Duke Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:46 pm

:mrgreen:



<---------



Dean Hoye is a stand up guy. He was able to get the scholarship committee people in the same room today and go over my greedy request for more and they gave me $7,500. I'll just have to pay them back for it by being apart of the recruiting effort next year :D

See everyone in the fall!!
Last edited by Jericwithers on Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:51 pm, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby prezidentv8 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:48 pm

Jericwithers wrote:<---------

Dean Hoye is a stand up guy. He was able to get the scholarship committee people in the same room today and go over my greedy request for more and they gave me $7,500. I'll just have to pay them back for it by being apart of the recruiting effort next year :D

See everyone in the fall!!


NICE!

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Sauer Grapes » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:02 pm

Jericwithers wrote::mrgreen:



<---------



Dean Hoye is a stand up guy. He was able to get the scholarship committee people in the same room today and go over my greedy request for more and they gave me $7,500. I'll just have to pay them back for it by being apart of the recruiting effort next year :D

See everyone in the fall!!

Congrats man!

User avatar
DallasCowboy
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:47 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby DallasCowboy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:12 pm

Congrats....I wonder where they are getting that little 7500 spree from. Why couldn't I just get the 75k I so dearly wanted

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:20 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:Congrats....I wonder where they are getting that little 7500 spree from. Why couldn't I just get the 75k I so dearly wanted


Because if you got $15k more then I wouldn't have gotten anything. Best to share, right? I'll tell ya what: drinks are on me once I am old enough to get into that 23+ bar lol :oops:

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7117
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby los blancos » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:32 pm

Jericwithers wrote::mrgreen:



<---------



Dean Hoye is a stand up guy. He was able to get the scholarship committee people in the same room today and go over my greedy request for more and they gave me $7,500. I'll just have to pay them back for it by being apart of the recruiting effort next year :D

See everyone in the fall!!


Congrats man. Did you feel you had to leverage your UT offer? I withdrew, so I don't really have any latitude with Duke.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:35 pm

los blancos wrote:Congrats man. Did you feel you had to leverage your UT offer? I withdrew, so I don't really have any latitude with Duke.


Pretty much, yes. I wasn't deserving of any more except for the fact that UT made themselves $60k cheaper. They try not to lose people because of the cost of attending it seems. They were real great about dealing with the Texas deadline today, and I am grateful that he got the scholarship committee together today just to talk about my file so they could get back to me before the deadline. It is the thought that really counts.

strokes788
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:09 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby strokes788 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:53 pm

Jericwithers wrote::mrgreen:



<---------



Dean Hoye is a stand up guy. He was able to get the scholarship committee people in the same room today and go over my greedy request for more and they gave me $7,500. I'll just have to pay them back for it by being apart of the recruiting effort next year :D

See everyone in the fall!!


That guy is seriously a class act. Really felt like I could not go wrong choosing Duke as long as him (and Dean Levi) are around. Congrats on the extra 7500! I also can't help but have a little Dean Hoye bias given he was the former associate dean of the law school at my alma mater too

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:59 pm

strokes788 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote::mrgreen:



<---------



Dean Hoye is a stand up guy. He was able to get the scholarship committee people in the same room today and go over my greedy request for more and they gave me $7,500. I'll just have to pay them back for it by being apart of the recruiting effort next year :D

See everyone in the fall!!


That guy is seriously a class act. Really felt like I could not go wrong choosing Duke as long as him (and Dean Levi) are around. Congrats on the extra 7500! I also can't help but have a little Dean Hoye bias given he was the former associate dean of the law school at my alma mater too


Big plus 1 to props for him and Levi, and thank you. Have respect and admiration is an important thing for your school, and I am a big proponent of drinking the koolaid of whatever school you do end up attending in order to be as happy as possible. Luckily, the koolaid at Duke goes down easy and is very tasty :mrgreen:

User avatar
rotflawl
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:31 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby rotflawl » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:21 pm

I'm getting super excited about this upcoming year! I'm glad I have a few weeks to recover from taxes (self-employment $uck$) before the deposit's due. Where's everyone thinking of living? I will prob PRidge it!

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:32 pm

rotflawl wrote:I'm getting super excited about this upcoming year! I'm glad I have a few weeks to recover from taxes (self-employment $uck$) before the deposit's due. Where's everyone thinking of living? I will prob PRidge it!


I went with Colonial Grand at Paterson Place, but staying at PR with all the other law students would probably be a better choice. I just didn't like the large difference in rents at PR (with no guarantee of any price level) and the discouragement of anything but 12 month leases. Don't be one of those people begging others to sublet their apartment during the summer, get a 10 month lease.

HeadingWest
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby HeadingWest » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:17 pm

Hey guys! First, sorry about the username--before being blown away by Duke at the ASW, I was planning on living up to the 'heading west' promise. But the awesomeness of the other admits at the ASW and Duke's environmental program made me into a dirty liar :)

Anyway, I just sent in my seat deposit and started thinking about housing with rotflawl's post. How are you guys going about looking for roommates at Pinnacle Ridge? After going to school in NYC, the housing situation looks amazing with 2 people! Feel free to send me a PM if there is a chance you might be looking to split an apartment.

P.S. Male, pretty relaxed about everything, triathlete, environmental law at Duke

User avatar
DallasCowboy
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:47 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby DallasCowboy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:48 pm

rotflawl wrote:I'm getting super excited about this upcoming year! I'm glad I have a few weeks to recover from taxes (self-employment $uck$) before the deposit's due. Where's everyone thinking of living? I will prob PRidge it!


I like the intensity.
I'm about to sign PRidge with a guy I met at a bar (seriously).

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:50 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:
rotflawl wrote:I'm getting super excited about this upcoming year! I'm glad I have a few weeks to recover from taxes (self-employment $uck$) before the deposit's due. Where's everyone thinking of living? I will prob PRidge it!


I like the intensity.
I'm about to sign PRidge with a guy I met at a bar (seriously).


Lol that is always a good idea. You P-ridge people better invite me over during whatever crazy 1L law school stuff that happens there.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby thickfreakness » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:00 pm

I'm heading back on the 22nd through 25th to look for housing, but probably looking for something other than an apartment.

User avatar
rotflawl
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:31 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby rotflawl » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:01 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
DallasCowboy wrote:
rotflawl wrote:I'm getting super excited about this upcoming year! I'm glad I have a few weeks to recover from taxes (self-employment $uck$) before the deposit's due. Where's everyone thinking of living? I will prob PRidge it!


I like the intensity.
I'm about to sign PRidge with a guy I met at a bar (seriously).


Lol that is always a good idea. You P-ridge people better invite me over during whatever crazy 1L law school stuff that happens there.


Of course! Kudos to those getting roommates, btw. I am too neat for everyone I've resided with, so that's a no-go for me. (I am nervous about the crime while living alone, though, which is hilarious considering my UG.)

Is there an NCAA fanatical football watching that can be started? Actually, maybe I should forego cable; ESPN will distract from reading.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby thickfreakness » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:06 pm

rotflawl wrote:Is there an NCAA fanatical football watching that can be started? Actually, maybe I should forego cable; ESPN will distract from reading.


Hell yes there is, and I'll be in the middle of it. Roll tide.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:06 pm

rotflawl wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
DallasCowboy wrote:
rotflawl wrote:I'm getting super excited about this upcoming year! I'm glad I have a few weeks to recover from taxes (self-employment $uck$) before the deposit's due. Where's everyone thinking of living? I will prob PRidge it!


I like the intensity.
I'm about to sign PRidge with a guy I met at a bar (seriously).


Lol that is always a good idea. You P-ridge people better invite me over during whatever crazy 1L law school stuff that happens there.


Of course! Kudos to those getting roommates, btw. I am too neat for everyone I've resided with, so that's a no-go for me. (I am nervous about the crime while living alone, though, which is hilarious considering my UG.)

Is there an NCAA fanatical football watching that can be started? Actually, maybe I should forego cable; ESPN will distract from reading.


I'll join, but only when Texas is playing :twisted: I've been living alone for the past 2 years and 1L year is too important to have to deal with a whole new living arrangement (read: distractions).

User avatar
DallasCowboy
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:47 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby DallasCowboy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:09 pm

My apartment will be the official Gator Club of Durham. I'm very torn on who to root for when 'Bama comes to Duke. I would really hate to lose to Saban a possible four times in a calendar year, but I love the SEC. Should be a moot point.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby thickfreakness » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:10 pm

Also, just want to add that's it's awesome to be an alumnus of the reigning national champs in football and a soon-to-be-student of the men's basketball champs simultaneously (and not have to go to UF, ugh).

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby thickfreakness » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:11 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:My apartment will be the official Gator Club of Durham. I'm very torn on who to root for when 'Bama comes to Duke. I would really hate to lose to Saban a possible four times in a calendar year, but I love the SEC. Should be a moot point.



Duke needs all the help they can get. I guarantee that at least 70% of that stadium's going to be wearing crimson, myself included.

User avatar
rotflawl
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:31 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby rotflawl » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:12 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
rotflawl wrote:Is there an NCAA fanatical football watching that can be started? Actually, maybe I should forego cable; ESPN will distract from reading.


Hell yes there is, and I'll be in the middle of it. Roll tide.


2010: Trojans' return to glory! Mark it.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:13 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
DallasCowboy wrote:My apartment will be the official Gator Club of Durham. I'm very torn on who to root for when 'Bama comes to Duke. I would really hate to lose to Saban a possible four times in a calendar year, but I love the SEC. Should be a moot point.



Duke needs all the help they can get. I guarantee that at least 70% of that stadium's going to be wearing crimson, myself included.


70%? Really? :roll: :lol:

User avatar
DallasCowboy
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:47 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby DallasCowboy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:16 pm

For all of us rejected from Stanford: we can exact revenge on the gridiron in '11 in Durham or '12 there. Save those letters so we can burn them en masse.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:22 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:For all of us rejected from Stanford: we can exact revenge on the gridiron in '11 in Durham or '12 there. Save those letters so we can burn them en masse.


Deal.

Did anyone notice all the litter on the Duke statue when the ASD was going on? Is it some kind of march madness tradition, or do people really just drop 6 packs of mountain dew there all the time?




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest