Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013) Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
CyLaw

Gold

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Post by CyLaw » Tue May 25, 2010 9:25 pm

Ronaldo wrote:
jks289 wrote:Does anyone have the admissions or financial aid fax number? I left it at the office and need to send in the final part of my financial aid application.

607-255-1357

http://library.lawschool.cornell.edu/Wh ... People.cfm

I don't know if it's accurate.
That is for the law library.

607-255-7193
Got it from --LinkRemoved--

Ronaldo

New

Post by Ronaldo » Tue May 25, 2010 9:28 pm

CyLaw wrote:
Ronaldo wrote:
jks289 wrote:Does anyone have the admissions or financial aid fax number? I left it at the office and need to send in the final part of my financial aid application.

607-255-1357

607-255-7193
Yeah, I just posted that one a second before you did. I found it on Princeton Review.

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Tue May 25, 2010 9:29 pm

Ronaldo wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
Ronaldo wrote:

607-255-1357

607-255-7193
Yeah, I just posted that one a second before you did. I found it on Princeton Review.
:) I should have checked the previous page.

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Tue May 25, 2010 9:42 pm

Thanks guys! The "7193" one is correct. Now I just have to wait and see if they decide to give me any money. :)

Ronaldo

New

Post by Ronaldo » Tue May 25, 2010 9:46 pm

jks289 wrote:Thanks guys! The "7193" one is correct. Now I just have to wait and see if they decide to give me any money. :)

Good Luck! :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

spaacecdt

New

Post by spaacecdt » Wed May 26, 2010 2:14 am

Just off reserve last week! 98% sure I'll be in Ithaca in the Fall... just waiting to see what FinAid is going to do with me.

Would you say Hughes Hall is a good option for me if I'm in CA? Or is the time/effort/money worth it, at this point (I don't know what 1br near campus for under $750 prospects are...), to try and look for a decent apartment?

Thanks all! Hope to see you in the fall. :)
Last edited by spaacecdt on Wed May 26, 2010 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

spaacecdt

New

Post by spaacecdt » Wed May 26, 2010 2:18 am

jks289 wrote:Is it a pipedream to think new admits might get money? I imagine there is nothing for the waitlist, but this "reserve" status had me confused.
Did the admissions office say that you could wait until your finaid package came through to put down your seat deposit? That's what they told me and I tend to be a worry-wart when there are no new solid deadlines (especially as my original May 28 deadline is fast approaching).

Big Tuna

Bronze

Post by Big Tuna » Wed May 26, 2010 7:34 am

spaacecdt wrote:
jks289 wrote:Is it a pipedream to think new admits might get money? I imagine there is nothing for the waitlist, but this "reserve" status had me confused.
Did the admissions office say that you could wait until your finaid package came through to put down your seat deposit? That's what they told me and I tend to be a worry-wart when there are no new solid deadlines (especially as my original May 28 deadline is fast approaching).
I got the same soft deadline of "after your financial aid decision" but I still got an email 3 weeks after I was accepted asking why I hadn't deposited... Once I explained what someone from finaid had told me they continued extending but I ended up depositing anyway and got my no-aid letter later in the week. Weird how things work out huh.

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Wed May 26, 2010 9:27 am

spaacecdt wrote:Just off reserve last week! 98% sure I'll be in Ithaca in the Fall... just waiting to see what FinAid is going to do with me.

Would you say Hughes Hall is a good option for me if I'm in CA? Or is the time/effort/money worth it, at this point (I don't know what 1br near campus for under $750 prospects are...), to try and look for a decent apartment?

Thanks all! Hope to see you in the fall. :)
I think someone else said Hughes is already full, but i don't know that for sure personally

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Wed May 26, 2010 11:45 am

Big Tuna wrote:
spaacecdt wrote:
I got the same soft deadline of "after your financial aid decision" but I still got an email 3 weeks after I was accepted asking why I hadn't deposited... Once I explained what someone from finaid had told me they continued extending but I ended up depositing anyway and got my no-aid letter later in the week. Weird how things work out huh.
My email last Friday said I had until this Friday to deposit. I never brought up financial aid, and mailed the check on Monday. I had already committed to enroll in my LOCI so I didn't think withholding the deposit in hopes of money was a good strategy. I don't really expect anything, but even a token amount would make paying for this easier.

Heather1987

New

Post by Heather1987 » Wed May 26, 2010 1:34 pm

Hi friends! Looks like I will be joining you in Ithaca this fall as well...looking forward to meeting everybody.

I had a couple of questions, maybe one of you can help me with?

How soon after submitting your final deposit should I expect to receive my net ID? How soon after admission did each of you receive your financial aid award letter? Do I have to wait for my net ID to view my award letter online or will it be sent to me via email/mail when it is ready?

Thanks a bunch! ;)

Ronaldo

New

Post by Ronaldo » Wed May 26, 2010 1:58 pm

Heather1987 wrote:Hi friends! Looks like I will be joining you in Ithaca this fall as well...looking forward to meeting everybody.

I had a couple of questions, maybe one of you can help me with?

How soon after submitting your final deposit should I expect to receive my net ID? How soon after admission did each of you receive your financial aid award letter? Do I have to wait for my net ID to view my award letter online or will it be sent to me via email/mail when it is ready?

Thanks a bunch! ;)

Congratulations!

The net ID has not been issued. I was accepted around March, and I received an email about a week ago asking for my phone number, because they will send a text message with all the net ID info...

I received my financial aid award letter about 2 weeks after I submitted all the necessary paperwork (tax returns, fin aid application etc...)

You do not need to wait for the net ID to view your financial aid letter. The letter is mailed and you can even call and they will scan and email the letter (that is what I did).

Good Luck!

AdamatUCF

Bronze

Post by AdamatUCF » Wed May 26, 2010 3:53 pm

I'm in!!!

Got the "We couldn't wait to let you know that we're offering you admission to our J.D. Class of 2013. The official admission letter and packet from our office is in the mail and you should receive it soon." email.

I'm dancing and jumping and cheering. This is a great end to a terrible cycle. 5 rejections, 1 WL->Rejection, and 3 WL.

Now, I can add an acceptance to that! :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Wed May 26, 2010 4:02 pm

Congrats AdamatUCF, Heather1987, spaacecdt, and everyone else!

If you haven't read through the whole thread:

The last male room in Hughes Hall (the 1L dorm attached to the law school) is confirmed taken. So the status of university-owned housing is bleak. If you want to shop around, Cornell has an Off-Campus Housing Office that provides pretty good information to help you out. There's a list of apartments and apartment complexes in Ithaca at http://dos.cornell.edu/dos/cms/ocho/upl ... G-2010.pdf. It's not exhaustive, I'm not sure if inclusion on that list is self-selection by landlords or what. But it's a good jumping-off point. As well, the OCHO has a searchable online database for housing in Ithaca at https://larissa.campuslife.cornell.edu: ... age1-1.asp.

Craigslist has a pretty good selection of apartments for rent in Ithaca. Worth checking out, you never know what you'll find. When I went apartment-hunting I used both OCHO and Craigslist, and a lot of listings on OCHO's database overlapped with Craigslist.

The areas CLOSE to campus are Collegetown, Lower Collegetown, West Campus if you want to walk a bit. If you're looking for $600-$750/mo, you're pretty much limited to small studios in Collegetown. Further out from campus, prices drop dramatically.

Also, there have been some 0Ls looking for roommates to share a place across this thread, and in discussions on the official Cornell Law Class of 2013 Facebook group and the unofficial TLS Cornell Class of 2013 group (that's where all the cool kids are.) It's a long shot but might still merit a look.

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:47 pm

Just got the aid email, loans only. Completely expected with my numbers, I'm still fine paying sticker. I'm less nervous because I won't need to worry about COL loans. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear.

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:47 pm

AdamatUCF wrote:I'm in!!!

Got the "We couldn't wait to let you know that we're offering you admission to our J.D. Class of 2013. The official admission letter and packet from our office is in the mail and you should receive it soon." email.

I'm dancing and jumping and cheering. This is a great end to a terrible cycle. 5 rejections, 1 WL->Rejection, and 3 WL.

Now, I can add an acceptance to that! :)
Woohoo!! I know you've been waiting a long time on this one! Congratulations!!

fsohn

Bronze

Post by fsohn » Wed May 26, 2010 6:47 pm

jks289 wrote:Just got the aid email, loans only. Completely expected with my numbers, I'm still fine paying sticker. I'm less nervous because I won't need to worry about COL loans. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear.
You've gotta be one risk-loving sonofagun coming to law school paying full tuition ITE. Just saying.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Wed May 26, 2010 7:37 pm

fsohn wrote:
jks289 wrote:Just got the aid email, loans only. Completely expected with my numbers, I'm still fine paying sticker. I'm less nervous because I won't need to worry about COL loans. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear.
You've gotta be one risk-loving sonofagun coming to law school paying full tuition ITE. Just saying.
Even if I agreed that for the general population Cornell at sticker constituted a significant risk (and I don't, necessarily) my personal circumstances make it less so. I also think it is a silly assumption that "ITE" is applicable to the economy three years from now. Also I tend to make big life and financial decision based on factors other than the collective wisdom of 0Ls on an internet message board. :)

Ronaldo

New

Post by Ronaldo » Wed May 26, 2010 7:48 pm

jks289 wrote:
fsohn wrote:
Even if I agreed that for the general population Cornell at sticker constituted a significant risk (and I don't, necessarily) my personal circumstances make it less so. I also think it is a silly assumption that "ITE" is applicable to the economy three years from now. Also I tend to make big life and financial decision based on factors other than the collective wisdom of 0Ls on an internet message board. :)

100% Agree. I was awarded a decent scholarship, which I am very grateful. However, if I had to pay sticker to attend Cornell or a similar school, I would have done so.

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Wed May 26, 2010 8:41 pm

jks289 wrote:
fsohn wrote:
fsohn is our resident curmudgeon. It's his job to be a killjoy. ;) One bright light is Cornell's LRAP -- it's definitely pretty good if you're going into public service.

Sorry about the loans only -- I was holding out hope for a little cash sent your way.
Ronaldo wrote:
jks289 wrote:
fsohn wrote:

100% Agree. I was awarded a decent scholarship, which I am very grateful. However, if I had to pay sticker to attend Cornell or a similar school, I would have done so.
I almost made this mistake last year -- thought Cornell had stiffed me w/ just loans, and chose a T20 with a fat scholly. Changed my mind only when I found Cornell sent my financial aid letter elsewhere and fin aid actually surpassed the T20. I'm now convinced that making such a decision based solely on a money was a very, very poor decision. Fortunately for me, fate intervened.

ETA: I also turned down two higher-ranked (than Cornell) schools because of no money. Strangely enough, I don't have the same feeling, i.e. I made (versus would have made) a mistake. I think in part it's the whole "Ivy" thing (as in my chosen field, any "Ivy" has more cred than the two schools I turned down,) so gaining a few USNWR steps doesn't make up for, what's that silly term, "lay prestige".

fsohn

Bronze

Post by fsohn » Thu May 27, 2010 1:23 am

jks289 wrote:
fsohn wrote:
The assumptions. . . they boggle the mind.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Thu May 27, 2010 1:56 am

fsohn wrote:
jks289 wrote:
fsohn wrote:
The assumptions. . . they boggle the mind.
Regarding the economy? I could be wrong, but my money (150K of it) is on it being better in 3 years. Only time will tell, but I'm making an educated guess. As to the rest of it, I know my own circumstances which I'd be happy to discuss via PM but would rather not post online. Also, I'm not planning on BigLaw so IBR and Cornell's LRAP matter more than 30K total merit aid I was offered at other T20s.

I do appreciate you role on these threads, fshon. It has helped me solidify that I'm making the right choice.

Big Tuna

Bronze

Post by Big Tuna » Thu May 27, 2010 9:01 am

Did anyone pay both deposits at the same time? I sent in a single check for both but only got a confirm email that I had paid the first deposit...

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Thu May 27, 2010 9:27 am

Big Tuna wrote:Did anyone pay both deposits at the same time? I sent in a single check for both but only got a confirm email that I had paid the first deposit...
I did. I headed them one check in the amount of both deposits at Admitted Student Day, and yes they confirm them in batches, so I got confirmation of the first deposit and then much later confirmation of the second.

Big Tuna

Bronze

Post by Big Tuna » Thu May 27, 2010 9:39 am

CyLaw wrote:
Big Tuna wrote:Did anyone pay both deposits at the same time? I sent in a single check for both but only got a confirm email that I had paid the first deposit...
I did. I headed them one check in the amount of both deposits at Admitted Student Day, and yes they confirm them in batches, so I got confirmation of the first deposit and then much later confirmation of the second.
OK Cool thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”