Duke Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Jericwithers

Gold

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Post by Jericwithers » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:16 pm

ObviouslyMasochistic wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:When did/do you 2Ls find out about law review?
Today at noon.
Well I hope it was good news then.

I don't see how a lottery system would hurt those in the 2nd half of the class. From what I hear, it gets them into interviews they might not have otherwise received and gives them a chance to impress (if the interviewers are even paying attention beyond the resume/transcript). My only concern is how a lottery system hurts those who are targeting firms in secondary markets.

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:30 pm

How so? I would think it would guarantee those students a chance to interview with their choice firms.

edit: us students

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:40 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:How so? I would think it would guarantee those students a chance to interview with their choice firms.

edit: us students
Talking about secondary markets? You are probably right. I just figured it was a random assignment of the firms we selected (names in a hat), but it is probably more of a supply/demand formula. As long as the desired secondary markets remain unattractive to the general class there shouldn't be a problem.

(idea) :idea:

Have I told anyone how horrible the state of Texas is lately?

Reedie

Bronze

Post by Reedie » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:09 pm

Jericwithers wrote: Have I told anyone how horrible the state of Texas is lately?
Everyone already knows. Except Texans.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:23 pm

Reedie wrote:
Jericwithers wrote: Have I told anyone how horrible the state of Texas is lately?
Everyone already knows. Except Texans.
:lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:35 pm

When do we get our law email address?

paralegal

Bronze

Post by paralegal » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:43 pm

ObviouslyMasochistic wrote:On a personal note, I hate the lottery system. I really wish Duke did at least a partial pre-screen. I'm not really sure how much a lottery system helps students at or below median.
I personally agree with this. I’m not in favor of a 100% lottery system either, and I wish that Duke included a partial pre-screen. When I called Career Services at Duke they said that they felt that the lottery system “leveled the playing field” (so to speak), giving every student a fair shot. IMO, that’s nice in theory, but in reality, the top Vault firms that attend Duke’s OCI “have” definite GPA cut-offs. You can hope to impress an interviewer all you want; but unfortunately, this just ends up being a complete waste of everyone’s time. The top student who should have had the interview slot ends up being placed on the waitlist while the student at/below the median gets the interview. My guess is that the firms have limited amounts of time and would really prefer to schedule their own interviews with pre-screened students that had matched their criteria.

But like I said previously, a lot of top law schools use a 100% lottery system, Michigan for one.

At least, Duke has a small class size. The thought of using a 100% lottery system with Michigan's class size is a little more unsettling.
Last edited by paralegal on Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:49 pm

paralegal wrote:But like I said previously, a lot of top law schools use a 100% lottery system, Michigan for one.
The only schools I know of that don't use 100% lotto are Texas and Virginia. I'll promise, if you do the same, that if I am at/below median I will not even bid on a V50 interview :P

The 'Simplicity' system they use for OCI looks very familiar to the one my school used for OCI as well. I wonder if that will give me a competitive advantage :mrgreen:

ObviouslyMasochistic

New

Post by ObviouslyMasochistic » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:50 pm

paralegal wrote:
ObviouslyMasochistic wrote:On a personal note, I hate the lottery system. I really wish Duke did at least a partial pre-screen. I'm not really sure how much a lottery system helps students at or below median.
I personally agree with this. I’m not in favor of a 100% lottery system either, and I wish that Duke included a partial pre-screen. When I called Career Services at Duke they said that they felt that the lottery system “leveled the playing field” (so to speak), giving every student a fair shot. IMO, that’s nice in theory, but in reality, the top Vault firms that attend Duke’s OCI “have” definite GPA cut-offs. You can hope to impress an interviewer all you want; but unfortunately, this just ends up being a complete waste of everyone’s time. The top student who should have had the interview slot ends up being placed on the waitlist while the student at/below the median gets the interview. My guess is that the firms have limited amounts of time and would really prefer to schedule their own interviews with pre-screened students that had matched their criteria.

But like I said previously, a lot of top law schools use a 100% lottery system, Michigan for one.

At least, Duke has a small class size. The thought of using a 100% lottery system with Michigan's class size is a little more unsettling.
Credited x 1000; the bolded part gets to the heart of the issue. Paralegal, you are wise beyond your 0L label.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:06 pm

Jericwithers wrote:When do we get our law email address?
We've had them forever.... :lol:

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:12 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:When do we get our law email address?
We've had them forever.... :lol:
I have an @duke.edu address, but not a @law.duke.edu one. Did you receive information for the law email in the mail or over the internet?

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:45 pm

oh, didn't know we were getting another

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:57 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:oh, didn't know we were getting another
Of course we are; how else am I going to impress people if not with my email address :mrgreen:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Reedie

Bronze

Post by Reedie » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:21 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
Of course we are; how else am I going to impress people if not with my email address :mrgreen:
Pretty sure we don't.

paralegal

Bronze

Post by paralegal » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:44 pm

Reedie wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
Pretty sure we don't.
A while ago, I remember reading that the @law.duke.edu email address had been discontinued, and all future emails would be @duke.edu addresses. The change had something to do with Duke University's need to simplify their system by including all graduate school email addresses. Actually, a lot of law schools have made this change.
Last edited by paralegal on Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:55 pm

paralegal wrote:
Reedie wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
Pretty sure we don't.
A while ago, I vremember reading that the @law.duke.edu email address had been discontinued, and all future emails would be @duke.edu addresses. The change had something to do with Duke University's need to simplify their system by including all graduate school email addresses. Actually, a lot of law schools have made this change.

How very dissapointing. I saw the Duke Law email login page and thought I would get one. Duke has now lost the lay prestige appeal that was soooo crucial in my decision process.

paralegal

Bronze

Post by paralegal » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:06 pm

Jericwithers wrote:How very dissapointing. I saw the Duke Law email login page and thought I would get one. Duke has now lost the lay prestige appeal that was soooo crucial in my decision process.

Sorry that I had to break the disappointing news about the email address….but believe me it’s a minor detail. :D You’ll have a lifetime of lay and professional prestige associated with a JD from Duke Law.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:21 pm

paralegal wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:How very dissapointing. I saw the Duke Law email login page and thought I would get one. Duke has now lost the lay prestige appeal that was soooo crucial in my decision process.

Sorry that I had to break the disappointing news about the email address….but believe me it’s a minor detail. :D You’ll have a lifetime of lay and professional prestige associated with a JD from Duke Law.
--ImageRemoved--

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:00 am

prezidentv8 wrote:
paralegal wrote:

--ImageRemoved--
Hahaha, I love it.

I know the lack of a law email address doesn't change the amount of prestige, but it sure does limit my opportunities to brag about it in every day life. Now how else am I supposed to let the hair stylist know about my success if not when she asks for my email address.

To make it easier, I have attached an illustration of the possible labels my attitude warrants:

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:50 am

Does anyone know how to access old Duke exams? I've heard they're on file at the library, but since a number of schools have online repositories I thought Duke might also. Btw, I've managed to collect some exams from other schools. I'd be happy to share materials--it might be beneficial to set up a TLS exam co-op for those interested.

insidethetwenty

Bronze

Post by insidethetwenty » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:43 pm

In addition to the immunization form, what other medical stuff is required? I was poking around on the student health site and there was a set of six questionnaires that said you had to fill them out. Has anyone else done this?

ETA: My UG sent my transcript almost two months ago and I've yet to get confirmation that Duke received it. Do they confirm or should I just assume they got it?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:16 pm

insidethetwenty wrote:In addition to the immunization form, what other medical stuff is required? I was poking around on the student health site and there was a set of six questionnaires that said you had to fill them out. Has anyone else done this?

ETA: My UG sent my transcript almost two months ago and I've yet to get confirmation that Duke received it. Do they confirm or should I just assume they got it?
I never got confirmation for transcripts, and yes I filled out the questionnaires that was detailed in the immunization instructions.

Also I think an exam collection is a good idea. Practice makes perfect.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:35 pm

I never received confirmation of transcript receipt so I just called the admissions office and they confirmed it was received.

As far as the health stuff, the forms are fairly standard history and physical stuff so if you ever have to go to the health center or hospital they (presumably) don't have to waste time getting one during your visit.

paralegal

Bronze

Post by paralegal » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:49 pm

Leaving for Duke one week from today, August 2nd. I will be driving from CA..... Really excited!!!!

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:15 pm

Hrmmm, a food tasting tour for $15. I'm tempted to sign up just to find out what a "gourmet popsicle" is.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”