Duke Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
someones alt
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:08 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby someones alt » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:17 pm

ilu bosque

paralegal
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby paralegal » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:25 pm

someones alt wrote:my favorite part about him is you know because he went to Yale for undergrad he feels like Duke is a downgrade so hes going to be an ultra striver


.....or....could it be.....that the presence of the Yale grad at Duke's ASW indicates that Duke Law is top ranked....

At ASW, I personally met several grads from Harvard and Yale choosing Duke over Columbia, Chicago, NYU, Michigan, and UVA.....

someones alt wrote:ultra striver


not surprising...Yale grads are typically overachievers....

User avatar
someones alt
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:08 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby someones alt » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:45 pm

paralegal wrote:
someones alt wrote:my favorite part about him is you know because he went to Yale for undergrad he feels like Duke is a downgrade so hes going to be an ultra striver


.....or....could it be.....that the presence of the Yale grad at Duke's ASW indicates that Duke Law is top ranked....

At ASW, I personally met several grads from Harvard and Yale choosing Duke over Columbia, Chicago, NYU, Michigan, and UVA.....

someones alt wrote:ultra striver


not surprising...Yale grads are typically overachievers....


Why would anyone pick Duke over any of those schools?!

Edit: I think it's fine to point and laugh at Yale guy, the same way I'd expect to be laughed at for the same thing. The reason I'm picking Duke over the schools you mentioned is because I feel like its community is so close knit and friendly that it's okay to joke and make fun of one another. I don't feel like any of the joking around we have been doing on TLS is malicious in any way, evidenced by the fact that everyone is still saying "I'm sure he's chill, we just need to hang out and drink". I'm sure every single person on this website who went to ASW asked gunnerish questions to current students and acted on nervous impulses, and it's okay to laugh at ourselves for that. The reason the Yale guy is funny in the first place is bc everyone in the T-14 (T-12) is a gunner to some extent, and we can all relate.

User avatar
someones alt
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:08 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby someones alt » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:39 pm

edit: see post below
Last edited by someones alt on Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby thickfreakness » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:44 pm

I thought they passed out 2009 post-graduate outcomes and 2010 summer placements, which would in some sense be a reflection of how that class fared during OCI...

User avatar
someones alt
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:08 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby someones alt » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:48 pm

thickfreakness wrote:I thought they passed out 2009 post-graduate outcomes and 2010 summer placements, which would in some sense be a reflection of how that class fared during OCI...


Yeah sorry, my initial post I screwed up what I wanted to say because in my head I get mixed up with regards to graduation year vs. OCI. Actually what I'm most interested in is data from last years OCI (which would be class of 2011). Is this whats reflected in the 2010 summer placement sheet? bc I lost that.

They probably had it the worst of any class, and so I'm curious how things panned out. Is this data available online somewhere, or can current students give anecdotal evidence for % of people getting summer offers?

paralegal
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby paralegal » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:21 pm

someones alt wrote:Why would anyone pick Duke over any of those schools?!


EDIT: I’ve posted this before on TLS: I work at a V20 biglaw firm, and all of the T14 law schools are highly regarded here. We have partners and associates from Harvard, Columbia, Yale, Stanford, Duke, Michigan, UVA, NYU, Chicago, Georgetown and others. At this firm, the T14 are not divided into tiers as on TLS (T10, T11-14). All the partners and associates have mutual admiration and respect for one another: an attorney from Michigan or UVA is not regarded more highly than one from Duke or Georgetown. However, what "all of them have in common and without exception" is that they all graduated in the top of their class, Order of the Coif, and on law journal.

