Page 58 of 101

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:30 am
by thickfreakness
I've been doing a bit of reading myself before 1L starts, but I have a hard time getting into fiction. Re-read The Gulag Archipelago and Crime and Punishment, just finished Stranger in a Strange Land, and I'm working through The Road to Serfdom now. I really want to be able to squeeze in Democracy in America before the semester starts, but it's a beast.

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:44 am
by Jericwithers
I won't do any reading unless it gives me an advantage in my 1L classes.

<insert gunner image>

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:19 pm
by paralegal
Posted in the TLS Employment Forum:

86/200 Cornell Class of 2011 have SA positions: abovethelaw....that's 40%....ouch.


Duke Class of 2011....
62-65% of the class got SA positions at firms.
V10: 11%, V20: 18%, V50: 31%, V100: 39%

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:24 pm
by thickfreakness
paralegal wrote:Posted in the TLS Employment Forum:

86/200 Cornell Class of 2011 have SA positions: abovethelaw....that's 40%....ouch.


Duke Class of 2011....
62-65% of the class got SA positions at firms.
V10: 11%, V20: 18%, V50: 31%, V100: 39%


Well duh, Cornell's not T12.

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:01 pm
by Jericwithers
paralegal wrote:Posted in the TLS Employment Forum:

86/200 Cornell Class of 2011 have SA positions: abovethelaw....that's 40%....ouch.


Duke Class of 2011....
62-65% of the class got SA positions at firms.
V10: 11%, V20: 18%, V50: 31%, V100: 39%


Duke should put out a list like this for comparison's sake (a list solely of people who obtained firm jobs through OCI). Our 60%+ might not be computed the same as Cornell's 40%, but our 39% V100 shows that Duke is at least matching Cornell's OCI (and placing in 'better' firms too).

I just can't help but worry what a class size of 240 will do to our chances. It's my biggest fear/unknown about Duke.

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:27 pm
by paralegal
Jericwithers wrote:Duke should put out a list like this for comparison's sake (a list solely of people who obtained firm jobs through OCI). Our 60%+ might not be computed the same as Cornell's 40%, but our 39% V100 shows that Duke is at least matching Cornell's OCI (and placing in 'better' firms too).
I just can't help but worry what a class size of 240 will do to our chances. It's my biggest fear/unknown about Duke.


Masochistic -

As a comparison to Cornell's data, is there a list for the Duke Class of 2011 showing SA positions obtained through OCI?

The information obtained re Cornell's 40% was reported by abovethelaw.

Thanks.

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:58 pm
by ObviouslyMasochistic
paralegal wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:Duke should put out a list like this for comparison's sake (a list solely of people who obtained firm jobs through OCI). Our 60%+ might not be computed the same as Cornell's 40%, but our 39% V100 shows that Duke is at least matching Cornell's OCI (and placing in 'better' firms too).
I just can't help but worry what a class size of 240 will do to our chances. It's my biggest fear/unknown about Duke.


Masochistic -

As a comparison to Cornell's data, is there a list for the Duke Class of 2011 showing SA positions obtained through OCI?

The information obtained re Cornell's 40% was reported by abovethelaw.

Thanks.


I don't think Duke gave us a specific list that separates out OCI jobs obtained from overall jobs obtained by the class of 2011. I agree that it would be nice for comparison purposes, but I don't think that data has been made available to us.

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:25 pm
by Reedie
Jericwithers wrote:
I just can't help but worry what a class size of 240 will do to our chances. It's my biggest fear/unknown about Duke.


Any particular reason you have that number?

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:58 pm
by Jericwithers
Reedie wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
I just can't help but worry what a class size of 240 will do to our chances. It's my biggest fear/unknown about Duke.


Any particular reason you have that number?


The last number I saw was 243 in late June, so I rounded down to an even number (I like round, even numbers). My hope is that our class includes an unusually large summer section that won't graduate until 2014, but I guess we still have to 'compete' with the summer starters for 2L SA summer gigs so it wouldn't make a difference.

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:32 pm
by pelmen74
Jericwithers wrote:
Reedie wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
I just can't help but worry what a class size of 240 will do to our chances. It's my biggest fear/unknown about Duke.


Any particular reason you have that number?


The last number I saw was 243 in late June, so I rounded down to an even number (I like round, even numbers). My hope is that our class includes an unusually large summer section that won't graduate until 2014, but I guess we still have to 'compete' with the summer starters for 2L SA summer gigs so it wouldn't make a difference.


My guess is that Duke will simply not admit any transfers into the 2013 class. This will probably make the difference between out class and others, at least at 2L OCI, less significant.

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:53 pm
by Bosque
Reedie wrote:Since we are sharing A Song of Ice and Fire(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Song_of_Ice_and_Fire) has been my main time wasting enterprise this year. I highly recommend it, It's the best fundamental writing I've ever seen in a fantasy series. The characters and dialog are absolutely fantastic, Tyrion Lannister is the single best character I've ever seen in a fantasy series.


GEORGE RR MARTIN IS MY FAVORITE AUTHOR OF ALL TIME.

Your cool points just went way up by mentioning this.

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:49 pm
by someones alt
yeah hes okay for a neckbeard, but hes not on the same level as stephenie meyer fwiw

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:13 pm
by Bosque
someones alt wrote:yeah hes okay for a neckbeard, but hes not on the same level as stephenie meyer fwiw


If I was not 100% sure you are joking, my opinion of you would have just plummeted to the boorish ignoramus level.

In any case, I will end you for this.

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:18 pm
by Jericwithers
Bosque wrote:
someones alt wrote:yeah hes okay for a neckbeard, but hes not on the same level as stephenie meyer fwiw


If I was not 100% sure you are joking, my opinion of you would have just plummeted to the boorish ignoramus level.

In any case, I will end you for this.


The free market can't be wrong. Meyer > Martin

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:20 pm
by Bosque
Jericwithers wrote:
Bosque wrote:
someones alt wrote:yeah hes okay for a neckbeard, but hes not on the same level as stephenie meyer fwiw


If I was not 100% sure you are joking, my opinion of you would have just plummeted to the boorish ignoramus level.

In any case, I will end you for this.


The free market can't be wrong. Meyer > Martin


DIAF. That is all.

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:22 pm
by Jericwithers
Bosque wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
Bosque wrote:
someones alt wrote:yeah hes okay for a neckbeard, but hes not on the same level as stephenie meyer fwiw


If I was not 100% sure you are joking, my opinion of you would have just plummeted to the boorish ignoramus level.

In any case, I will end you for this.


The free market can't be wrong. Meyer > Martin


DIAF. That is all.


Just read that Martin's books are going to be a series on HBO. My interest in them has tripled.

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:41 pm
by Reedie
Bosque wrote:
Reedie wrote:Since we are sharing A Song of Ice and Fire(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Song_of_Ice_and_Fire) has been my main time wasting enterprise this year. I highly recommend it, It's the best fundamental writing I've ever seen in a fantasy series. The characters and dialog are absolutely fantastic, Tyrion Lannister is the single best character I've ever seen in a fantasy series.


GEORGE RR MARTIN IS MY FAVORITE AUTHOR OF ALL TIME.

Your cool points just went way up by mentioning this.


I hadn't really read any fantasy writing since junior high, but I've picked up a few things recently. Martin's writing is just outstanding. I grew up on Tolkein, but there is no doubt in my mind that Martin is the better writer with better characters and better dialogue. Tolkein probably does have the more intricate and fantastic universe, but his writing (purposefully) lacks the realism and complexity of Martin's series. I just hope he finishes it!

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:42 pm
by Bosque
Reedie wrote:
Bosque wrote:
Reedie wrote:Since we are sharing A Song of Ice and Fire(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Song_of_Ice_and_Fire) has been my main time wasting enterprise this year. I highly recommend it, It's the best fundamental writing I've ever seen in a fantasy series. The characters and dialog are absolutely fantastic, Tyrion Lannister is the single best character I've ever seen in a fantasy series.


GEORGE RR MARTIN IS MY FAVORITE AUTHOR OF ALL TIME.

Your cool points just went way up by mentioning this.


I hadn't really read any fantasy writing since junior high, but I've picked up a few things recently. Martin's writing is just outstanding. I grew up on Tolkein, but there is no doubt in my mind that Martin is the better writer with better characters and better dialogue. Tolkein probably does have the more intricate and fantastic universe, but his writing (purposefully) lacks the realism and complexity of Martin's series. I just hope he finishes it!


Tolkein's world is cool, but he writes like a history textbook. A boring history textbook.

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:41 pm
by Jericwithers
Any rising 2Ls have recommendations for a specific commercial outline brand, or any commercial outlines you are willing to sell?

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:49 pm
by prezidentv8
Jericwithers wrote:Any rising 2Ls have recommendations for a specific commercial outline brand, or any commercial outlines you are willing to sell?


I have many leather bound books[, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany]. But seriously, if anyone wants to PM when they get their classes, I'm generally willing to sell off books/supplements, with a couple exceptions.

I like E&Es generally, minus crim, and really like the Friedenthal, Kane, and Miller hornbook for Civpro. But generally I'm a supplement type dude...E&E + hornbook for each class = win.

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:12 pm
by Reedie
What's up with law students always rising? Can I be a falling 1L?

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:39 pm
by Bosque
Reedie wrote:What's up with law students always rising? Can I be a falling 1L?


You don't want to be a falling 1L.

Oh, and as for supplements. For Contracts, I just have three words.

THE

BOAT

BOOK.

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:25 pm
by prezidentv8
Bosque wrote:
Reedie wrote:What's up with law students always rising? Can I be a falling 1L?


You don't want to be a falling 1L.

Oh, and as for supplements. For Contracts, I just have three words.

THE

BOAT

BOOK.


Indeed.

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:32 pm
by Jericwithers
prezidentv8 wrote:
Bosque wrote:
Reedie wrote:What's up with law students always rising? Can I be a falling 1L?


You don't want to be a falling 1L.

Oh, and as for supplements. For Contracts, I just have three words.

THE

BOAT

BOOK.


Indeed.


THE boat book? Link?

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:04 am
by prezidentv8