Duke Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
Reedie
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:46 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Reedie » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:44 pm

Reedie wrote:
paralegal wrote:
Duke 2013 classmates....please add any info re Duke's new LRAP.....


Floor is 60k, below which Duke pays all loans. Ceiling is 75k.


I should add:

This new program is still not phenomenal, but I'd say it's competitive with their peer institutions (unlike the old program, which really wasn't). I hope they raise that ceiling a bit.

User avatar
idiothek
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:18 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby idiothek » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:40 pm

quick question for anyone who'd know:

what's the situation in North Carolina with respect to changing our driver's licenses and/or auto tags?

thanks in advance :D

User avatar
Reedie
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:46 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Reedie » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:22 pm

One page ahead of Michigan! Remember everyone: this determines how many firms show up at our OCI!

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:31 pm

How do I get a job for 1L summer? How did you 2Ls get your jobs?

EDIT: Job/internship.

User avatar
idiothek
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:18 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby idiothek » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:57 pm

idiothek wrote:quick question for anyone who'd know:

what's the situation in North Carolina with respect to changing our driver's licenses and/or auto tags?

thanks in advance :D


I found the answer to my own question. Here's a helpful link in case anyone had similar questions:

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/moving/

paralegal
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby paralegal » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:31 am

idiothek wrote:quick question for anyone who'd know:
what's the situation in North Carolina with respect to changing our driver's licenses and/or auto tags?
thanks in advance :D


I saw the link you posted re DMV info for moving within NC...and I'm not sure if that applies. I'd start by calling your insurance co. Tell them that you're going to law school for three years in the state of NC.....in other words, you are not a "permanent" resident of NC; you're a student living in NC "temporarily" while attending law school.

I think it's a simple process...where your insurance co writes a policy for NC....but you don't change your driver's license or your license plates or tags.....I also believe that Duke "may" require its students to have NC auto insurance in order to purchase a Duke parking permit.

I could be wrong about all of this, but I attended UG in another state and had a car....and this is how it was handled....

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:43 am

Jericwithers wrote:How do I get a job for 1L summer? How did you 2Ls get your jobs?

EDIT: Job/internship.


Meeting people and/or applying to everything you might be interested in.


Personality in an interview probably is helpful too.

User avatar
ObviouslyMasochistic
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 12:40 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby ObviouslyMasochistic » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:26 am

Jericwithers wrote:How do I get a job for 1L summer? How did you 2Ls get your jobs?

EDIT: Job/internship.


I emailed Duke Law/my UG alums in firms I was interested in around Oct/Nov. In the emails I asked for the chance to talk to them about the legal market and their advice for finding a 1L job. Of course, this is just a cover; what you're looking for here is to impress these people enough so that they'll go to bat for you when you apply to the firm the following month. The response rate was surprisingly high. I think I had about 10 phone "interviews."

On December 1, mail merge = win. I email bombed the recruiting office of every firm I was interested in with an application package (tailored cover letter, resume, writing sample, unofficial transcript). A couple of weeks later, I followed up via phone or email to the recruiting offices to make sure they had received my materials.

Word of advice -- don't underestimate how much time this job application/interviewing process will take if done right. Because it happens in Nov/Dec when exam studying starts gearing up, you really have to be disciplined and proactive.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby thickfreakness » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:19 am

ObviouslyMasochistic wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:How do I get a job for 1L summer? How did you 2Ls get your jobs?

EDIT: Job/internship.


I emailed Duke Law/my UG alums in firms I was interested in around Oct/Nov. In the emails I asked for the chance to talk to them about the legal market and their advice for finding a 1L job. Of course, this is just a cover; what you're looking for here is to impress these people enough so that they'll go to bat for you when you apply to the firm the following month. The response rate was surprisingly high. I think I had about 10 phone "interviews."

On December 1, mail merge = win. I email bombed the recruiting office of every firm I was interested in with an application package (tailored cover letter, resume, writing sample, unofficial transcript). A couple of weeks later, I followed up via phone or email to the recruiting offices to make sure they had received my materials.

Word of advice -- don't underestimate how much time this job application/interviewing process will take if done right. Because it happens in Nov/Dec when exam studying starts gearing up, you really have to be disciplined and proactive.


We push button, you dispense juicy, thick, and delicious law-school-advice bacon.

