Duke Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
cavebat2000
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:08 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby cavebat2000 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:17 pm

insidethetwenty wrote:Anybody else notice that the Fall 2010 class schedule is up? Here's my organization of the Section schedules. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this stuff!

Section 1:
Property M-F, 3-4,
Torts M-F, 8:45-9:45,

Section 2:
Torts M-F, 8:45-9:45,
CivPro M-F, 11-12,
ConLaw M-F, 2:55-3:55,

Section 3:
Contracts M-F, 845-945
CivPro M-F, 11-12,
Criminal M-F, 130-230

Section 4:
ConLaw M-F, 840-945
Torts M-F, 11-12

Section 5:
ConLaw M-F 11-1205
Crim M-F, 130-230

Section 6:
CivPro M-F 405-505
Property M-F 3-4
Torts M-F 11-12

LRW's are all 9:55-10:55 either on M/Th or Tu/Fri

I assume sections 1, 4, and 5 are for summer starters, so the rest of us will be in one of 2, 3, and 6. They all seem to have their advantages and disadvantages, so here's to hoping we get the ones that work best for us...


Now if only we knew which sections we will be in... Does anyone know when they are assigned?

User avatar
DallasCowboy
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:47 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby DallasCowboy » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:58 pm

Praying for 6

Section 2 looks terrible

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:59 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:Praying for 6

Section 2 looks terrible


I'm a fan of 3, but I'm not sure I would like having contracts as my small section. Does M-F mean every day, or like MWF or just M & F? I wasn't aware that law school was an everyday committment o.O

User avatar
DallasCowboy
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:47 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby DallasCowboy » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:01 pm

I've read that mostly Fridays are make-up days and you normally go M-Th

insidethetwenty
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:00 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby insidethetwenty » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:14 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:I've read that mostly Fridays are make-up days and you normally go M-Th


I've read the same.

Also, could someone please direct me to any employment stats Duke has released? I know they've (we've?) always been really open with stats, so I'd love to see a recent rundown.

Thanks!

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:17 pm

Found the link to the section information and schedule, and it does seem odd that sections 4 and 5 are missing a class. I also thought that everyone takes the same 3 classes in the fall, but I guess that isn't the case because section 3 seems to be the only one taking Contracts. I'm ready for some more info from Duke already; what happend to our weekly Duke e-mail?

https://admissions.law.duke.edu/curriculum/schedulefall2010

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:17 pm

insidethetwenty wrote:
DallasCowboy wrote:I've read that mostly Fridays are make-up days and you normally go M-Th


I've read the same.

Also, could someone please direct me to any employment stats Duke has released? I know they've (we've?) always been really open with stats, so I'd love to see a recent rundown.

Thanks!


The most recent info I can think of is the stuff they handed out at the ASD. Did you go?

User avatar
ObviouslyMasochistic
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 12:40 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby ObviouslyMasochistic » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:39 am

Jericwithers wrote:
insidethetwenty wrote:
DallasCowboy wrote:I've read that mostly Fridays are make-up days and you normally go M-Th


I've read the same.

Also, could someone please direct me to any employment stats Duke has released? I know they've (we've?) always been really open with stats, so I'd love to see a recent rundown.

Thanks!


The most recent info I can think of is the stuff they handed out at the ASD. Did you go?


This is the best I can do right now...headed to the airport!

According to Duke career services handout, about 62-65% of the class got SA gigs at firms.

V10: 10-11%, V20: 17-18%, V50: 29-31%, V100: 37-39%.

insidethetwenty
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:00 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby insidethetwenty » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:37 am

ObviouslyMasochistic wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
insidethetwenty wrote:
DallasCowboy wrote:I've read that mostly Fridays are make-up days and you normally go M-Th


I've read the same.

Also, could someone please direct me to any employment stats Duke has released? I know they've (we've?) always been really open with stats, so I'd love to see a recent rundown.

Thanks!


The most recent info I can think of is the stuff they handed out at the ASD. Did you go?


This is the best I can do right now...headed to the airport!

According to Duke career services handout, about 62-65% of the class got SA gigs at firms.

V10: 10-11%, V20: 17-18%, V50: 29-31%, V100: 37-39%.


Thanks for this and for all the other nuggets of wisdom you've dispensed on our thread. I know everybody else has already said so, but I really appreciate your willingness to keep us informed.

User avatar
someones alt
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:08 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby someones alt » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:02 pm

How can you tell which one is the small section? I want section 2, I'll quit LS if I get section 6 and have to start my day that late.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:23 am

someones alt wrote:How can you tell which one is the small section? I want section 2, I'll quit LS if I get section 6 and have to start my day that late.


The small-section class is the first class listed for each student section. The first class is only scheduled to that particular section, and the 1st class listed for section 6 breaks the chronological order which hints that it was listed first for some other reason.

Section 3 is better than 2 though; you start at the same time but finish over an hour earlier. I hate having to kill a lot of time in between classes.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:54 pm

Cmon, Duke, we can do better than this.

paralegal
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby paralegal » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:21 pm

Masochistic -

Not sure if any summer employment statistics for the 1L class of 2012 have been previously posted on this thread. I'm interested in knowing some specifics.

Some info that I've heard that has applied to all of the T14 is that some Biglaw firms ITE have cut their 1L SA programs and instead offered shorter programs consisting of several weeks as an intro to their firm. However, some Big law firms still offer 1L SA programs...maybe less offered ITE...but it's possible...

I'm assuming that 1L grades are the determining factor in whether or not one even has a shot at these somewhat limited 1L SA gigs..... Would one need to be top 10%?

1L summer employment for 2013 is not very far away.... looking a little ahead and wondering about the opportunities....

thanks....
Last edited by paralegal on Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Reedie
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:46 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Reedie » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:33 pm

When are y'all getting to Durham? I be arriving Aug 12th.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby thickfreakness » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:39 pm

Moving in the last week of July.

paralegal
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby paralegal » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:41 pm

Planning to arrive in Durham around August 10....

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:53 pm

August 1st, and it can't come soon enough.

User avatar
Reedie
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:46 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Reedie » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:55 pm

So, I'm the late comer to the party eh? When does the weather in Durham become tolerable? September?
Last edited by Reedie on Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

insidethetwenty
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:00 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby insidethetwenty » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:29 pm

Hopefully we'll be moving sometime in mid-July.

paralegal
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby paralegal » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:03 am

Reedie wrote:When does the weather in Durham become tolerable? September?


My guess would be that September yields typical East Coast weather - somewhat humid.

Probably by mid October the weather becomes more tolerable....

User avatar
ObviouslyMasochistic
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 12:40 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby ObviouslyMasochistic » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:42 am

paralegal wrote:Masochistic -

Not sure if any summer employment statistics for the 1L class of 2012 have been previously posted on this thread. I'm interested in knowing some specifics.

Some info that I've heard that has applied to all of the T14 is that some Biglaw firms ITE have cut their 1L SA programs and instead offered shorter programs consisting of several weeks as an intro to their firm. However, some Big law firms still offer 1L SA programs...maybe less offered ITE...but it's possible...

I'm assuming that 1L grades are the determining factor in whether or not one even has a shot at these somewhat limited 1L SA gigs..... Would one need to be top 10%?

1L summer employment for 2013 is not very far away.... looking a little ahead and wondering about the opportunities....

thanks....


From looking over the 1L list, I see around 25-30 firm jobs. However, only a handful of these are V100 firms in major markets. I think that, ITE, getting a 1L firm gig requires connections, top 10%, EE background, or minority status. Some may require a combo of some of these.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:03 am

Thanks for the continued help, ObvMaso. Do you remember roughly when you got your fall class schedule? At orientation week?

Anyone else think that paralegal will be one of the 10% with a firm job? Seems to be very well versed and well connected :shock:

The weather in Durham will be a step up from the 100+ heat index days here in Houston. I'm excited for it.

Also, someone please stop me from going to half priced books for a 4th time. I'm starting to drive 30-40 minutes to find new stores just to buy law books I don't need. It's an addiction (although a healthier addiction than the alternatives).

User avatar
ObviouslyMasochistic
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 12:40 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby ObviouslyMasochistic » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:15 am

ObviouslyMasochistic wrote:
paralegal wrote:Masochistic -

Not sure if any summer employment statistics for the 1L class of 2012 have been previously posted on this thread. I'm interested in knowing some specifics.

Some info that I've heard that has applied to all of the T14 is that some Biglaw firms ITE have cut their 1L SA programs and instead offered shorter programs consisting of several weeks as an intro to their firm. However, some Big law firms still offer 1L SA programs...maybe less offered ITE...but it's possible...

I'm assuming that 1L grades are the determining factor in whether or not one even has a shot at these somewhat limited 1L SA gigs..... Would one need to be top 10%?

1L summer employment for 2013 is not very far away.... looking a little ahead and wondering about the opportunities....

thanks....


From looking over the 1L list, I see around 25-30 firm jobs. However, only a handful of these are V100 firms in major markets. I think that, ITE, getting a 1L firm gig requires connections, top 10%, EE background, or minority status. Some may require a combo of some of these.


I wanted to go back and add to this because it sounds sort of pessimistic. Getting a 1L firm job is not important to your long-term career and professional goals. So, don't worry if you're in a U.S. Attorney's Office for the summer or some other unpaid position. As long as you get some kind of legal experience over the summer, you'll be well positioned going into OCI in your 2L fall.

User avatar
ObviouslyMasochistic
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 12:40 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby ObviouslyMasochistic » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:17 am

Jericwithers wrote:Thanks for the continued help, ObvMaso. Do you remember roughly when you got your fall class schedule? At orientation week?

Anyone else think that paralegal will be one of the 10% with a firm job? Seems to be very well versed and well connected :shock:

The weather in Durham will be a step up from the 100+ heat index days here in Houston. I'm excited for it.

Also, someone please stop me from going to half priced books for a 4th time. I'm starting to drive 30-40 minutes to find new stores just to buy law books I don't need. It's an addiction (although a healthier addiction than the alternatives).


I'm probably not the best person to ask about when schedules came out. I was a summer starter, so I knew from the get go what my schedule was going to look like (yay Section 1!). However, I think I remember finding out when my Legal Writing class met during orientation. So maybe fall starters find out their entire schedule at that time.

User avatar
Reedie
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:46 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Reedie » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:48 am

Jericwithers wrote:Thanks for the continued help, ObvMaso. Do you remember roughly when you got your fall class schedule? At orientation week?

Anyone else think that paralegal will be one of the 10% with a firm job? Seems to be very well versed and well connected :shock:

The weather in Durham will be a step up from the 100+ heat index days here in Houston. I'm excited for it.

Also, someone please stop me from going to half priced books for a 4th time. I'm starting to drive 30-40 minutes to find new stores just to buy law books I don't need. It's an addiction (although a healthier addiction than the alternatives).


I remember half-priced books; that was the only good thing about Texas I can recall :).




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest