Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
calicocat

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Postby calicocat » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:57 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
calicocat wrote:
legallybrunette16 wrote:So, I'm in a little bit of a pickle... everything I want for my Hughes room is 40% off right now, but I can't start shipping to school for another few weeks. Would anyone with an apartment close to campus be willing to store a few boxes until I arrive? It would be greatly appreciated!!! :D

Do we know what's in the rooms?

i know what will be in the rooms:

(a) books
(b) booze
and eventually
(c) the tears of unfathomable sadness.(1)

(1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owzhYNcd4OM

stop projecting

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:30 pm

calicocat wrote:
let/them/eat/cake wrote:
calicocat wrote:
legallybrunette16 wrote:So, I'm in a little bit of a pickle... everything I want for my Hughes room is 40% off right now, but I can't start shipping to school for another few weeks. Would anyone with an apartment close to campus be willing to store a few boxes until I arrive? It would be greatly appreciated!!! :D

Do we know what's in the rooms?

i know what will be in the rooms:

(a) books
(b) booze
and eventually
(c) the tears of unfathomable sadness.(1)

(1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owzhYNcd4OM

stop projecting

I don't think l/t/e/c was projecting. That actually is my packing list.

Found this on Cornell Housing site
What exactly is provided in a room/apartment?

All single student rooms are furnished with an extra-long-size (80 inches/200 cm) single bed, dresser, night stand, desk, desk chair, desk lamp, bookshelf, wastebasket, window shades or drapes, mirror, and wall closet with shelves. All furnished)apartments come with living room furniture: couch, easy chair(s), end table(s), coffee table, desk with chair and lamp. Kitchens have all major appliances: stove/oven, refrigerator, sink. Furnished family apartments have a main bedroom with queen-size bed, dresser, night stand, and closet; an additional bedroom would contain an extra-long single bed, dresser, night stand, and a closet. There are a few unfurnished apartments in Hasbrouck for those people requesting
them.

What must I provide for myself in my room/apartment?

You may want to bring these following items from home or buy them upon arrival here:

Bed and bath linens, kitchen utensils and small appliances (depending upon whether you will be cooking for yourself in the kitchen(s) available or signing up for a Cornell Dining meal plan): pots, pans, dishes, silverware, toaster, microwave, coffee pot, etc.

Other appliances/equipment: computer, TV, stereo, iron, ironing board, hair dryer, etc.

What personal items will I want to bring or consider?

Clothing for all seasons and weather: sun, rain, snow, wind, etc.

Toiletries/personal hygiene items & equipment

Favorite foods or cooking ingredients

Entertainment equipment: TV, VCR, stereo, etc.

Recreational equipment: swim wear, hiking boots, running shoes, skis, golf clubs, ice skates, etc.

Study equipment: computer, extra lamp, dictionary, etc.

legallybrunette16

Postby legallybrunette16 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:05 pm

You may want to bring these following items from home or buy them upon arrival here:

Bed and bath linens, kitchen utensils and small appliances (depending upon whether you will be cooking for yourself in the kitchen(s) available or signing up for a Cornell Dining meal plan): pots, pans, dishes, silverware, toaster, microwave, coffee pot, etc.

Isn't there a kitchen in Hughes? Is it really completely empty?

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:12 pm

Thanks you guys, and I apologize l/t/e/c, your packing list seems right on target.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:22 pm

legallybrunette16 wrote:You may want to bring these following items from home or buy them upon arrival here:

Isn't there a kitchen in Hughes? Is it really completely empty?

They are likely referring to the graduate apartments in that sentence. There is stuff in the kitchen to share I think, but I would bring my own stuff that normally goes in the mouth (like utensils, cups, bowls, etc.)

Babushka9

Postby Babushka9 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:50 pm

anyone else still waiting for the orientation package? I haven't received anything yet =(

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:42 pm

Babushka9 wrote:anyone else still waiting for the orientation package? I haven't received anything yet =(

<-------------------------

Babushka9

Postby Babushka9 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:46 pm

calicocat wrote:
Babushka9 wrote:anyone else still waiting for the orientation package? I haven't received anything yet =(

<-------------------------

Haha ok thanks! Just seems like they sent out that email a long time ago already...

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:49 pm

It really isn't that interesting, it just has a schedule of events that someone posted a page or two ago. And the cornell law magazine.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:15 am

I don't feel like combing the thread, anyone around that can tell me where to find the Dean's cert? We have to send one in, right?

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:18 am

I think it's under admitted students -> reserving/deferring or something like that. And yeah you need to.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:20 am

holybartender wrote:I think it's under admitted students -> reserving/deferring or something like that. And yeah you need to.

Also, where did you send your final transcript? The to-do list says to send it to the grad office but I assume we just send it to the ls, right?

mec30

Postby mec30 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:55 am

I sent mine to the grad office because that's what my school auto populated when I selected Cornell. They're smart people, they can figure it out. But the law school would probably be best, IMHO.

mec30

Postby mec30 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:57 am

jks289 wrote:
mec30 wrote:
holybartender wrote:
CyLaw wrote:I'm just hoping Ithaca is not as bad as Iowa. Walking 10 mins outside in -40 or lower wind chill sucks.

After having been close to 100 most of the past week, it was like 70 this morning. I wore long pants. I love/hate LA.

It was crazy in sac, 100+ all weekend. I had to take a trip to the bay to cool off. It was crazy.

You're from Sac? Me too!! Well not since high school, but still.

Haha, small world. I'm actually from socal but I've been up in Sac working for the past year.

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:01 am

calicocat wrote:
holybartender wrote:I think it's under admitted students -> reserving/deferring or something like that. And yeah you need to.

Also, where did you send your final transcript? The to-do list says to send it to the grad office but I assume we just send it to the ls, right?

Sure. On this note, I assume we don't need to send in a 'final transcript' if we had already graduated at the time of application?

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:09 am

holybartender wrote:
calicocat wrote:

Sure. On this note, I assume we don't need to send in a 'final transcript' if we had already graduated at the time of application?

I searched and searched the law school site and never found anything specifying that we needed to send anything other than the dean's cert. I assumed "professional" students didn't need to sent the official transcript, since that to-do list is the only mention I saw of it (and they specify it's for "grad students only")...

legallybrunette16

Postby legallybrunette16 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:14 am

wait, wait, wait... I know we've gone over the dean's cert a million times... but for some reason, I did not think that every person had to turn it in. Am I completely off base??

Babushka9

Postby Babushka9 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:24 am

danidancer wrote:
holybartender wrote:
calicocat wrote:

I searched and searched the law school site and never found anything specifying that we needed to send anything other than the dean's cert. I assumed "professional" students didn't need to sent the official transcript, since that to-do list is the only mention I saw of it (and they specify it's for "grad students only")...

I remember there was a note in the initial admissions package that mentioned to send final transcripts to the law school directly.

mec30

Postby mec30 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:35 am

legallybrunette16 wrote:wait, wait, wait... I know we've gone over the dean's cert a million times... but for some reason, I did not think that every person had to turn it in. Am I completely off base??

I think all ABA accredited law schools need a dean's certification. Its an outdated thing that really only law schools ask for anymore. But if they haven't sent you an email, I wouldn't sweat it.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:49 am

legallybrunette16 wrote:wait, wait, wait... I know we've gone over the dean's cert a million times... but for some reason, I did not think that every person had to turn it in. Am I completely off base??

Only certain people have to turn it in for application. Everyone has to turn it in for matriculation.

vexion

Postby vexion » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:50 pm

Any of you LA people want to grab lunch or something next week? I'm going to be on Catalina Island from Sunday to Friday, but I'll probably spend some time in LA.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:08 pm

vexion wrote:Any of you LA people want to grab lunch or something next week? I'm going to be on Catalina Island from Sunday to Friday, but I'll probably spend some time in LA.

I can do anything after the 28th. Anyone else around?

Oberlion

Postby Oberlion » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:46 pm

This might not be new info for most of you, but according to the TCAT website, it takes 30+ minutes to get from Collegetown to Wegman's.

The Wegman's that's <2 miles away.

:shock:

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:48 pm

Oberlion wrote:This might not be new info for most of you, but according to the TCAT website, it takes 30+ minutes to get from Collegetown to Wegman's.

make friends with people who have cars.

/problem

acdisagod

Postby acdisagod » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:55 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
Oberlion wrote:This might not be new info for most of you, but according to the TCAT website, it takes 30+ minutes to get from Collegetown to Wegman's.

make friends with people who have cars.

/problem

Does anyone with a car want to be my friend?

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”