Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013) Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
mec30

Bronze

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Post by mec30 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:39 am

holybartender wrote:Well, went down to Newport Beach with some friends for the weekend, since we're all about to go to random places for the next few years. I had worn my Cornell shirt to work and I didn't bother changing when I arrived as we were just going to some dive bar on the water to play pool and drink some pitchers. At some point in the night I go to the bathroom and while I'm pissing two other guys walk in. They're clearly hammered, staggering in and nearly falling into the sinks. I don't remember the conversation verbatim, as I wasn't too far behind them in drinks, but one guy in a thick Boston accent bellows "You're wearing that fucking shirt around us!?" Evidently one was from Harvard and the other was from Brown and they hate Cornell I guess? They started talking shit on Cornell so I insulted their sports teams, which in retrospect was probably a poor decision. One of them ultimately tries to get at me but the friend restrains him and I get the fuck out of there.

Probably not as interesting as you were expecting but there it is. I want school to start already.

Wow. This bar's patronship is unusually highly educated, esp for a dive bar in SoCal. Also, poop is Brown.

Big Tuna

Bronze

Post by Big Tuna » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:51 am

Gorge envy runs deep in the Ivy League, Sigmund Freud said so.

amichig

New

Post by amichig » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:49 pm

NeXP wrote:
amichig wrote:Random question for you all....is anyone registering their vehicle in NY? My vehicle is in my name, but my partner who is moving with me will be driving my vehicle for work pretty frequently. I'm wondering if that means it needs to be registered. His name is not on the car, he's just an insured driver. Thoughts?
As is mine and I'm working on the same issue. Do you intend to share one vehicle?
Yes, we share the one car. Seeing as my registration in AZ runs out in mid-July, I've more or less decided to register the car in NY.

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:56 pm

amichig wrote:
NeXP wrote:
amichig wrote:Random question for you all....is anyone registering their vehicle in NY? My vehicle is in my name, but my partner who is moving with me will be driving my vehicle for work pretty frequently. I'm wondering if that means it needs to be registered. His name is not on the car, he's just an insured driver. Thoughts?
As is mine and I'm working on the same issue. Do you intend to share one vehicle?
Yes, we share the one car. Seeing as my registration in AZ runs out in mid-July, I've more or less decided to register the car in NY.
I'm already registered in NYS. Not sure if I want to switch everything over to Ithaca or have my permanent address be my family's address. Of course it would mean absentee voting for the midterms. Hmmm...

Big Tuna

Bronze

Post by Big Tuna » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:21 pm

Sorry if this was already asked or answered, but does NYS require a car be registered or can we keep our own state's registration since we aren't permanent residents (this obviously only applies to non New Yorkers).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AdamatUCF

Bronze

Post by AdamatUCF » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:40 pm

Big Tuna wrote:Sorry if this was already asked or answered, but does NYS require a car be registered or can we keep our own state's registration since we aren't permanent residents (this obviously only applies to non New Yorkers).
It's at the top of the previous page.

Big Tuna

Bronze

Post by Big Tuna » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:18 pm

AdamatUCF wrote:
Big Tuna wrote:Sorry if this was already asked or answered, but does NYS require a car be registered or can we keep our own state's registration since we aren't permanent residents (this obviously only applies to non New Yorkers).
It's at the top of the previous page.
Thanks, found it

acdisagod

Bronze

Post by acdisagod » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:09 am

Nice, just saw we have one of the most lenient curves in the country (3.35).

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:09 pm

I'm just back from out of the country, and my NetID was waiting for me (Yay!). Am I going crazy or was there supposed to be some kind of binder we received as well?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:19 pm

jks289 wrote:I'm just back from out of the country, and my NetID was waiting for me (Yay!). Am I going crazy or was there supposed to be some kind of binder we received as well?
We all got a packet in the mail, but nothing binder-like. Just a copy of the Cornell alumni magazine, the Gannett health forms, orientation schedule... nothing super useful.

turkishangora

Bronze

Post by turkishangora » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:42 pm

vexion wrote:
jks289 wrote:I'm just back from out of the country, and my NetID was waiting for me (Yay!). Am I going crazy or was there supposed to be some kind of binder we received as well?
We all got a packet in the mail, but nothing binder-like. Just a copy of the Cornell alumni magazine, the Gannett health forms, orientation schedule... nothing super useful.

I didn't get any of that :( and no net ID yet either....though I'm searchable online. Boo.

AdamatUCF

Bronze

Post by AdamatUCF » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:49 pm

turkishangora wrote:
vexion wrote:

I didn't get any of that :( and no net ID yet either....though I'm searchable online. Boo.

You didn't get a packet in the mail with a physical copy of your acceptance letter and some random booklets of information and a CD?

You should call and ask for one.

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:52 pm

AdamatUCF wrote:
turkishangora wrote:
vexion wrote:

You didn't get a packet in the mail with a physical copy of your acceptance letter and some random booklets of information and a CD?

Ah yes. I got the CD. I guess I just made up their being a binder. Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:54 pm

So what's the deal with the Dean's Certification? I remember reading somewhere that a Dean's Certification form is required before matriculation, even if you didn't need one when you applied. Did they ever send us information about it? And do we need to send them an official transcript?

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:57 pm

danidancer wrote:So what's the deal with the Dean's Certification? I remember reading somewhere that a Dean's Certification form is required before matriculation, even if you didn't need one when you applied. Did they ever send us information about it? And do we need to send them an official transcript?
From what I saw you just need to print it out and have it signed by the relevant party. Not sure about the transcripts. Do we need to resend if there were no updates after we sent them to LSAC?

holybartender

Bronze

Post by holybartender » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:30 pm

I got an admitted students little red binder that was filled with some information.

turkishangora

Bronze

Post by turkishangora » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:55 pm

AdamatUCF wrote:
turkishangora wrote:
vexion wrote:

got the letter and CD, but nothing afterwards. I just double checked that they received my second deposit. Were they supposed to have sent out a more official "you're JD 2013" class??

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

turkishangora

Bronze

Post by turkishangora » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:57 pm

jks289 wrote:
danidancer wrote:So what's the deal with the Dean's Certification? I remember reading somewhere that a Dean's Certification form is required before matriculation, even if you didn't need one when you applied. Did they ever send us information about it? And do we need to send them an official transcript?
From what I saw you just need to print it out and have it signed by the relevant party. Not sure about the transcripts. Do we need to resend if there were no updates after we sent them to LSAC?
I'm pretty sure that they need an official transcript from your UG; I read somewhere that the LSAC version won't do. I sent one a month ago but haven't heard from Cornell, so don't know.

PennyLane2013

New

Post by PennyLane2013 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:04 pm

Hi guys, first time posting and excited to be joining you all at Cornell in the fall!

Decided yesterday to take a spot in Hughes, which means the gorgeous apartment on Seneca I was considering is now available! It's in a beautiful old mansion from the 1800s that is now split up into units, singles run from $750 to $1000/month and the one I am freeing up is $925/month. It is a truly amazing place with a ton of space for one person; part of me is sad I won't be living there but I just decided for a few different reasons that Hughes would be a better call for me personally. This place isn't really publicized since they only take "serious and respectful grad students" so I thought someone here might be interested. "PM" me for more details and I'll send you in the direction of the (VERY nice) property manager.

There's also a 3BR in North campus with two 2Ls or 3Ls (can't remember which) living there and one room available. I had been in contact with them as well and they seem awesome. The rent there is $800/month with free parking and they both said they've really enjoyed living there for the past year or two. Feel free to PM me about that too.

Also, if anyone else was trying to check out the Hughes floor plan to figure out where their room is, the facilities department won't give it out; the woman I spoke to said there was some 9/11-related paranoia about it. Sooo guess we'll all find out when we get there

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:56 pm

holybartender wrote:I got an admitted students little red binder that was filled with some information.
+1. There was a binder earlier in the cycle for the first sets of admitted students. They might have switched to CDs after a while (I never got a CD).

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:57 pm

CyLaw wrote:
holybartender wrote:I got an admitted students little red binder that was filled with some information.
+1. There was a binder earlier in the cycle for the first sets of admitted students. They might have switched to CDs after a while (I never got a CD).
Same here.

Also, I only got one piece of paper with my NetId.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Big Tuna

Bronze

Post by Big Tuna » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:34 am

calicocat wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
Same here.

Also, I only got one piece of paper with my NetId.
Same for the net ID, just a single paper. For the other mailing I got a folder that had the acceptance letter, something about students with disabilities, financial aid form instructions, a map of Ithaca and restaurant guide.

AdamatUCF

Bronze

Post by AdamatUCF » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:50 am

Big Tuna wrote:and restaurant guide.
I don't recall getting this. If you've got a scanner, I'd love to see it. :-D

Big Tuna

Bronze

Post by Big Tuna » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:40 am

AdamatUCF wrote:
Big Tuna wrote:and restaurant guide.
I don't recall getting this. If you've got a scanner, I'd love to see it. :-D
I'll see what I can do after work :)

extempore88

New

Post by extempore88 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:30 am

Last edited by extempore88 on Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”