User avatar
Reedie
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:46 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Reedie » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:37 am

Just received today:

"As we enter June and our second deposit deadline approaches, we at Michigan have released many of the candidates who agreed to participate in our waitlist, and so we have just a few strong candidates remaining: you are one of them. While we made only a handful of offers in May, and currently have a full class, it is hard to predict what our June 15 second deposit deadline will bring. We expect this to be an unusually volatile summer because of the waitlist activity of other schools, and therefore anticipate that some people who are currently enrolled will have made other plans and decline to submit the second deposit. I am writing now, therefore, to assess your interest in remaining on the waiting list."

I'd say from that we can still think a more or less normal class size is possible. (Incidentally, Michigan would need to give me a pretty sweet scholly to make me consider them, which I doubt they would).

paralegal
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby paralegal » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:08 pm

ObviouslyMasochistic wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:How do I get a job for 1L summer? How did you 2Ls get your jobs?

EDIT: Job/internship.


I emailed Duke Law/my UG alums in firms I was interested in around Oct/Nov. In the emails I asked for the chance to talk to them about the legal market and their advice for finding a 1L job. Of course, this is just a cover; what you're looking for here is to impress these people enough so that they'll go to bat for you when you apply to the firm the following month. The response rate was surprisingly high. I think I had about 10 phone "interviews."

On December 1, mail merge = win. I email bombed the recruiting office of every firm I was interested in with an application package (tailored cover letter, resume, writing sample, unofficial transcript). A couple of weeks later, I followed up via phone or email to the recruiting offices to make sure they had received my materials.

Word of advice -- don't underestimate how much time this job application/interviewing process will take if done right. Because it happens in Nov/Dec when exam studying starts gearing up, you really have to be disciplined and proactive.



Outstanding..... thank you....

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:17 pm

paralegal wrote:
ObviouslyMasochistic wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:How do I get a job for 1L summer? How did you 2Ls get your jobs?

EDIT: Job/internship.


I emailed Duke Law/my UG alums in firms I was interested in around Oct/Nov. In the emails I asked for the chance to talk to them about the legal market and their advice for finding a 1L job. Of course, this is just a cover; what you're looking for here is to impress these people enough so that they'll go to bat for you when you apply to the firm the following month. The response rate was surprisingly high. I think I had about 10 phone "interviews."

On December 1, mail merge = win. I email bombed the recruiting office of every firm I was interested in with an application package (tailored cover letter, resume, writing sample, unofficial transcript). A couple of weeks later, I followed up via phone or email to the recruiting offices to make sure they had received my materials.

Word of advice -- don't underestimate how much time this job application/interviewing process will take if done right. Because it happens in Nov/Dec when exam studying starts gearing up, you really have to be disciplined and proactive.



Outstanding..... thank you....


Agreed. What would an unofficial transcript include though; do you know any grades by December 1st?

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7119
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby los blancos » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:27 pm

Reedie wrote: (Incidentally, Michigan would need to give me a pretty sweet scholly to make me consider them, which I doubt they would).


Yeah, Mich would have to match my Duke scholly, and even then, I'm not sure which I'd choose. I think warmer weather + smaller class size would probably keep me at Duke.

User avatar
ObviouslyMasochistic
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 12:40 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby ObviouslyMasochistic » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:55 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
paralegal wrote:
ObviouslyMasochistic wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:How do I get a job for 1L summer? How did you 2Ls get your jobs?

EDIT: Job/internship.


I emailed Duke Law/my UG alums in firms I was interested in around Oct/Nov. In the emails I asked for the chance to talk to them about the legal market and their advice for finding a 1L job. Of course, this is just a cover; what you're looking for here is to impress these people enough so that they'll go to bat for you when you apply to the firm the following month. The response rate was surprisingly high. I think I had about 10 phone "interviews."

On December 1, mail merge = win. I email bombed the recruiting office of every firm I was interested in with an application package (tailored cover letter, resume, writing sample, unofficial transcript). A couple of weeks later, I followed up via phone or email to the recruiting offices to make sure they had received my materials.

Word of advice -- don't underestimate how much time this job application/interviewing process will take if done right. Because it happens in Nov/Dec when exam studying starts gearing up, you really have to be disciplined and proactive.



Outstanding..... thank you....


Agreed. What would an unofficial transcript include though; do you know any grades by December 1st?


Summer starters know their summer grades (so, 2 classes worth). Additionally, I already had a grade from my fall engineering master's class. Also, by December 1, you should have at least one graded memo in legal writing, maybe two. You won't have an official GPA grade from legal writing yet, but it can be helpful to say, "Median on this assignment was a 72, and I rocked a 90."

Glad I can help, all. Keep the questions coming!

paralegal
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby paralegal » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:15 pm

http://www.law.duke.edu/admis/story?id=4875&u=2

Here is the link to Duke's "new" LRAP.... it's very competative and on par with other top law schools.....

Thanks for your help with this info...Reedie.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:51 pm

ObviouslyMasochistic wrote:Summer starters know their summer grades (so, 2 classes worth). Additionally, I already had a grade from my fall engineering master's class. Also, by December 1, you should have at least one graded memo in legal writing, maybe two. You won't have an official GPA grade from legal writing yet, but it can be helpful to say, "Median on this assignment was a 72, and I rocked a 90."

Glad I can help, all. Keep the questions coming!


Good stuff, thanks. I will just have to knock those graded memos out of the park since that will be my only bragging point come application time.

User avatar
beantowngunnahh
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:29 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby beantowngunnahh » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:15 am

'Sup classmates-

I'm a fellow '13 Dukie. I stumbled across this thread amidst my usual routine of 3pm procrastination at work -- I have to say, you guys seem like a pretty chill bunch and I'm excited to join you all this fall. I chose Duke over GULC, Cornell, and Mich. It was a no-brainer. Great area, gorgeous weather, laid back atmosphere, top-tier pedigree, and so far the administration has been excellent. What more could you ask for?

Masochist/Prez, your advice is invaluable. Many many thanks for your insight.

I went with a 1BR at Pinnacle. Is anyone else using a furniture rental service? You can furnish your whole apt for under $200/m and they deliver/set up everything before you move in. That would be huge for me b/c I live up north and moving what furniture I currently have down would be insanely expensive. I also might just see what I can find in NC on the uber-cheap.

Thoughts?

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:28 am

beantowngunnahh wrote:'Sup classmates-

I'm a fellow '13 Dukie. I stumbled across this thread amidst my usual routine of 3pm procrastination at work -- I have to say, you guys seem like a pretty chill bunch and I'm excited to join you all this fall. I chose Duke over GULC, Cornell, and Mich. It was a no-brainer. Great area, gorgeous weather, laid back atmosphere, top-tier pedigree, and so far the administration has been excellent. What more could you ask for?

Masochist/Prez, your advice is invaluable. Many many thanks for your insight.

I went with a 1BR at Pinnacle. Is anyone else using a furniture rental service? You can furnish your whole apt for under $200/m and they deliver/set up everything before you move in. That would be huge for me b/c I live up north and moving what furniture I currently have down would be insanely expensive. I also might just see what I can find in NC on the uber-cheap.

Thoughts?


Nice to have you joining the thread.

$200 a month over three years is $7200 total cost. You can get some really nice furniture for much less than that, and then even recoup a very small amount by selling it once you graduate. It is definitely a hassle to buy furniture, move it in and out, and rent a storage for the summer if you only have a 10 month lease (about $100 a month I guess). However, I would say that having all new furniture that you enjoy and being able to save money would be the best move. However, I'm so cheap that I'm driving 18 hours across the country just to avoid buying a new bed and about 3 other pieces of furniture lol.

cavebat2000
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:08 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby cavebat2000 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:40 am

wanna buy my lumpy bed, falling-over bookcase(s), wooden chairs that will collapse if you sit in them, or giant round table that would be more useful as firewood than as a dinner table? Asking $5.00.

hahaha

also, thanks to those current Duke students offering us lowly 0L's advice. It is much appreciated.

User avatar
beantowngunnahh
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:29 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby beantowngunnahh » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:34 am

Jericwithers wrote:
beantowngunnahh wrote:'Sup classmates-

I'm a fellow '13 Dukie. I stumbled across this thread amidst my usual routine of 3pm procrastination at work -- I have to say, you guys seem like a pretty chill bunch and I'm excited to join you all this fall. I chose Duke over GULC, Cornell, and Mich. It was a no-brainer. Great area, gorgeous weather, laid back atmosphere, top-tier pedigree, and so far the administration has been excellent. What more could you ask for?

Masochist/Prez, your advice is invaluable. Many many thanks for your insight.

I went with a 1BR at Pinnacle. Is anyone else using a furniture rental service? You can furnish your whole apt for under $200/m and they deliver/set up everything before you move in. That would be huge for me b/c I live up north and moving what furniture I currently have down would be insanely expensive. I also might just see what I can find in NC on the uber-cheap.

Thoughts?


Nice to have you joining the thread.

$200 a month over three years is $7200 total cost. You can get some really nice furniture for much less than that, and then even recoup a very small amount by selling it once you graduate. It is definitely a hassle to buy furniture, move it in and out, and rent a storage for the summer if you only have a 10 month lease (about $100 a month I guess). However, I would say that having all new furniture that you enjoy and being able to save money would be the best move. However, I'm so cheap that I'm driving 18 hours across the country just to avoid buying a new bed and about 3 other pieces of furniture lol.


True. The amount extra I'd pay probably wouldn't justify the convenience. Where are you planning on buying furniture from? Anywhere specifically you know it can be bought for cheap?

User avatar
Reedie
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:46 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Reedie » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:29 am

beantowngunnahh wrote:True. The amount extra I'd pay probably wouldn't justify the convenience. Where are you planning on buying furniture from? Anywhere specifically you know it can be bought for cheap?


Spring for a decent bed and mattress, and purchase the rest from goodwill or similar.

insidethetwenty
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:00 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby insidethetwenty » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:55 am

Anybody else notice that the Fall 2010 class schedule is up? Here's my organization of the Section schedules. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this stuff!

Section 1:
Property M-F, 3-4,
Torts M-F, 8:45-9:45,

Section 2:
Torts M-F, 8:45-9:45,
CivPro M-F, 11-12,
ConLaw M-F, 2:55-3:55,

Section 3:
Contracts M-F, 845-945
CivPro M-F, 11-12,
Criminal M-F, 130-230

Section 4:
ConLaw M-F, 840-945
Torts M-F, 11-12

Section 5:
ConLaw M-F 11-1205
Crim M-F, 130-230

Section 6:
CivPro M-F 405-505
Property M-F 3-4
Torts M-F 11-12

LRW's are all 9:55-10:55 either on M/Th or Tu/Fri

I assume sections 1, 4, and 5 are for summer starters, so the rest of us will be in one of 2, 3, and 6. They all seem to have their advantages and disadvantages, so here's to hoping we get the ones that work best for us...

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby thickfreakness » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:43 am

6 please! I hate morning classes, never had one before 9 in undergrad.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:06 pm

beantowngunnahh wrote:True. The amount extra I'd pay probably wouldn't justify the convenience. Where are you planning on buying furniture from? Anywhere specifically you know it can be bought for cheap?


My plan currently is to get a couch from Big Lots (they have showrooms and stuff and can get some decent couches for $300). North Carolina is the production center for a lot of the country's furniture so you can find nice and inexpensive furniture pretty much anywhere in the state.

Where are you finding this schedule information, inside? Also, does it make sense that there are an equal number of summer sections with only 2 classes as there are fall sections with 3 classes? If I remember correctly, in previous years there was only 1 section of summer starters.

Also, has anyone signed up for a parking permit yet? EDIT: Never mind, permit sales open up on June 17th and go till July 30th (for 1Ls).
Last edited by Jericwithers on Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ObviouslyMasochistic
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 12:40 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby ObviouslyMasochistic » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:07 pm

insidethetwenty wrote:Anybody else notice that the Fall 2010 class schedule is up? Here's my organization of the Section schedules. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this stuff!

Section 1:
Property M-F, 3-4,
Torts M-F, 8:45-9:45,

Section 2:
Torts M-F, 8:45-9:45,
CivPro M-F, 11-12,
ConLaw M-F, 2:55-3:55,

Section 3:
Contracts M-F, 845-945
CivPro M-F, 11-12,
Criminal M-F, 130-230

Section 4:
ConLaw M-F, 840-945
Torts M-F, 11-12

Section 5:
ConLaw M-F 11-1205
Crim M-F, 130-230

Section 6:
CivPro M-F 405-505
Property M-F 3-4
Torts M-F 11-12

LRW's are all 9:55-10:55 either on M/Th or Tu/Fri

I assume sections 1, 4, and 5 are for summer starters, so the rest of us will be in one of 2, 3, and 6. They all seem to have their advantages and disadvantages, so here's to hoping we get the ones that work best for us...


I would imagine that the class schedules are not complete for Sections 4 and 5. Section 1 is summer starters, and they should be the only section with only two classes in the Fall.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest