Duke Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Jericwithers

Gold

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Post by Jericwithers » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:56 pm

thickfreakness wrote:My wife is REALLY not wanting an apartment. That place did look nice, though. Also, get a car you bum.
I have a car; thank you very much. Carpooling is the way to go though, its cheaper and the spots are closer. I will just have to carpool with the guy going to Fuqua business school who leased there. HIS wife didn't seem so picky!

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:57 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:My wife is REALLY not wanting an apartment. That place did look nice, though. Also, get a car you bum.
I have a car; thank you very much. Carpooling is the way to go though, its cheaper and the spots are closer. I will just have to carpool with the guy going to Fuqua business school who leased there. HIS wife didn't seem so picky!

Screw carpooling. I'm driving my Excursion and parking it on the law school's lawn everyday.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:00 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

Screw carpooling. I'm driving my Excursion and parking it on the law school's lawn everyday.
You will be parking in the green zone, actually. I'll be in the chemistry lot right across the street from the law school. Don't worry, just schedule your classes for after 5:30 so you can park in the law school's lot. Oh wait...Duke doesn't allow you to pick your classes.

I really hope nobody here is in my small writing class section. It just might be too awkward not being able to hide behind my avatar anymore.

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:03 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

Weak. I'd drive that Excursion over to UNC Law every morning, block the main entry with it, and then catch a bus over to Duke.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:06 pm

soullesswonder wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

Weak. I'd drive that Excursion over to UNC Law every morning, block the main entry with it, and then catch a bus over to Duke.
Hell yes. Just make sure there's an airbrushed image of the 2009-2010 Duke Men's Basketball Team with Coach K, cutting down the nets, and the national championship trophy painted mural-style all over the Excursion first.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:08 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
Also, I'm gonna get a carpool pass and just buy a couple of blow-up dolls to ride with me everyday. I remember when I lived in Houston my dad told me about some guy getting pulled over doing that, but that was over 10 years ago. With the recent developments in blow-up doll quality and some nice clothes I should be able to pull it off.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:11 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
Also, I'm gonna get a carpool pass and just buy a couple of blow-up dolls to ride with me everyday. I remember when I lived in Houston my dad told me about some guy getting pulled over doing that, but that was over 10 years ago. With the recent developments in blow-up doll quality and some nice clothes I should be able to pull it off.
That stuff happens all the time lol http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/met ... 13161.html

Even if you don't block the UNC entrance you should get that airbrushing for your 3 years at Duke.

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:02 pm

I'm parking my jeep in the woods behind the law school. And who cares if people know who you are, unless you have over 1000 posts...oh....

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:07 pm

Did anyone hear anything about Duke tinkering with its LRAP? I ask b/c UVA just announced that they were strengthening theirs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:36 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:I'm parking my jeep in the woods behind the law school. And who cares if people know who you are, unless you have over 1000 posts...oh....
To be fair, half of my posts are either attacking Alabama/Florida or defending Texas football.
soullesswonder wrote:Did anyone hear anything about Duke tinkering with its LRAP? I ask b/c UVA just announced that they were strengthening theirs.
In the PI/Pro Bono program someone asked if Duke was going to change it, but they said they don't know and that is financial aid territory. They said that the program as it stands is strong because it allows you to use the federal system to cut payments down to 10% and then Duke gives you money to make payments based on your income. However, they said that they are going to let the 'dust settle' on federal changes and see what ends up with that and then change their LRAP. In the next 3 years it will change, but nothing before we have to make a decision :? LRAP is such a confusing process to me, and I don't even know what Duke's program currently is.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:26 pm

soullesswonder wrote:Did anyone hear anything about Duke tinkering with its LRAP? I ask b/c UVA just announced that they were strengthening theirs.
In FinAid counseling I was informed that John Ahlers has come up with a new proposal based on IBR that will be submitted for approval sometime in the near future. I didn't get any details other than that, and the person's opinion that it's going to be better than the current one. I think if you are really curious you should e-mail him, as it seems like LRAP is almost entirely his project.

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:11 am

fyi, Duke now has 3 SCOTUS hires for the upcoming term...Dukies cleaning up!

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:11 am

Jericwithers wrote:I really hope nobody here is in my small writing class section. It just might be too awkward not being able to hide behind my avatar anymore.
It doesn't matter, I'm going to out you to the entire 1L class during orientation. hth

Oh, and the wind chill is 30 right now where I am. That's a severe winter day in Durham (which is 40 degrees warmer right now). Leaving winter and crappy weather behind FTMFW.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:54 am

los blancos wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:I really hope nobody here is in my small writing class section. It just might be too awkward not being able to hide behind my avatar anymore.
It doesn't matter, I'm going to out you to the entire 1L class during orientation. hth

Oh, and the wind chill is 30 right now where I am. That's a severe winter day in Durham (which is 40 degrees warmer right now). Leaving winter and crappy weather behind FTMFW.
Yes, I'M the one who should be worried about being outed :wink:

So they got a 3rd SCOTUS clerk? I've read about the first two, but maybe Duke is running a buy 2 get 1 free offer.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:07 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
los blancos wrote:

You don't know my name, fool. I know yours. :twisted:

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:32 pm

los blancos wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
los blancos wrote:

You don't know my name, fool. I know yours. :twisted:
Oh....sure, but just because I couldn't find you at the ASD doesn't mean you won't be easy to pick out of the 200 people who do enroll. I don't have as much to lose as you. People won't like me regardless, but I could still ruin things for you.

rotflawl

New

Post by rotflawl » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:18 pm

Strong chance I'll be at Duke in the fall! If so, I'll be rocking all black at the b-ball and lax games, since I have allegiances elsewhere. (No need to worry about their "football" team.) I became quite enamored of the place at ASO, though. I sat at the table with the lunch-time faculty speaker, and she's phenomenal.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:22 pm

rotflawl wrote:Strong chance I'll be at Duke in the fall! If so, I'll be rocking all black at the b-ball and lax games, since I have allegiances elsewhere. (No need to worry about their "football" team.) I became quite enamored of the place at ASO, though. I sat at the table with the lunch-time faculty speaker, and she's phenomenal.
Good to have you aboard. I couldn't even hear the speech that lady gave since I was sitting on the edge of the hall, oh well...it was about lying right?

jsanchez13

New

Post by jsanchez13 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:35 pm

Anyone else looking at Alexan Garrett Farms...the new apartments on Durham-Chapel Hill Dr. about 10 min from LS? They are still in build mode. Went by there yesterday and they haven't even occupied the leasing office, but they look nice and a good price. Just wondering if they are going to be done in time for a summer start. Any thoughts?

Where are other summer starters looking?

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:43 pm

jsanchez13 wrote:Anyone else looking at Alexan Garrett Farms...the new apartments on Durham-Chapel Hill Dr. about 10 min from LS? They are still in build mode. Went by there yesterday and they haven't even occupied the leasing office, but they look nice and a good price. Just wondering if they are going to be done in time for a summer start. Any thoughts?

My advice? Sub let someone's apartment. You do them a favor, can get a really good deal, and meet a person who would be more than willing to give you advice for law school. Then take a 10 month lease at Alexan Garrett.

jsanchez13

New

Post by jsanchez13 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:54 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
jsanchez13 wrote:Anyone else looking at Alexan Garrett Farms...the new apartments on Durham-Chapel Hill Dr. about 10 min from LS? They are still in build mode. Went by there yesterday and they haven't even occupied the leasing office, but they look nice and a good price. Just wondering if they are going to be done in time for a summer start. Any thoughts?

My advice? Sub let someone's apartment. You do them a favor, can get a really good deal, and meet a person who would be more than willing to give you advice for law school. Then take a 10 month lease at Alexan Garrett.

I thought about that, but I will need a 2/2 place without a roommate. If Alexan isn't open by mid-May, I will look to sublet. Just don't fancy moving again before fall. I will be moving to Durham without my family, but they will probably visit alot on the weekends. Got to have room for the wife and two kids.

I do agree with your carpool position though. I've done carpools in the past that worked well; however, you have to find someone with similar routines and ideas.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:15 pm

jsanchez13 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

I thought about that, but I will need a 2/2 place without a roommate. If Alexan isn't open by mid-May, I will look to sublet. Just don't fancy moving again before fall. I will be moving to Durham without my family, but they will probably visit alot on the weekends. Got to have room for the wife and two kids.

I do agree with your carpool position though. I've done carpools in the past that worked well; however, you have to find someone with similar routines and ideas.
Thanks, my liberal view points are vindicated!

--LinkRemoved--
2/2's are possible, but I can understand not wanting to move twice. One of the only things I learned from business school is that things always take longer than scheduled and cost more, but around May you should be able to find nice complexes willing to fill those last units for 12 months if Alexan goes into extra innings. Good luck, and I hope that your summer start won't preclude you from being in my classes and giving me tips. I would be a summer start, but I don't want an LLM.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:50 am

Jericwithers wrote:
Oh....sure, but just because I couldn't find you at the ASD doesn't mean you won't be easy to pick out of the 200 people who do enroll. I don't have as much to lose as you. People won't like me regardless, but I could still ruin things for you.
Oh, do tell why! Is it because of my post count? The fact that I root for the most evil soccer team in history? Or all of my BP poasts? :mrgreen:

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:17 pm

I took the plunge and joined the facebook 2013 group. I'm really committed now!

rotflawl

New

Post by rotflawl » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:27 pm

Jericwithers wrote:I took the plunge and joined the facebook 2013 group. I'm really committed now!
Wow! I creep on that page every other day, but I can't bring myself to officially join until I send my deposit in. FB = srs bsns?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”