Duke Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7119
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby los blancos » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:56 am

Jericwithers wrote:
los blancos wrote:Still trying to figure out if I'm gonna move my stuff or just sell it all...


What kind of stuff? From Chicago? When do you move? Would it all fit in your vehicle?


All of my furniture. I have a bed, desk, dining table/chairs, TV, and 2 couches still in my apartment. I could try to sell em off but I like the stuff and it's probably going to be a pain in the ass to sell it all and then buy new furniture. There's also the issue that my lease doesn't start till the day before orientation so unless they let me move in early, buying furniture once i get down there is going to be really annoying.

I would definitely move it all, but it's like $800 to rent a truck, and add gas on to that. I don't know what to do.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:05 am

los blancos wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
los blancos wrote:Still trying to figure out if I'm gonna move my stuff or just sell it all...


What kind of stuff? From Chicago? When do you move? Would it all fit in your vehicle?


All of my furniture. I have a bed, desk, dining table/chairs, TV, and 2 couches still in my apartment. I could try to sell em off but I like the stuff and it's probably going to be a pain in the ass to sell it all and then buy new furniture. There's also the issue that my lease doesn't start till the day before orientation so unless they let me move in early, buying furniture once i get down there is going to be really annoying.

I would definitely move it all, but it's like $800 to rent a truck, and add gas on to that. I don't know what to do.


It all depends on how much you could sell your stuff for and what the replacement cost would be for new stuff you like. For $1050 it might be worth it to keep your current furniture. A bed starts at $400, a couch at $300, a nice desk at $80, and I have no clue about dining room furniture. Do the math and see which side wins.

User avatar
ela7117
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:49 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby ela7117 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:49 am

poprox wrote:Ihope locopops makes Mexican-style popsicles (like Las Paletas in Nashville). I love those things! They are addictive in the summer heat :-)


yep they certainly do.

peeker82
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby peeker82 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:26 am

tag

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby quakeroats » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:53 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
los blancos wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
los blancos wrote:Still trying to figure out if I'm gonna move my stuff or just sell it all...


What kind of stuff? From Chicago? When do you move? Would it all fit in your vehicle?


All of my furniture. I have a bed, desk, dining table/chairs, TV, and 2 couches still in my apartment. I could try to sell em off but I like the stuff and it's probably going to be a pain in the ass to sell it all and then buy new furniture. There's also the issue that my lease doesn't start till the day before orientation so unless they let me move in early, buying furniture once i get down there is going to be really annoying.

I would definitely move it all, but it's like $800 to rent a truck, and add gas on to that. I don't know what to do.


It all depends on how much you could sell your stuff for and what the replacement cost would be for new stuff you like. For $1050 it might be worth it to keep your current furniture. A bed starts at $400, a couch at $300, a nice desk at $80, and I have no clue about dining room furniture. Do the math and see which side wins.


There's an Ikea in Charlotte:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/store/charlotte

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby quakeroats » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:00 pm

los blancos wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
los blancos wrote:Still trying to figure out if I'm gonna move my stuff or just sell it all...


What kind of stuff? From Chicago? When do you move? Would it all fit in your vehicle?


All of my furniture. I have a bed, desk, dining table/chairs, TV, and 2 couches still in my apartment. I could try to sell em off but I like the stuff and it's probably going to be a pain in the ass to sell it all and then buy new furniture. There's also the issue that my lease doesn't start till the day before orientation so unless they let me move in early, buying furniture once i get down there is going to be really annoying.

I would definitely move it all, but it's like $800 to rent a truck, and add gas on to that. I don't know what to do.


You might be able to get that down if you pick a different company--Uhaul, Budget, Penske and Ryder are the biggest--or location. You can negotiate with them too; "XYZ gave me unlimited miles," works pretty well. Also, some companies base their rate on how far you're going, so it may make sense to do a round trip or a partial round trip and then fly/drive back to Durham.

User avatar
someones alt
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:08 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby someones alt » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:14 pm

Better than IKEA is the fact that you'll be entering a town with a million furniture resale stores and an exodus of biglaw bound graduates who don't need their TTT furnishings anymore.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:51 pm

someones alt wrote:Better than IKEA is the fact that you'll be entering a town with a million furniture resale stores and an exodus of biglaw bound graduates who don't need their TTT furnishings anymore.


Do you have an address or phone number for 'TTT Furniture Direct'?

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby quakeroats » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:14 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
someones alt wrote:Better than IKEA is the fact that you'll be entering a town with a million furniture resale stores and an exodus of biglaw bound graduates who don't need their TTT furnishings anymore.


Do you have an address or phone number for 'TTT Furniture Direct'?


Van Hecke-Wettach Hall
160 Ridge Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27599

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:23 pm

quakeroats wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
someones alt wrote:Better than IKEA is the fact that you'll be entering a town with a million furniture resale stores and an exodus of biglaw bound graduates who don't need their TTT furnishings anymore.


Do you have an address or phone number for 'TTT Furniture Direct'?


Van Hecke-Wettach Hall
160 Ridge Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27599


Thats so mean! :lol:

Also, the Charlotte IKEA is quite a distance from Durham. I can see driving an hour each way for IKEA, but a 4 hour round trip is a bit much. You've crossed a horrible line when 'road trips' end with putting together a swedish dresser.

User avatar
ela7117
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:49 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby ela7117 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:54 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
someones alt wrote:Better than IKEA is the fact that you'll be entering a town with a million furniture resale stores and an exodus of biglaw bound graduates who don't need their TTT furnishings anymore.


Do you have an address or phone number for 'TTT Furniture Direct'?


Van Hecke-Wettach Hall
160 Ridge Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27599


Thats so mean! :lol:

Also, the Charlotte IKEA is quite a distance from Durham. I can see driving an hour each way for IKEA, but a 4 hour round trip is a bit much. You've crossed a horrible line when 'road trips' end with putting together a swedish dresser.


I would suggest a visit to the many used furniture stores, as another poster suggested. One I personally recommend is TROSA, which has a very noble mission in employing and providing for members overcoming substance abuse. TROSA operates many side businesses in Durham to support its mission, one of which is a furniture thrift store.
--LinkRemoved--
TROSA moving services is very popular too, in the event you move apartments.

There is also a local Salvation Army, Thrift World (so/so, more clothes centric), and Everything But Grannies Panties (really cool, lots of knick/knacks, some furniture), among many others.

User avatar
someones alt
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:08 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby someones alt » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:45 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
someones alt wrote:Better than IKEA is the fact that you'll be entering a town with a million furniture resale stores and an exodus of biglaw bound graduates who don't need their TTT furnishings anymore.


Do you have an address or phone number for 'TTT Furniture Direct'?


Nah I let others do the heavy lifting, I'm just here to make snarky comments every couple of days

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:54 pm

someones alt wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
someones alt wrote:Better than IKEA is the fact that you'll be entering a town with a million furniture resale stores and an exodus of biglaw bound graduates who don't need their TTT furnishings anymore.


Do you have an address or phone number for 'TTT Furniture Direct'?


Nah I let others do the heavy lifting, I'm just here to make snarky comments every couple of days


Looking for a study group? That is the exact attitude that would really help to bring a group together.

dondraper
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:17 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby dondraper » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:22 pm

poprox wrote:On another note I was at the law school earlier (no internet service at my place yet), sitting outside minding my business and this dude rushes out, smoking a cigarette. Right away he starts walking in circles frantically next to the tables just outside the door, steps from me. It was dark out and I sort of panicked - this guy seemed totally unstable and my sixth sense was screaming 'get the fock away from this dude NOW!'. He was circling fast like 1) Sht had totally hit the fan -and- 2) He was trying to get blood flowing to stay awake and keep working

He finally went back in the building after 5 mins or so. When I was walking back to my car in the Chem lot I saw him on a computer in the library (only one in there). Then it struck me - this guy must be one of the summer starters. If this is what happens after just a few weeks - OH.SHIT.



I'm a summer starter and we have finals this week so right now we are kind of crazy, but that guy was definitely studying for the bar.

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7119
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby los blancos » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:26 pm

dondraper wrote:I'm a summer starter and we have finals this week


Good luck!

User avatar
DallasCowboy
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:47 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby DallasCowboy » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:46 pm

so, do the summer starters not take any core classes with the fall starters in 1L? I wonder how big the advantage is of already taking law exams and knowing how you performed.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:03 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:so, do the summer starters not take any core classes with the fall starters in 1L? I wonder how big the advantage is of already taking law exams and knowing how you performed.


A hefty advantage I would say. Summer starters take property with section 6 and torts with section 2 (supposedly). I would love to hear from more summer starters about it all once they take their finals.

User avatar
DallasCowboy
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:47 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby DallasCowboy » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:14 pm

Good luck with that, we're entering a war zone. Get your guns ready.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:33 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:Good luck with that, we're entering a war zone. Get your guns ready.


No room for absolute gain in law school? Must it be a zero-sum battle?


....bring it on :twisted:

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:04 pm

Not sure if anyone needs a backpack, but this week Staples is giving a 100% refund on the cost of all backpacks. I figure its time to trade in my Ghostbusters one for something a bit more 'law school.'

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby quakeroats » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:29 pm

Jericwithers wrote:Not sure if anyone needs a backpack, but this week Staples is giving a 100% refund on the cost of all backpacks. I figure its time to trade in my Ghostbusters one for something a bit more 'law school.'


What's the verdict on backpacks v. messenger bags?

User avatar
Reedie
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:46 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Reedie » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:00 pm

quakeroats wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:Not sure if anyone needs a backpack, but this week Staples is giving a 100% refund on the cost of all backpacks. I figure its time to trade in my Ghostbusters one for something a bit more 'law school.'


What's the verdict on backpacks v. messenger bags?


4% of backpack owners got a V10 2L SA compared with 6% of messenger back owners.

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby quakeroats » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:53 pm

Reedie wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:Not sure if anyone needs a backpack, but this week Staples is giving a 100% refund on the cost of all backpacks. I figure its time to trade in my Ghostbusters one for something a bit more 'law school.'


What's the verdict on backpacks v. messenger bags?


4% of backpack owners got a V10 2L SA compared with 6% of messenger back owners.


lol! I love subtle allusions!
Last edited by quakeroats on Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby thickfreakness » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:00 am

I have a "messenger bag" (also known as a man purse) that I used in undergrad. It's hip and everything, but it can't hold a ton of stuff. I'm getting a backpack.

Movers picked stuff up yesterday, going to sign the lease tomorrow, stuff will show up some time next week.

Alabama is going to rule college football again next year. When they come to Durham you all will have the opportunity to now witness the power of this fully armed and operational football team.

I need sleep.

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7119
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby los blancos » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:23 am

I think I might go with something like this for the move:

http://www.upack.com/moving-services/mo ... r-size.asp




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest