Duke Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7119
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby los blancos » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:24 pm

Jericwithers wrote:I know Michigan is enrolled at capacity, and I would guess that many other top schools are too. Checking the waitlist statuses of the top 6 schools would probably give us a clue as to how many friends we will be making in the fall.


See, this is what isn't making sense to me. I have heard that

NYU
Chicago
Michigan
Berkeley

are all either fully or overenrolled and don't expect to be making many if any offers from the WL. Which doesn't really seem to make much sense because apparently total applicants were only up modestly this year. So some other schools must've really underenrolled... I hope it's CLS. :mrgreen:

paralegal
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby paralegal » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:41 pm

someones alt wrote:So I finally find a roommate and an apartment only to return to doom and gloom about overenrollment? I miss all the "DUKE WOOOOO".


Great news....someones alt...I'm glad to hear that you will be joining us at Duke this fall...

Honestly, I think the concerns were a bit of an over reaction, and it's just way too soon for "doom and gloom." Masochistic's stats listed "228" for the class of 2012...our class of 2013 will most likely end up around there. We have two and a half months until orientation....so "the dust hasn't even begun to settle" (so to speak) in the admissions office at Duke...at this point, our class is still taking shape...

and...there's still plenty of Duke Woooo....on this thread...

User avatar
DallasCowboy
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:47 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby DallasCowboy » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:03 pm

DUKE WOOOOOO

45 more new friends

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby thickfreakness » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:06 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:DUKE WOOOOOO

45 more new friends


DA WHISTLES GO WOOOOOOOOOO

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7119
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby los blancos » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:21 pm

.
Last edited by los blancos on Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paralegal
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby paralegal » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:57 pm

Reedie wrote:If their target is 200 (which I think is right?)


Statistics, re the number of students for last year's entering class, are better than we thought -

Found out that by orientation last summer (after the dust had settled in the Admisions Office...) the "entering" class of 2012 had 205 students...so the number that Masochistic gave us of 228 includes transfers.

...and Reedie you are correct....Duke's target is 200 - 205, 210.

Info is from the Admissions Office....

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:04 pm

paralegal wrote:
Reedie wrote:If their target is 200 (which I think is right?)


Statistics, re the number of students for last year's entering class, are better than we thought -

Found out that by orientation last summer (after the dust had settled in the Admisions Office...) the "entering" class of 2012 had 205 students...so the number that Masochistic gave us of 228 includes transfers.

...and Reedie you are correct....Duke's target is 200 - 205, 210.

Info is from the Admissions Office....


Did they give any more info on what is happening this year?

paralegal
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby paralegal » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:29 am

Jericwithers wrote:Did they give any more info on what is happening this year?


Said that it's way too early to quote a specific number for the entering class of 2013, as there are two and a half months until orientation; there target is 200 - 205, 210.

However, at this point, they are telling those waitlisted that the class is currently full.....

paralegal
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby paralegal » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:34 am

sorry....I hate posting errors..... should have read....."their" target is 200 - 205, 210.

User avatar
rotflawl
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:31 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby rotflawl » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:45 pm

los blancos wrote:I might withdraw, in part to pull that number down to 44...

Ditto. But mainly because of a waitlist offer.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:36 pm

rotflawl wrote:
los blancos wrote:I might withdraw, in part to pull that number down to 44...

Ditto. But mainly because of a waitlist offer.


o.O where did u get in off the waitlist?

User avatar
Reedie
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:46 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Reedie » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:26 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
rotflawl wrote:
los blancos wrote:I might withdraw, in part to pull that number down to 44...

Ditto. But mainly because of a waitlist offer.


o.O where did u get in off the waitlist?


I'd like to know, just to find out who is offering off of their waitlist.

User avatar
someones alt
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:08 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby someones alt » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:12 pm

Reedie wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
rotflawl wrote:
los blancos wrote:I might withdraw, in part to pull that number down to 44...

Ditto. But mainly because of a waitlist offer.


o.O where did u get in off the waitlist?


I'd like to know, just to find out who is offering off of their waitlist.


Could be Harvard. They're still making offers.

User avatar
rotflawl
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:31 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby rotflawl » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:27 pm

someones alt wrote:
Reedie wrote:
I'd like to know, just to find out who is offering off of their waitlist.


Could be Harvard. They're still making offers.


Yes. I also met someone who got in off Berkeley's waitlist, too, if that's of interest to anyone.

User avatar
Reedie
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:46 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Reedie » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:48 pm

rotflawl wrote:
someones alt wrote:
Reedie wrote:
I'd like to know, just to find out who is offering off of their waitlist.


Could be Harvard. They're still making offers.


Yes. I also met someone who got in off Berkeley's waitlist, too, if that's of interest to anyone.


Congrats on Harvard then! It's great to see how many of our classmates are highly sought after applicants. I'd go to Haaavard over Duke as well, but I suspect I'd actually enjoy it less over there.

paralegal
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby paralegal » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:20 pm

Reedie wrote:Congrats on Harvard then! It's great to see how many of our classmates are highly sought after applicants


Rotflawl -

Congratulations on Harvard.....wishing you the very best....

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:10 pm

paralegal wrote:
Reedie wrote:Congrats on Harvard then! It's great to see how many of our classmates are highly sought after applicants


Rotflawl -

Congratulations on Harvard.....wishing you the very best....


Same here; that is too awesome! Good to see that the class is thinning out, but sad to see some great people go :(

User avatar
DallasCowboy
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:47 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby DallasCowboy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:26 pm

I just got called by UCLA's dean to offer me...a waitlist opportunity? Thanks for the personal offer to join the WL, but I'll pass.

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7119
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby los blancos » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:55 pm

last final of college tomorrow. think i might fly out to durham in a couple of weeks and get an apartment.
Last edited by los blancos on Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Reedie
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:46 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Reedie » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:02 pm

los blancos wrote:went to take the lsat today.


Seek help.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:23 pm

Reedie wrote:
los blancos wrote:went to take the lsat today.


Seek help.


He must have regained his sanity once he ran into the 2nd section. Good luck with the apartment hunt blancos, I will vouch that my complex has some really great agents who will work with you to get you a hell of a deal. I can give you the name of the guy I talked with if you're interested.

paralegal
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby paralegal » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:31 pm

Masochistic -

I read that Duke hosts a number of legal employers each spring for first-year on-campus recruiting; it's called "1L Spring Interview Program (SIP)."

Can you discuss this program? Duke is listing this program on their website, so I'm assuming it's still taking place even ITE....

Thanks....

User avatar
ObviouslyMasochistic
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 12:40 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby ObviouslyMasochistic » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:03 pm

paralegal wrote:Masochistic -

I read that Duke hosts a number of legal employers each spring for first-year on-campus recruiting; it's called "1L Spring Interview Program (SIP)."

Can you discuss this program? Duke is listing this program on their website, so I'm assuming it's still taking place even ITE....

Thanks....


Sure. The 1L Spring Interview Program brings a small number of employers to campus who are interested in hiring Duke 1Ls. I wish I still had access to the webpage, but I believe there were around 15-20 employers who came. Most employers were from secondary and local markets like Raleigh, Birmingham, and Wilmington, DE. Some local public interest employers take part in the program as well. I know of at least one person who got a firm job out of it and a couple who got flybacks. Those who did flybacks and didn't end up with 1L summer employment have an "automatic callback" for 2L OCI. So, that's a nice perk.

Anyway, the program is helpful for those who are interested in/have ties to these limited markets. However, I would definitely not count on the program to land you a 1L job.

paralegal
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby paralegal » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:54 pm

Masochistic....thanks for continuing to answer questions....

I heard that Duke recently did a "major" overhaul to their LRAP. I also heard that now it's completely on par with UVA's.

Can you gives us more details?

Thanks....

Duke 2013 classmates....please add any info re Duke's new LRAP.....

User avatar
Reedie
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:46 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Reedie » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:15 pm

paralegal wrote:
Duke 2013 classmates....please add any info re Duke's new LRAP.....


Floor is 60k, below which Duke pays all loans. Ceiling is 75k.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest