Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013) Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
mec30

Bronze

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Post by mec30 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:08 am

jks289 wrote:The uhaul is loaded up and first thing in the morning, I'm starting the 2,700 mile drive to Ithaca! Anyone else moving super early? (Technically, I'm just moving the furniture in and getting set up, then spending most of August back in CA)
I'll be doing the same thing mid August! I'm wondering whether I should just ship everything. Driving just seems like more of an adventure. Bay Area to Ithaca, woo woo!

legallybrunette16

Bronze

Post by legallybrunette16 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:29 am

mec30 wrote:
jks289 wrote:The uhaul is loaded up and first thing in the morning, I'm starting the 2,700 mile drive to Ithaca! Anyone else moving super early? (Technically, I'm just moving the furniture in and getting set up, then spending most of August back in CA)
I'll be doing the same thing mid August! I'm wondering whether I should just ship everything. Driving just seems like more of an adventure. Bay Area to Ithaca, woo woo!
wow, I can't even imagine that drive!!!!

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:13 am

paraducks wrote:
como wrote:
legallybrunette16 wrote:does anyone else think that only inviting minorities and LGBT students to a program that teaches you how to brief a case and prepares you for the Socratic method is a bit insulting? why do they assume we need the extra help, while white/straight students don't?
I believe it's actually not run "officially" by CLS but it is a program that got started a few years ago as a sort of "joint venture" of various CLS identity groups. Now it's just kind of a tradition. I wouldn't take too much issue with it either way. If you feel insulted, don't go. If you feel as though you're not included, just show up. I'm sure they would welcome you.

the academic orientation program is an "official" cls program, funded in full by the school, and run by faculty members as well as representatives from various student diversity groups.

as you will learn from almost any former participant (myself included), aop really doesn't provide participants with any academic advantage over non-participants. rather, aop was first created to establish a welcoming environment for minority students in what might otherwise have felt like a rather unwelcoming environment.

historically, the minorities represented at aop have been underrepresented at law schools across the country, and especially at schools like cornell. while it might seem a little strange now, imagine being one of only 2 or 3 african american students among a sea of wasps in the 1980's. aop aims to reduce feelings of isolation, by connecting minority students, and also to reduce feelings of being an "outsider," by allowing those students to arrive on campus and get settled in first.

in short, aop's goal is to lessen any psychological burden that often comes with being a minority student in higher education. the fact that, as a minority, you might not feel that burden is perhaps a testament to the effectiveness of such programs.

so, to participants who are insulted for being included, know that the law school does not think that you're stupid and need an academic "boost"; and to non-participants who feel that minority students are receiving an unfair advantage, consider that, on top of the general anxiety of starting law school that you'll feel, many aop participants will also face anxieties and insecurities to which, fortunately for you, you probably have never and will never relate.

hope that clears things up!
so it helped matters to bring the two or three black students in to the empty atrium and say, hey! minorities, meet the other ONE we have!

lol just pointing out the disconnect of that sentiment. generally i couldn't care less about this. although pointing it out does reinforce the reasons why they use "critical mass" type language in the SCOTUS affirmative action cases.

o shit, i just [link redacted] again. GD...

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:15 am

calicocat wrote:Exactly how much do you know about the incident, l/t/m/c?
:wink:
how you typed "m" for the third letter instead of "e" is beyond me. look down at your keyboard, they are SO far away. QWERTY FTW.

EDIT: also, will provide alibis upon request.

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:37 am

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
calicocat wrote:Exactly how much do you know about the incident, l/t/m/c?
:wink:
how you typed "m" for the third letter instead of "e" is beyond me. look down at our keyboard, they are SO far away. QWERTY FTW.

EDIT: also, will provide alibis upon request.
Don't sass me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:23 pm

legallybrunette16 wrote:
mec30 wrote:
wow, I can't even imagine that drive!!!!
It's going to be five rough days. Without a trailer/if you were motivate you could do it in four. Fortunately my husband is going to do most of the driving. We looked at shipping/moving companies and just couldn't justify the costs.

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:56 pm

paraducks wrote:
como wrote:
legallybrunette16 wrote:does anyone else think that only inviting minorities and LGBT students to a program that teaches you how to brief a case and prepares you for the Socratic method is a bit insulting? why do they assume we need the extra help, while white/straight students don't?
I believe it's actually not run "officially" by CLS but it is a program that got started a few years ago as a sort of "joint venture" of various CLS identity groups. Now it's just kind of a tradition. I wouldn't take too much issue with it either way. If you feel insulted, don't go. If you feel as though you're not included, just show up. I'm sure they would welcome you.

the academic orientation program is an "official" cls program, funded in full by the school, and run by faculty members as well as representatives from various student diversity groups.

as you will learn from almost any former participant (myself included), aop really doesn't provide participants with any academic advantage over non-participants. rather, aop was first created to establish a welcoming environment for minority students in what might otherwise have felt like a rather unwelcoming environment.

historically, the minorities represented at aop have been underrepresented at law schools across the country, and especially at schools like cornell. while it might seem a little strange now, imagine being one of only 2 or 3 african american students among a sea of wasps in the 1980's. aop aims to reduce feelings of isolation, by connecting minority students, and also to reduce feelings of being an "outsider," by allowing those students to arrive on campus and get settled in first.

in short, aop's goal is to lessen any psychological burden that often comes with being a minority student in higher education. the fact that, as a minority, you might not feel that burden is perhaps a testament to the effectiveness of such programs.

so, to participants who are insulted for being included, know that the law school does not think that you're stupid and need an academic "boost"; and to non-participants who feel that minority students are receiving an unfair advantage, consider that, on top of the general anxiety of starting law school that you'll feel, many aop participants will also face anxieties and insecurities to which, fortunately for you, you probably have never and will never relate.

Wow. You put it perfectly.

cicely101

New

Post by cicely101 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:47 pm

I'm moving to campus on the 19th of August and wanted to know if anyone would have access to a van or pickup truck so that I can go pickup a futon that I'll be ordering from the nearby Walmart. All the moving companies I've called require a 4-hour minimum in order to perform their services. Please let me know!!!!!

Big Tuna

Bronze

Post by Big Tuna » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:59 pm

cicely101 wrote:I'm moving to campus on the 19th of August and wanted to know if anyone would have access to a van or pickup truck so that I can go pickup a futon that I'll be ordering from the nearby Walmart. All the moving companies I've called require a 4-hour minimum in order to perform their services. Please let me know!!!!!
Not overly helpful probably but Uhaul might be an option, they charge by the hour/mile driven.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cicely101

New

Post by cicely101 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:08 pm

Big Tuna wrote:
cicely101 wrote:I'm moving to campus on the 19th of August and wanted to know if anyone would have access to a van or pickup truck so that I can go pickup a futon that I'll be ordering from the nearby Walmart. All the moving companies I've called require a 4-hour minimum in order to perform their services. Please let me know!!!!!
Not overly helpful probably but Uhaul might be an option, they charge by the hour/mile driven.

Thanks! I'll check with the local Uhaul.

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:13 pm

I have a pickup truck, and would be more than happy to go get a futon.

cicely101

New

Post by cicely101 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:19 pm

cicely101 wrote:
Big Tuna wrote:

Thanks! I'll check with the local Uhaul.
Last edited by cicely101 on Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cicely101

New

Post by cicely101 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:20 pm

vexion wrote:
I have a pickup truck, and would be more than happy to go get a futon.
Oh wow, that would be great!!! When will you be on campus?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:45 pm

cicely101 wrote:Oh wow, that would be great!!! When will you be on campus?
Move in the 15th, party at my place the 18th, trip to NYC the 20th. :twisted:

arstech

New

Post by arstech » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:18 pm

People who are declining to go to AOP are overlooking one very important factor:

You can steal the I-Clicker they give you and save $35. Of course, the serial number is scratched off the back. But you can totally recover it so long as you have a magnifying glass and a little knowledge of the hit television show C.S.I. Miami.

holybartender

Bronze

Post by holybartender » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:45 pm

vexion wrote:
cicely101 wrote:Oh wow, that would be great!!! When will you be on campus?
Move in the 15th, party at my place the 18th, trip to NYC the 20th. :twisted:
I think we're on the same schedule. Nice.

paraducks

New

Post by paraducks » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:22 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
paraducks wrote:
como wrote:

so it helped matters to bring the two or three black students in to the empty atrium and say, hey! minorities, meet the other ONE we have!

lol just pointing out the disconnect of that sentiment. generally i couldn't care less about this. although pointing it out does reinforce the reasons why they use "critical mass" type language in the SCOTUS affirmative action cases.

o shit, i just [link redacted] again. GD...

definitely do not wish to turn this into some sort affirmative action debate, so this will be my last comment on the subject.

i definitely see what you're saying from an ideological point of view. i think that there will come a point when programs that highlight racial and sexual/gender identity boundaries prove more detrimental than beneficial; i do not, however, think that we have yet arrived at that point.

drawing from my own personal experience, i can say that it was helpful for me to immediately connect with classmates with whom i felt i could relate regarding the issues that minority students tend to face. insofar as these issues are not faced by non-minority students, i think that, at least until we move further towards closing the equality gap, the benefit of providing such a program outweighs the detriment of distinguishing between minority and non-minority students in this single way.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

como

Silver

Post by como » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:54 pm

Here, here! Spinellafest III knows no identity boundaries and is truly an open forum. Everyone is invited.

afghan007

Bronze

Post by afghan007 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:54 pm

arstech wrote:People who are declining to go to AOP are overlooking one very important factor:

You can steal the I-Clicker they give you and save $35. Of course, the serial number is scratched off the back. But you can totally recover it so long as you have a magnifying glass and a little knowledge of the hit television show C.S.I. Miami.
More helpful information like this please.

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:31 pm

como wrote:Here, here! Spinellafest III knows no identity boundaries and is truly an open forum. Everyone is invited.
When are you guys havin it?

Also, theme?

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:07 pm

calicocat wrote:
como wrote:Here, here! Spinellafest III knows no identity boundaries and is truly an open forum. Everyone is invited.
When are you guys havin it?

Also, theme?
hmmm Como, when should we have it? i'm thinking the first weekend, the 27th or 28th? thoughts, input, opinions, hopes, dreams, aspirations, share 'em all.

also Como, you should come down and we can crash Vexion's 1L party on the 18th.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:34 am

let/them/eat/cake wrote:also Como, you should come down and we can crash Vexion's 1L party on the 18th.
You don't have to crash, you're invited... :roll:

Also, anyone want to explain this Spinellafest stuff? And why does CC seem to know all the 2Ls?

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:41 am

vexion wrote:
let/them/eat/cake wrote:also Como, you should come down and we can crash Vexion's 1L party on the 18th.
You don't have to crash, you're invited... :roll:

Also, anyone want to explain this Spinellafest stuff? And why does CC seem to know all the 2Ls?
I know everything ;)

Spinellafest is a party. HOPEFULLY themed.

acdisagod

Bronze

Post by acdisagod » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:43 am

Are we going to get our booklist around the same time we find out our section?

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:53 am

acdisagod wrote:Are we going to get our booklist around the same time we find out our section?
The booklist is already available, but pointless until we know which section (some classes have the same book no matter the section, others have different books per section)
https://support.law.cornell.edu/student ... eBooks.cfm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”