Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013) Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
vexion

Bronze

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Post by vexion » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:41 pm

CyLaw wrote:If they are a Law School alum, you could just use their information and bypass the whole law school thing.
Depends on how well they did. :lol:

holybartender

Bronze

Post by holybartender » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:47 pm

Totally not worth three years of your life for a possible improvement.

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:41 pm

holybartender wrote:Totally not worth three years of your life for a possible improvement.
Point. Well, I'll see you guys around sometime. I'm going lawyerin'.

acdisagod

Bronze

Post by acdisagod » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:15 am

holybartender wrote:Totally not worth three years of your life for a possible improvement.
+1 Three years in the slammer stuck with inmates like these
<---------

would not make it worth your while

acdisagod

Bronze

Post by acdisagod » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:01 pm

Wow, us Hughes people have to pay for internet use over 2 gigabytes per month. Who uses less than two gigabytes per month?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

holybartender

Bronze

Post by holybartender » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:07 pm

acdisagod wrote:Wow, us Hughes people have to pay for internet use over 2 gigabytes per month. Who uses less than two gigabytes per month?
At what rate?

AdamatUCF

Bronze

Post by AdamatUCF » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:32 pm

Anyone still looking for a roommate/apartment? I'm a bit of a late admit and after the hectic rush to get in my deposit, fin aid forms, and health forms, I realize that I really need to get started on living arrangements.

I'm male, in my 20s, relaxed, non-smoker with no pets. I have no really strict preferences (male or female, doesn't matter, age doesn't matter much), but you must be reliable with the rent and can't be a drama queen. Also, the apartment should be a place conducive to studying, so no big parties every week.

acdisagod

Bronze

Post by acdisagod » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:36 pm

holybartender wrote:
acdisagod wrote:Wow, us Hughes people have to pay for internet use over 2 gigabytes per month. Who uses less than two gigabytes per month?
At what rate?
I think at about 20 cents a gig so that's not too bad. The worst was when I studied at The London School of Economics and if you went over 6 gigabytes in a week they would kick you off the internet for a week.

turkishangora

Bronze

Post by turkishangora » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:39 pm

entirely computer illiterate - how big is 2 gigabytes per month? is that only 5 emails/day stingy or as long as you only upload documents you're fine?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:49 pm

Wow. I am absolutely addicted to Netflix Watch Instantly/other media streaming sites. That would be disastrous for me! Really glad I decided to live off-campus.

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:07 pm

acdisagod wrote:
holybartender wrote:
At what rate?
I think at about 20 cents a gig so that's not too bad. The worst was when I studied at The London School of Economics and if you went over 6 gigabytes in a week they would kick you off the internet for a week.
Something tells me cylaw is not going to be happy about this. :)

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:32 pm

turkishangora wrote:
entirely computer illiterate - how big is 2 gigabytes per month? is that only 5 emails/day stingy or as long as you only upload documents you're fine?
As long as you stuck to internet browsing, uploading/downloading documents, and just a few Youtube videos a week, you'd make it. :roll:

Any online gaming, serious media streaming (one Netflix movie can involve between 1-2GB of data) and especially file-sharing would tip you over the limit.

acdisagod

Bronze

Post by acdisagod » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:05 pm

I had to monitor my internet use pretty closely in London. Normal internet use and about 1 or 2 hours of internet t.v. a day would put you at about 5 gigs a week so 20 for the month.

Emails and documents are a pretty insignificanrt source of internet use, it's video use that will take up a ton of room.

I forget but I think downloading a world cup game is about 2 gigs

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

holybartender

Bronze

Post by holybartender » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:43 pm

Not to harp on it, but yet another reason to live out of Hughes.

turkishangora

Bronze

Post by turkishangora » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:55 pm

bye bye cbs.com :cry:

turkishangora

Bronze

Post by turkishangora » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:01 pm

wait but law school proper should have free unlimited wi-fi for everyone though, right? so is the 2GB limit just our rooms?

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:23 pm

turkishangora wrote:wait but law school proper should have free unlimited wi-fi for everyone though, right? so is the 2GB limit just our rooms?
Don't think so...

http://newstudents.cornell.edu/first-year/computing.html
http://www.cit.cornell.edu/services/resnet/fees/index.cfm

As best as I can figure out, whether you use a wired connection in your room or Cornell's "RedRover WiFi" on campus, you're subject to "Network Usage Based Billing."

That second link seems to say you get 15 GB per month, and are billed per MB beyond that.

*shrug* Ask IT.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:20 pm

vexion wrote:
turkishangora wrote:wait but law school proper should have free unlimited wi-fi for everyone though, right? so is the 2GB limit just our rooms?
Don't think so...

http://newstudents.cornell.edu/first-year/computing.html
http://www.cit.cornell.edu/services/resnet/fees/index.cfm

As best as I can figure out, whether you use a wired connection in your room or Cornell's "RedRover WiFi" on campus, you're subject to "Network Usage Based Billing."

That second link seems to say you get 15 GB per month, and are billed per MB beyond that.

*shrug* Ask IT.
Correct.
For August 2009 and September 2009, the NUBB billing model was modified as follows:
Effective August 2009, the student billing threshold was changed from 10 GB to 15 GB.
Effective September 2009, NUBB was changed to a tiered billing model. For the tiered billing rate, usage which surpasses the NUBB billing threshold is billed at $0.0015 per Megabyte (unchanged from the previous rate) for usage up to 500 Gigabytes (inclusive) and additional usage beyond 500 Gigabytes is now billed at $0.0010 per Megabyte. The tiered billing changes apply to both students and non-students.
Also effective September 2009, a monthly billing cap of $1000 is also now in effect for all NUBB charges (for both students and non-students).
The 2GB cap was an old one and still appears on some documents (including some form documents we see in the housing process), but all those documents have a date earlier than the above, so they just have not been updated.

So the cap is 15GB before you start paying. You get ~47 GB total before you start paying more than the average costs for internet per month. http://www.cit.cornell.edu/cms/services ... q.cfm#2_27

And No, I am not happy about it. :evil: But I'll deal.

mec30

Bronze

Post by mec30 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:27 pm

holybartender wrote:Not to harp on it, but yet another reason to live out of Hughes.
Yes, please don't live in Hughes!

<----- is on the waitlist.

acdisagod

Bronze

Post by acdisagod » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:07 am

How much internet would an online video game for xbox360 use? I'm trying to decide if it's worth bringing up my 360.

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:33 am

acdisagod wrote:How much internet would an online video game for xbox360 use? I'm trying to decide if it's worth bringing up my 360.
Not much. Games are only sending small packets of deltas. Not much data is really needed to keep everyone in sync with everyone else.

Video and digital purchases are the only real bandwidth heavy activities at the current time.

Edit: Averages i have seen for online shooter play is 35Mb per hour. Don't know if that is in bytes or bits.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

judy_is_a_punk

New

Post by judy_is_a_punk » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:31 pm

Hey guys,

I am a rising 2L looking to hand over the lease on a studio at 516 Stewart Avenue- $510/month, furnished, with utilities included (except for internet). It is probably not good for people who like to cook since it only has a kitchenette. It's about a 7 minute uphill walk to the law school, a few doors down from an Ithaca Car Share Vehicle, and five minutes from Noyes Rec Center. Quiet building with mostly grad students. Send me a PM for pictures or if you have questions. I also have a ton of supplements that you can keep (or that I can throw away/donate if you don't want them).

AdamatUCF

Bronze

Post by AdamatUCF » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:42 pm

judy_is_a_punk wrote:Hey guys,

I am a rising 2L looking to hand over the lease on a studio at 516 Stewart Avenue- $510/month, furnished, with utilities included (except for internet). It is probably not good for people who like to cook since it only has a kitchenette. It's about a 7 minute uphill walk to the law school, a few doors down from an Ithaca Car Share Vehicle, and five minutes from Noyes Rec Center. Quiet building with mostly grad students. Send me a PM for pictures or if you have questions. I also have a ton of supplements that you can keep (or that I can throw away/donate if you don't want them).

Hi!

I sent you a PM (two, actually) expressing interest, but they all seem to get stuck in my outbox, and so I assume they weren't actually sent. Did you somehow get them?

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:44 pm

AdamatUCF wrote:Hi!

I sent you a PM (two, actually) expressing interest, but they all seem to get stuck in my outbox, and so I assume they weren't actually sent. Did you somehow get them?
Adamat, they don't move to Sent until the next time the recipient logs in. That way you can still edit them and they'll never see the pre-edited version. :P

AdamatUCF

Bronze

Post by AdamatUCF » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:47 pm

vexion wrote:
AdamatUCF wrote:Hi!

Adamat, they don't move to Sent until the next time the recipient logs in. That way you can still edit them and they'll never see the pre-edited version. :P

Oooh. I didn't realize that. I still have a PM in my outbox from weeks ago, since (I just checked) the recipient never logged back in after their first/only post.

Weird. Anyway, thanks for clarifying this. And now I look weird for having sent two PMs and made a reply on the forums within a 5 minute time span.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”