Consideration of which T14 to attend should also include where one feels one is most likely to excel. This is a highly reputable firm and noted as one of the top firms. I've had many conversations with the recruiter at this office re hiring from the T14. Graduating from a T14 is significant, but it's not going to get you in through the front door here without top grades. The hiring protocol at this firm is to diversify within the T14 by hiring a few students from each law school with top grades. There is not a preference for one T14 law school nor is this firm dominated by one T14 law school.

why one chooses one T14 over another is highly personal..

smaller class size than Michigan, UVA, Columbia, NYU..
“big fish in small pond”
better odds at getting on law journal..
semester system rather than quarter system (accelerated classes) – Chicago
highly competitive student body – Columbia, Chicago
non-competitive, laid-back student body – Duke (law school is stressful enough)
smaller class size dispersing into several legal markets; students compete less against one another for employment – especially ITE with fewer offers.

Just a few reasons why one might choose Duke…
Last edited by paralegal on Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
beantowngunnahh
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:29 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby beantowngunnahh » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:42 pm

paralegal wrote:
someones alt wrote:Why would anyone pick Duke over any of those schools?!


I’ve posted this before on TLS…that I work at a V20 biglaw firm, and all of the T14 law schools are highly regarded here. We have partners from Harvard, Columbia, Yale, Stanford, Duke, Michigan, UVA, NYU, Chicago, and others…At this firm, the T14 are not divided into tiers as on TLS. The partners have mutual admiration and respect for one another…..but I will tell you what they do have in common….and more importantly where the distinction lies within the T14 – without exception, they all graduated in the top of their class, Order of the Coif, and on law journal.

Consideration of which T14 to attend should also include where one feels one is more likely to excel because grades and law journal determine the distinction within the T14 at this firm.

why one chooses one T14 over another is highly personal..

smaller class size than Michigan, UVA, Columbia, NYU..
“big fish in small pond”
better odds at getting on law journal..
semester system rather than quarter system (accelerated classes) – Chicago
highly competitive student body – Columbia, Chicago
non-competitive, laid-back student body – Duke (law school is stressful enough)
smaller class size dispersing into several legal markets; students compete less against one another for employment – especially ITE with fewer offers.

Just a few reasons why one might choose Duke…


Are they all well-versed in Brazilian law? I'm starting to think I should read up on some of that....

User avatar
someones alt
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:08 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby someones alt » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:46 pm

I was joking because I'm picking Duke over everyone of those schools, but thanks for the insight. How busy is your firm ATM? I've heard anecdotally from people in V20s that their firm is pre-ITE busy.

paralegal
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby paralegal » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:52 pm

someones alt wrote:How busy is your firm ATM? I've heard anecdotally from people in V20s that their firm is pre-ITE busy.


Our firm is absolutely swamped. We have over 270 attorneys at this office alone...and we can barely keep up with the workload...

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:20 pm

What is this mentor thing that Bosque mentioned during the orientation week? Anyone know how to sign up to get one?

User avatar
ObviouslyMasochistic
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 12:40 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby ObviouslyMasochistic » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:55 pm

Jericwithers wrote:What is this mentor thing that Bosque mentioned during the orientation week? Anyone know how to sign up to get one?


All rising 1Ls are automatically assigned a mentor. If you're lucky, I might be your mentor! :shock:

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Bosque » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:12 pm

ObviouslyMasochistic wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:What is this mentor thing that Bosque mentioned during the orientation week? Anyone know how to sign up to get one?


All rising 1Ls are automatically assigned a mentor. If you're lucky, I might be your mentor! :shock:


Not true. You have to fill out an interest form that DBA send out, or else you don't get a mentor. So check your email if you want one. I missed the form, and thus was left mentorless.

I think I missed the sign up to serve as a mentor too. Oh well, I am all of your unofficial mentor. Feel free to ask me anything.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby thickfreakness » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:12 pm

Bosque wrote:
ObviouslyMasochistic wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:What is this mentor thing that Bosque mentioned during the orientation week? Anyone know how to sign up to get one?


All rising 1Ls are automatically assigned a mentor. If you're lucky, I might be your mentor! :shock:


Not true. You have to fill out an interest form that DBA send out, or else you don't get a mentor. So check your email if you want one. I missed the form, and thus was left mentorless.

I think I missed the sign up to serve as a mentor too. Oh well, I am all of your unofficial mentor. Feel free to ask me anything.


Okay. Where do babies come from?

pelmen74
Posts: 156
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby pelmen74 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:19 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
Bosque wrote:
ObviouslyMasochistic wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:What is this mentor thing that Bosque mentioned during the orientation week? Anyone know how to sign up to get one?


All rising 1Ls are automatically assigned a mentor. If you're lucky, I might be your mentor! :shock:


Not true. You have to fill out an interest form that DBA send out, or else you don't get a mentor. So check your email if you want one. I missed the form, and thus was left mentorless.

I think I missed the sign up to serve as a mentor too. Oh well, I am all of your unofficial mentor. Feel free to ask me anything.


Okay. Where do babies come from?


+1, anyone get this email yet?

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:25 pm

pelmen74 wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:Okay. Where do babies come from?


+1, anyone get this email yet?


It should be covered in orientation. Ask around whenever you first arrive for the 'baby making' class.

User avatar
worldwithoutend
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:56 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby worldwithoutend » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:27 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
pelmen74 wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:Okay. Where do babies come from?


+1, anyone get this email yet?


It should be covered in orientation. Ask around whenever you first arrive for the 'baby making' class.


This is one area where some substantive 0L prep would be warranted.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby prezidentv8 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:27 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
pelmen74 wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:Okay. Where do babies come from?


+1, anyone get this email yet?


It should be covered in orientation. Ask around whenever you first arrive for the 'baby making' class.


On a slightly related note, on the first day of class my LARW prof mentioned that some significant portion of his first LARW class is now married to each other.

Soooo that might be part of it.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:02 am

prezidentv8 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
pelmen74 wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:Okay. Where do babies come from?


+1, anyone get this email yet?


It should be covered in orientation. Ask around whenever you first arrive for the 'baby making' class.


On a slightly related note, on the first day of class my LARW prof mentioned that some significant portion of his first LARW class is now married to each other.

Soooo that might be part of it.


Do many law school students date each other? I was considering hanging out at the DUMC for that purpose (or UG tour groups as someonesalt ratted me out on).

pelmen74
Posts: 156
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby pelmen74 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:59 am

Do many law school students date each other? I was considering hanging out at the DUMC for that purpose (or UG tour groups as wonder someonesalt ratted me out on).


I what the M/F ration is going to be. :roll:
Last edited by pelmen74 on Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:59 am

pelmen74 wrote:
Do many law school students date each other? I was considering hanging out at the DUMC for that purpose (or UG tour groups as wonder someonesalt ratted me out on).


I what the M/F ration is going to be.


Historically isn't it like 60m/40f? :shock:

pelmen74
Posts: 156
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby pelmen74 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:02 am

Jericwithers wrote:
pelmen74 wrote:
Do many law school students date each other? I was considering hanging out at the DUMC for that purpose (or UG tour groups as wonder someonesalt ratted me out on).


I what the M/F ration is going to be.


Historically isn't it like 60m/40f? :shock:


I'm sure my girlfriend is going to be happy about that. :)

User avatar
someones alt
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:08 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby someones alt » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:14 am

Pretty sure Tucker Max said something like the best part about being a Duke law student is sharing the fact with sorority girls at UNC or something along those lines. Dating within the class is definitely credited if you think you'll be below median and the girl is biglaw bound though.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:17 am

someones alt wrote:Pretty sure Tucker Max said something like the best part about being a Duke law student is sharing the fact with sorority girls at UNC or something along those lines. Dating within the class is definitely credited if you think you'll be below median and the girl is biglaw bound though.


Hah, thats so manipulative though! Hitching my wagon to a Duke med student is much less sinister (they are all destined for greatness, right?).

User avatar
someones alt
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:08 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby someones alt » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:17 am

Bosque wrote:Oh well, I am all of your unofficial mentor. Feel free to ask me anything.


How are you enjoying summer work/ what are you doing?




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest