Duke Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:26 pm

Anyone check out the career information sent in the most recent email? Interesting. I also signed up to hear from an alum in Texas, so I can get an edge on all you other Texas hopefuls!

johndh
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:20 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby johndh » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:17 pm

Any competition for Atlanta?

bluedev1
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:18 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby bluedev1 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:15 am

Saw this and reminded me of this thread and talk of microbrews: http://www.groupon.com/raleigh-durham/d ... brewery-co

glad that Raleigh/Durham has groupon, it will come in handy

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:30 pm

bluedev1 wrote:Saw this and reminded me of this thread and talk of microbrews: http://www.groupon.com/raleigh-durham/d ... brewery-co

glad that Raleigh/Durham has groupon, it will come in handy


Interesting. What's groupon?

bluedev1
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:18 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby bluedev1 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:14 pm

It's a deal-a-day website, a group coupon ( certain number of people have to buy for everyone to get it ), for food/activities in a city/area at a discount. For example, a $50 restaurant gift certificate for $20 or a $50 pedicure for $10, something different everyday and the "groupon" usually doesn't expire for at least a year after you buy it (they vary).


(note to mods: not trying to spam, just share info:) )

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:19 pm

bluedev1 wrote:It's a deal-a-day website, a group coupon ( certain number of people have to buy for everyone to get it ), for food/activities in a city/area at a discount. For example, a $50 restaurant gift certificate for $20 or a $50 pedicure for $10, something different everyday and the "groupon" usually doesn't expire for at least a year after you buy it (they vary).


(note to mods: not trying to spam, just share info:) )


12 Cake balls for $12?!?! What a deal! Thanks for the info.

johndh
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:20 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby johndh » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:18 pm

Has anyone started negotiating financial aid yet? I sent in an email two days ago and haven't heard anything back yet.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby thickfreakness » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:23 pm

johndh wrote:Has anyone started negotiating financial aid yet? I sent in an email two days ago and haven't heard anything back yet.


I haven't received my initial offer yet. I think someone mentioned that they weren't going to re-evaluate offers until all initial offers had been mailed.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:25 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
johndh wrote:Has anyone started negotiating financial aid yet? I sent in an email two days ago and haven't heard anything back yet.


I haven't received my initial offer yet. I think someone mentioned that they weren't going to re-evaluate offers until all initial offers had been mailed.


I'm waiting for big bucks from Cornell. Has Duke mailed out your offer yet thick?

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby thickfreakness » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:27 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:
johndh wrote:Has anyone started negotiating financial aid yet? I sent in an email two days ago and haven't heard anything back yet.


I haven't received my initial offer yet. I think someone mentioned that they weren't going to re-evaluate offers until all initial offers had been mailed.


I'm waiting for big bucks from Cornell. Has Duke mailed out your offer yet thick?


Nope. Still waiting. It hasn't been two weeks since I faxed the form back in, so I'm not worried about it.

Though I would like to hear what my offer is before ASW...

johndh
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:20 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby johndh » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:32 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:
johndh wrote:Has anyone started negotiating financial aid yet? I sent in an email two days ago and haven't heard anything back yet.


I haven't received my initial offer yet. I think someone mentioned that they weren't going to re-evaluate offers until all initial offers had been mailed.


I'm waiting for big bucks from Cornell. Has Duke mailed out your offer yet thick?


Yeah I just got 120k from Cornell so that is what I am trying to negotiate with. Hopefully I get some more, I would love to go to Duke

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:39 pm

johndh wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:
johndh wrote:Has anyone started negotiating financial aid yet? I sent in an email two days ago and haven't heard anything back yet.


I haven't received my initial offer yet. I think someone mentioned that they weren't going to re-evaluate offers until all initial offers had been mailed.


I'm waiting for big bucks from Cornell. Has Duke mailed out your offer yet thick?


Yeah I just got 120k from Cornell so that is what I am trying to negotiate with. Hopefully I get some more, I would love to go to Duke

Whoaw. Let me know how that goes!

johndh
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:20 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby johndh » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:28 pm

Yeah I will. Do you think a Cornell scholarship would be good to negotiate with? Especially with Duke moving up in the rankings...

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:31 pm

johndh wrote:Yeah I will. Do you think a Cornell scholarship would be good to negotiate with? Especially with Duke moving up in the rankings...


It's a shocking ammount of money that should make them consider giving you more.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby thickfreakness » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:13 pm

So, given UVA's rampant YP slaughter of the last two days, I'm thinking I'll be in a batch soon. This means the odds that I'll be at Duke are much higher. Wootage.

woeisme
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby woeisme » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:18 am

Jericwithers wrote:
johndh wrote:Yeah I will. Do you think a Cornell scholarship would be good to negotiate with? Especially with Duke moving up in the rankings...


It's a shocking ammount of money that should make them consider giving you more.


Duke and Cornell are often tied in the rankings, aren't they? They were the year I applied. They're certainly seen as peers and I'm pretty sure the schools will acknowledge when the other gives merit aid. Anecdotally, I know a friend who got money from Duke and Cornell almost met the scholarship. I know another where the reverse happened. My prediction is that Duke will give johndh money, but slightly less. They never seem to meet the scholarships.

User avatar
someones alt
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:08 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby someones alt » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:38 pm

woeisme wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
johndh wrote:Yeah I will. Do you think a Cornell scholarship would be good to negotiate with? Especially with Duke moving up in the rankings...


It's a shocking ammount of money that should make them consider giving you more.


Duke and Cornell are often tied in the rankings, aren't they? They were the year I applied. They're certainly seen as peers and I'm pretty sure the schools will acknowledge when the other gives merit aid. Anecdotally, I know a friend who got money from Duke and Cornell almost met the scholarship. I know another where the reverse happened. My prediction is that Duke will give johndh money, but slightly less. They never seem to meet the scholarships.


Can of worms

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby thickfreakness » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:44 pm

someones alt wrote:
woeisme wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
johndh wrote:Yeah I will. Do you think a Cornell scholarship would be good to negotiate with? Especially with Duke moving up in the rankings...


It's a shocking ammount of money that should make them consider giving you more.


Duke and Cornell are often tied in the rankings, aren't they? They were the year I applied. They're certainly seen as peers and I'm pretty sure the schools will acknowledge when the other gives merit aid. Anecdotally, I know a friend who got money from Duke and Cornell almost met the scholarship. I know another where the reverse happened. My prediction is that Duke will give johndh money, but slightly less. They never seem to meet the scholarships.


Can of worms



Cornell isn't even T12, Duke is. It seems pretty cut and dried to me. :lol:

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:50 pm

thickfreakness wrote:Cornell isn't even T12, Duke is. It seems pretty cut and dried to me. :lol:


That's how I look at it! Also I like that Duke is doing a lot with its programs and recently finished construction on its building. Those are always signs of possible improved future rankings (so long as us students also improve).

woeisme
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby woeisme » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:15 am

thickfreakness wrote:
Cornell isn't even T12, Duke is. It seems pretty cut and dried to me. :lol:


T12 meaning ranked in the top 12? Yeah, you're right. This year Cornell is 13. One behind Duke (which is tied at 10). But that is just the ranking this year. And, anyway, it's not at all inconsistent with what I've said. If one slot in the rankings in any given year prevents schools from being seen as peers, then sure, it's "cut and dried." I'm just not prepared to buy that argument.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby thickfreakness » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:37 am

woeisme wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:
Cornell isn't even T12, Duke is. It seems pretty cut and dried to me. :lol:


T12 meaning ranked in the top 12? Yeah, you're right. This year Cornell is 13. One behind Duke (which is tied at 10). But that is just the ranking this year. And, anyway, it's not at all inconsistent with what I've said. If one slot in the rankings in any given year prevents schools from being seen as peers, then sure, it's "cut and dried." I'm just not prepared to buy that argument.



I was just doing a little bit of playful trolling there. Cornell's a fine school, definitely to be considered a peer to Duke.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:08 am

Anyone else get an email from a professor talking about programs you expressed interest about in your ps/why Duke?

johndh
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:20 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby johndh » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:13 am

Jericwithers wrote:Anyone else get an email from a professor talking about programs you expressed interest about in your ps/why Duke?



Yeah it was a nice touch

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:19 am

johndh wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:Anyone else get an email from a professor talking about programs you expressed interest about in your ps/why Duke?



Yeah it was a nice touch


It was informative. I heard some other schools do this as well, but I don't know if they use a form letter like Duke or not. I'm still waiting to get in contact with the alum I requested lol.

johndh
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:20 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby johndh » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:48 am

Jericwithers wrote:
johndh wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:Anyone else get an email from a professor talking about programs you expressed interest about in your ps/why Duke?



Yeah it was a nice touch


It was informative. I heard some other schools do this as well, but I don't know if they use a form letter like Duke or not. I'm still waiting to get in contact with the alum I requested lol.


I know, I sent in my information the day I got the alumni email but still nothing




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest