Duke Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
los blancos

Platinum

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Post by los blancos » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:56 am

Jericwithers wrote:
los blancos wrote:Still trying to figure out if I'm gonna move my stuff or just sell it all...
What kind of stuff? From Chicago? When do you move? Would it all fit in your vehicle?
All of my furniture. I have a bed, desk, dining table/chairs, TV, and 2 couches still in my apartment. I could try to sell em off but I like the stuff and it's probably going to be a pain in the ass to sell it all and then buy new furniture. There's also the issue that my lease doesn't start till the day before orientation so unless they let me move in early, buying furniture once i get down there is going to be really annoying.

I would definitely move it all, but it's like $800 to rent a truck, and add gas on to that. I don't know what to do.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:05 am

los blancos wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
los blancos wrote:Still trying to figure out if I'm gonna move my stuff or just sell it all...
What kind of stuff? From Chicago? When do you move? Would it all fit in your vehicle?
All of my furniture. I have a bed, desk, dining table/chairs, TV, and 2 couches still in my apartment. I could try to sell em off but I like the stuff and it's probably going to be a pain in the ass to sell it all and then buy new furniture. There's also the issue that my lease doesn't start till the day before orientation so unless they let me move in early, buying furniture once i get down there is going to be really annoying.

I would definitely move it all, but it's like $800 to rent a truck, and add gas on to that. I don't know what to do.
It all depends on how much you could sell your stuff for and what the replacement cost would be for new stuff you like. For $1050 it might be worth it to keep your current furniture. A bed starts at $400, a couch at $300, a nice desk at $80, and I have no clue about dining room furniture. Do the math and see which side wins.

ela7117

New

Post by ela7117 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:49 am

poprox wrote:Ihope locopops makes Mexican-style popsicles (like Las Paletas in Nashville). I love those things! They are addictive in the summer heat :-)
yep they certainly do.

peeker82

Bronze

Post by peeker82 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:26 am

tag

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:53 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
los blancos wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

It all depends on how much you could sell your stuff for and what the replacement cost would be for new stuff you like. For $1050 it might be worth it to keep your current furniture. A bed starts at $400, a couch at $300, a nice desk at $80, and I have no clue about dining room furniture. Do the math and see which side wins.
There's an Ikea in Charlotte:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/store/charlotte

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:00 pm

los blancos wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

You might be able to get that down if you pick a different company--Uhaul, Budget, Penske and Ryder are the biggest--or location. You can negotiate with them too; "XYZ gave me unlimited miles," works pretty well. Also, some companies base their rate on how far you're going, so it may make sense to do a round trip or a partial round trip and then fly/drive back to Durham.

someones alt

Bronze

Post by someones alt » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:14 pm

Better than IKEA is the fact that you'll be entering a town with a million furniture resale stores and an exodus of biglaw bound graduates who don't need their TTT furnishings anymore.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:51 pm

someones alt wrote:Better than IKEA is the fact that you'll be entering a town with a million furniture resale stores and an exodus of biglaw bound graduates who don't need their TTT furnishings anymore.
Do you have an address or phone number for 'TTT Furniture Direct'?

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:14 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
someones alt wrote:Better than IKEA is the fact that you'll be entering a town with a million furniture resale stores and an exodus of biglaw bound graduates who don't need their TTT furnishings anymore.
Van Hecke-Wettach Hall
160 Ridge Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27599

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:23 pm

quakeroats wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
Van Hecke-Wettach Hall
Thats so mean! :lol:

Also, the Charlotte IKEA is quite a distance from Durham. I can see driving an hour each way for IKEA, but a 4 hour round trip is a bit much. You've crossed a horrible line when 'road trips' end with putting together a swedish dresser.

ela7117

New

Post by ela7117 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:54 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
Van Hecke-Wettach Hall
Thats so mean! :lol:

Also, the Charlotte IKEA is quite a distance from Durham. I can see driving an hour each way for IKEA, but a 4 hour round trip is a bit much. You've crossed a horrible line when 'road trips' end with putting together a swedish dresser.
I would suggest a visit to the many used furniture stores, as another poster suggested. One I personally recommend is TROSA, which has a very noble mission in employing and providing for members overcoming substance abuse. TROSA operates many side businesses in Durham to support its mission, one of which is a furniture thrift store.
--LinkRemoved--
TROSA moving services is very popular too, in the event you move apartments.

There is also a local Salvation Army, Thrift World (so/so, more clothes centric), and Everything But Grannies Panties (really cool, lots of knick/knacks, some furniture), among many others.

someones alt

Bronze

Post by someones alt » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:45 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
Nah I let others do the heavy lifting, I'm just here to make snarky comments every couple of days

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:54 pm

someones alt wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
Nah I let others do the heavy lifting, I'm just here to make snarky comments every couple of days
Looking for a study group? That is the exact attitude that would really help to bring a group together.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dondraper

New

Post by dondraper » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:22 pm

poprox wrote:On another note I was at the law school earlier (no internet service at my place yet), sitting outside minding my business and this dude rushes out, smoking a cigarette. Right away he starts walking in circles frantically next to the tables just outside the door, steps from me. It was dark out and I sort of panicked - this guy seemed totally unstable and my sixth sense was screaming 'get the fock away from this dude NOW!'. He was circling fast like 1) Sht had totally hit the fan -and- 2) He was trying to get blood flowing to stay awake and keep working

He finally went back in the building after 5 mins or so. When I was walking back to my car in the Chem lot I saw him on a computer in the library (only one in there). Then it struck me - this guy must be one of the summer starters. If this is what happens after just a few weeks - OH.SHIT.

I'm a summer starter and we have finals this week so right now we are kind of crazy, but that guy was definitely studying for the bar.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:26 pm

dondraper wrote:I'm a summer starter and we have finals this week
Good luck!

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:46 pm

so, do the summer starters not take any core classes with the fall starters in 1L? I wonder how big the advantage is of already taking law exams and knowing how you performed.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:03 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:so, do the summer starters not take any core classes with the fall starters in 1L? I wonder how big the advantage is of already taking law exams and knowing how you performed.
A hefty advantage I would say. Summer starters take property with section 6 and torts with section 2 (supposedly). I would love to hear from more summer starters about it all once they take their finals.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:14 pm

Good luck with that, we're entering a war zone. Get your guns ready.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:33 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:Good luck with that, we're entering a war zone. Get your guns ready.
No room for absolute gain in law school? Must it be a zero-sum battle?

....bring it on :twisted:

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:04 pm

Not sure if anyone needs a backpack, but this week Staples is giving a 100% refund on the cost of all backpacks. I figure its time to trade in my Ghostbusters one for something a bit more 'law school.'

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:29 pm

Jericwithers wrote:Not sure if anyone needs a backpack, but this week Staples is giving a 100% refund on the cost of all backpacks. I figure its time to trade in my Ghostbusters one for something a bit more 'law school.'
What's the verdict on backpacks v. messenger bags?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Reedie

Bronze

Post by Reedie » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:00 pm

quakeroats wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:Not sure if anyone needs a backpack, but this week Staples is giving a 100% refund on the cost of all backpacks. I figure its time to trade in my Ghostbusters one for something a bit more 'law school.'
4% of backpack owners got a V10 2L SA compared with 6% of messenger back owners.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:53 pm

Reedie wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
4% of backpack owners got a V10 2L SA compared with 6% of messenger back owners.
lol! I love subtle allusions!
Last edited by quakeroats on Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:00 am

I have a "messenger bag" (also known as a man purse) that I used in undergrad. It's hip and everything, but it can't hold a ton of stuff. I'm getting a backpack.

Movers picked stuff up yesterday, going to sign the lease tomorrow, stuff will show up some time next week.

Alabama is going to rule college football again next year. When they come to Durham you all will have the opportunity to now witness the power of this fully armed and operational football team.

I need sleep.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:23 am

I think I might go with something like this for the move:

http://www.upack.com/moving-services/mo ... r-size.asp

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”