Duke Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Bosque » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:13 pm

I got a few pieces of furniture from a raw furniture store when I got to Durham and finished them myself. My roommates thought I was crazy about the time I was putting on the third coat of stain, but it was worth it. The stuff looks great, was cheep, and there is something calming about the finishing process.

Oh, and I made due with a messenger bag. Eventually you will figure out that, beyond one book for each of your three classes and a lap top, you don't need much else. On days with two classes, I used just the bag. On three, I just shoved that last book under my arm and sucked up carrying it.

That said, you cannot go wrong with a back pack. I just don't trust my laptop in one.

johndh
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:20 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby johndh » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:22 pm

Why am I checking my ACES account religiously to find out my section assignment? They even said it'll come out in August, it's like those damn status checkers all over..

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:00 pm

johndh wrote:Why am I checking my ACES account religiously to find out my section assignment? They even said it'll come out in August, it's like those damn status checkers all over..


Same here. I'm going to be pretty angry once August 2nd comes and we still don't know our sections.

Interesting idea on the stained furniture.

User avatar
poprox
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:58 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby poprox » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:03 pm

You can find some really nice used furniture around here at thrift/antique stores. I've been to several in the past few days - some are iffy on selection and quality while others are great. Everything But Grannies Undergarments is really good. They have a few beds, some nice dressers, tables etc. There"s another good place out in Chapel Hill off NC 54 that's only opem Saturdays right now and it also has a lot of good furniture.

User avatar
Chairman
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Chairman » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:18 pm

Signed a lease today--guess I'm committed now! :shock:

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:42 pm

Chairman wrote:Signed a lease today--guess I'm committed now! :shock:


SWEET tar

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby quakeroats » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:13 pm

Does anyone know the library hours for students? It says 24-hour access with a DukeCard on the website, but there are hours listed elsewhere that are considerably less than that.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:38 pm

quakeroats wrote:Does anyone know the library hours for students? It says 24-hour access with a DukeCard on the website, but there are hours listed elsewhere that are considerably less than that.


24 hours is correct. The shorter hours listed is for general public access without a card. Right?

User avatar
DallasCowboy
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:47 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby DallasCowboy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:08 pm

I already read the assigned reading 4 times. My only problem was that I ran out of highlighter colors.
Last edited by DallasCowboy on Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pelmen74
Posts: 156
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby pelmen74 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:08 pm

So our payment is due August 2nd??
SHIIIT.
How do we pay if we plan on paying first semester out of our own pocket. Aces does not give me a pay your bill option.

pelmen74
Posts: 156
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby pelmen74 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:23 pm

pelmen74 wrote:So our payment is due August 2nd??
SHIIIT.
How do we pay if we plan on paying first semester out of our own pocket. Aces does not give me a pay your bill option.

Well, I figured out the latter part, now I have to figure out how to actually get the money in by Monday. I hope Duke doesnt throw me out for paying my first bill late. :oops:

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:04 pm

Is it acceptable to watch the movie rather than read the book for the assignment? Is our participation in the discussion curved? Will I get bumped down the curve if I picture John Travolta while reading the book?

pelmen74 wrote:
pelmen74 wrote:So our payment is due August 2nd??
SHIIIT.
How do we pay if we plan on paying first semester out of our own pocket. Aces does not give me a pay your bill option.

Well, I figured out the latter part, now I have to figure out how to actually get the money in by Monday. I hope Duke doesnt throw me out for paying my first bill late. :oops:


Pay by e-check. If you are wondering how to get the $25k by Monday, then I would recommend opening up your own law school. I hear it is quite a lucrative business.

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby quakeroats » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:45 pm

quakeroats wrote:Does anyone know how to access old Duke exams? I've heard they're on file at the library, but since a number of schools have online repositories I thought Duke might also. Btw, I've managed to collect some exams from other schools. I'd be happy to share materials--it might be beneficial to set up a TLS exam co-op for those interested.


Thankfully, someone else went to the trouble of linking to law school exam archives:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=122453

Berkeley is the gold mine of the T14 as they don't password protect their archive. It says Duke's exams are available via blackboard, but I haven't found them yet.

pelmen74
Posts: 156
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby pelmen74 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:08 pm

quakeroats wrote:
quakeroats wrote:Does anyone know how to access old Duke exams? I've heard they're on file at the library, but since a number of schools have online repositories I thought Duke might also. Btw, I've managed to collect some exams from other schools. I'd be happy to share materials--it might be beneficial to set up a TLS exam co-op for those interested.


Thankfully, someone else went to the trouble of linking to law school exam archives:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=122453

Berkeley is the gold mine of the T14 as they don't password protect their archive. It says Duke's exams are available via blackboard, but I haven't found them yet.


Im sure all of our profs will tell us where to find their old exams. So unless you want to start prepping for finals before classes even start, I think you won't have much of a problem.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:48 pm

pelmen74 wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
quakeroats wrote:Does anyone know how to access old Duke exams? I've heard they're on file at the library, but since a number of schools have online repositories I thought Duke might also. Btw, I've managed to collect some exams from other schools. I'd be happy to share materials--it might be beneficial to set up a TLS exam co-op for those interested.


Thankfully, someone else went to the trouble of linking to law school exam archives:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=122453

Berkeley is the gold mine of the T14 as they don't password protect their archive. It says Duke's exams are available via blackboard, but I haven't found them yet.


Im sure all of our profs will tell us where to find their old exams. So unless you want to start prepping for finals before classes even start, I think you won't have much of a problem.


:shock: Read a Berkley exam....and now I am terrified. I hope the 2nd half of GtM comes with smart pills or something. The old exams will probably be available within the document directory of blackboard for each particular class page. Have to be registered for classes before we can see their blackboard, though.

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby quakeroats » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:04 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
:shock: Read a Berkley exam....and now I am terrified.


In law school, no one can hear you scream. They're too busy preparing for exams.

User avatar
TrampsLikeU$
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:05 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby TrampsLikeU$ » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:52 am

quakeroats wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
:shock: Read a Berkley exam....and now I am terrified.


In law school, no one can hear you scream. They're too busy preparing for exams.



Just to make you feel better- I looked at Berkeley property and con law exams last semester right before exams, and I had no idea how to answer most of the questions. Maybe since they don't have grades professors just make the exams incredibly hard to freak everyone out and make them study still?

paralegal
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby paralegal » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:57 pm

A ray of hope in the legal employment market......early indications are that hiring at premier law firms will jump.....

http://amlawdaily.typepad.com/amlawdail ... r2011.html

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby quakeroats » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:04 pm

paralegal wrote:A ray of hope in the legal employment market......early indications are that hiring at premier law firms will jump.....

http://amlawdaily.typepad.com/amlawdail ... r2011.html


UVA's OGI seems to be much better than last year's if preselects are any indication.

johndh
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:20 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby johndh » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:05 pm

It's early August, section assignments where are you?

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby quakeroats » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:09 pm

Does anyone know what the class size was at last count?

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:37 am

quakeroats wrote:Does anyone know what the class size was at last count?


243 over a month ago. Haven't seen anything since.

It's now the first business day in August. I hope schedules are posted before I finish moving in tomorrow.

paralegal
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby paralegal » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:23 pm

Interesting info re Duke Law -

Additions to Legislative Affairs Team

Washington—President Barack Obama announced eleven additions to his legislative affairs team. “With such great challenges facing the country, it’s going to be essential to work closely with Capitol Hill to advance an agenda that turns this economy around, puts Americans back to work, and safeguards our national security.” The new legislative affairs team members announced that they will help to carry that mission forward—and ensure that the voices of congressional leaders and their constituents are being heard in the White House.

The following legislative affairs staff members were named:

Christopher Kang
Christopher Kang is Director of Floor Operations for U.S. Senate Assistant Majority Leader Richard Durbin (D-IL). For almost four years, he has been the lead floor staff for Senator Durbin, negotiating floor consideration of legislation, strategizing parliamentary tactics, and conducting whip counts. In addition, he has been a central hub of information and advice on pending legislation for the entire Democratic caucus. Prior to that position, he was Judiciary Committee Counsel for Senator Durbin, covering constitutional, criminal justice, and labor issues. Kang is also Vice President for Community Affairs of the Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Washington, DC. He is a graduate of the University of Chicago and Duke University School of Law.

pelmen74
Posts: 156
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby pelmen74 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:51 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
quakeroats wrote:Does anyone know what the class size was at last count?


243 over a month ago. Haven't seen anything since.

It's now the first business day in August. I hope schedules are posted before I finish moving in tomorrow.


Moving in already? What are you going to do in Durham for two weeks?

insidethetwenty
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:00 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby insidethetwenty » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:40 pm

So have they sent the reading for LEAD Week or did I just miss the e-mail.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest