Duke Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
paralegal
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby paralegal » Sat May 22, 2010 11:48 am

Jericwithers wrote: but NC is known for its furniture production so it wouldn't be too much of a hassle to get a nice couch for pretty cheap, right?


My plan exactly.....driving accross the US from Cali.....keeping it simple.....moving with clothes and a few other items... Saved some money for furniture.... Once I get to Duke...buy furniture for apt.....

johndh
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:20 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby johndh » Sat May 22, 2010 12:27 pm

I can't believe I'm asking this but does anyone know the student ticket policy for football? I'm asking because I have friends that want to come up to visit the weekend of the Alabama game and I hope I don't have to pay face value for all of the tickets. I never expected to be excited about a Duke football game.

User avatar
Reedie
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:46 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Reedie » Sat May 22, 2010 1:57 pm

johndh wrote:I can't believe I'm asking this but does anyone know the student ticket policy for football? I'm asking because I have friends that want to come up to visit the weekend of the Alabama game and I hope I don't have to pay face value for all of the tickets. I never expected to be excited about a Duke football game.


Do you really want to watch Alabama hammer Duke into submission? I want tickets to basketball games, but I'm conflicted because I've hated Duke basketball for a while.

johndh
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:20 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby johndh » Sat May 22, 2010 2:05 pm

Reedie wrote:
johndh wrote:I can't believe I'm asking this but does anyone know the student ticket policy for football? I'm asking because I have friends that want to come up to visit the weekend of the Alabama game and I hope I don't have to pay face value for all of the tickets. I never expected to be excited about a Duke football game.


Do you really want to watch Alabama hammer Duke into submission? I want tickets to basketball games, but I'm conflicted because I've hated Duke basketball for a while.


My friends that are coming up are Alabama fans so I'm pretty sure they wouldn't mind seeing a beatdown.

jitcher
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:57 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby jitcher » Sat May 22, 2010 3:02 pm

Any summer starters here looking for Civ Pro books for cheap? I’ve got books from first year that I want to get rid of, but I figured I’d give fellow Duke students first crack before I put them on Amazon or something.

Civ Pro book for Metzloff's class- I'll sell it for $50 (at the bookstore it cost $129), and I'll give you the supplemental book that goes with it for free ($30 at the bookstore). I did pretty well in Metzloff's class too, so you can also have my outline and as much advice about surviving and succeeding in Civ Pro as you're willing to listen to. If you’re interested, send me an email (jch46@duke.edu) or a private message.

User avatar
rotflawl
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:31 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby rotflawl » Sat May 22, 2010 5:04 pm

Reedie wrote:
johndh wrote:I can't believe I'm asking this but does anyone know the student ticket policy for football? I'm asking because I have friends that want to come up to visit the weekend of the Alabama game and I hope I don't have to pay face value for all of the tickets. I never expected to be excited about a Duke football game.


Do you really want to watch Alabama hammer Duke into submission? I want tickets to basketball games, but I'm conflicted because I've hated Duke basketball for a while.


D to the itto.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby thickfreakness » Sat May 22, 2010 7:34 pm

johndh wrote:
Reedie wrote:
johndh wrote:I can't believe I'm asking this but does anyone know the student ticket policy for football? I'm asking because I have friends that want to come up to visit the weekend of the Alabama game and I hope I don't have to pay face value for all of the tickets. I never expected to be excited about a Duke football game.


Do you really want to watch Alabama hammer Duke into submission? I want tickets to basketball games, but I'm conflicted because I've hated Duke basketball for a while.


My friends that are coming up are Alabama fans so I'm pretty sure they wouldn't mind seeing a beatdown.



We need to get together then... I'm a UA alum and huge, huge Bama fan and I'm going to have several friends in town for the game.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Sat May 22, 2010 7:36 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
johndh wrote:
Reedie wrote:
johndh wrote:I can't believe I'm asking this but does anyone know the student ticket policy for football? I'm asking because I have friends that want to come up to visit the weekend of the Alabama game and I hope I don't have to pay face value for all of the tickets. I never expected to be excited about a Duke football game.


Do you really want to watch Alabama hammer Duke into submission? I want tickets to basketball games, but I'm conflicted because I've hated Duke basketball for a while.


My friends that are coming up are Alabama fans so I'm pretty sure they wouldn't mind seeing a beatdown.



We need to get together then... I'm a UA alum and huge, huge Bama fan and I'm going to have several friends in town for the game.


Guess I will be avoiding all public places that weekend, but thankfully the studying I get done that weekend will throw me ahead of all Alabama fans in the curve. :wink:

User avatar
Reedie
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:46 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Reedie » Sat May 22, 2010 8:28 pm

Jericwithers wrote:Guess I will be avoiding all public places that weekend, but thankfully the studying I get done that weekend will throw me ahead of all Alabama fans in the curve. :wink:


Mommas don't let your babys major in business.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Sat May 22, 2010 11:06 pm

Reedie wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:Guess I will be avoiding all public places that weekend, but thankfully the studying I get done that weekend will throw me ahead of all Alabama fans in the curve. :wink:


Mommas don't let your babys major in business.


Ain't it the truth though; being employable is hell :wink: .

johndh
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:20 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby johndh » Sun May 23, 2010 9:46 am

thickfreakness wrote:We need to get together then... I'm a UA alum and huge, huge Bama fan and I'm going to have several friends in town for the game.


Sounds good to me. How do you plan on getting tickets for them? Online it looked like you can only buy single game tickets if you are a season ticket holder. I guess I could get them on ebay or something...

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby thickfreakness » Sun May 23, 2010 9:54 am

johndh wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:We need to get together then... I'm a UA alum and huge, huge Bama fan and I'm going to have several friends in town for the game.


Sounds good to me. How do you plan on getting tickets for them? Online it looked like you can only buy single game tickets if you are a season ticket holder. I guess I could get them on ebay or something...


I think most of them will either still be students or else already have tickets from elsewhere. I've still gotta figure out how to snag a couple for myself.

User avatar
Reedie
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:46 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Reedie » Sun May 23, 2010 1:47 pm

Jericwithers wrote:Ain't it the truth though; being employable is hell :wink: .


Hey now, there are lots of corporate historians and philosophers.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby thickfreakness » Sun May 23, 2010 7:20 pm

Reedie wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:Ain't it the truth though; being employable is hell :wink: .


Hey now, there are lots of corporate historians and philosophers.



Yeah, the philosopher market wasn't too strong in Birmingham when I graduated so I took a job in banking, haha.

paralegal
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby paralegal » Mon May 24, 2010 1:05 pm

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =127041058

Just curious if anyone heard the npr interview of five Georgetown Law graduates re their employment prospects and dissapointments ITE?

The interview was entitled "Economy Seems Bleak for Graduating Law Students."

Interviewers suggest there will be five years of "lost attorneys" - apparently, Biglaw firms hire graduates fresh out of law school..... so when the legal community recovers from this economy and Biglaw firms hire more substantially again - they will hire from whichever class is graduating at that time....all the law graduates in between....lose out....

wondering if our class of 2013....will be okay?

2013 classmates and current Duke 2L and 3L care to comment?

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Mon May 24, 2010 1:16 pm

paralegal wrote:http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127041058

Just curious if anyone heard the npr interview of five Georgetown Law graduates re their employment prospects and dissapointments ITE?

The interview was entitled "Economy Seems Bleak for Graduating Law Students."

Interviewers suggest there will be five years of "lost attorneys" - apparently, Biglaw firms hire graduates fresh out of law school..... so when the legal community recovers from this economy and Biglaw firms hire more substantially again - they will hire from whichever class is graduating at that time....all the law graduates in between....lose out....

wondering if our class of 2013....will be okay?

2013 classmates and current Duke 2L and 3L care to comment?


The numbers on NALP (not sure of its accuracy) show that firms are hiring more this year than last year. Some are even starting to take 1Ls again. I think Duke's small class size puts us at an advantage to Georgetown's HUGE class size (over 700 per class including part-time and LLM students?). Not to downplay Georgetown as a great law school, but I would take it more seriously if the law students came from a wider range of school. Georgetown is hard to be indicative of what is happening at Duke, and really I haven't heard anyone at/from Duke say that feel like their career prospects have been 'lost.' I might listen to the interview later; adversity and being told I can't do something always motivates me to prove them wrong.

paralegal
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby paralegal » Mon May 24, 2010 1:18 pm

EDIT: shouldn't say "all" the law graduates in between...lose out" way too intense...let's just say "more than typically in the past" ....

paralegal
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby paralegal » Mon May 24, 2010 1:28 pm

jericwithers -

I totally agree that Duke's small class size is a real "plus" over Georgetown's HUGE class size... and Duke's employments statistics handed out at ASW was incredibly promising.....even clerkships at Duke were "strongly" represented....

paralegal
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby paralegal » Mon May 24, 2010 1:37 pm

EDIT: "Duke's employment statistics handed out at ASW "were" incredibly promising".... it's Monday, sorry, I'm still recovering from the weekend....

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Mon May 24, 2010 1:43 pm

paralegal wrote:EDIT: "Duke's employment statistics handed out at ASW "were" incredibly promising".... it's Monday, sorry, I'm still recovering from the weekend....


Haha it happens. Our career prospects aren't going to be the 75% biglaw enjoyed by Duke Law grads in 2005, but our 'current' (2009) 50% biglaw rate isn't the zombie apocalypse that some people like to say it is. To be safe though I would still generate an alternative career choice to biglaw.

User avatar
DallasCowboy
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:47 am

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby DallasCowboy » Mon May 24, 2010 4:47 pm

I just hope our class will be relaxed and not doom-and-gloom for three years. C'mon, we're at a T11 law school!

cavebat2000
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:08 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby cavebat2000 » Mon May 24, 2010 4:51 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:I just hope our class will be relaxed and not doom-and-gloom for three years. C'mon, we're at a T11 law school!


When I applied it was a t10, and I'm sticking to that! haha

After our class goes through it will definitely be back in the t10. ;-)

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7116
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby los blancos » Mon May 24, 2010 6:14 pm

paralegal wrote:wondering if our class of 2013....will be okay?


I'm convinced that we're going to get a double-humped recession and I'm going to be jobless. But I'll be the only one; don't worry.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Mon May 24, 2010 6:34 pm

los blancos wrote:
paralegal wrote:wondering if our class of 2013....will be okay?


I'm convinced that we're going to get a double-humped recession and I'm going to be jobless. But I'll be the only one; don't worry.


Our class will be going through OCI in a year from August, and everyone knows the double dip won't come until 2012. We should be golden.

User avatar
rotflawl
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:31 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby rotflawl » Mon May 24, 2010 7:35 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
los blancos wrote:
paralegal wrote:wondering if our class of 2013....will be okay?


I'm convinced that we're going to get a double-humped recession and I'm going to be jobless. But I'll be the only one; don't worry.


Our class will be going through OCI in a year from August, and everyone knows the double dip won't come until 2012. We should be golden.


To think, I *almost* applied to law school straight from undergrad and would have been c/o 2011. Dodged that bullet, and I hope now to only suffer a slight graze.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest