Duke Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
4815162342
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:52 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby 4815162342 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:04 pm

Hey everyone. Just wanted to say that I'm in for the class of 2013. Look forward to seeing you all in the fall. Still trying to figure out housing. I have a wife and a baby, so my situation's a little unusual. thickfreakness, please report back your findings on your recon trip to Durham. You and I are already acquainted, BTW.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby thickfreakness » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:19 pm

4815162342 wrote:Hey everyone. Just wanted to say that I'm in for the class of 2013. Look forward to seeing you all in the fall. Still trying to figure out housing. I have a wife and a baby, so my situation's a little unusual. thickfreakness, please report back your findings on your recon trip to Durham. You and I are already acquainted, BTW.


Will do, Lost fan :wink:. As you already know, I'm very pumped that wife, baby, and you will be there next fall. Very much looking forward to it.

Also, any other married/engaged/living with SO folks that want my take on housing options I'll look at this week just shoot me a PM and I'll gladly provide it.

User avatar
rotflawl
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:31 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby rotflawl » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:24 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
rotflawl wrote:Hmm. Having second thoughts about exterior-access apt. living now, but there seem to be few controlled-access buildings. Has anyone visited West Village before?


What's wrong with exterior access? There is less echo from people talking outside your door, but besides that I don't see any benefit to it. Heating/cooling bills are more expensive, but at least you don't have to put up with a doorman or something similar to that.
--ImageRemoved--


This didn't dissuade me one bit. Seinfeld's one of my favorite shows, ahh. I will probably still PR it. I'm just nervous about leprechauns hiding in the stairway that leads to my apartment doorway. Leprechauns from the forest. That is all.

User avatar
rotflawl
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:31 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby rotflawl » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:25 pm

cavebat2000 wrote:It's official. I will be joining you all in the Fall! Sup classmates.


Sup!

User avatar
rotflawl
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:31 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby rotflawl » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:28 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
DallasCowboy wrote:I sent it all together.

PS we signed up for Pinnacle. So, everybody else, come join and find out if we get referral bonuses to split :).


Thanks. Heading to UPS now to make it official. What kind of split are you offering on the referral bonus? I'll make it 70/30 if they lease at my property instead! I am now worried about the reality of not being surrounded by other law school students 24/7.


Lol, deets on this referral talk, please. I should probably mail mine tomorrow, since it's been in my purse for a few days. At least I hope it's still there.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:37 pm

rotflawl wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
DallasCowboy wrote:I sent it all together.

PS we signed up for Pinnacle. So, everybody else, come join and find out if we get referral bonuses to split :).


Thanks. Heading to UPS now to make it official. What kind of split are you offering on the referral bonus? I'll make it 70/30 if they lease at my property instead! I am now worried about the reality of not being surrounded by other law school students 24/7.


Lol, deets on this referral talk, please. I should probably mail mine tomorrow, since it's been in my purse for a few days. At least I hope it's still there.


Seinfeld/Curb Your Enthusiasm is a great show (it is so hard to distinguish these two shows from each other, except that Curb takes place with George as the main character).

If when you sign up for a lease at an apartment and they ask you for who refereed you to that complex, many places give you $50 or some rent break to the person you list. I am willing to give whomever 70% of my referral bonus just so I can have another law student living in my complex and perhaps carpool together.

I got paranoid that my deposit wouldn't get there in time so I used FedEx to mail it. It will be there in 3 days and it only cost me $7.75. Paying $0.50 would have been better, but I procrastinated like you.

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7117
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby los blancos » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:48 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
rotflawl wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
DallasCowboy wrote:I sent it all together.

PS we signed up for Pinnacle. So, everybody else, come join and find out if we get referral bonuses to split :).


Thanks. Heading to UPS now to make it official. What kind of split are you offering on the referral bonus? I'll make it 70/30 if they lease at my property instead! I am now worried about the reality of not being surrounded by other law school students 24/7.


Lol, deets on this referral talk, please. I should probably mail mine tomorrow, since it's been in my purse for a few days. At least I hope it's still there.


Seinfeld/Curb Your Enthusiasm is a great show (it is so hard to distinguish these two shows from each other, except that Curb takes place with George as the main character).

If when you sign up for a lease at an apartment and they ask you for who refereed you to that complex, many places give you $50 or some rent break to the person you list. I am willing to give whomever 70% of my referral bonus just so I can have another law student living in my complex and perhaps carpool together.


j-dub, you're living at the new place we visited on the tour, right? if i end up going to duke, that's probably where i'll end up.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:03 pm

los blancos wrote:j-dub, you're living at the new place we visited on the tour, right? if i end up going to duke, that's probably where i'll end up.


Nope, the new place was Addington Farms I think. I am too poor to afford a 1bedroom there. The place I am at is right across the street (highway) from one of the places on the tour (Evergreen at Mt. Moriah). Colonial Grand at Patterson Place. Its a wash compared to going to PR, but I thought the units and grounds were nicer at CG@PP.

User avatar
rotflawl
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:31 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby rotflawl » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:11 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
los blancos wrote:j-dub, you're living at the new place we visited on the tour, right? if i end up going to duke, that's probably where i'll end up.


Nope, the new place was Addington Farms I think. I am too poor to afford a 1bedroom there. The place I am at is right across the street (highway) from one of the places on the tour (Evergreen at Mt. Moriah). Colonial Grand at Patterson Place. Its a wash compared to going to PR, but I thought the units and grounds were nicer at CG@PP.


Oh snap, I love brick. It looks as though only one panel of each building's siding is brick, though?

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:14 pm

rotflawl wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
los blancos wrote:j-dub, you're living at the new place we visited on the tour, right? if i end up going to duke, that's probably where i'll end up.


Nope, the new place was Addington Farms I think. I am too poor to afford a 1bedroom there. The place I am at is right across the street (highway) from one of the places on the tour (Evergreen at Mt. Moriah). Colonial Grand at Patterson Place. Its a wash compared to going to PR, but I thought the units and grounds were nicer at CG@PP.


Oh snap, I love brick. It looks as though only one panel of each building's siding is brick, though?


I think its brick all around the buildings at the bottom level like in the pictures, but everything above the 1st floor is that panel looking stuff.
EDIT: Or maybe 1st two stories are brick, I don't know. All I know is that it looked spiffy when I visited.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:50 pm

Something must be wrong with me: I am tracking my deposit as it makes its way to Duke like its a package I am expecting :|

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:31 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
rotflawl wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
DallasCowboy wrote:I sent it all together.

PS we signed up for Pinnacle. So, everybody else, come join and find out if we get referral bonuses to split :).


Thanks. Heading to UPS now to make it official. What kind of split are you offering on the referral bonus? I'll make it 70/30 if they lease at my property instead! I am now worried about the reality of not being surrounded by other law school students 24/7.


Lol, deets on this referral talk, please. I should probably mail mine tomorrow, since it's been in my purse for a few days. At least I hope it's still there.


Seinfeld/Curb Your Enthusiasm is a great show (it is so hard to distinguish these two shows from each other, except that Curb takes place with George as the main character).

If when you sign up for a lease at an apartment and they ask you for who refereed you to that complex, many places give you $50 or some rent break to the person you list. I am willing to give whomever 70% of my referral bonus just so I can have another law student living in my complex and perhaps carpool together.

I got paranoid that my deposit wouldn't get there in time so I used FedEx to mail it. It will be there in 3 days and it only cost me $7.75. Paying $0.50 would have been better, but I procrastinated like you.


I was definitely about one half of a beer away from placing a citation to a Seinfeld episode in my appellate brief when I used the words "airing of grievances."

User avatar
rotflawl
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:31 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby rotflawl » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:04 pm

Lol, Prez, is that 'tar your trying to inconspicuously carry said half beer around?

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:05 pm

rotflawl wrote:Lol, Prez, is that 'tar your trying to inconspicuously carry said half beer around?


Nah, but I do love me some coffee!

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:18 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:I was definitely about one half of a beer away from placing a citation to a Seinfeld episode in my appellate brief when I used the words "airing of grievances."

Do it
Image

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:20 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:I was definitely about one half of a beer away from placing a citation to a Seinfeld episode in my appellate brief when I used the words "airing of grievances."

Do it
Image


You have no idea how much I wanted to.

Didn't quite have the chutzpah.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:21 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:I was definitely about one half of a beer away from placing a citation to a Seinfeld episode in my appellate brief when I used the words "airing of grievances."

Do it
[Festivus]

You have no idea how much I wanted to.

Didn't quite have the chutzpah.


I wouldn't either.

gmichaelbluth
Posts: 172
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:35 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby gmichaelbluth » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:56 pm

Even though I am morally bound to hate this thread:), I do love me some Durham, and thought you guys might be interested to know that NY Times foodies do too:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/21/dinin ... olina.html

User avatar
rotflawl
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:31 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby rotflawl » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:06 pm

gmichaelbluth wrote:Even though I am morally bound to hate this thread:), I do love me some Durham, and thought you guys might be interested to know that NY Times foodies do too:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/21/dinin ... olina.html


Wow, thanks for this! :) Law school version of the Freshman 15 = confirmed.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:11 pm

rotflawl wrote:
gmichaelbluth wrote:Even though I am morally bound to hate this thread:), I do love me some Durham, and thought you guys might be interested to know that NY Times foodies do too:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/21/dinin ... olina.html


Wow, thanks for this! :) Law school version of the Freshman 15 = confirmed.


I have to admit that the rabbit didn't look that good to me :?

User avatar
rotflawl
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:31 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby rotflawl » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:27 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
rotflawl wrote:
gmichaelbluth wrote:Even though I am morally bound to hate this thread:), I do love me some Durham, and thought you guys might be interested to know that NY Times foodies do too:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/21/dinin ... olina.html


Wow, thanks for this! :) Law school version of the Freshman 15 = confirmed.


I have to admit that the rabbit didn't look that good to me :?


If only my stomach had discretion. Sigh.

User avatar
idiothek
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:18 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby idiothek » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:30 pm

so i'm putting my deposit down tomorrow

User avatar
rotflawl
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:31 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby rotflawl » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:36 pm

idiothek wrote:so i'm putting my deposit down tomorrow


Welcome aboard! Minus the temporary loss of $500, it's a great feeling. Did you attend the open house?

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:39 pm

idiothek wrote:so i'm putting my deposit down tomorrow

Ever wonder why they don't let us pay that $500 with our loans or scholarship money? Just another scheme to keep the not-so-well-off among us out of their ivory halls! Coming up with $500 cash isn't that easy. Payday loan ftl.

User avatar
idiothek
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:18 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby idiothek » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:45 pm

rotflawl wrote:
Welcome aboard! Minus the temporary loss of $500, it's a great feeling. Did you attend the open house?

nah i didn't go. good times?




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest