Duke Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7118
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby los blancos » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:03 pm

someones alt wrote:Does anyone know if parking usually sells out or if we can get it a little later? They gave us a decent amount of time to acquire the pass, and I'm still debating if I need one since I'll be ~1 mile from west campus.


Where are you living?

I've spent most of today doing the online apartment search. I really want to live somewhere that's within ~2.5mi so I can bike to school. Thinking about Pinnacle Ridge now... Evergreen and Addington Farms are both closer to 4 mi away, which is just a little too far I think. The Green Zone is apparently like half a mile (5-10 min walk) away from towerview & science, so as long as something is <15-20 min biking from the law school building, you're saving time.

User avatar
someones alt
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:08 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby someones alt » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:54 pm

los blancos wrote:
someones alt wrote:Does anyone know if parking usually sells out or if we can get it a little later? They gave us a decent amount of time to acquire the pass, and I'm still debating if I need one since I'll be ~1 mile from west campus.


Where are you living?

I've spent most of today doing the online apartment search. I really want to live somewhere that's within ~2.5mi so I can bike to school. Thinking about Pinnacle Ridge now... Evergreen and Addington Farms are both closer to 4 mi away, which is just a little too far I think. The Green Zone is apparently like half a mile (5-10 min walk) away from towerview & science, so as long as something is <15-20 min biking from the law school building, you're saving time.


Colonial Village-Deerfield. I'm a mountain biker and having a trail right through the Duke forest is too hard to pass up. My only concern is rain/ice/snow etc.

User avatar
someones alt
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:08 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby someones alt » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:56 pm

Okay I'd seriously rather study for the lsat then deal with all of this immunization paperwork.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:56 pm

someones alt wrote:Okay I'd seriously rather study for the lsat then deal with all of this immunization paperwork.


If you had to send immunization records for UG then just request those and go to the same doctor listed there, or see if Duke will accept a fax of that form from your university.

You people are crazy for wanting to bike to class. I did it for a year and a half in UG, and the last time I did was the happiest day in my life.

I received my parking permit already, so that was a quick turnaround. I haven't even been charged for it yet (but I'm sure the bill will come soon enough). I'm not sure if they limit the number of green permits given out or not, but the website sure doesn't convey a big sense of urgency like they will eventually run out.

User avatar
someones alt
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:08 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby someones alt » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:58 pm

I'm just being dramatic. I'm going to my doctor tomorrow who has all of it, I just find it annoying I've got have him sign a form and mail it in, and then send in an actual record of my immunizations, and fill out an online copy.

FirstTierToilet
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:56 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby FirstTierToilet » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:59 pm

Duke achieved 100% employment for its grads.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby thickfreakness » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:03 pm

My pediatrician basically gave me the middle finger and wouldn't sign the form, but wouldn't see me for an office visit either to reconfirm everything. So I had to get a hard copy of the shot records and now I'm trying to find a doctor here to sign off on the form. It's been a pain.

User avatar
someones alt
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:08 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby someones alt » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:10 pm

FirstTierToilet wrote:Duke achieved 100% employment for its grads.


so preftigious and alpha of duke

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7118
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby los blancos » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:25 pm

someones alt wrote:
los blancos wrote:
someones alt wrote:Does anyone know if parking usually sells out or if we can get it a little later? They gave us a decent amount of time to acquire the pass, and I'm still debating if I need one since I'll be ~1 mile from west campus.


Where are you living?

I've spent most of today doing the online apartment search. I really want to live somewhere that's within ~2.5mi so I can bike to school. Thinking about Pinnacle Ridge now... Evergreen and Addington Farms are both closer to 4 mi away, which is just a little too far I think. The Green Zone is apparently like half a mile (5-10 min walk) away from towerview & science, so as long as something is <15-20 min biking from the law school building, you're saving time.


Colonial Village-Deerfield. I'm a mountain biker and having a trail right through the Duke forest is too hard to pass up. My only concern is rain/ice/snow etc.


Hmm, I remember not liking that complex for some reason on the tour. That said, I think it's probably one of my most likely destinations.

Has anyone heard of this? http://www.goldenbeltarts.com/index.shtml

User avatar
someones alt
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:08 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby someones alt » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:43 pm

los blancos wrote:
someones alt wrote:
los blancos wrote:
someones alt wrote:Does anyone know if parking usually sells out or if we can get it a little later? They gave us a decent amount of time to acquire the pass, and I'm still debating if I need one since I'll be ~1 mile from west campus.


Where are you living?

I've spent most of today doing the online apartment search. I really want to live somewhere that's within ~2.5mi so I can bike to school. Thinking about Pinnacle Ridge now... Evergreen and Addington Farms are both closer to 4 mi away, which is just a little too far I think. The Green Zone is apparently like half a mile (5-10 min walk) away from towerview & science, so as long as something is <15-20 min biking from the law school building, you're saving time.


Colonial Village-Deerfield. I'm a mountain biker and having a trail right through the Duke forest is too hard to pass up. My only concern is rain/ice/snow etc.


Hmm, I remember not liking that complex for some reason on the tour. That said, I think it's probably one of my most likely destinations.

Has anyone heard of this? http://www.goldenbeltarts.com/index.shtml


Yeah its definitely not as nice as other apartments, but it is cheaper than anywhere else I found. It's going to be 450/mo with cable included thanks to my roommate having lived there before and being locked into last years rate. And it may be a trivial issue for anyone else, but I needed a washer and dryer included in the unit. I am completely unwilling to travel or go back and forth to a laundry room to wash my clothes. With that + bike trail, idc that pinnacle ridge has more law students or newer kitchen appliances.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:54 pm

someones alt wrote:I'm just being dramatic. I'm going to my doctor tomorrow who has all of it, I just find it annoying I've got have him sign a form and mail it in, and then send in an actual record of my immunizations, and fill out an online copy.


Wait, we have to do all that?!

Crap....now I have to start worrying about it too.

EDIT: I don't think we have to send in the actual records of the immunizations, but instead just the form we have filled out by our healthcare provider (and fill it out online as well). This is what I understood from the '2010 Enrolled Student Information' packet.

User avatar
someones alt
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:08 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby someones alt » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:21 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
someones alt wrote:I'm just being dramatic. I'm going to my doctor tomorrow who has all of it, I just find it annoying I've got have him sign a form and mail it in, and then send in an actual record of my immunizations, and fill out an online copy.


Wait, we have to do all that?!

Crap....now I have to start worrying about it too.

EDIT: I don't think we have to send in the actual records of the immunizations, but instead just the form we have filled out by our healthcare provider (and fill it out online as well). This is what I understood from the '2010 Enrolled Student Information' packet.


I'm just going by this form:
http://www.studentaffairs.duke.edu/site ... _15409.pdf

Which I found on this site: http://www.studentaffairs.duke.edu/stud ... quirements

Which is what is linked to under "Immunization Requirements" of the admitted students website. Honestly, I think the instructions are really unclear and finding the form explaining what I needed to provide to them was an internet scavenger hunt.

I'd love if there is a different instruction set for law students or maybe better information in an email I overlooked or something. I'm just going to try my best to take care of all three forms tomorrow and put the day behind me.

User avatar
beantowngunnahh
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:29 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby beantowngunnahh » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:35 pm

I took care of immunizations a little while ago. No sweat. If your current doctor doesn't have records of your immunizations for UG in your med records (which for me encompassed everything required by Duke) then have your UG fax them to any doctor and they'll fill out the form and give you everything you need on the spot. Fax the form in and you're all done. You don't need to send in your records, the signature is all they require. A couple days later I got an email at my Duke account confirming that I'd met all the requirements.

Agreed re the quick turnaround on the parking pass. 2 days I think it was.

I've read that Duke has been offering research positions on campus to 3Ls who haven't found employment in order to maintain their prized 100% employment stat. Any current students heard of this? I've read so many dismal articles about the Biglaw job market that I've just about convinced myself that I'm pissing away 150k on my law school education. I know Biglaw or bust is a pretty false and misguided premise to work from, but, I don't know, I'm disheartened.

Anyone feel like talking me away from the cliff?

User avatar
someones alt
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:08 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby someones alt » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:54 am

So I'm new to finaid. I know in ACES it lists a specific disbursement date for our loans, and assuming one is signed up for direct deposit is it a reasonable expectation that you should get your money that day? I'm only asking because I've heard a lot of banter from people on the forum/at my undergrad about how awful dealing with the finaid office and getting loan money is. Should I be planning to finance my first semesters books out of my pocket?

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7118
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby los blancos » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:02 am

someones alt, I looked at your profile, and now I think I met you during ASW. :mrgreen:


I'm going to make some calls tomorrow. Still considering:
Alexan Place
Colonial Village
Evergreens
Golden Belt

Will probably end up picking from those depending on availability/pricing.

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7118
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby los blancos » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:48 am

Does anyone know anything about The Parc at University Tower?

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:54 am

someones alt wrote:So I'm new to finaid. I know in ACES it lists a specific disbursement date for our loans, and assuming one is signed up for direct deposit is it a reasonable expectation that you should get your money that day? I'm only asking because I've heard a lot of banter from people on the forum/at my undergrad about how awful dealing with the finaid office and getting loan money is. Should I be planning to finance my first semesters books out of my pocket?


I would think having the money by the 14th would be a reasonable expectation. The research/writing class starts on the 16th and all other classes on the 23rd. That seems like plenty of time to receive loan money to purchase books with.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby thickfreakness » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:58 am

los blancos wrote:Does anyone know anything about The Parc at University Tower?


Stay away. I tried to look at an apartment and they basically ignored me for 30 minutes while I sat in the lobby. The rent is way high, too. From my visit the staff seemed really, really awful.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:10 pm

beantowngunnahh wrote:I took care of immunizations a little while ago. No sweat. If your current doctor doesn't have records of your immunizations for UG in your med records (which for me encompassed everything required by Duke) then have your UG fax them to any doctor and they'll fill out the form and give you everything you need on the spot. Fax the form in and you're all done. You don't need to send in your records, the signature is all they require. A couple days later I got an email at my Duke account confirming that I'd met all the requirements.

Agreed re the quick turnaround on the parking pass. 2 days I think it was.

I've read that Duke has been offering research positions on campus to 3Ls who haven't found employment in order to maintain their prized 100% employment stat. Any current students heard of this? I've read so many dismal articles about the Biglaw job market that I've just about convinced myself that I'm pissing away 150k on my law school education. I know Biglaw or bust is a pretty false and misguided premise to work from, but, I don't know, I'm disheartened.

Anyone feel like talking me away from the cliff?


We are all fearful (to some degree) when we look over the edge of the cliff, but the trick is to be prepared for the jump. While biglaw isn't a guarantee, you are still going to an elite legal institution with a network and reputation that allows for the possibility to do whatever you want after graduating. I, personally, look at success as a factor of motivation, dedication, and staying positive. If you can keep those 3 traits while learning the skills of a lawyer then I don't think you will have a problem landing a biglaw job or whatever it is you want. It's a small class and not everyone in the top 40% will want to go to biglaw, so if you perform at the best of your abilities you will surely land the requisite GPA for a biglaw job. You just can't shy away from doing the footwork and networking that is so invaluable to getting hired anywhere (don't just rely on OCI). There will always be people predicting dooms day is upon us, but don't let their negativity stop you from aspiring and working toward your goals.

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7118
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby los blancos » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:24 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
los blancos wrote:Does anyone know anything about The Parc at University Tower?


Stay away. I tried to look at an apartment and they basically ignored me for 30 minutes while I sat in the lobby. The rent is way high, too. From my visit the staff seemed really, really awful.


Hmm, they've been pretty good over the phone. I'm waiting on some pictures but the main reason I'm considering it is it's ~2.5mi from the law school. I guess whether the price is high or not depends a bit on how nice the place is on the inside.

Also considering the Belmont now. And Pinnacle Ridge.

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7118
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby los blancos » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:29 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
beantowngunnahh wrote:I took care of immunizations a little while ago. No sweat. If your current doctor doesn't have records of your immunizations for UG in your med records (which for me encompassed everything required by Duke) then have your UG fax them to any doctor and they'll fill out the form and give you everything you need on the spot. Fax the form in and you're all done. You don't need to send in your records, the signature is all they require. A couple days later I got an email at my Duke account confirming that I'd met all the requirements.

Agreed re the quick turnaround on the parking pass. 2 days I think it was.

I've read that Duke has been offering research positions on campus to 3Ls who haven't found employment in order to maintain their prized 100% employment stat. Any current students heard of this? I've read so many dismal articles about the Biglaw job market that I've just about convinced myself that I'm pissing away 150k on my law school education. I know Biglaw or bust is a pretty false and misguided premise to work from, but, I don't know, I'm disheartened.

Anyone feel like talking me away from the cliff?


We are all fearful (to some degree) when we look over the edge of the cliff, but the trick is to be prepared for the jump. While biglaw isn't a guarantee, you are still going to an elite legal institution with a network and reputation that allows for the possibility to do whatever you want after graduating. I, personally, look at success as a factor of motivation, dedication, and staying positive. If you can keep those 3 traits while learning the skills of a lawyer then I don't think you will have a problem landing a biglaw job or whatever it is you want. It's a small class and not everyone in the top 40% will want to go to biglaw, so if you perform at the best of your abilities you will surely land the requisite GPA for a biglaw job. You just can't shy away from doing the footwork and networking that is so invaluable to getting hired anywhere (don't just rely on OCI). There will always be people predicting dooms day is upon us, but don't let their negativity stop you from aspiring and working toward your goals.



~50% got NLJ250 jobs in 2009 (109/219 students). That's not bad considering that a substantial portion of the top half of the class is going to go for clerkships/DoJ/smaller boutique firms/etc. Which, if my potentially flawed reasoning is right, means that being around median still gives you a shot at BigLaw (yes, yes I know NLJ250 ≠ BigLaw, but it's a decent rough proxy since there are also firms that pay market that aren't a part of the NLJ250 and Duke places decent numbers into places like TX and CA that some say are underrepresented by the NLJ250)

paralegal
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby paralegal » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:53 pm

New York Times…June 22, 2010…front page article entitled “In Law Schools Grades Go Up, Just Like That.”

(other schools were mentioned…I’m only highlighting reporting re top law schools).

In the last two years, at least 10 law schools have deliberately changed their grading systems to make them more lenient. The goal is to make their students look more attractive in a competitive job market. These include law schools like NYU, Georgetown, and UCLA. Law schools seem to view higher grades as one way to rescue their students from the tough economic climate – and perhaps more to the point, to protect their own reputations and rankings. They have come up with a number of strategic responses. Many top schools have bumped up their OCI weeks from autumn to August, before the school even starts, because they want their students to have a chance to nab a job slot before their counterparts at other schools do. Others, like Duke and University of Texas offer stipends for students to take unpaid PI internships. But the tactic getting the most attention – and the most controversy – is the sudden, deliberate and dubiously effective grade inflation.

Harvard and Stanford, two of the top-ranked law schools, recently eliminated traditional grading altogether. Like Yale and Berkeley, they now use a modified pass/fail system. This new grading system also makes it harder for employers to distinguish the wheat from the chaff, which means more students can get a shot at a competitive interview. It is unclear whether grade inflation is particularly effective at helping students get jobs, especially because many Biglaw firms adjust their expectations accordingly. Many hiring partners say they read Above the Law that reports grade changing efforts, even when schools themselves don’t announce the changes.

“Every year we do our homework,” says Helen Long, the legal recruiting director at Ropes & Gray….

paralegal
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby paralegal » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:02 pm

los blancos wrote:Also considering the Belmont now.


I did hear that a lot of Duke UG live there....

User avatar
someones alt
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:08 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby someones alt » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:14 pm

los blancos wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
beantowngunnahh wrote:I took care of immunizations a little while ago. No sweat. If your current doctor doesn't have records of your immunizations for UG in your med records (which for me encompassed everything required by Duke) then have your UG fax them to any doctor and they'll fill out the form and give you everything you need on the spot. Fax the form in and you're all done. You don't need to send in your records, the signature is all they require. A couple days later I got an email at my Duke account confirming that I'd met all the requirements.

Agreed re the quick turnaround on the parking pass. 2 days I think it was.

I've read that Duke has been offering research positions on campus to 3Ls who haven't found employment in order to maintain their prized 100% employment stat. Any current students heard of this? I've read so many dismal articles about the Biglaw job market that I've just about convinced myself that I'm pissing away 150k on my law school education. I know Biglaw or bust is a pretty false and misguided premise to work from, but, I don't know, I'm disheartened.

Anyone feel like talking me away from the cliff?


We are all fearful (to some degree) when we look over the edge of the cliff, but the trick is to be prepared for the jump. While biglaw isn't a guarantee, you are still going to an elite legal institution with a network and reputation that allows for the possibility to do whatever you want after graduating. I, personally, look at success as a factor of motivation, dedication, and staying positive. If you can keep those 3 traits while learning the skills of a lawyer then I don't think you will have a problem landing a biglaw job or whatever it is you want. It's a small class and not everyone in the top 40% will want to go to biglaw, so if you perform at the best of your abilities you will surely land the requisite GPA for a biglaw job. You just can't shy away from doing the footwork and networking that is so invaluable to getting hired anywhere (don't just rely on OCI). There will always be people predicting dooms day is upon us, but don't let their negativity stop you from aspiring and working toward your goals.



~50% got NLJ250 jobs in 2009 (109/219 students). That's not bad considering that a substantial portion of the top half of the class is going to go for clerkships/DoJ/smaller boutique firms/etc. Which, if my potentially flawed reasoning is right, means that being around median still gives you a shot at BigLaw (yes, yes I know NLJ250 ≠ BigLaw, but it's a decent rough proxy since there are also firms that pay market that aren't a part of the NLJ250 and Duke places decent numbers into places like TX and CA that some say are underrepresented by the NLJ250)


Was this the class of 2009 or summer associateships for 2Ls (class of 2010)?

User avatar
someones alt
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:08 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby someones alt » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:27 pm

los blancos wrote:someones alt, I looked at your profile, and now I think I met you during ASW. :mrgreen:


I'm going to make some calls tomorrow. Still considering:
Alexan Place
Colonial Village
Evergreens
Golden Belt

Will probably end up picking from those depending on availability/pricing.


maybe. FWIW when I met jeric he was creeping on prospective undergrads just trying to tour the campus :mrgreen:




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest