Duke Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
rotflawl

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby rotflawl » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:40 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
rotflawl wrote:Just joined the FB group! It's feeling official...

Now we can out you. I joined it last week, but with Texas I would feel like an ass leaving it lol. Called finaid today to see if they could throw an increase my way but they were in a meeting and never called back. I hope they can give me an answer within 2 days :?

I need to get my Duke Law avatar ready just in case that they do :D

Hope it works out :)

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:58 pm

So Duke dropped a place in the rankings....any withdraws/buyers remorse?

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:00 pm

Jericwithers wrote:So Duke dropped a place in the rankings....any withdraws/buyers remorse?

lolwut? Look at the overall scores and the reputation scores. Duke (and NW) are still basically peer schools of MVBP. I'd be a little nervous if I was taking GULC or Cornell at this point, though.

Edit: Also, if Duke engaged in the kind of ED splitter gaming that UVA did to increase medians it probably could have held serve in a tie at 10. I rather like Duke's reputation for liking higher GPAs and people who want to be at Duke (with the emphasis on the Why Duke essay).

rotflawl

Postby rotflawl » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:05 pm

Jericwithers wrote:So Duke dropped a place in the rankings....any withdraws/buyers remorse?

100% employment, though! EVERYONE CAN HAS JOB!!! Coach K guarantee!

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:11 pm

thickfreakness wrote:

lolwut? Look at the overall scores and the reputation scores. Duke (and NW) are still basically peer schools of MVBP. I'd be a little nervous if I was taking GULC or Cornell at this point, though.

Edit: Also, if Duke engaged in the kind of ED splitter gaming that UVA did to increase medians it probably could have held serve in a tie at 10. I rather like Duke's reputation for liking higher GPAs and people who want to be at Duke (with the emphasis on the Why Duke essay).

Haha :D True to the fanboy-ism! I'm with ya all the way, but it still hurts to no longer be able to say 'top 10' to the laymen. I guess being able to say 'Duke' will have to suffice. Or 'national champions.'

100% employment? So long as I don't end up as Coach K's towel boy.

EDIT: Wow that 100% employment rate was the only in the top 50. Very impressive.

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:15 pm

Bummer to graduate Yale 200k in the hole and not find a job. Duke is the best because of those stats! Now I am officially shut out of the T10 lol.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:27 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:Bummer to graduate Yale 200k in the hole and not find a job. Duke is the best because of those stats! Now I am officially shut out of the T10 lol.

Was feeling good about your post until you reminded me that I was shut out of T10 too :(

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:52 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:Bummer to graduate Yale 200k in the hole and not find a job. Duke is the best because of those stats! Now I am officially shut out of the T10 lol.

T10 may sound good when you call your grandma, but the equivalent job placement, rep scores, etc. will sound good when your law firm calls you back.

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:55 pm

"More than 3,500 on-campus interviews were conducted with 221 second-year students during fall 2009. Students averaged 18-20 interviews each; many received multiple offers."

http://www.law.duke.edu/admitted/career/opendoors

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:05 am

So all 18-20 of my interviews should be with Texas firms, but I guess with the lotto system that probably won't happen.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:48 pm

Dean Hoye got back to me today, and all I can say is that he is the great guy he appeared to be at the ASD lol. Even though he gave me little hope of getting more money, I still appreciate the kindness and enthusiasm he expressed himself with (not to mention still working at 9:30). I have 24 hours to decide about Texas, and Hoye said that the scholarship committe doesn't mean again till Monday but will try to get some people together tomorrow. I might just pay Texas $200 and postpone my decision for another 2 weeks. I'll find out tomorrow!

....my Duke Law avatar is still waiting on the bench wanting to be put in the game!

Boba Fett

Postby Boba Fett » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:32 pm

Jericwithers wrote:Dean Hoye got back to me today, and all I can say is that he is the great guy he appeared to be at the ASD lol. Even though he gave me little hope of getting more money, I still appreciate the kindness and enthusiasm he expressed himself with (not to mention still working at 9:30). I have 24 hours to decide about Texas, and Hoye said that the scholarship committe doesn't mean again till Monday but will try to get some people together tomorrow. I might just pay Texas $200 and postpone my decision for another 2 weeks. I'll find out tomorrow!

....my Duke Law avatar is still waiting on the bench wanting to be put in the game!

freudian slip?

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:00 pm

Boba Fett wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:Dean Hoye got back to me today, and all I can say is that he is the great guy he appeared to be at the ASD lol. Even though he gave me little hope of getting more money, I still appreciate the kindness and enthusiasm he expressed himself with (not to mention still working at 9:30). I have 24 hours to decide about Texas, and Hoye said that the scholarship committe doesn't mean again till Monday but will try to get some people together tomorrow. I might just pay Texas $200 and postpone my decision for another 2 weeks. I'll find out tomorrow!

freudian slip?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjnD6NdC3e4

Game, set, match.

Boba Fett

Postby Boba Fett » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:51 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
Boba Fett wrote:

freudian slip?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjnD6NdC3e4

Game, set, match.

--ImageRemoved--

insidethetwenty

Postby insidethetwenty » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:38 am

Duke's Golf Course named in the Top 10 Courses You Can Play in North Carolina!

For all the golfers that may be heading up Durham-way...

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:26 am

insidethetwenty wrote:Duke's Golf Course named in the Top 10 Courses You Can Play in North Carolina!

I was excited to be 70 miles from Pinehurst, until I checked out the $300+ green fee

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:28 am

DallasCowboy wrote:
insidethetwenty wrote:Duke's Golf Course named in the Top 10 Courses You Can Play in North Carolina!

I was excited to be 70 miles from Pinehurst, until I checked out the $300+ green fee

First games on you, I'll get the 2nd?

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:40 am

Jericwithers wrote:
DallasCowboy wrote:

Naw guys it's cool I'll buy all the rounds.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:44 am

thickfreakness wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
DallasCowboy wrote:

Naw guys it's cool I'll buy all the rounds.

Deposited at Duke :D

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:05 am

Jericwithers wrote:Deposited at Duke :D

So UT is a no-go, you're coming to Duke? That's exciting.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:08 am

thickfreakness wrote:

Yes but you have to come through on your contract. I deposit at Duke, you buy rounds. I think this contract will hold from the 1 contracts class I have taken at ASDs.

I think the $45k difference for Duke is well worth it, and if Duke is going to give me more money they will do it regardless of whether I have given UT $200 to show I am serious. I'll use that $200 for my TexasExes membership instead.

soullesswonder

Postby soullesswonder » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:12 am

Jericwithers wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:

Yes but you have to come through on your contract. I deposit at Duke, you buy rounds. I think this contract will hold from the 1 contracts class I have taken at ASDs.

I think the $45k difference for Duke is well worth it, and if Duke is going to give me more money they will do it regardless of whether I have given UT $200 to show I am serious. I'll use that $200 for my TexasExes membership instead.

Congratulations. I had just about written Duke off as an option for me, but now it seems they're back in the mix. Anybody offering to buy me a round if I commit? 8)

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:13 am

soullesswonder wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:

Congratulations. I had just about written Duke off as an option for me, but now it seems they're back in the mix. Anybody offering to buy me a round if I commit? 8)

That offer is only good for me. Take one of your full rides somewhere and be happy! You can buy a lot of rounds with no tuition to worry about.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:16 am

Apparently you guys don't know what sarcasm is. NO GOLF FOR YOU

soullesswonder

Postby soullesswonder » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:17 am

Jericwithers wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:

That offer is only good for me. Take one of your full rides somewhere and be happy! You can buy a lot of rounds with no tuition to worry about.

Yeah, but that's the thing...Duke's now offering to make me a Mordecai :D

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”