Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013) Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
sjsteece

Bronze

Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Post by sjsteece » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:23 pm

And the sections are....

A
afghan007
jks289
yanks008
Sgt Pepper
extempore88
violinist

B
vexion
mec 30
Oberlion
pudge
danidancer
Ostrizr316
mstich

C
Cylaw
Acdiscagod
AdamatUCF
goodliuchuan

D
Big Tuna
klk
holybartender
legallybrunette
alexyoshi
turkishangora
spaacecdt
NeXP

E
CCoolidge
Devila_C
nosurprise

F
sjsteece
jms116
calicocat
pinkhearts
mitcanrita
Schatzy185

Officially Attending List- Cornell here we come!

cicely101
Admitme17
Ronaldo
yelgnits
Fuser
grandslam
boss
turkishangora
night06
aquinn
Lincoln
law&golf
Heather1987
vievegen08
amichig
PennyLane2013
hereforhelp
ladiesandgerms
Last edited by sjsteece on Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:52 am, edited 59 times in total.

alexyoshi

New

Re: Cornell 2013

Post by alexyoshi » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:49 pm

there's a good chance i'll be in this bunch... thread bookmarked :D

js87

Bronze

Post by js87 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:07 am

Does anyone know the likelihood of getting merit scholarship money with a 171/3.75 but high family income? I was told by the admissions office that merit based aid is calculated with financial aid; it sounded like your financial situation may influence their merit aid decisions.

I'd love to go to Cornell, but I was not invited to apply for the Dean's Scholarship and my family's income is high enough so that I seriously doubt that I'll receive any financial aid. My parents, however, cannot and will not contribute anything to my law school education. It seems unfair that their income, even if it has no bearing on my ability to pay, determines whether or not I qualify for aid :|

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:09 am

js87 wrote:Does anyone know the likelihood of getting merit scholarship money with a 171/3.75 but high family income? I was told by the admissions office that merit based aid is calculated with financial aid; it sounded like your financial situation may influence their merit aid decisions.

I'd love to go to Cornell, but I was not invited to apply for the Dean's Scholarship and my family's income is high enough so that I seriously doubt that I'll receive any financial aid. My parents, however, cannot and will not contribute anything to my law school education. It seems unfair that their income, even if it has no bearing on my ability to pay, determines whether or not I qualify for aid :|
I'm in the same predicament. I'm not rich by any means, but my family makes enough money so that schools don't give me any need-based aid. Plus, I doubt I will get any merit money, if I even manage to get in at all. Cornell has some ludicrously high tuition, so its not looking too good. But I guess I'll focus on actually getting in first. Baby steps...

sjsteece

Bronze

Post by sjsteece » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:01 am

Even if you don't get any financial aid they have a really great loan program. It's much easier on students since Cornell is the one giving you the money. And they have a loan forgiveness program if you decide to go into public interest or if you can prove your income is too low post-law school to pay it back. I was very impressed with the information they gave us at last year's ASW. They do a great job of assuring you that you will easily find a job when you graduate, and if you don't- then no pressure to pay back loans right away.

Granted, it's their job to make it sound good, but I was quite sold.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

johndh

New

Post by johndh » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:37 pm

Anyone have an idea how many people are invited to apply for the Dean's scholarship? Getting that could potentially really tip the scales.

alexyoshi

New

Post by alexyoshi » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:41 pm

johndh wrote:Anyone have an idea how many people are invited to apply for the Dean's scholarship? Getting that could potentially really tip the scales.
i'd bet no more than 25-30 at the most, since they award "up to 10" according to what i've read elsewhere.

hopefulincal

Bronze

Post by hopefulincal » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:28 pm

For those of us that are in already, is Cornell your top choice?

I like Cornell overall. The only thing that concerns me is the reputation of its students studying 5+ hours a day (most out of t14). Is there any truth to this?

johndh

New

Post by johndh » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:52 pm

hopefulincal wrote:For those of us that are in already, is Cornell your top choice?

I like Cornell overall. The only thing that concerns me is the reputation of its students studying 5+ hours a day (most out of t14). Is there any truth to this?
Honestly I am waiting to see about the scholarship consideration. I do like Cornell but I have some other t14 acceptances, so I am just going to have to wait and see what works the best.

As for the studying I am not taking it too seriously. You're going to have to study a lot no matter where you go and I wouldn't think you would study considerably less at say Georgetown or Duke.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Wanpsack1

New

Post by Wanpsack1 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:05 pm

hopefulincal wrote:For those of us that are in already, is Cornell your top choice?

I think this comes from the fact that during a large portion of the year its too cold to do anything else, so you might as well hang out in the library and "study." I agree with the previous poster that you probably do about the same amout of "real" studying here as most other t14 schools.

Cornell is one of my two top choices. I'm waiting on the other to let me know one way ar another. It was a reach to get into Cornell and it will be a reach to get into the other. Lightning has struck once, but will it strike twice? :?

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:20 am

not everyone does, but some do. when work starts to pack up, definitely.

there's a good mix of party-goers and gunners.. like any law school.

AdmitMe17

New

Post by AdmitMe17 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:55 am

Does anyone know anything about Cornell Housing? I have looked through the information that the school provided on the website, but was wondering if anyone knew where law students liked to live and if anyone could compare living at Hughes Hall to living off campus etc.

Go Cornell 2013! :D

sjsteece

Bronze

Post by sjsteece » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:32 pm

I went with off-campus housing. I toured Hughes last year at one of the ASWs and while it would be nice to just be able to roll out of bed and go to class the dorms seemed rather cramped and kind of depressing (in the Spring mind you). I should mention that I hate community housing though so if that's your thing then get your application in ASAP. For anyone looking for some decent off campus housing I put a deposit down at a place from this small realty company --LinkRemoved--

I had to rent sight unseen since I'm living overseas but it seemed like it had everything I would need for the right price and the landlord was very agreeable to work with. If anyone else does decide to rent from them you should let me know if any of the properties match up to the pictures =)

Good luck.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

boss

New

Post by boss » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:28 pm

Would anyone be interested in sharing a 2/2?

Male, 21, non-smoker. Crazies need not apply.

Trying to save a little cheddar here.

fsohn

Bronze

Post by fsohn » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:53 pm

js87 wrote:Does anyone know the likelihood of getting merit scholarship money with a 171/3.75 but high family income? I was told by the admissions office that merit based aid is calculated with financial aid; it sounded like your financial situation may influence their merit aid decisions.

Slightly lower numbers here, but similar family situation. I still got a scholarship that covered (over the course of three years) more than a year's tuition. Don't lose hope.

amandap

Bronze

Post by amandap » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:06 am

So if we have already been admitted, but have not heard anything about scholarships, is there any chance we might still get one? My family is low income, but I would not qualify for merit aid. Do they give out scholarships only when you are accepted or do they wait to see your FAFSA and Need Access?

fsohn

Bronze

Post by fsohn » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:58 pm

amandap wrote:So if we have already been admitted, but have not heard anything about scholarships, is there any chance we might still get one? My family is low income, but I would not qualify for merit aid. Do they give out scholarships only when you are accepted or do they wait to see your FAFSA and Need Access?
I got my scholarship info significantly after I got accepted. It's also an undefined combination of merit and need. You may get something yet.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:09 pm

fsohn wrote:
amandap wrote:So if we have already been admitted, but have not heard anything about scholarships, is there any chance we might still get one? My family is low income, but I would not qualify for merit aid. Do they give out scholarships only when you are accepted or do they wait to see your FAFSA and Need Access?
I got my scholarship info significantly after I got accepted. It's also an undefined combination of merit and need. You may get something yet.
I believe from what I read and heard, scholarship information, outside the Dean's Scholarship, is done in Feb/March time frame.

Make sure to start filling out the Financial Aid paperwork, because as fsohn said, they award merit and need based aid at the same time it seems.

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:00 pm

For the person who asked earlier with the 171, 3.75, I think you stand a pretty decent chance of 1/3 to 1/2 scholarship based on some people I know from this year's 1L class. The people I know seem to study alot. If you think about the 5 hour thing, think maybe 2 hours between classes and 3 afterwards. I would say this is about the same at other schools. I have heard of people who do not study very much, but I don't really know any.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:03 pm

Last edited by dakatz on Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

como

Silver

Post by como » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:28 pm

I'm here to take questions, specific and general about Cornell. I will be candid as hell about my experience so far.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:30 pm

como wrote:I'm here to take questions, specific and general about Cornell. I will be candid as hell about my experience so far.
Any experience with renting a house in the area. If I come to Cornell, it will be with my two dogs, so a rental house will likely be necessary for me.

como

Silver

Post by como » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:34 pm

CyLaw wrote:
como wrote:I'm here to take questions, specific and general about Cornell. I will be candid as hell about my experience so far.
Any experience with renting a house in the area. If I come to Cornell, it will be with my two dogs, so a rental house will likely be necessary for me.
I got a one-bedroom, since I don't have any pets. One of my friends rented a house with another guy since he has a dog. It's definitely doable, and you can still find some good deals. They go pretty fast though, since most people here already have places lined up for next year. East on Dryden is probably your best bet for affordable places within walking distance (and without a hill). You could probably find something in Fall Creek too, but that would be too far to walk (IMO). Also, it is down the hill. Try to find some people who would rent with you. One to three people should be good, depending on the size.

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:36 pm

como wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
I got a one-bedroom, since I don't have any pets. One of my friends rented a house with another guy since he has a dog. It's definitely doable, and you can still find some good deals. They go pretty fast though, since most people here already have places lined up for next year. East on Dryden is probably your best bet for affordable places within walking distance (and without a hill). You could probably find something in Fall Creek too, but that would be too far to walk (IMO). Also, it is down the hill. Try to find some people who would rent with you. One to three people should be good, depending on the size.
Thanks. That was hopefully going to be my plan: To get a large enough house for my two dogs to run around and to find a couple of people willing to live with them to split the cost of the house with.

js87

Bronze

Post by js87 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:11 am

Thanks for taking questions. A little general, but how would you rate your overall experience so far?

What are students saying about OCI and career placement given the economy? How grim is the situation up there?

What is your opinion of living in Hughes during the first year?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”