Duke Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
soullesswonder

Silver

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Post by soullesswonder » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:44 pm

insidethetwenty wrote:Does anybody know when would be a good time to start negotiating on a scholarship? I read something about a "negotiation period" on here, but is that a formal timeframe or is it just a general guideline?
Wait until next week - they're putting out the last round of initial scholarship offers as we speak.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:58 pm

soullesswonder wrote:
insidethetwenty wrote:Does anybody know when would be a good time to start negotiating on a scholarship? I read something about a "negotiation period" on here, but is that a formal timeframe or is it just a general guideline?
Wait until next week - they're putting out the last round of initial scholarship offers as we speak.
I don't like your new avatar. House was best.

After posting earlier about missing the call from an alum over the weekend he called again today and we had a short conversation. Nice guy and had some good things to say about the network at Duke helping him get a job that launched his career and being dispersed across the country. Anyone else talked to an alum yet?

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:51 pm

Still waiting on my alum contact from the school itself, but I've had the opportunity to meet a young alum in my area and had lunch with him a few weeks back. He went into a federal clerkship and is now in a big/mid-law firm that's one of the most well regarded in my city.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:56 pm

thickfreakness wrote:Still waiting on my alum contact from the school itself, but I've had the opportunity to meet a young alum in my area and had lunch with him a few weeks back. He went into a federal clerkship and is now in a big/mid-law firm that's one of the most well regarded in my city.
Interesting, they should do the same and hook me up with someone in Austin. Guess there aren't any here :?

Anyone ever notice that on the picture heading when you log into the admitted students website the person on the right is playing solitare on their laptop? Possibly freecell.

someones alt

Bronze

Post by someones alt » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:10 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
someones alt wrote:I have a couple prospectives, but I think I'll choose my future roommate on a GPA/LSAT metric rather than looking at him holistically.
True to the Duke way! Good luck, you're from Texas right? I met 2 people from Dallas. One was really tall and blonde and the other I ran into while touring the campus. Either of them you?

I also met a Sooner who I swear is on TLS, but maybe that is because I have seen a Sooner on here and I can only imagine there being a handful of OU fans who would admit to it outside of their state.
Did you happen to be following a chemistry tour group, because if so then yes that was me

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:32 pm

someones alt wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
someones alt wrote:I have a couple prospectives, but I think I'll choose my future roommate on a GPA/LSAT metric rather than looking at him holistically.
True to the Duke way! Good luck, you're from Texas right? I met 2 people from Dallas. One was really tall and blonde and the other I ran into while touring the campus. Either of them you?

I also met a Sooner who I swear is on TLS, but maybe that is because I have seen a Sooner on here and I can only imagine there being a handful of OU fans who would admit to it outside of their state.
Did you happen to be following a chemistry tour group, because if so then yes that was me
Hah! I had a sneaking suspicion that was you. Met 3 people from TLS then, 1 intentional and 2 unintentional. Seem like a nice guy, if I hadn't already got on a waitlist for an apartment I would throw my lsat/gpa into the roommate mix. I think everyone from TLS should just buy a house together and if there are any conflicts or issues just resolve them with the added benefit of anonymity over the internets.

MissCongeniality

New

Post by MissCongeniality » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:37 pm

Jericwithers wrote: Anyone else talked to an alum yet?
I have, and his enthusiasm was remarkable, even letting me interrupt 30 minutes of his March Madness viewing with a phone call.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:38 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
someones alt wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

Hah! I had a sneaking suspicion that was you. Met 3 people from TLS then, 1 intentional and 2 unintentional. Seem like a nice guy, if I hadn't already got on a waitlist for an apartment I would throw my lsat/gpa into the roommate mix. I think everyone from TLS should just buy a house together and if there are any conflicts or issues just resolve them with the added benefit of anonymity over the internets.
Was I an intentional or unintentional?

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:50 pm

thickfreakness wrote:Was I an intentional or unintentional?
The only intentional one, but that is because you were the only person I knew enough about to pick out of a crowd (not because I particularly like you :wink: )

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

poprox

Bronze

Post by poprox » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:38 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:I'm still having a hard time believing this guy wasn't a deliberate flame.
I am glad someone noticed me.
los blancos wrote:hahahahahaha soulless, i'm laughing my ass off right now. i was sitting in the row behind him to the right and i had to restrain myself from ranting to everyone else. there was no way in hell this guy was an impersonator, by the way. choice #2 is TITCR. that said, almost everyone i met was pretty cool and down to earth.

what was funny for me was that i was totally into richman's mock and ready to answer anything if he called on me, and then my lack of sleep + coleman's low-key style made me lose attention and when he called on me i gave a lame answer. :mrgreen:

i did not manage to out j-dub today. maybe tomorrow. :twisted:

j-dub, if i haven't found you until noon tomorrow, let's just have a TLS meetup.

i went to the DBA event and hung around for a bit but i got bored and don't feel good to begin with, so i came back to my hotel. anyone else going on the apartment showing thing tomorrow?
I'll be there, I also picked out 4 or 5 places to check out on my own if they dont take us there. ...
MissCongeniality wrote:Brazil law gunner made my day/life/weekend. I love this place, though. Thankfully spared from the cold call, phew.
I was sitting right next to the girl who got cold called right at the beginning of contracts. Neither of us had read, and before class we discussed my certainty of the probability of us getting called on being too small to worry about. Needless to say I was very nervous when he said 'you in the blue shirt' and pointed right at me. Luckily fate has bad aim and hit the person in a blue shirt right next to me.
So you were next to the girl with the big round glasses? I looked right at you, but there were a lot of us in blue shirts - helps to blend with the crowd moreso than say a bowtie and an acute knowledge of Brazillian Law.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:09 pm

poprox wrote:So you were next to the girl with the big round glasses? I looked right at you, but there were a lot of us in blue shirts - helps to blend with the crowd moreso than say a bowtie and an acute knowledge of Brazillian Law.
I wouldn't call them big, but yes I was sitting next to the girl who got cold-called to start the class off. You did the clinic program first and then the PI/pro bono program in that oder, yes? If so I was in those too, and during the PI session I asked about PI summer grant/award amounts. I enjoyed the PI session less than the clinic session, but maybe that was because I really wanted to go to career counseling but there were too many people. However the PI stuff was still interesting and I, like the majority of everyone else, will be committing to the 50 hour pledge. Not sure how I will spend it though, as I can be pretty stingy with my little bit of free time lol.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:19 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
The only intentional one, but that is because you were the only person I knew enough about to pick out of a crowd (not because I particularly like you :wink: )

Dammit. I guess PMing you my IRL name before the ASO kind of made outing me easy. You're probably just mad because my alma mater's football team kicked the ass of your alma mater's football team this January.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:22 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

Dammit. I guess PMing you my IRL name before the ASO kind of made outing me easy. You're probably just mad because my alma mater's football team kicked the ass of your alma mater's football team this January.
They beat a highschool quarterback, so don't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back (which I think is how McCoy got 'hurt', right?). In my mind the game ended when we brought it back to 3pt difference in the 4th :D

Let us focus on what we have in common, not what divides us. Go Blue Devils!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:23 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

They beat a highschool quarterback, so don't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back (which I think is how McCoy got 'hurt', right?). In my mind the game ended when we brought it back to 3pt difference in the 4th :D

Let us focus on what we have in common, not what divides us. Go Blue Devils!
Yeah, yeah. If Colt McCoy hadn't hurt his [strike]vagina[/strike] shoulder then UT would've won by 8 touchdowns.

Yeah Go Duke I guess. I'm one of those guys that laughs when Duke loses in the first round, so I guess I should change that now...

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:24 pm

thickfreakness wrote:Yeah, yeah. If Colt McCoy hadn't hurt his [strike]vagina[/strike] shoulder then UT would've won by 8 touchdowns.

Yeah Go Duke I guess. I'm one of those guys that laughs when Duke loses in the first round, so I guess I should change that now...
Go to Vanderbilt :evil:

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:26 pm

Or UF

(if you like to lose in the first round)
Last edited by DallasCowboy on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:27 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:Or UF
I guess I am going to have to get used to people rooting for different football teams. Not sure if I can take it. I will just have to spend time with the guy I met from OU lol (Wow I never thought I would hear myself say that...)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

poprox

Bronze

Post by poprox » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:29 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
poprox wrote:So you were next to the girl with the big round glasses? I looked right at you, but there were a lot of us in blue shirts - helps to blend with the crowd moreso than say a bowtie and an acute knowledge of Brazillian Law.
I wouldn't call them big, but yes I was sitting next to the girl who got cold-called to start the class off. You did the clinic program first and then the PI/pro bono program in that oder, yes? If so I was in those too, and during the PI session I asked about PI summer grant/award amounts. I enjoyed the PI session less than the clinic session, but maybe that was because I really wanted to go to career counseling but there were too many people. However the PI stuff was still interesting and I, like the majority of everyone else, will be committing to the 50 hour pledge. Not sure how I will spend it though, as I can be pretty stingy with my little bit of free time lol.
I totally agree about the clinic session being more enjoyable - especially the story about the student with low blood sugar passing out in court. So you know who I am and I have no idea who you are, lol. (I really don't remember, even though I did glance at you when I thought you were called on in mock contracts).
Last edited by poprox on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:31 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:
I don't like your new avatar. House was best.
Geez, you meet someone IRL and suddenly they feel qualified to judge your tar...but since I can't find a "Chuck" pic I like I'll go with House and the "death cat"

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:31 pm

NEVAR.

(Though there's a slim chance of Vandy happening.)

I'm sure Urban Meyer's so happy that he gets to go back to Bryant-Denny next year, considering his first trip was so memorable.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:32 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
I guess I am going to have to get used to people rooting for different football teams. Not sure if I can take it. I will just have to spend time with the guy I met from OU lol (Wow I never thought I would hear myself say that...)

What, we won't all be Duke football fans? They're gonna get to beat the defending national champs in Durham next year, man!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

poprox

Bronze

Post by poprox » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:33 pm

Oh, also forgot to add that I remember the grant award amount question being asked during the Pro Bono / PI session, and that was a great question. It was very helpful to find out that ~1,500 - 3,000 is what ppl tend to get.

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:39 pm

poprox wrote:Oh, also forgot to add that I remember the grant award amount question being asked during the Pro Bono / PI session, and that was a great question. It was very helpful to find out that ~1,500 - 3,000 is what ppl tend to get.
Don't forget the fact that they said that they were able to fund almost everyone who applied for a grant, although the amount of money distributed varies from year to year depending on PILF's fundraising haul.

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:40 pm

I was not aware of the Duke/Alabama game! I get to catch some SEC football after all. It would be terribly ironic for me if Duke takes out 'Bama.

I bring good luck to basketball programs when I commit to go to school there. The Gators took our first title my senior year of high school. Could Duke get the same result?

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:47 pm

poprox wrote:Oh, also forgot to add that I remember the grant award amount question being asked during the Pro Bono / PI session, and that was a great question. It was very helpful to find out that ~1,500 - 3,000 is what ppl tend to get.
Thanks, UCLA gives more though :? . Getting in for the PILF grants on top of the Dean's awards is for the win though (if thats possible). While I would love to get inside your mind and start my psychological gunning early, I don't remember you but instead I saw your long post in the ASD thread where you talked about the clinic story and the PI stuff.

Do I really have to root for Duke football? I'm sure I will, but it won't be very heart-felt. More of a way to get outside and see some people run around. I am just angry that Texas basketball jumped off a cliff. It would have been something to end up as #2 in all of baseball, football, and basketball.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”