Duke Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
someones alt

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby someones alt » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:00 pm

Jeric you are well on your way to becoming Duke's Opera Soprano, I hope you don't get lured away by another school

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:05 pm

someones alt wrote:Jeric you are well on your way to becoming Duke's Opera Soprano, I hope you don't get lured away by another school

Lol thanks, but what does that mean? Is it an elected position? After all this time dreaming about Duke it would be a bit of a downer to get lured away by somewhere else.

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:25 pm

Duke is awesome. More later.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:26 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:Duke is awesome. More later.

So informative, thanks! :lol: (anxiously awaiting more)

someones alt

Postby someones alt » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:47 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
someones alt wrote:Jeric you are well on your way to becoming Duke's Opera Soprano, I hope you don't get lured away by another school

Lol thanks, but what does that mean? Is it an elected position? After all this time dreaming about Duke it would be a bit of a downer to get lured away by somewhere else.

It means I could go into any sub board on this website and mention Duke in secret and expect to see you posting immediately afterward fawning over Duke. It's a good thing, TLS doesn't get enough Duke love.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:53 pm

someones alt wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

It means I could go into any sub board on this website and mention Duke in secret and expect to see you posting immediately afterward fawning over Duke. It's a good thing, TLS doesn't get enough Duke love.

Haha thats not true :oops: I quit paying attention to Chicago, UVA, and Berkeley so I wouldn't respond there. I mostly keep my good Duke wishes to times when people talk about Duke. To be fair though it is the best school :lol:

insidethetwenty

Postby insidethetwenty » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:33 pm

someones alt wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

Essentially, you must do an advanced search for "Duke" 3-4 times per day, and respond to any anti-Duke or lukewarm-Duke sentiments with zealous trollage.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:35 pm

insidethetwenty wrote:
someones alt wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

Essentially, you must do an advanced search for "Duke" 3-4 times per day, and respond to any anti-Duke or lukewarm-Duke sentiments with zealous trollage.

Lies. I think its obvious who the troll is here :P

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:30 pm

1st. Chapel Hill is so fun. Last night, I went out with my parents to the new Irish Pub on Franklin and the people were friendly (even to a Duke prospective) and the women were gorgeous and plentiful. The area is very cool and clean, and I'll admit it is better set up than Gainesville.

2nd. I went on the tour today, and the school looks awesome. You can't really understand why the school is all windows until you are inside and see the forested views from every classroom. The biggest relief: the students ARE NOT dorks like the undergrads. I agree with what the Class of '12 people said after their ASW last year. The atmosphere is exactly like how UVA tries to project itself: laid back, noncompetitive and very friendly. There are definitely some attractive students, if you are into that thing :) .

I attended a criminal law class and actually enjoyed it. If any 1Ls are here, I was the guy in the blue button-down and khakis 8). It was not at all in the Socratic style (more conversational), and the professor had the students cracking up multiple times. The students next to us offered to let us read off of their material so we could keep up in class. If anything, attending the class let me know I would enjoy law school.

The facilities are top-notch, clean, and leave me with no gripes. There are lockers for every student who wants one, and the gym is a short walk away.

Overall, I'm very impressed with Duke and do not understand why it gets such a bad reputation around here. At the end of the day, I am actually glad I didn't ED to UVA because Duke Law is that cool.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:35 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:1st. Chapel Hill is so fun. Last night, I went out with my parents to the new Irish Pub on Franklin and the people were friendly (even to a Duke prospective) and the women were gorgeous and plentiful. The area is very cool and clean, and I'll admit it is better set up than Gainesville.

2nd. I went on the tour today, and the school looks awesome. You can't really understand why the school is all windows until you are inside and see the forested views from every classroom. The biggest relief: the students ARE NOT dorks like the undergrads. I agree with what the Class of '12 people said after their ASW last year. The atmosphere is exactly like how UVA tries to project itself: laid back, noncompetitive and very friendly. There are definitely some attractive students, if you are into that thing :) .

I attended a criminal law class and actually enjoyed it. If any 1Ls are here, I was the guy in the blue button-down and khakis 8). It was not at all in the Socratic style (more conversational), and the professor had the students cracking up multiple times. The students next to us offered to let us read off of their material so we could keep up in class. If anything, attending the class let me know I would enjoy law school.

The facilities are top-notch, clean, and leave me with no gripes. There are lockers for every student who wants one, and the gym is a short walk away.

Overall, I'm very impressed with Duke and do not understand why it gets such a bad reputation around here. At the end of the day, I am actually glad I didn't ED to UVA because Duke Law is that cool.

Thanks for the review; I'll take it! How was the city prepared to deal with the snow? How conjested was the school and its study areas? How was traffic? Also, Duke puts itself forward as a 'technologically connected' school and requires everyone to have a laptop. Was everyone in class using a laptop, and what % were browing the internet/facebook?

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:53 pm

The snow didn't stick, the traffic is minimal, except to/from Chapel Hill during the day right in front of the hotel (Think suburban commuting light traffic). At night, Chapel Hill is a straight shot going 50. There were a lot of potholes to avoid. Watch out for confusing highway exchanges by the comfort inn.

0% on computers; she must have banned them. Students were very engaged with their books out. There was a major surplus of study space in the library, commons, etc. Of course, it was a Friday, so not many upper-level students had class. Also, the 1L torts class was cancelled. A lot of people were studying in small groups or socializing in the commons. The library carrels with computers had some openings.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:16 pm

ranovr32 wrote:
Bbop wrote:Hey everyone, I guess I'm late getting up on this site. I got my acceptance back in October, but I'm still waiting on scholarship notification before I write out any deposit checks. I'm going to try and go out for ASW, does anyone think I'll need a car if I get a hotel with airport and campus shuttles?

unequivocally YES

I concur.

johndh

Postby johndh » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:22 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:1st. Chapel Hill is so fun. Last night, I went out with my parents to the new Irish Pub on Franklin and the people were friendly (even to a Duke prospective) and the women were gorgeous and plentiful. The area is very cool and clean, and I'll admit it is better set up than Gainesville.

I'm glad you got the same vibe from the law school that I did. It does seem like a laid back place (for a law school at least). And Chapel Hill will definitely be a good time.
Last edited by johndh on Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:45 am

DallasCowboy wrote:The snow didn't stick, the traffic is minimal, except to/from Chapel Hill during the day right in front of the hotel (Think suburban commuting light traffic). At night, Chapel Hill is a straight shot going 50. There were a lot of potholes to avoid. Watch out for confusing highway exchanges by the comfort inn.

0% on computers; she must have banned them. Students were very engaged with their books out. There was a major surplus of study space in the library, commons, etc. Of course, it was a Friday, so not many upper-level students had class. Also, the 1L torts class was cancelled. A lot of people were studying in small groups or socializing in the commons. The library carrels with computers had some openings.

You should have said something, I would have told you Torts was canceled. We knew that a week ago.

Still, glad to hear you liked it!

bluedev1

Postby bluedev1 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:31 pm

Finally in yesterday afternoon, jd/llm. Duke is my top choice (I have very specific ip research interests that Duke was pretty much the only school for me), so I'll be sending in my deposit and booking a ticket to ASW. (also, originally picked my username because my high school mascot was the blue devil, and this is a generic username I still use now and then, but guess it's appropriate now that I'm headed to Duke :) )

Any other summer starters? For summer, should I go ahead and sign a lease, or sublet and do a lease later for like 8/1?

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:41 pm

bluedev1 wrote:Finally in yesterday afternoon, jd/llm. Duke is my top choice (I have very specific ip research interests that Duke was pretty much the only school for me), so I'll be sending in my deposit and booking a ticket to ASW. (also, originally picked my username because my high school mascot was the blue devil, and this is a generic username I still use now and then, but guess it's appropriate now that I'm headed to Duke :) )

Any other summer starters? For summer, should I go ahead and sign a lease, or sublet and do a lease later for like 8/1?

Edit: nm, not yet.

TheWire

Postby TheWire » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:03 pm

I'm definitely out of place on TLS...I'm choosing between two schools that get no love on here: NYU and Duke. I got a little over 1/2 tuition from Duke and was hoping that some of you may try to compare/contrast the schools with the initiative of persuading me in Duke's favor...thanks!

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:18 pm

TheWire wrote:I'm definitely out of place on TLS...I'm choosing between two schools that get no love on here: NYU and Duke. I got a little over 1/2 tuition from Duke and was hoping that some of you may try to compare/contrast the schools with the initiative of persuading me in Duke's favor...thanks!

I would try to convince you, but that would only solidify my growing reputation as a Duke troll :( . NYU doesn't get a lot of hate on here, or not that I have seen. However, I will give you my reasons for why I have grown to like Duke over NYU (but this may be influenced by the fact that NYU has yet to accept me, so it's really just me building up Duke in my mind lol)

I personally like Duke because it would be half the cost, half the class size (knowing everyone in my class is of growing important to me, and is great for future networking), and the QOL and COL is better at Duke (Id much rather have a 2 bedroom apartment than an urban studio for the same price).

However, if I were accepted I would visit both and see which atmosphere fits me better. I would also look at the firms/regions which do OCI on top of other employment data. NYU places better of course, but is it worth twice the cost is the question I would ask myself.

TheWire

Postby TheWire » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:23 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
TheWire wrote:I'm definitely out of place on TLS...I'm choosing between two schools that get no love on here: NYU and Duke. I got a little over 1/2 tuition from Duke and was hoping that some of you may try to compare/contrast the schools with the initiative of persuading me in Duke's favor...thanks!

I would try to convince you, but that would only solidify my growing reputation as a Duke troll :( . NYU doesn't get a lot of hate on here, or not that I have seen. However, I will give you my reasons for why I have grown to like Duke over NYU (but this may be influenced by the fact that NYU has yet to accept me, so it's really just me building up Duke in my mind lol)

I personally like Duke because it would be half the cost, half the class size (knowing everyone in my class is of growing important to me, and is great for future networking), and the QOL and COL is better at Duke (Id much rather have a 2 bedroom apartment than an urban studio for the same price).

However, if I were accepted I would visit both and see which atmosphere fits me better. I would also look at the firms/regions which do OCI on top of other employment data. NYU places better of course, but is it worth twice the cost is the question I would ask myself.

This, for me at least, is the biggest issue. Also, I've heard that NYU has the highest QOL, but that may just be big-city bias.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:31 pm

TheWire wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

This, for me at least, is the biggest issue. Also, I've heard that NYU has the highest QOL, but that may just be big-city bias.

QOL is such a subjective measure. What do you want out of life? It's probably different from me. If anyone has the highest QOL its Michigan, since Ann Arbor was voted the best city to live lol. For me a high quality of life requires trees/nature, a car, and a larger apartment. I'm not a big patron of bars or clubs, which would undoubtedly land high on other people's lists. Check out http://www.nalpdirectory.com if you haven't already for some interesting OCI information.

soullesswonder

Postby soullesswonder » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:44 pm

TheWire wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

This, for me at least, is the biggest issue. Also, I've heard that NYU has the highest [strike]QOL[/strike]COL, but that may just be big-city [strike]bias[/strike] overpricing.

FTFY :) IMO, QOL really doesn't matter in LS (or BigLaw, for that matter), past a certain point. Who cares if NYC has a bunch of fantastic offerings if you're too busy (and you really should be, ITE) to sample them all? I would never claim the Triangle is the center of the world, but it has more than its share of bars, restaurants, and music venues that someone on a student budget can enjoy. So maybe if you need to feel "culturally relevant", you should go to NYU, but if you want to get a much lower COL and still have some options a couple nights a week, Duke is a better choice. Besides, if you want NYC later you can always get a job there after LS. You'll still be too busy, but at least then you'll have some money to throw around on the occasions where they do let you out of your office cage.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:50 pm

There is also a surprisingly large number of good restaurants here.

TheWire

Postby TheWire » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:52 pm

what are the chances of nabbing Duke bball tickets?

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:53 pm

TheWire wrote:what are the chances of nabbing Duke bball tickets?

Depends. You can get into pretty much all games but one unless you have season tickets (from campout) or a shitload of money to blow on hoops. And even then you might get in.

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:24 am

Oh BTW, downtown Durham was pretty cool at night too. Brightleaf Square seems like a good place for a date or a night at the bar.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”