Duke Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
zhlaw12345

New

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Post by zhlaw12345 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:38 pm

Franklin, when you say "the Bookstore", do you mean the Duke Bookstore or some online bookstore?

Does that mean we can't just walk into the bookstore and pick up books? Do I have to order online first and wait for the book to be ready?
I haven't buy any LRW books yet, and I don't even know where the bookstore is. Is it a reasonable walking distance from the LS to the bookstore?

Thanks in advance.

franklinlincoln wrote:Does anyone have Richard K. Neumann and Sheila Simon, "Legal Writing" for 160A-08?

I ordered it last Wednesday, but the Bookstore says the order will not be ready until Aug. 26. I was hoping to borrow it for 30-45 minutes to do the readings for our first class.

Or, alternatively, has anyone been able to pick up their books early from the Bookstore?

beantowngunnahh

New

Post by beantowngunnahh » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:02 pm

zhlaw12345 wrote:Franklin, when you say "the Bookstore", do you mean the Duke Bookstore or some online bookstore?

Does that mean we can't just walk into the bookstore and pick up books? Do I have to order online first and wait for the book to be ready?
I haven't buy any LRW books yet, and I don't even know where the bookstore is. Is it a reasonable walking distance from the LS to the bookstore?

Thanks in advance.

franklinlincoln wrote:Does anyone have Richard K. Neumann and Sheila Simon, "Legal Writing" for 160A-08?

I ordered it last Wednesday, but the Bookstore says the order will not be ready until Aug. 26. I was hoping to borrow it for 30-45 minutes to do the readings for our first class.

Or, alternatively, has anyone been able to pick up their books early from the Bookstore?
The textbook store is located in the student union building (Bryan Center), which is a 5 min walk from the LS (continue on Science Drive towards campus, hang a right where you see the massive parking garage). Go into the the apparel store, and take the staircase downstairs right at the entrance. The law section is right at the end of the staircase near the checkout counter. Books are separated by section and class. No, you don't have to order them in advance, but some are not in stock and you can reserve copies of out of stock books. I would recommend going on Amazon first, students get free premium 2-day shipping and you can find most of the required texts for much cheaper than the textbook store.

Chairman

New

Post by Chairman » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:09 pm

I called the bookstore when I got the email saying the books would not be ready until the 26th:

me: "uhh...I just ordered my books online and got an email saying they wouldn't be ready until the twenty-si...."
bookstore lady: "are you a law student?"
me: "yep"
bookstore lady: "they'll be ready for pickup the afternoon of the 17th"
me: "ok thanks bye"

zhlaw12345

New

Post by zhlaw12345 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:23 pm

I am reading previous messages and just realize that we have to wear business casual tomorrow.
I am a bit dress-code-challenged, so my question might sound dumb.

Is it OK to wear polo shirt? The wikipedia says it's OK.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_casual

Polo shirt is more comfortable for this hot weather. I don't need to look sharp or anything, just "passable."

Chairman

New

Post by Chairman » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:37 pm

zhlaw12345 wrote:I am reading previous messages and just realize that we have to wear business casual tomorrow.
I am a bit dress-code-challenged, so my question might sound dumb.

Is it OK to wear polo shirt? The wikipedia says it's OK.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_casual

Polo shirt is more comfortable for this hot weather. I don't need to look sharp or anything, just "passable."
A polo shirt is passable...although just barely (IMO). Needs to be worn with khakis (not dark slacks).

Anyone want to take guesses as to how many kids will be wearing suits tomorrow?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

poprox

Bronze

Post by poprox » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:43 pm

A polo shirt would qualify as business casual attire, and I think it's appropriate in *some* situations. However, I've never seen a lawyer wear a polo shirt to work at any of the large law firm offices where I have worked. I know we are students and not lawyers, but imho we're beginning to draft and project our image as members of the profession.

I hate to rain on your polo parade (especially because I agree that polo shirts are more comfortable in sweltering weather), but I think a dress shirt without a tie is better suited. Personally I'm going for 100% cotton slacks that are freshly pressed and a %100 cotton dress shirt, likely unbuttoned and rolled at the wrist if it gets really hot. Cotton breathes really well, so that should help.

If you only have wool or synthetic material slacks in your closet then you are in a tough spot. That makes the polo shirt far more tempting....

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:05 pm

Chairman wrote:
i think we all know of at least one...

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:26 pm

I can't wait to wear a t-shirt and shorts the rest of the week (and semester). Dressing up is fun, but once you do it 5 or 6 days a week for over a year straight it gets kinda old.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:26 pm

los blancos wrote:
Chairman wrote:
lol. That was my favorite memory from the ASW.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:29 pm

quakeroats wrote:
los blancos wrote:
Chairman wrote:
Is that guy in the class? Does anyone know? Did he kill himself because he had to attend lowly Duke?

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:31 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
los blancos wrote:
Chairman wrote:
Is that guy in the class? Does anyone know? Did he kill himself because he had to attend lowly Duke?
We'll know tomorrow. I'm sure he have some more observations to share--with everyone.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:35 pm

quakeroats wrote:
thickfreakness wrote: Is that guy in the class? Does anyone know? Did he kill himself because he had to attend lowly Duke?
We'll know tomorrow. I'm sure he have some more observations to share--with everyone.
HOW CAN YOU PROPERLY ORIENT US IF YOU CANNOT, AT THIS MOMENT, FURNISH A COMPLETE AND ACCURATE LIST OF ALL READING ASSIGNMENTS FOR EVERY CLASS? ANSWER ME THIS, SIR!

poprox

Bronze

Post by poprox » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:40 pm

and it says your required textbook is published in Toronto, so I assume your previous students were all fluent in Canadian English? Or else how could they expect to accomplish anything?!!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pelmen74

Bronze

Post by pelmen74 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:07 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
thickfreakness wrote: Is that guy in the class? Does anyone know? Did he kill himself because he had to attend lowly Duke?
HOW CAN YOU PROPERLY ORIENT US IF YOU CANNOT, AT THIS MOMENT, FURNISH A COMPLETE AND ACCURATE LIST OF ALL READING ASSIGNMENTS FOR EVERY CLASS? ANSWER ME THIS, SIR!
Please tell me more? what else did suit kid do?

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:19 pm

poprox wrote:and it says your required textbook is published in Toronto, so I assume your previous students were all fluent in Canadian English? Or else how could they expect to accomplish anything?!!!
Exactly. If they don't use Eh's and Aboot's, then I just do NOT see how anything remotely productive could have been accomplished.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:20 pm

I'm engaging in a compulsive iTunes library reorganization--I might sleep tonight, maybe not. I'm ready for this beeyotch tomorrow.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:43 pm

poprox wrote:and it says your required textbook is published in Toronto, so I assume your previous students were all fluent in Canadian English? Or else how could they expect to accomplish anything?!!!
hahahhahahaha 179

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:47 am

Ok, someone has GOT to tell me more about what this kid did at OCI. I only saw him wandering around while I was tending the Duke BAR association table, I know nothing of his exploits.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:08 pm

Bosque wrote:Ok, someone has GOT to tell me more about what this kid did at OCI. I only saw him wandering around while I was tending the Duke BAR association table, I know nothing of his exploits.
Tending bar eh?

someones alt

Bronze

Post by someones alt » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:52 pm

STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE SO FUCKING GOOD

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:51 pm

someones alt wrote:STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE SO FUCKING GOOD
you would make this post

So our lead fellow told us that the M/F ratio for c/o 2013 is totally screwed up. Anyone else hear anything about this? It certainly seemed to be the case.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:25 pm

los blancos wrote:
you would make this post

So our lead fellow told us that the M/F ratio for c/o 2013 is totally screwed up. Anyone else hear anything about this? It certainly seemed to be the case.
I didn't notice. Which way is it skewed?

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:43 pm

quakeroats wrote:
los blancos wrote:
you would make this post

Seemed like a sausage party to me, homie.

pelmen74

Bronze

Post by pelmen74 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:45 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
los blancos wrote:
you would make this post

Seemed like a sausage party to me, homie.
Last edited by pelmen74 on Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poprox

Bronze

Post by poprox » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:29 pm

Plenty of cool ppl today; I didn't happen to notice suit guy.

Bosque, I think there's a whole string of comments describing said antics in this thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7#p2760717

scroll down to my superlong post and begin with the paragraph "My fellow admitted students". I think it keeps going on for a page or two after that

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”