Duke Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:53 pm

soullesswonder wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:
insidethetwenty wrote:Does anybody know when would be a good time to start negotiating on a scholarship? I read something about a "negotiation period" on here, but is that a formal timeframe or is it just a general guideline?


Wait until next week - they're putting out the last round of initial scholarship offers as we speak.


I don't like your new avatar. House was best.



Geez, you meet someone IRL and suddenly they feel qualified to judge your tar...but since I can't find a "Chuck" pic I like I'll go with House and the "death cat"


I feel so qualified as a judge that I can say I like the middle finger House even better. Maybe if I had seen this 'death cat' I would understand it, but I don't.

User avatar
thecubiclelife
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby thecubiclelife » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:35 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
poprox wrote:Oh, also forgot to add that I remember the grant award amount question being asked during the Pro Bono / PI session, and that was a great question. It was very helpful to find out that ~1,500 - 3,000 is what ppl tend to get.


Thanks, UCLA gives more though :? . Getting in for the PILF grants on top of the Dean's awards is for the win though (if thats possible). While I would love to get inside your mind and start my psychological gunning early, I don't remember you but instead I saw your long post in the ASD thread where you talked about the clinic story and the PI stuff.

Do I really have to root for Duke football? I'm sure I will, but it won't be very heart-felt. More of a way to get outside and see some people run around. I am just angry that Texas basketball jumped off a cliff. It would have been something to end up as #2 in all of baseball, football, and basketball.


Of course you don't have to cheer for Duke football. I won't if I go. I have too much Gator gear at this point to start rooting for another team.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:41 pm

thecubiclelife wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
poprox wrote:Oh, also forgot to add that I remember the grant award amount question being asked during the Pro Bono / PI session, and that was a great question. It was very helpful to find out that ~1,500 - 3,000 is what ppl tend to get.


Thanks, UCLA gives more though :? . Getting in for the PILF grants on top of the Dean's awards is for the win though (if thats possible). While I would love to get inside your mind and start my psychological gunning early, I don't remember you but instead I saw your long post in the ASD thread where you talked about the clinic story and the PI stuff.

Do I really have to root for Duke football? I'm sure I will, but it won't be very heart-felt. More of a way to get outside and see some people run around. I am just angry that Texas basketball jumped off a cliff. It would have been something to end up as #2 in all of baseball, football, and basketball.


Of course you don't have to cheer for Duke football. I won't if I go. I have too much Gator gear at this point to start rooting for another team.


....my advice? Root for Duke instead :wink:

User avatar
thecubiclelife
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby thecubiclelife » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:01 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
thecubiclelife wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
poprox wrote:Oh, also forgot to add that I remember the grant award amount question being asked during the Pro Bono / PI session, and that was a great question. It was very helpful to find out that ~1,500 - 3,000 is what ppl tend to get.


Thanks, UCLA gives more though :? . Getting in for the PILF grants on top of the Dean's awards is for the win though (if thats possible). While I would love to get inside your mind and start my psychological gunning early, I don't remember you but instead I saw your long post in the ASD thread where you talked about the clinic story and the PI stuff.

Do I really have to root for Duke football? I'm sure I will, but it won't be very heart-felt. More of a way to get outside and see some people run around. I am just angry that Texas basketball jumped off a cliff. It would have been something to end up as #2 in all of baseball, football, and basketball.


Of course you don't have to cheer for Duke football. I won't if I go. I have too much Gator gear at this point to start rooting for another team.


....my advice? Root for Duke instead :wink:


No need to hate, man. We're in different conferences anyway. Although SEC > Big 12...

User avatar
DallasCowboy
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:47 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby DallasCowboy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:09 pm

IIRC, the last 4 BCS champs are from that one southeastern conference :wink:

User avatar
MissCongeniality
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:35 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby MissCongeniality » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:11 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:IIRC, the last 4 BCS champs are from that one southeastern conference :wink:


Yuck.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:46 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:IIRC, the last 4 BCS champs are from that one southeastern conference :wink:


IIRC all your players come from Texas :wink: There should be tariffs on other conferences importing Texas boys.

In other news, I got a mac. I hate how it has spell check everywhere, and when I make a mistake and try to correct it there is always that option to 'Learn Spelling.' Screw you mac, just give me the right answer and shut up. Judgmental computer.

User avatar
soullesswonder
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby soullesswonder » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:48 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
DallasCowboy wrote:IIRC, the last 4 BCS champs are from that one southeastern conference :wink:


IIRC all your players come from Texas :wink: There should be tariffs on other conferences importing Texas boys.

In other news, I got a mac. I hate how it has spell check everywhere, and when I make a mistake and try to correct it there is always that option to 'Learn Spelling.' Screw you mac, just give me the right answer and shut up. Judgmental computer.


The only reason a PC doesn't rag you for your mistakes is b/c it knows it f***s up its job all the time, too

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:55 pm

soullesswonder wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
DallasCowboy wrote:IIRC, the last 4 BCS champs are from that one southeastern conference :wink:


IIRC all your players come from Texas :wink: There should be tariffs on other conferences importing Texas boys.

In other news, I got a mac. I hate how it has spell check everywhere, and when I make a mistake and try to correct it there is always that option to 'Learn Spelling.' Screw you mac, just give me the right answer and shut up. Judgmental computer.


The only reason a PC doesn't rag you for your mistakes is b/c it knows it f***s up its job all the time, too


Maybe, but the mac is that annoying person in the office sitting around gossiping because it has no real work to do. Since all it is good for is facebook and music, it must try to be relevant and make itself useful by trying to teach me the basics of I before E.

Oh, I just figured out what 'Learn Spelling' means. It isn't an insult, but a way to teach it that my name is actually spelled that way. Now, how do I get it to unlearn spelling? I don't want to it learn that lol is a word.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby thickfreakness » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:10 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
DallasCowboy wrote:IIRC, the last 4 BCS champs are from that one southeastern conference :wink:


IIRC all your players come from Texas :wink: There should be tariffs on other conferences importing Texas boys.

In other news, I got a mac. I hate how it has spell check everywhere, and when I make a mistake and try to correct it there is always that option to 'Learn Spelling.' Screw you mac, just give me the right answer and shut up. Judgmental computer.


Lolwut? I think that UF probably gets most of its players from, uh, Florida. They produce just a wee-bit of talent each year. Oklahoma is who you should complain about. You know what they say: UT Norman, the best Texans money can buy.

Also, I'm seriously thinking about getting a Mac. My Dell laptop's screen burned out almost 6 months ago (it was over 4 years old, FWIW) and my wife and I have been sharing a computer since then.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:17 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
DallasCowboy wrote:IIRC, the last 4 BCS champs are from that one southeastern conference :wink:


IIRC all your players come from Texas :wink: There should be tariffs on other conferences importing Texas boys.

In other news, I got a mac. I hate how it has spell check everywhere, and when I make a mistake and try to correct it there is always that option to 'Learn Spelling.' Screw you mac, just give me the right answer and shut up. Judgmental computer.


Lolwut? I think that UF probably gets most of its players from, uh, Florida. They produce just a wee-bit of talent each year. Oklahoma is who you should complain about. You know what they say: UT Norman, the best Texans money can buy.

Also, I'm seriously thinking about getting a Mac. My Dell laptop's screen burned out almost 6 months ago (it was over 4 years old, FWIW) and my wife and I have been sharing a computer since then.


They are overpriced, but works pretty good actually. I wouldn't spend more then 1g on it. I got a heckuva deal on mine and it is good, but for the same price I would have a heckuva PC. The one thing I like about Macs is the multi-touch finger swipe stuff, but PCs have that now too. The built in spell check is also nice too.

Also, what are you talking about....isn't your school's QB from Texas? :wink: (Not that we want to claim him, but we have to)

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby thickfreakness » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:32 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
DallasCowboy wrote:IIRC, the last 4 BCS champs are from that one southeastern conference :wink:


IIRC all your players come from Texas :wink: There should be tariffs on other conferences importing Texas boys.

In other news, I got a mac. I hate how it has spell check everywhere, and when I make a mistake and try to correct it there is always that option to 'Learn Spelling.' Screw you mac, just give me the right answer and shut up. Judgmental computer.


Lolwut? I think that UF probably gets most of its players from, uh, Florida. They produce just a wee-bit of talent each year. Oklahoma is who you should complain about. You know what they say: UT Norman, the best Texans money can buy.

Also, I'm seriously thinking about getting a Mac. My Dell laptop's screen burned out almost 6 months ago (it was over 4 years old, FWIW) and my wife and I have been sharing a computer since then.


They are overpriced, but works pretty good actually. I wouldn't spend more then 1g on it. I got a heckuva deal on mine and it is good, but for the same price I would have a heckuva PC. The one thing I like about Macs is the multi-touch finger swipe stuff, but PCs have that now too. The built in spell check is also nice too.

Also, what are you talking about....isn't your school's QB from Texas? :wink: (Not that we want to claim him, but we have to)


He is, but most of our ridiculously, freakish athletes who are going to be NFL draft picks are homegrown or from immediately surrounding states like MS, GA, TN, and FL. McElroy is awesome, though, even if he loses every damn game next year. He won a national title, graduated in 3 years with practically a 4.0 GPA, and represents himself and the university professionally and with class at all times. If football doesn't work out for him there are plenty of other things that will.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:41 pm

Well sounds like a Texan, even if he is a traitor.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby thickfreakness » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:48 pm

Jericwithers wrote:Well sounds like a Texan, even if he is a traitor.



Traitor? He only had a firm offer from Tech and then Shula offered him in desperation after Tebow spurned us for Florida. I'd say it worked out alright, though.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:53 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:Well sounds like a Texan, even if he is a traitor.



Traitor? He only had a firm offer from Tech and then Shula offered him in desperation after Tebow spurned us for Florida. I'd say it worked out alright, though.


I've blocked out the big game, did he throw any touchdown passes?
EDIT: Had to check, he didn't. That wasn't their style, though.

User avatar
soullesswonder
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby soullesswonder » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:08 am

Saying that McElroy won a national title is like saying Christian Laettner won an Olympic Gold Medal - it's technically accurate but extremely misleading.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:10 am

soullesswonder wrote:Saying that McElroy won a national title is like saying Christian Laettner won an Olympic Gold Medal - it's technically accurate but extremely misleading.


I hope you end up at Duke :D Anything I can do to help you negotiate (besides give up my own money)?

User avatar
soullesswonder
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby soullesswonder » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:22 am

Jericwithers wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:Saying that McElroy won a national title is like saying Christian Laettner won an Olympic Gold Medal - it's technically accurate but extremely misleading.


I hope you end up at Duke :D Anything I can do to help you negotiate (besides give up my own money)?


sure - just figure out which faculty members reviewed my app for merit aid and tell them that I'm balls-to-the-wall awesome so they won't be offended when I ask them to revise their initial assessment 8) Maybe I can get Guy Charles to weigh in on my behalf - I really enjoyed talking with him at the reception about judicial elections.

I did find that really interesting, btw - it seems like Duke is much more deliberate about its merit aid evaluation process. At Virginia it seemed like the right person could make money appear just by snapping his fingers, but I was told that three faculty members review each application and write comments on it with the express purpose of determing scholarship offers.

User avatar
DallasCowboy
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:47 am

Re: Tucker Max University Class of 2013

Postby DallasCowboy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:50 am

wow. i just read thru the first page of the "Tucker Max University" page and came across one of my posts that I know I didn't make! Then I realized, it must be April Fool's! Classic.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Tucker Max University Class of 2013

Postby thickfreakness » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:27 am

soullesswonder wrote:Saying that McElroy won a national title is like saying Christian Laettner won an Olympic Gold Medal - it's technically accurate but extremely misleading.



Very true. I guess you could say he didn't lose the title. However, he did play out of his mind against Florida and that makes me feel good in all the wrong places.

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: Tucker Max University Class of 2013

Postby Flanker1067 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:48 am

Duke is the best April's fools joke, I think. I mean, it had it coming.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Tucker Max University Class of 2013

Postby thickfreakness » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:22 am

Flanker1067 wrote:Tucker Max University is the best April's fools joke, I think. I mean, it had it coming.



Personally I like the moniker they came up with for HLS (Not YLS).

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Tucker Max University Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:34 am

thickfreakness wrote:
Flanker1067 wrote:Tucker Max University is the best April's fools joke, I think. I mean, it had it coming.



Personally I like the moniker they came up with for HLS (Not YLS).


At least we're not Nixon U.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Tucker Max University Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:13 am

Hah!
http://www.law.du%20ke.edu/news/story?id=4760&u=11

Wow, I can't even link a website without the filter getting me.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Tucker Max University Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:39 pm

Who have people been sending emails to about scholarship negotiations?




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest