Duke Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
paralegal

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Postby paralegal » Thu May 13, 2010 2:29 pm

Poprox and Reedie -

Thanks for posting the most recent info from financial aid...

Plus....reminder to all -

Immunization Form due June 30......for fall starters.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Thu May 13, 2010 2:32 pm

Wife has a job, got approved and depsoited on the townhouse, and set a date with the movers. This stuff's gettin' real now!

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Thu May 13, 2010 3:03 pm

thickfreakness wrote:Wife has a job, got approved and depsoited on the townhouse, and set a date with the movers. This stuff's gettin' real now!

Congrats!

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Thu May 13, 2010 9:29 pm

Congrats, Freak! :mrgreen:

Man, I have accomplished absolutely nothing this summer, except peace of mind.

rotflawl

Postby rotflawl » Thu May 13, 2010 9:30 pm

thickfreakness wrote:Wife has a job, got approved and depsoited on the townhouse, and set a date with the movers. This stuff's gettin' real now!

Good news!

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Thu May 13, 2010 9:31 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:Congrats, Freak! :mrgreen:

Summer starts for me at 5pm tomorrow, and I'm excited to accomplish even less than you have.

rotflawl

Postby rotflawl » Thu May 13, 2010 10:10 pm

Jericwithers wrote:

Summer starts for me at 5pm tomorrow, and I'm excited to accomplish even less than you have.

Wow, I feel old. What's this "summer" of which you speak? My college graduation was two years ago tomorrow...

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Thu May 13, 2010 10:22 pm

rotflawl wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

Wow, I feel old. What's this "summer" of which you speak? My college graduation was two years ago tomorrow...

Don't worry, I'm going to feel extremely young in law school (and wherever I end up practicing).

rotflawl

Postby rotflawl » Thu May 13, 2010 10:30 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
rotflawl wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

Don't worry, I'm going to feel extremely young in law school (and wherever I end up practicing).

After I turn 24 in the fall, I'll probably just keep recycling that birthday until it's no longer believable.

atlrochester

Postby atlrochester » Fri May 14, 2010 9:08 am

exam software;

Yea each semester we download the latest version of software called Electronic BlueBook. It's just a type of word processor that allows you to submit directly to the registrar. It also saves your work every couple of seconds in case your computer crashes. The software can also be used "open" (allowing you to navigate outside of it once it's opened and use the internet, etc) or "closed" (bluebook will be the only thing on your screen). While all of my tests were at least partially open (ranging from allowing a 4-page self-made outline max to allowing commercial outlines) none of them were 'bluebook-open' allowing internet searching.

word constraints;

Yea I think the constraints are chosen for two reasons; 1) a genuine desire to have coherent exams instead of word vomit 2) being reasonable to the professor who has to grade 50+ exams

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Fri May 14, 2010 10:52 am

ATL, does the bluebook software have spell check..... :oops:

jonjung710

Postby jonjung710 » Sat May 15, 2010 3:15 am

Hey guys, i was wondering how well Duke places its grads in Chicago. Sadly, I don't have any connections in Chicago :(. Will it be extremely difficult for me to secure a Biglaw job in Chicago if I go to Duke? Thanks in advance!

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Sat May 15, 2010 8:18 am

According to NALP, only 6 firms from the Chi interview at OCIs. Did you get into Michigan (36 firms) or Northwestern (42)? Hell, even GULC has 14. Also, only 6% of 2009 grads went to the Midwest. But, because Duke is a national school, it should be possible.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Sat May 15, 2010 1:30 pm

So does anyone record their classes on a voice recorder? Is this even allowed by many professors? I feel it probably wouldn't be helpful since most classes probably aren't lecture but are more socratic discussion, correct?

paralegal

Postby paralegal » Sat May 15, 2010 1:38 pm

The largerest percentage of Duke graduates place into NYC and DC and in part by self selection. However, I personally know a partner at a top Vault 25 Biglaw firm in Chicago who is in charge of recruitment - I met with him before I finalized my decision to attend Duke. He said that Duke was definitely recruited by Chicago firms. At his firm, for example, he said they specifically hired a few graduates from a handful of top law schools - Duke included as one of those schools. With the small class size at Duke, I would think this might place you at somewhat of an advantage.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Sat May 15, 2010 1:50 pm

Jericwithers wrote:ATL, does the bluebook software have spell check..... :oops:

Yes, yes it does. And thank God for it.

Reedie

Postby Reedie » Sat May 15, 2010 4:46 pm

Jericwithers wrote:So does anyone record their classes on a voice recorder? Is this even allowed by many professors? I feel it probably wouldn't be helpful since most classes probably aren't lecture but are more socratic discussion, correct?

I'm terrible at taking notes on lectures and discussions, so I might purchase one. It will probably be a waste, however.

rotflawl

Postby rotflawl » Sat May 15, 2010 5:43 pm

Reedie wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:So does anyone record their classes on a voice recorder? Is this even allowed by many professors? I feel it probably wouldn't be helpful since most classes probably aren't lecture but are more socratic discussion, correct?

I'm terrible at taking notes on lectures and discussions, so I might purchase one. It will probably be a waste, however.

I think MS OneNote has a recording function. I'm not sure of the time maximum, but I used the v-recorder for not insignificant portions my research projects' focus groups in college.

rotflawl

Postby rotflawl » Sat May 15, 2010 5:45 pm

paralegal wrote:The largerest percentage of Duke graduates place into NYC and DC and in part by self selection. However, I personally know a partner at a top Vault 25 Biglaw firm in Chicago who is in charge of recruitment - I met with him before I finalized my decision to attend Duke. He said that Duke was definitely recruited by Chicago firms. At his firm, for example, he said they specifically hired a few graduates from a handful of top law schools - Duke included as one of those schools. With the small class size at Duke, I would think this might place you at somewhat of an advantage.

I love how well informed you are about hiring! It's very reassuring to hear about Duke's good reputation. Are planning to return to SoCal (if I remember correctly) to work?

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Sat May 15, 2010 9:22 pm

rotflawl wrote:
paralegal wrote:The largerest percentage of Duke graduates place into NYC and DC and in part by self selection. However, I personally know a partner at a top Vault 25 Biglaw firm in Chicago who is in charge of recruitment - I met with him before I finalized my decision to attend Duke. He said that Duke was definitely recruited by Chicago firms. At his firm, for example, he said they specifically hired a few graduates from a handful of top law schools - Duke included as one of those schools. With the small class size at Duke, I would think this might place you at somewhat of an advantage.

I love how well informed you are about hiring! It's very reassuring to hear about Duke's good reputation. Are planning to return to SoCal (if I remember correctly) to work?

Lol I always quote paralegal's good words on Duke to my friends and family. Looking forward to making partner in DC and recruiting coordinator in Chicago ;).

paralegal

Postby paralegal » Sun May 16, 2010 1:40 am

Thanks, guys, for your nice comments....

Actually, I went to UG on the East Coast...really prefer the East Coast. Been working in So Cali for a Vault 25 firm (Biglaw with offices all over the US and international offices as well) - absolutely amazing job...and the partners that I work with everyday are from all the top law schools...Harvard, Columbia, Stanford, Duke, UVA, Michigan, Penn....I feel really fortunate to be working in this incredibly intellectual environment.

Looking forward to heading back to the East Coast - hoping for Biglaw in DC or NYC.

ObviouslyMasochistic

Postby ObviouslyMasochistic » Sun May 16, 2010 11:08 am

Definitely agree with this. The only thing is that people who want Chicago or Cali will have to do a bit more legwork for 1L summer jobs and OCI. Since few firms come on campus to interview from those areas, you'll have to be proactive in reaching out to other firms outside of OCI. It's not a big deal, just requires a bit more work to get to Chicago than for the NW kids.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sun May 16, 2010 12:12 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:According to NALP, only 6 firms from the Chi interview at OCIs. Did you get into Michigan (36 firms) or Northwestern (42)? Hell, even GULC has 14. Also, only 6% of 2009 grads went to the Midwest. But, because Duke is a national school, it should be possible.

FWIW when I met a 2L at ASO who was going to be working for K&E. I think she might've had ties, though.

I'm from Chicago and I'm not too worried but that's mainly because I have ties to this market (and I don't really intend on coming back to begin with). It might be a tough nut to crack if you don't know anyone but the relative rarity of Duke grads in the area might work for you.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Mon May 17, 2010 11:11 pm

So financial aid information is out. It seems they don't give you any of your loan money until the 1st day of class. I guess I have to take out a loan to pay for things before I get my loan money?

EDIT: While I have just began to look through all the handbook information I have some questions maybe current students or others could help answer for me.

1) Are loans dispersed only in the fall for the entire school year, or once in fall and once in spring?
2) If so, is it possible to increase your loan amount (assuming you didn't take out the full amount possible) between what you got for the fall semester and what you get for the spring semester?

Thanks.

paralegal

Postby paralegal » Tue May 18, 2010 12:14 pm

Jericwithers -

1) In the 2010 Enrolled Student Information packet, under Tuition Payments, the language reads "loans are disbursed at the beginning of the semester." This language suggests that loans are disbursed per semester.
2) Haven't read anything specific to this question. However, I would tend to believe that the loan amount could be increased if necessary.

Best to contact Financial Aid to get straight answers.

I did read that we should sign up for "direct deposit." - If you choose to borrow enough to also cover living expenses, the remaining amount will be refunded to you directly into your checking account through direct deposit.

Hope that helps....

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”