Thoughts, perhaps from some of the 2Ls lurking around, about that?


what makes you think it is inevitable? do you have insider information?!?! haha

User avatar
holybartender
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:06 pm

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby holybartender » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:32 am

legallybrunette16 wrote:
klk wrote:So it seems inevitable that we're going to have to buy Clermont's Civil Procedure Stories... I'm toying with getting the Kindle version for my PC since it's cheaper and just using that for the semester. Thoughts, perhaps from some of the 2Ls lurking around, about that?


what makes you think it is inevitable? do you have insider information?!?! haha


Well, he's the guy who teaches CivPro so it stands to reason his supplement would be more on point than anyone else's. Or so I would assume.

User avatar
mbw
Posts: 343
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:56 pm

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby mbw » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:53 am

klk wrote:So it seems inevitable that we're going to have to buy Clermont's Civil Procedure Stories... I'm toying with getting the Kindle version for my PC since it's cheaper and just using that for the semester. Thoughts, perhaps from some of the 2Ls lurking around, about that?


If you have him first semester, you only read two or three of the stories... I think they read more second semester. I would pick up a copy from a 2 or 3L, rather than buy it new or for kindle (and you can't bring your kindle to the exam -- which is limited open book.)

User avatar
matt386
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby matt386 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:50 am

mbw wrote:
klk wrote:So it seems inevitable that we're going to have to buy Clermont's Civil Procedure Stories... I'm toying with getting the Kindle version for my PC since it's cheaper and just using that for the semester. Thoughts, perhaps from some of the 2Ls lurking around, about that?


If you have him first semester, you only read two or three of the stories... I think they read more second semester. I would pick up a copy from a 2 or 3L, rather than buy it new or for kindle (and you can't bring your kindle to the exam -- which is limited open book.)


You will need it, and you definitely should take it to your final exam. But it'll be cheaper to purchase from 2L's who will be looking to unload them at the book fair or earlier even.

User avatar
como
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby como » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:20 am

matt386 wrote:
mbw wrote:
klk wrote:So it seems inevitable that we're going to have to buy Clermont's Civil Procedure Stories... I'm toying with getting the Kindle version for my PC since it's cheaper and just using that for the semester. Thoughts, perhaps from some of the 2Ls lurking around, about that?


If you have him first semester, you only read two or three of the stories... I think they read more second semester. I would pick up a copy from a 2 or 3L, rather than buy it new or for kindle (and you can't bring your kindle to the exam -- which is limited open book.)


You will need it, and you definitely should take it to your final exam. But it'll be cheaper to purchase from 2L's who will be looking to unload them at the book fair or earlier even.


Agreed. Sometimes he relies heavily on the stories when writing an exam; sometimes he doesn't. I know we only had 1 stories-based question on our fall semester exam. I heard that more questions implicated the stories on the spring semester exam.

Clermont has a reputation for devising extremely difficult multiple-choice exams. While I would study hard for them, I do not think they are unfair. Learn to love difficult exams too. That might mean getting a few more questions correct than the average student puts you in "A" territory.

Holden-Smith's civ pro exam, on the other hand, was a disaster of epic proportions. I would rather go through the writing competition twice than have to face that beast again.

User avatar
matt386
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby matt386 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:52 pm

como wrote:
matt386 wrote:
mbw wrote:
klk wrote:So it seems inevitable that we're going to have to buy Clermont's Civil Procedure Stories... I'm toying with getting the Kindle version for my PC since it's cheaper and just using that for the semester. Thoughts, perhaps from some of the 2Ls lurking around, about that?


If you have him first semester, you only read two or three of the stories... I think they read more second semester. I would pick up a copy from a 2 or 3L, rather than buy it new or for kindle (and you can't bring your kindle to the exam -- which is limited open book.)


You will need it, and you definitely should take it to your final exam. But it'll be cheaper to purchase from 2L's who will be looking to unload them at the book fair or earlier even.


Agreed. Sometimes he relies heavily on the stories when writing an exam; sometimes he doesn't. I know we only had 1 stories-based question on our fall semester exam. I heard that more questions implicated the stories on the spring semester exam.

Clermont has a reputation for devising extremely difficult multiple-choice exams. While I would study hard for them, I do not think they are unfair. Learn to love difficult exams too. That might mean getting a few more questions correct than the average student puts you in "A" territory.

Holden-Smith's civ pro exam, on the other hand, was a disaster of epic proportions. I would rather go through the writing competition twice than have to face that beast again.


In the spring, Clermont had 4 questions involving 3 out of the 6 different stories assigned to read that semester. They were all doable with quick thinking and on the spot "research" (more like skimming) into the stories themselves (each one is about 30 pages or so in the book), but they'd really be impossible without at the very least a copy of the book in your possession.

His MC was incredibly hard, but I thought ultimately pretty fair. Civ Pro, especially the 2nd semester, isn't meant to be easy in general.

User avatar
klk
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:08 am

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby klk » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:34 pm

Good to know, thanks for all the responses... paper copy it is. and I figure its inevitable since I'm pretty sure its required for both civ pro classes on the booklist. :-) but that's just me trying to get all this stuff for as cheap as possible...

User avatar
mbw
Posts: 343
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:56 pm

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby mbw » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:34 pm

como wrote:
matt386 wrote:
mbw wrote:
klk wrote:So it seems inevitable that we're going to have to buy Clermont's Civil Procedure Stories... I'm toying with getting the Kindle version for my PC since it's cheaper and just using that for the semester. Thoughts, perhaps from some of the 2Ls lurking around, about that?


If you have him first semester, you only read two or three of the stories... I think they read more second semester. I would pick up a copy from a 2 or 3L, rather than buy it new or for kindle (and you can't bring your kindle to the exam -- which is limited open book.)


You will need it, and you definitely should take it to your final exam. But it'll be cheaper to purchase from 2L's who will be looking to unload them at the book fair or earlier even.


Agreed. Sometimes he relies heavily on the stories when writing an exam; sometimes he doesn't. I know we only had 1 stories-based question on our fall semester exam. I heard that more questions implicated the stories on the spring semester exam.

Clermont has a reputation for devising extremely difficult multiple-choice exams. While I would study hard for them, I do not think they are unfair. Learn to love difficult exams too. That might mean getting a few more questions correct than the average student puts you in "A" territory.

Holden-Smith's civ pro exam, on the other hand, was a disaster of epic proportions. I would rather go through the writing competition twice than have to face that beast again.


See, this is where perception, and perhaps learning (testing?) styles comes into play: I bombed Clermont's exam, but did fine on Holden-Smith's. I found H-S's to be hard, but fair -- Clermont, with a quarter of the questions on the history of English Common Law, not so much (there, is that diplomatic enough?)

And who is the dinosaur? Are you another first-floorer?

Devila_C
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 5:57 pm

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby Devila_C » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:47 pm

What's the parking situation like in collegetown? specifically around 321 Dryden Rd? I'll be driving my car to Ithaca and need a parking spot.

fsohn
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:06 pm

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby fsohn » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:34 am

Devila_C wrote:What's the parking situation like in collegetown? specifically around 321 Dryden Rd? I'll be driving my car to Ithaca and need a parking spot.


321 Dryden is walkable to the law school. You can find parking spaces for rent in Collegetown starting near $700 and going up as high as you want to pay. PM me and I'll connect you with the company I rent my space from--I think they still have a couple of spots on Stewart Ave below the law school, but that might be a bit far from your apt.

User avatar
danidancer
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:46 pm

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby danidancer » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:29 am

fsohn wrote:
Devila_C wrote:What's the parking situation like in collegetown? specifically around 321 Dryden Rd? I'll be driving my car to Ithaca and need a parking spot.


321 Dryden is walkable to the law school. You can find parking spaces for rent in Collegetown starting near $700 and going up as high as you want to pay. PM me and I'll connect you with the company I rent my space from--I think they still have a couple of spots on Stewart Ave below the law school, but that might be a bit far from your apt.


Also, check out the Itahca Craigslist. I snagged a space near my apt. in Lower Collegetown earlier this summer through an ad on there...

User avatar
Ronaldo
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:21 pm

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby Ronaldo » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:02 pm

Are there any 2L's or 3L's out there that could tell us what are the recommended hornbooks for each
Class?

Patches
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:15 pm

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby Patches » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:37 pm

Hey 1Ls, if any of you are looking to get a mini-fridge for your dorm or apartment, let me know, since I have one sitting in Ithaca that I'd like to sell. I lived in Hughes last year and found it really convenient to have my own.

If you have any questions about Hughes, classes, or the school in general, feel free to send me a PM (I don't really check this forum) and ask away!

In response to Ronaldo's question, the recommended hornbook depends strictly on the professor, but in general Examples & Explanations are great for each subject.

fsohn
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:06 pm

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby fsohn » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:27 pm

Ronaldo wrote:Are there any 2L's or 3L's out there that could tell us what are the recommended hornbooks for each
Class?


Hillman's Contracts hornbook. Dressler's Understanding Criminal Law. I bought close to a dozen hornbooks 1L, and these were the only ones that were truly helpful.

User avatar
mbw
Posts: 343
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:56 pm

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby mbw » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:48 am

fsohn wrote:
Ronaldo wrote:Are there any 2L's or 3L's out there that could tell us what are the recommended hornbooks for each
Class?


Hillman's Contracts hornbook. Dressler's Understanding Criminal Law. I bought close to a dozen hornbooks 1L, and these were the only ones that were truly helpful.


Ditto on both these... also, I liked Chemerinsky for Con Law.

Jenaimarre
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:41 am

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby Jenaimarre » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:13 am

Ronaldo wrote:Are there any 2L's or 3L's out there that could tell us what are the recommended hornbooks for each
Class?


I want to chime in here and say don't necessarily fall into the Hornbook trap instantly. While they can be helpful I think for some specific issues you might be having, all of the As I earned this year were in classes I did not use a hornbook for, and all of my non-As (I prefer to call them non-As than their actual names) were in classes that I did use a hornbook for. There is something to be said for figuring it out on your own I think.

alexyoshi
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:34 pm

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby alexyoshi » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:49 pm

Thanks for the tips on hornbooks! Ordered Hillman, Dressler, and Chemerinsky. Just moved into my place in town and it's raining, a good omen to be sure... probably won't be here too long, but hopefully at least til late tomorrow or sometime Tuesday.

User avatar
sheltron5000
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby sheltron5000 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:15 am

Also know that there are copies of all the best hornbooks in the library, often on reserve. I only used chemerinsky for a few things, and it was always available.

Dressler and Hillman are must haves.

User avatar
vexion
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:29 am

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby vexion » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:40 pm

Trying to sign my Bursar Disclosure Statement online, and got another form to fill out first:

Cornell wrote:First Login (NetID)
Personal Information

Since this is the first time you are logging in to Forms with your NetID, you must complete this very short form. Your responses will be used to speed completion of other forms.


The page asks for my name, college, sex and DOB. But the "College" field doesn't contain Law or any grad school options. Anyone else have this issue? I'm considering just putting Arts & Sciences or something so it'll let me get past it.

User avatar
Big Tuna
Posts: 189
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:54 am

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby Big Tuna » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:50 pm

vexion wrote:Trying to sign my Bursar Disclosure Statement online, and got another form to fill out first:

Cornell wrote:First Login (NetID)
Personal Information

Since this is the first time you are logging in to Forms with your NetID, you must complete this very short form. Your responses will be used to speed completion of other forms.


The page asks for my name, college, sex and DOB. But the "College" field doesn't contain Law or any grad school options. Anyone else have this issue? I'm considering just putting Arts & Sciences or something so it'll let me get past it.

maybe you are in the undergrad section of the site and you should be in the grad student section?




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest