Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013) Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
acdisagod

Bronze

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Post by acdisagod » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:06 pm

vexion wrote:Well, if you can call me and drag my ass out of bed/the library I'll go running with you or something. I'll probably collapse after a mile, especially on those hills. And I sweat like Richard Nixon on a polygraph. Fair warning.
Lol, we can run, I'll just keep my distance until you shower. I prefer night runs but I couild possibly be persuaded to get up early if you can call me and drag my ass out of bed.

Btw it won't take any effort to drag me out of the library.

mec30

Bronze

Post by mec30 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:26 pm

vexion wrote:Anyone going to be working out a lot in Ithaca? I've never been a gym rat... previously 100% of my exercise came from taekwondo class. I've looked for a way to keep it up at Cornell, but the undergraduate taekwondo club is stupid. I might have to learn to start running/lifting. :?
I will. I also got the climbing/bouldering wall enhancement. I'm hoping it's worth it.

amichig

New

Post by amichig » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:25 pm

Random question for you all....is anyone registering their vehicle in NY? My vehicle is in my name, but my partner who is moving with me will be driving my vehicle for work pretty frequently. I'm wondering if that means it needs to be registered. His name is not on the car, he's just an insured driver. Thoughts?

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:31 pm

amichig wrote:Random question for you all....is anyone registering their vehicle in NY? My vehicle is in my name, but my partner who is moving with me will be driving my vehicle for work pretty frequently. I'm wondering if that means it needs to be registered. His name is not on the car, he's just an insured driver. Thoughts?
Hrm. I hadn't thought about this. From the New York State DMV website:
www.nydmv.state.ny.us wrote:If you are a not a resident of NYS, a vehicle registration from your state of residence is valid in NYS. If you become a resident of NYS, you have 30 days after you become a resident to register your vehicle in NYS. If you are a resident of NYS and you get a vehicle from another state, you must register the vehicle in NYS.
I guess the next question is, what established residency? If you register to vote, are you a resident? For tax purposes, it's the location of your primary home (now New York). Personally, I'll be registering to vote in New York, getting an NY driver's license and presumably paying taxes there if I end up working in NYC. So yeah, I guess I'll have to register my vehicle.

amichig

New

Post by amichig » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:34 pm

vexion wrote:
amichig wrote:Random question for you all....is anyone registering their vehicle in NY? My vehicle is in my name, but my partner who is moving with me will be driving my vehicle for work pretty frequently. I'm wondering if that means it needs to be registered. His name is not on the car, he's just an insured driver. Thoughts?
Hrm. I hadn't thought about this. From the New York State DMV website:
www.nydmv.state.ny.us wrote:If you are a not a resident of NYS, a vehicle registration from your state of residence is valid in NYS. If you become a resident of NYS, you have 30 days after you become a resident to register your vehicle in NYS. If you are a resident of NYS and you get a vehicle from another state, you must register the vehicle in NYS.
I guess the next question is, what established residency? If you register to vote, are you a resident? For tax purposes, it's the location of your primary home (now New York). Personally, I'll be registering to vote in New York, getting an NY driver's license and presumably paying taxes there if I end up working in NYC. So yeah, I guess I'll have to register my vehicle.

According to the DMV website, "According to this law, students from other states or from other nations who attend school in NYS are normally not considered residents of NYS."

So I know I am not considered a resident, but my partner who will be working (and driving my car) is.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:56 pm

Ooooh.

*shrug*

Is there a downside to registering?

Devila_C

New

Post by Devila_C » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:11 pm

vexion wrote:Bah! My state school UG mired in red tape and Appalachian poverty still let me pick a vanity email address.

Also, in UG we got a free download of Vista Ultimate Edition and Office 2007 Enterprise Edition, among other expensive software. Cornell has none of this, for students at least. Last I checked, UK's endowment was like $700 million, while Cornell's was over $5 billion. Why can't I have free Windows, Cornell?
+1

Devila_C

New

Post by Devila_C » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:14 pm

danidancer wrote:
vexion wrote:Anyone going to be working out a lot in Ithaca? I've never been a gym rat... previously 100% of my exercise came from taekwondo class. I've looked for a way to keep it up at Cornell, but the undergraduate taekwondo club is stupid. I might have to learn to start running/lifting. :?
Per my username, I've already asked the dance dept about auditing classes. Which, if anyone else shares my interest, law students are totally welcome to participate in any and every dance dept. class, schedule permitting. Now I'm just crossing my fingers that my LS class schedule works with their class schedule.
Ooo dance classes sound interesting. I do wonder if we'll have time tho...:P

legallybrunette16

Bronze

Post by legallybrunette16 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:52 pm

danidancer wrote:
Per my username, I've already asked the dance dept about auditing classes. Which, if anyone else shares my interest, law students are totally welcome to participate in any and every dance dept. class, schedule permitting. Now I'm just crossing my fingers that my LS class schedule works with their class schedule.
count me in for dance classes! that would be a great stress reliever!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:15 pm

legallybrunette16 wrote:
danidancer wrote:
count me in for dance classes! that would be a great stress reliever!
Two of my sectionmates (2Ls) are competitive ballroom dancers -- and really good (as in, they win things.) They can probably offer advice on decent dance options in the area.

Ostrizr316

New

Post by Ostrizr316 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:10 pm

vexion wrote:
acdisagod wrote:Ill probably be working out a lot. I don't lift to get huge, just to stay in shape (I'm about 5'7" 155) so I'll see you at the gym. I also run a fair amount. BTW, if anyone plays any sports (or the semi sport of golf) and wants to plan a pickup game, send me a message on facebook
I'm 6'2" 220. The last time I made a concerted effort to lose weight, I actually lost about 15 pounds. But then school started back and I started frequenting the snack counter between classes, and over time I've put it all back on. I've never been really disciplined about personal fitness. :P

Also, I'll play football or, depending on how brotastic you're feeling, ultimate frisbee. I'm rubbish at everything else.
I'm definitely down for whatever. Since graduating and living the yuppie lifestyle I've been working out a lot more and have actually dropped 25 lbs. I've been doing everything from Social Dodgeball Leauges to Lunchtime Power Yoga to Spin Class, and I'm hoping cornell will have a lot of opportunities for that kind of stuff. I saw on ASD that there's an 8am yoga class in the squash ball court.

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:20 pm

mec30 wrote:
I will. I also got the climbing/bouldering wall enhancement. I'm hoping it's worth it.
I would be up for a regular weekly climbing session if anyone else is game. My fat ass needs to get back into shape.

fsohn

Bronze

Post by fsohn » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:08 pm

CyLaw wrote:
mec30 wrote:
I would be up for a regular weekly climbing session if anyone else is game. My fat ass needs to get back into shape.
Staying in shape during 1L is a challenge enough. Getting back into shape is probably a pipe dream.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:45 pm

fsohn wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
mec30 wrote:
Staying in shape during 1L is a challenge enough. Getting back into shape is probably a pipe dream.
:) That is what this summer is for.

And that is why I figured a weekly climb on Saturdays would at least let me pretend like I was working out.

holybartender

Bronze

Post by holybartender » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:38 pm

My Cornell shirt nearly got me beat up last night in a bathroom at a bar. As for sports, I'm down for anything. Love just playing pick up sports.

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:40 pm

holybartender wrote:My Cornell shirt nearly got me beat up last night in a bathroom at a bar. As for sports, I'm down for anything. Love just playing pick up sports.
Jeez. Are you still in Israel?

holybartender

Bronze

Post by holybartender » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:33 pm

Unfortunately no, this was Newport Beach. 3L study abroad in Tel Aviv anyone?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AdamatUCF

Bronze

Post by AdamatUCF » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:46 pm

holybartender wrote:My Cornell shirt nearly got me beat up last night in a bathroom at a bar.
This sounds like a story I want to hear.

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:54 pm

AdamatUCF wrote:
holybartender wrote:My Cornell shirt nearly got me beat up last night in a bathroom at a bar.
This sounds like a story I want to hear.
Seconded

klk

New

Post by klk » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:12 pm

Id also like to hear this fight story... and does anyone play tennis? Unsure of how long the weather in ithaca will allow outdoor play, but I'd be down to play...

holybartender

Bronze

Post by holybartender » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:44 am

Well, went down to Newport Beach with some friends for the weekend, since we're all about to go to random places for the next few years. I had worn my Cornell shirt to work and I didn't bother changing when I arrived as we were just going to some dive bar on the water to play pool and drink some pitchers. At some point in the night I go to the bathroom and while I'm pissing two other guys walk in. They're clearly hammered, staggering in and nearly falling into the sinks. I don't remember the conversation verbatim, as I wasn't too far behind them in drinks, but one guy in a thick Boston accent bellows "You're wearing that fucking shirt around us!?" Evidently one was from Harvard and the other was from Brown and they hate Cornell I guess? They started talking shit on Cornell so I insulted their sports teams, which in retrospect was probably a poor decision. One of them ultimately tries to get at me but the friend restrains him and I get the fuck out of there.

Probably not as interesting as you were expecting but there it is. I want school to start already.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:57 am

holybartender wrote:Well, went down to Newport Beach with some friends for the weekend, since we're all about to go to random places for the next few years. I had worn my Cornell shirt to work and I didn't bother changing when I arrived as we were just going to some dive bar on the water to play pool and drink some pitchers. At some point in the night I go to the bathroom and while I'm pissing two other guys walk in. They're clearly hammered, staggering in and nearly falling into the sinks. I don't remember the conversation verbatim, as I wasn't too far behind them in drinks, but one guy in a thick Boston accent bellows "You're wearing that fucking shirt around us!?" Evidently one was from Harvard and the other was from Brown and they hate Cornell I guess? They started talking shit on Cornell so I insulted their sports teams, which in retrospect was probably a poor decision. One of them ultimately tries to get at me but the friend restrains him and I get the fuck out of there.

Probably not as interesting as you were expecting but there it is. I want school to start already.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

awesome

I'm stoked for school to start too!

NeXP

New

Post by NeXP » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:26 am

As is mine and I'm working on the same issue. Do you intend to share one vehicle?

NeXP

New

Post by NeXP » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:59 am

Anyone else here local to either the NYC or DC metro areas? I'm toying with the idea of some sort of pre Ithaca meet-up in a few weeks.

acdisagod

Bronze

Post by acdisagod » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:17 am

Yea I'm from NYC. If people want to meet up that would be cool.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”