Duke Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Sun May 02, 2010 7:40 pm

thickfreakness wrote:I'm kinda wishing I did a dual degree so I could be starting school really soon instead of having to wait until August.


I feel ya, summer start is a good way to ease into it too. I wish I had the foresight to do the JD/MD, but I doubt I could get into Duke Medical School.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby thickfreakness » Sun May 02, 2010 7:43 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:I'm kinda wishing I did a dual degree so I could be starting school really soon instead of having to wait until August.


I feel ya, summer start is a good way to ease into it too. I wish I had the foresight to do the JD/MD, but I doubt I could get into Duke Medical School.


JD/MD is crazy. One of my friends at Emory knows a guy there who already has his MD and says his student debt burden will be around 650K when it's all said and done, and the guy is in his early 30s. That's just psychotic.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Sun May 02, 2010 7:50 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:I'm kinda wishing I did a dual degree so I could be starting school really soon instead of having to wait until August.


I feel ya, summer start is a good way to ease into it too. I wish I had the foresight to do the JD/MD, but I doubt I could get into Duke Medical School.


JD/MD is crazy. One of my friends at Emory knows a guy there who already has his MD and says his student debt burden will be around 650K when it's all said and done, and the guy is in his early 30s. That's just psychotic.


10 years public service = joke is on the government. You also only live once, so why not spend 10 years in college :mrgreen:

User avatar
rotflawl
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:31 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby rotflawl » Mon May 03, 2010 9:49 pm

1. I can't decide if I'm bored by or grateful for so few people in our class being on TLS.

2. Got my e-mail today! It was like unwrapping a Christmas present.

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Flanker1067 » Mon May 03, 2010 10:00 pm

rotflawl wrote:1. I can't decide if I'm bored by or grateful for so few people in our class being on TLS.

2. Got my e-mail today! It was like unwrapping a Christmas present.



I just joined the FB group today and was really surprised by how many of us are in there. Maybe that's why no one is on TLS.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Mon May 03, 2010 10:01 pm

rotflawl wrote:1. I can't decide if I'm bored by or grateful for so few people in our class being on TLS.

2. Got my e-mail today! It was like unwrapping a Christmas present.


:lol:

I am just worried that our c/o 2013 thread will be passed up by the Cornell thread. We can't let that happen.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby thickfreakness » Mon May 03, 2010 10:29 pm

Meh, TLS involvement is irrelevant. I feel guilty for still posting on here since I've finished the LSAT and have locked in my T14 offer. I'm super excited, too.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Mon May 03, 2010 10:34 pm

thickfreakness wrote:Meh, TLS involvement is irrelevant. I feel guilty for still posting on here since I've finished the LSAT and have locked in my T14 offer. I'm super excited, too.


Same here, posting/checking here is a bad habbit I need to kick. I don't even have any dire questions I can ask yall. I do need to figure out what happens to my UG Stafford loans though.

User avatar
rotflawl
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:31 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby rotflawl » Mon May 03, 2010 11:13 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:Meh, TLS involvement is irrelevant. I feel guilty for still posting on here since I've finished the LSAT and have locked in my T14 offer. I'm super excited, too.


Same here, posting/checking here is a bad habbit I need to kick. I don't even have any dire questions I can ask yall. I do need to figure out what happens to my UG Stafford loans though.


1. TLS involvement is quite relevant to my one-hour train ride to work. The book I bring to read is too heavy that early in the morning.

2. For Stafford, do you mean besides just deferring them? I hope that's all I need to do.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Tue May 04, 2010 9:00 am

rotflawl wrote:2. For Stafford, do you mean besides just deferring them? I hope that's all I need to do.


Ya I just need to find out how to defer them, and if subsidized stafford loans start to acrue interest if I defer them for law school. Thats what sucks about going to a large state university, it will take me hours to ever get to talk to a finaid person about what I should do.

User avatar
Reedie
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:46 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Reedie » Tue May 04, 2010 10:05 am

Jericwithers wrote:
rotflawl wrote:2. For Stafford, do you mean besides just deferring them? I hope that's all I need to do.


Ya I just need to find out how to defer them, and if subsidized stafford loans start to acrue interest if I defer them for law school. Thats what sucks about going to a large state university, it will take me hours to ever get to talk to a finaid person about what I should do.


Talk to Duke's finaid instead. And the deferment should be automagical.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Tue May 04, 2010 10:10 am

Reedie wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
rotflawl wrote:2. For Stafford, do you mean besides just deferring them? I hope that's all I need to do.


Ya I just need to find out how to defer them, and if subsidized stafford loans start to acrue interest if I defer them for law school. Thats what sucks about going to a large state university, it will take me hours to ever get to talk to a finaid person about what I should do.


Talk to Duke's finaid instead. And the deferment should be automagical.


I didn't even think to start taking advantage of the resoures at Duke. We should be getting some finaid info today so I will call them after that. Thanks.

User avatar
Reedie
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:46 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Reedie » Thu May 06, 2010 11:45 am

Falling off the first page would be shameful.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Thu May 06, 2010 2:45 pm

Reedie wrote:Falling off the first page would be shameful.

I guess its for the best though. At least when fall rolls around we will have something more interesting to talk about than "remember that 1 time on TLS!"

On a side note, is anyone able to apply for parking yet? The link on the ASW doesn't seem to work.

paralegal
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby paralegal » Thu May 06, 2010 2:50 pm

I'm a new poster to TLS. Been heavily researching Duke Law for months. Thought I'd post some interesting statistics on this thread since most of you are planning to attend.

Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz, one of the world's leading business law firms in NYC and consistantly ranked as one of the most prestigious and desirable law firms to work for in the U.S. has more associates from Duke Law (including a partner) than UVA Law, and currently no one from Michigan Law works there.

I work at a Vault Top 25 law firm (very prestigious - 200 attorneys) in California and we have many partners from Duke Law and many associates as well. Duke is highly regarded here by all. In fact, the recruiter here said our firm hires deeper into Duke's graduating class than we do at UVA's.

Obviously, all of these law schools are amazing. It's just that often on TLS, Duke is under represented, so I thought I'd post some facts.

Congratulations on Duke Law!!

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Fri May 07, 2010 10:10 pm

Always good to hear that my choice in law schools was a good gone.

I have a real question: what has everyone received in the mail since sending in their deposits? I have only gotten the netID letter, but DallasCowboys has talked about a packet filled with forms about immunization shots. Has everyone gotten this? My address was screwed up and I am afriad I missed out on important information, so thanks for the help.

paralegal
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby paralegal » Fri May 07, 2010 10:34 pm

Most recent packet I received included:

2010-2011 Cost of Attendance sheet

2010 Enrolled Student Information - this tells you about health insurance requirements, tuition payments, financial aid, immunization requirements, official transcripts (official transcripts of all UG work must be sent from your UG school and be on file at Duke Law prior to your arrival in order to meet the requirements of the ABA - transcripts submitted to LSAC are not sufficient for this purpose). Your UG transcript must indicate that you earned a B.A. degree.

Immunization Requirement form: a 3 part process to satisfy the immunization requirements:
1. complete the form, have it signed by health care provider
2. submit the info online
3. mail, fax, or scan/email the form to Duke student Health

User avatar
rotflawl
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:31 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby rotflawl » Fri May 07, 2010 10:44 pm

Jericwithers wrote:Always good to hear that my choice in law schools was a good gone.

I have a real question: what has everyone received in the mail since sending in their deposits? I have only gotten the netID letter, but DallasCowboys has talked about a packet filled with forms about immunization shots. Has everyone gotten this? My address was screwed up and I am afriad I missed out on important information, so thanks for the help.


Yes, I received that packet at the end of last week + NetID + travel reimbursement. There wasn't anything time sensitive (immunizations are due in the summer, I believe?), so you should be fine if you request a new packet to be sent next week.

paralegal
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby paralegal » Fri May 07, 2010 10:55 pm

Deadline for immunization requirements for fall starters is June 30.

User avatar
ObviouslyMasochistic
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 12:40 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby ObviouslyMasochistic » Sat May 08, 2010 9:18 am

paralegal wrote:Deadline for immunization requirements for fall starters is June 30.


Ha, not to make the medical people's lives harder, but that's definitely more of a guideline than a rule. I didn't turn mine in until Spring semester if I remember right. :)

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Sat May 08, 2010 1:33 pm

Got my immunization packet this morning, so I guess I am caught up now with everyone else. Thanks for the help!

User avatar
Reedie
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:46 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Reedie » Sun May 09, 2010 12:54 pm

All I have is my netid. I shall not fill out an immunization form, and infect you all!

User avatar
ObviouslyMasochistic
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 12:40 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby ObviouslyMasochistic » Sun May 09, 2010 1:12 pm

Just wanted to offer to answer any questions you all might have. I'm currently sitting in the Duke Law Library banging out a casenote before I head off for my summer job next week, so distractions are welcome!

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Sun May 09, 2010 1:13 pm

Reedie wrote:All I have is my netid. I shall not fill out an immunization form, and infect you all!


Wait, but we will be immunized from you infecting us. You are only hurting yourself.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Sun May 09, 2010 1:15 pm

ObviouslyMasochistic wrote:Just wanted to offer to answer any questions you all might have. I'm currently sitting in the Duke Law Library banging out a casenote before I head off for my summer job next week, so distractions are welcome!


I'd be interested in hearing about the details of your summer employment. Who, what, when, where, why, and how?




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest