Duke Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby thickfreakness » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:14 pm

Jericwithers wrote:70%? Really? :roll: :lol:


Dead serious, my friend. Been to a few games at Vanderbilt and they absolutely take over the entire stadium, and this was in years when we were middle of the pack in the SEC because of probation and such. Coming off a national title there's no question that Bama fans will invade Durham with force come next fall.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:15 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:70%? Really? :roll: :lol:


Dead serious, my friend. Been to a few games at Vanderbilt and they absolutely take over the entire stadium, and this was in years when we were middle of the pack in the SEC because of probation and such. Coming off a national title there's no question that Bama fans will invade Durham with force come next fall.


Duke is a far cry from Vandy though. I just hope you are wrong, as I'll be the none-douche wearing blue :D

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7116
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby los blancos » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:22 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
rotflawl wrote:I'm getting super excited about this upcoming year! I'm glad I have a few weeks to recover from taxes (self-employment $uck$) before the deposit's due. Where's everyone thinking of living? I will prob PRidge it!


I went with Colonial Grand at Paterson Place, but staying at PR with all the other law students would probably be a better choice. I just didn't like the large difference in rents at PR (with no guarantee of any price level) and the discouragement of anything but 12 month leases. Don't be one of those people begging others to sublet their apartment during the summer, get a 10 month lease.


The whole living arrangement thing is what's making me nervous about riding WLs into the summer.

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7116
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby los blancos » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:23 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:
DallasCowboy wrote:My apartment will be the official Gator Club of Durham. I'm very torn on who to root for when 'Bama comes to Duke. I would really hate to lose to Saban a possible four times in a calendar year, but I love the SEC. Should be a moot point.



Duke needs all the help they can get. I guarantee that at least 70% of that stadium's going to be wearing crimson, myself included.


70%? Really? :roll: :lol:



I went to a similar UG, and we never really had home games of any sort. It was pretty much always an even split at best, and when tOSU came to town, our stadium was like 70% red.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:24 pm

los blancos wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
rotflawl wrote:I'm getting super excited about this upcoming year! I'm glad I have a few weeks to recover from taxes (self-employment $uck$) before the deposit's due. Where's everyone thinking of living? I will prob PRidge it!


I went with Colonial Grand at Paterson Place, but staying at PR with all the other law students would probably be a better choice. I just didn't like the large difference in rents at PR (with no guarantee of any price level) and the discouragement of anything but 12 month leases. Don't be one of those people begging others to sublet their apartment during the summer, get a 10 month lease.


The whole living arrangement thing is what's making me nervous about riding WLs into the summer.


There is only one waitlist I would take (Harvard, if I even get it) so I am not worried about it. I would only take your dream school off a waitlist (not just a better school or one you think you might like) because of the huge switching costs like apartments. There seems to be a lot of space in Durham though so waiting to the last moment will probably not cause you to lose too many good options and will probably yield good deals.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:26 pm

los blancos wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:
DallasCowboy wrote:My apartment will be the official Gator Club of Durham. I'm very torn on who to root for when 'Bama comes to Duke. I would really hate to lose to Saban a possible four times in a calendar year, but I love the SEC. Should be a moot point.



Duke needs all the help they can get. I guarantee that at least 70% of that stadium's going to be wearing crimson, myself included.


70%? Really? :roll: :lol:



I went to a similar UG, and we never really had home games of any sort. It was pretty much always an even split at best, and when tOSU came to town, our stadium was like 70% red.


Ya but I doubt Alabama is the 70% favorite at the game this fall. I'd even bet on it.

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7116
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby los blancos » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:35 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
Ya but I doubt Alabama is the 70% favorite at the game this fall. I'd even bet on it.



You're probably right, but only because Wallace Wade is tiny (~30k spectators). My UG has almost exactly the same enrollment as Duke and our stadium is almost 2x as big.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:37 pm

los blancos wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
Ya but I doubt Alabama is the 70% favorite at the game this fall. I'd even bet on it.



You're probably right, but only because Wallace Wade is tiny (~30k spectators). My UG has almost exactly the same enrollment as Duke and our stadium is almost 2x as big.


yay I am probably right, even if it is on a technicality. I'll take it.

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7116
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby los blancos » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:43 pm


User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:47 pm

los blancos wrote:http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USNC0192

I'm in love.


The lows are a bit too low for my tastes, but the average weather looks spectacularly sunny.

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7116
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby los blancos » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:00 am

Jericwithers wrote:
los blancos wrote:http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USNC0192

I'm in love.


The lows are a bit too low for my tastes, but the average weather looks spectacularly sunny.


Yeah, I noticed that there seems to be a pretty large temperature variation. Given that I'll be sleeping earlier than I did in UG, I don't mind that too much. If anything, I like when nights are cold because it helps me sleep. My perfect day is 75-80 high with a 50 low around 2-3am.

The weather is probably one the largest factors why I won't be too torn up over the inevitable Chicago WL.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:02 am

los blancos wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
los blancos wrote:http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USNC0192

I'm in love.


The lows are a bit too low for my tastes, but the average weather looks spectacularly sunny.


Yeah, I noticed that there seems to be a pretty large temperature variation. Given that I'll be sleeping earlier than I did in UG, I don't mind that too much. If anything, I like when nights are cold because it helps me sleep. My perfect day is 75-80 high with a 50 low around 2-3am.


Agreed, cold nights save on sleeping AC bills. Duke keeps getting better and better.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:14 pm

So since I have withdrawn from all my other accepted schools I have no other forums to troll.

Feed me :(

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7116
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby los blancos » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Jericwithers wrote:So since I have withdrawn from all my other accepted schools



Ditto. I only had to withdraw from UT-Austin.
:mrgreen:

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:13 pm

los blancos wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:So since I have withdrawn from all my other accepted schools



Ditto. I only had to withdraw from UT-Austin.
:mrgreen:


Did you get the email this morning saying 'Uhm since you didn't deposit we have CANCELED your application--dick' or did you get it done before that?

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7116
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby los blancos » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:16 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
los blancos wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:So since I have withdrawn from all my other accepted schools



Ditto. I only had to withdraw from UT-Austin.
:mrgreen:


Did you get the email this morning saying 'Uhm since you didn't deposit we have CANCELED your application--dick' or did you get it done before that?


No, I withdrew on Wednesday and got a short but pleasant response. Overall, I was impressed with UT's admissions office throughout this process.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:23 pm

los blancos wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
los blancos wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:So since I have withdrawn from all my other accepted schools



Ditto. I only had to withdraw from UT-Austin.
:mrgreen:


Did you get the email this morning saying 'Uhm since you didn't deposit we have CANCELED your application--dick' or did you get it done before that?


No, I withdrew on Wednesday and got a short but pleasant response. Overall, I was impressed with UT's admissions office throughout this process.


Ya I was too, very quick turnaround. Accepted within 2 days and got my matching request approved within 2 days as well. The UT@UT ASD was just laaame, but I guess that was because I wanted to leave to start spring break and I was more excited about going to LA in 2 days. Duke's was better in my opinion: the constant emails and contact were nice and kept Duke on my mind constantly.

I am still waiting for my travel stipend though :? Anyone else?

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby thickfreakness » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:29 pm

Jericwithers wrote:I am still waiting for my travel stipend though :? Anyone else?


Yep. I think the admissions office might be just a little bit busy right now, though. Also, the request probably has to run through the Bursar's office so that's likely going to delay things a little bit, since they have to cut the checks and mail them out.

User avatar
rotflawl
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:31 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby rotflawl » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:32 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:I am still waiting for my travel stipend though :? Anyone else?


Yep. I think the admissions office might be just a little bit busy right now, though. Also, the request probably has to run through the Bursar's office so that's likely going to delay things a little bit, since they have to cut the checks and mail them out.


Just mailed mine in on Friday. Somehow, writing out mileage on a piece of paper took me a month to get done.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:41 pm

I just remembered that I had them mail my check to my permanent address, so I should quit compulsively checking my mail.

Anyone mailed off their deposit yet, or only overnighted through FedEx/UPS? I am probably going to send mine off this week once Harvard rejects me.

User avatar
rotflawl
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:31 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby rotflawl » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:44 pm

Jericwithers wrote:I just remembered that I had them mail my check to my permanent address, so I should quit compulsively checking my mail.

Anyone mailed off their deposit yet, or only overnighted through FedEx/UPS? I am probably going to send mine off this week once Harvard rejects me.


Not yet...! I want closure with Stanford first. I assume my inevitable rejection and/or waitlist will arrive shortly. I'll probably ride out my Harvard WL for a couple of months, though I much prefer Duke atmosphere-wise.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:47 pm

rotflawl wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:I just remembered that I had them mail my check to my permanent address, so I should quit compulsively checking my mail.

Anyone mailed off their deposit yet, or only overnighted through FedEx/UPS? I am probably going to send mine off this week once Harvard rejects me.


Not yet...! I want closure with Stanford first. I assume my inevitable rejection and/or waitlist will arrive shortly. I'll probably ride out my Harvard WL for a couple of months, though I much prefer Duke atmosphere-wise.


I too needed closure with Stanford and Harvard, and by the end of this week I predict I will get it. I would take Harvard off the waitlist too, but I won't hold out for it or even think about it while I am getting setup to go to Duke.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:23 pm

$640 for a 1bd/1ba 10 month lease at Pinnacle, not bad. Lease starts 5 days before orientation. I knew I should have waited to get an apartment.

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7116
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby los blancos » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:24 am

Jericwithers wrote:$640 for a 1bd/1ba 10 month lease at Pinnacle, not bad. Lease starts 5 days before orientation. I knew I should have waited to get an apartment.


I might just jump on an apartment even if I end up sticking with waitlists through the summer.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:15 pm

los blancos wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:$640 for a 1bd/1ba 10 month lease at Pinnacle, not bad. Lease starts 5 days before orientation. I knew I should have waited to get an apartment.


I might just jump on an apartment even if I end up sticking with waitlists through the summer.


That would be the smartest thing to do, but wait till June before getting an apartment. Most waitlist activity is in May/June right?




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest